• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
My main issue is a combination of inject and larvae usage. But I think it's due to a combination of improving. As a gold level player, obviously my macro needs work. Lately my Injects have improved a ton (finally using hotkeys well for my queens). Starting to glance at my queen energy to keep track of injects.

Now I find myself getting supply blockedaround 50-60 food or having too many larvae and floating a bit. But I find this a good thing, since I believe it's due to having a larger overall economy (more drones, more units, more larvae) than I used to. So the rest of my mechanics need to catch up.

I've been trying to practice vs a very hard terran ai on Xel-Naga and I usually miss something in the early game and mess up. Just practicing the sling expand 2 lings on ramp 1 ling on each tower. Then trying to macro. Even with that little bit of sustained pressure of marine/maurader I tend to have trouble. So hopefully this can help my macro become more automatic leaving me free to focus a lil better on scouting and keeping track of other things. I really need a way to get a solid clockwork of checks to keep my macro going strong.

I know it will not help in terms of build orders or tactics. This is more to practice macro with consistent pressure throughout the game. As at my level usually most games are decided by either cheese/early timing push or 1 big midgame/late game push. Anything in between is usually a joke compared to higher levels of play.

Sensei Hanzo

Smash Cadet
There really ought to be some kind of in-game reminder. Just a simple noise that gets made when larva drops, like when a building finishes.
Didn't they add something to the PTR for that? I guess I haven't actually tried it out, but I thought I saw something about it in the patch notes.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, I haven't tried it either, but this is curious:
- An alert has been added when MULEs expire.
- An alert has been added when the Chrono Boost buff expires.
- An alert has been added when the Spawn Larva buff expires.

It's probably just one of those side alerts like "Unit complete"

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
You can also stop talking about idiots, because it still means the game is seeing fit to pair you up with them.
I... :(

I can't even think of a comeback to that.

But yeah, now that I play Zerg, I think that I'm going to (and am right now) do a lot better. My macro is a TON better with them, etc.

I'll still play Protoss for my two tourney rounds since I signed up with them.

M@v

Subarashii!
So, I won a diamond pvz the other day by going 15 nexus and 4stargate mass voids :troll:

Also, I've been gettimg nydus wormed A LOT recently. I've beaten some back and lost to others. I don't know where this sudden popularity came from.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Can 2 bases even support 4 Stargates producing Void Rays?
http://sc2calc.org/unit_production/protoss.php
Nope... apparently you need three bases for enough gas. For 2 base, constant Probe production, one Warpgate making Zealots, and 3 Stargates seems about optimal, assuming your opponent doesn't take the opportunity to mass Hydralisks.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
So, I won a diamond pvz the other day by going 15 nexus and 4stargate mass voids :troll:

Also, I've been gettimg nydus wormed A LOT recently. I've beaten some back and lost to others. I don't know where this sudden popularity came from.
I'm at work so I can't show the video, but lately ForceStrategy released a video of a Zerg player who early expanded to a Gold followed by Nydus canals to harass two sides of a base from the natural to the second. He used muta's to snatch the vision. Was pretty clever.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'm at work so I can't show the video, but lately ForceStrategy released a video of a Zerg player who early expanded to a Gold followed by Nydus canals to harass two sides of a base from the natural to the second. He used muta's to snatch the vision. Was pretty clever.
Force is cool, I like him. I don't know if you've seen Cricket's casts on Force's channel but I'm friends with him, he's a cool guy. He's also got a channel.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

I was on or like an hour, Sveet. :/

Do you want to just call it a win for you? I'm don't really want to delay this tourney and make it end up like the last one.
...the hell? You were on for an hour, he was online, and you just didn't do anything and left? Next time try sending a message.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
...the hell? You were on for an hour, he was online, and you just didn't do anything and left? Next time try sending a message.
Why is he the only one to blame? Why didn't Sveet try to message him? Sveet leaves his SC on and Werekill doesn't, if anything that makes it easier for Sveet to tell when Werekill is on.

I know Ankoku is trying to run this thing but jeez, the fault goes both ways.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why is he the only one to blame? Why didn't Sveet try to message him? Sveet leaves his SC on and Werekill doesn't, if anything that makes it easier for Sveet to tell when Werekill is on.

I know Ankoku is trying to run this thing but jeez, the fault goes both ways.
Actually, if you're alt-tabbed out, it's pretty damn hard to tell when someone comes online unless you turned on "play sounds when minimized" too. Fortunately, as of v1.2, it happens to flash like an IM window when someone messages you.

I see Sveet online/idle all the time. How is it easier for him to constantly check back on his contacts list until someone shows up, than for someone to sign in and check the contacts list once? When you're waiting on someone to meet up at a spot, would you ask him to call you when he gets close, or would you call every 10 minutes to ask where he is? It works about the same way here, with less annoyance if you decide to check every 10 minutes.

Anyway, Sveet and Werekill, get your match in by Friday, 'cause it'll be a full week by then.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Actually, if you're alt-tabbed out, it's pretty damn hard to tell when someone comes online unless you turned on "play sounds when minimized" too. Fortunately, as of v1.2, it happens to flash like an IM window when someone messages you.

I see Sveet online/idle all the time. How is it easier for him to constantly check back on his contacts list until someone shows up, than for someone to sign in and check the contacts list once? When you're waiting on someone to meet up at a spot, would you ask him to call you when he gets close, or would you call every 10 minutes to ask where he is? It works about the same way here, with less annoyance if you decide to check every 10 minutes.

Anyway, Sveet and Werekill, get your match in by Friday, 'cause it'll be a full week by then.
Fullscreen windowed + play sounds in background

Whoo!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
May I mention that I sent 3 messages during that hour? I sent one when I first logged in, one 30 minutes later after a few matches, and one more when I left.

I also sent a skype message with my iPod, but the app is glitchy and you might not have recieved it.

Is there any way that we can play tonight?

M@v

Subarashii!
Anyone want to do the Funday Monday this week with me?

its 2v2s, and at the beginning of the match each team member announces a unit(minus workers). Its the only unit they are allowed to build all game. If its a caster, its casting abilities are all allowed.

So like one person could build only marines and one person could build only medevacs, for example.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i will be available after 8:30pm central, when i get off work. I also work early tomorrow morning which leaves the afternoon-ish open for me. If its gonna be tomorrow please tell me what time ahead of time. I get off work ~noon i believe but i really really really need to get into school so if its like 3-4 pm it could be difficult for me. I would perfer either 12-1 or 6+

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That doesn't sound as fun as the "each team member can't build units the other guy made" or the 3v3/4v4 variant of that Funday Monday. :<

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
The best funday mondays by far are still the no MMM and valentines day funday monday. Both of those are beyond hilarious.

Omni

BRoomer
i had an idea

could i use YABOT to practice macro'ing? like simply build up an army until i get to 200/200? and before i get to 200/200 i focus on things like:

- constant SCV production
- keeping minerals below a certain amount
- keeping energy for Mules/scans low

etc, etc.

for example i could work on maxing out a marine/tank as fast as possible and then try to decrease the amount of time it takes for me to get to 200/200 while still doing things like expanding, creating upgrades, etc.

i know this doesn't work in real games cuz you're facing an opponent but i feel like just getting use to building and making control groups and expanding on my own might help my macro'ing process

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
...But why?

Practice against real people to get used to macroing against actual pressure (even if it might be weak in your part of the ladder), it doesn't matter how good you are at pressing the same keys over and over in a vacuum. Trust me, no matter how well practiced you might get with macro against nobody, you'll start messing up the moment you have to actually start watching for attacks, defending them, stopping harass, or pushing out against anyone, so it's better to start where it's relevant.

Omni

BRoomer
That's like saying practicing how to shoot 3 pointers with pressure before learning how to shoot them isolated.

I understand that macro changes with pressure and an actual opponent, but it's hard to practice macro with pressure when you can barely do it without pressure.

I know that sounds ********, but yes, my macro without pressure is more than likely horrible.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
i will be available after 8:30pm central, when i get off work. I also work early tomorrow morning which leaves the afternoon-ish open for me. If its gonna be tomorrow please tell me what time ahead of time. I get off work ~noon i believe but i really really really need to get into school so if its like 3-4 pm it could be difficult for me. I would perfer either 12-1 or 6+
Ah, central time. I was actually on since 8:45-10 est last night, so that means that you were only really home for 30 minutes before I left. That explains a lot, haha.

I should be able to get on at the same time tonight, so look for me whenever you get back. I'll let you know on here if I can't do it for some odd reason.

Also, I will likely be going flower shopping for prom tomorrow, so I shouldn't be able to do anything before 5ish tomorrow anyway, haha. If we somehow aren't able to play tonight, I'll tell you a time.

That's like saying practicing how to shoot 3 pointers with pressure before learning how to shoot them isolated.

I understand that macro changes with pressure and an actual opponent, but it's hard to practice macro with pressure when you can barely do it without pressure.

I know that sounds ********, but yes, my macro without pressure is more than likely horrible.
Well, if you can learn to macro while attacking, harassing, expanding, etc, your macro should take care of itself. Really, that's more important than knowing how to do it without anything that actually happens in a match.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
omni idk if u play basketball, but i can make anything isolated

i hardley make anything in game

Top Bottom