• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I've been following Sase for a few months, this is no shock to me. He lives in korea and streams ladder for hours every day. Hes one of my favorite players.

edit- also he was pretty good at Wc3

rhan

Smash Hero
that could be interpreted as "wow i didn't think MKP was gonna win" (implying that he pull it out in the end) or "yeah i didn't think MKP was gonna win" (implying you predicted the result)
Yeah after re-reading what I posted it did have those interpretations to it.. lololol

English sucks as a language.

I should have put an exclamation mark or something for EMPHASIS!

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
I've been following Sase for a few months, this is no shock to me. He lives in korea and streams ladder for hours every day. Hes one of my favorite players.

edit- also he was pretty good at Wc3
wow that's cool looks like i have a new stream to watch then
also i hear casters talking about warcraft a lot. Are a lot of former warcraft players now starcraft2 pros or does is just happen to be the few random players i'm watching?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Kiwikaki and Sase are the first ones that come to mind. Kiwi wasnt that good though he was one of the best in NA for a while (NA sucked compared to EU/Asia). Sase was on a pro team but i can't remember which one. He was like A class, elf player i believe. Oh yeah, Demuslim was recruited to 4K near the end of their reign. At the time Grubby was the best orc in the world, ToD was the best human and FoV was the best UD and they were all on team 4K. Demuslim was recruited and then like a month later the clan disbanned and he kinda was this mid level no name star. I don't remember if he ever really got picked up by another team or did much more in wc3, but he played human (only real macro race in wc3) so its really cool to see his style in Sc2.

Limeee

Smash Champion
idra going off in MLG right now :)
im hoping for an idra vs MKP finals :3
even though its probably gonna end up being a tvt between MKP and bomber :(
:009:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, gotta hate those TvT finals where one of the Ts is already eliminated.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I wish i didnt work during all the awesomeness! Huk wins MLG! MC gets 2nd and regains his Code S spot! Idra beats Boxer and Bomber!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I might be willing to lend out my premium account if you want to watch the VODs. Or you can just wait for replays to get released, since MLG actually does that.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Is MLG going to release the replays this time? Last tournament or two they said they wouldn't for some reason or another (something about getting a hold of people's character names) but really the reason sounded like a BS excuse and that they didn't want to release them for other reasons.

Also, i have a silver membership so i should have VOD access right?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, you might. Go to the rebroadcast page and see if the VOD menu works for you.

MLG didn't release the replays because they finally pinpointed 4channers spamming players in chat to some exploit that allowed them to extract player account info from replays, and like they promised, MLG released the replays immediately after Blizzard released the next patch and addressed the issue. I imagine they'll release the ones this month sooner, since the issue is already fixed.

rhan

Smash Hero
Never realised how good Sase is.
I love watching his stream too cuz he plays good music. <3

rhan

Smash Hero
Battle Hellion = Firebat (Lame)
Warhound = Goliath (Ugly as ****. But I wanted a Goliath)
Viper = Flying Defiler (Like)
Swarm Host = Lurker (Like)

Toss was the only race that really got new ****.
Might swicth to Zerg in HOTS. Cuz I really like defilers and Lurkers.

Super EDIT:http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/bl...Multiplayer_Panel_at_BlizzCon_2011-10_21_2011

Yuup. Fml.
Probably gonna switch to Zerg once HOTS is released. They seem like more fun anyway.

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
swarm host looks really useless, it has to be buffed alot or IMO they sohuld just replace it with lurkers since swarm host almost is the same as broodlords

Frown

poekmon
swarm host looks really useless, it has to be buffed alot or IMO they sohuld just replace it with lurkers since swarm host almost is the same as broodlords
-_-

How would you know whether it's useless or not? What if it has 250 health? What if it's really cheap? At least wait until you know anything at all about its stats before you start claiming that it's imbalanced.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Does anyone mind helping me learn Terran? I'm trying to get back in this game, and since I still have the annoying habit of focus firing with every single unit that I ever attack with, I think that Terran might be a good fit.

Yes, I used to be a Zerg player, but I always screw up the lategame because there's just so many options. I just end up making Ling, Roach, and Hydra swarms. >_<

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Thanks, haha.

Btw, are siege tanks good to tech up to? They seem useful, and they're a better resource sink than my swarms of non-upgraded marines and marauders.

Edit: They also almost let me stage a comeback, but cloaked units beat me right after I scanned to see what the other guy was building. :(

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How did you only have one scan? Heavy one-basing, or did you just finish throwing down a cycle of MULEs?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
How did you only have one scan? Heavy one-basing, or did you just finish throwing down a cycle of MULEs?
I threw down a mule and scanned the other guy's base. I had forgotten about cloaked units in general, so I never saved the energy for a backup scan.

@Sveet: Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

By the way, everyone, what's the best way to deal with early marine drops behind my minerals? A bunker?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Scouting a quick Starport without a tech lab generally means they are going for Medivacs. Getting a turret or two can help a lot with this kind of drop. It is pretty easy to pick off the marines once the medivac is out of the picture.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Alrighty, cool. One of my other problems with that drop is that I don't notice them attacking until it's too late.

Another bonus of switching to Terran that I've figured out: I've always had trouble with air attackers, so having a counter always handy is useful.

Are enginneering bays useful to have earlier on, or should I wait on them?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I mean they aren't terribly expensive and getting upgrades can really win you the game, but it is kind of a balance you have to play with. Do you want it before or after you expand? Are you planning a timing attack for when you finish an upgrade or are you going to attack before hand? Does your end game strategy get significantly better by those upgrades? Do you need turrets?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
YES!!!!!!!! When i read on TL that the map pool wasnt going to change i was so disappointed. Now i have nerd chills.... I hope i make masters of this placement match, i was beating low masters all day yest :D

As for the drop stuff... what other people said is definitely right, so don't take this as refutation, i just think its more powerful to understand more theoretically since that is more dynamically usable.

In starcraft there are 3 resources that you must always be managing. 2 are pretty obvious, minerals and gas. The third is your attention; like a computer, you can only be doing or focusing on 1 thing at a quanta of time. Good harasses and attacks tend to have a lopsided attention ratio between the players. That means, it takes less attention to do the harass than to defend it. As attention becomes more an more of a limited resource (as you move down the skill range), these things tend to scale in effectiveness. Since the effectiveness tends to be so high, the risk:reward ratio is in the aggressor's favor. Because of this, aggressive strategies dominate the lower leagues while towards the plat/diam area it starts to stop working since players in that skill range can stop it with their attention level.

The key to playing a defensive macro style is to play from the minimap. Macro, but do it while keeping a constant gaze at the minimap. You have roughly 2 seconds to spot and react to drop. If you don't have units in place, move your workers until they can get there to defend. Don't move your whole army either, only bring enough to stop the drop. If you drag your whole army they could either attack your front or lift and go to your expansion or any number of annoying things.

When we were talking before I mentioned learning in steps. Macro is the first one: just learn how to make units all the time and spend your money so its not getting very high. After that you should start learning what types of units you should be building, whats good against what, ect. Doesn't matter if you spend all your money buying marauders if the zerg player shows up with 10 mutas. That is a very gradual process, as is playing from the minimap. If you improve yourself in those 3 things you will be plat/diamond by the end of this season.

rhan

Smash Hero
That's nice to know.
It could have saved me the trouble on scouting on Metal on the game I just played.

Still in Platinum for Season 4.. :[
Even though I haven't lost yet. (Only played 2 games <3)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah i got put back in diamond, too, but I hope i'll be masters in a week or so.

Tonight is free play night guys, lets do a 1v1 Obs or something! Meet in channel smashboards at 7 central?

Top Bottom