• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Tropics' Mike J. for SSBB

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ahahahah nice vid. Such a tease, though, because I really don't know how likely it is that we'll see Mike Jones as a playable character. I'm still crossing my fingers!

parrothead

Smash Lord

NukeA6

Smash Master
I once hated the idea of Mike Jones in Smash Bros. Now, I don't mind if he's in. Maybe he'll be the Ness of Brawl.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I once hated the idea of Mike Jones in Smash Bros. Now, I don't mind if he's in. Maybe he'll be the Ness of Brawl.
Ness is more about psychic moves, while Mike Jones is more about throwing objects and unusual projectiles, like bolas, spiked disks, Tink's axe, Cleo's dagger, Da Vinci's katana, astericks, and horse hydes (baseballs), and other similar objects, as well as the Snowman Dolls, the Mirror, and the spiked cleats.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Ness is more about psychic moves, while Mike Jones is more about throwing objects and unusual projectiles, like bolas, spiked disks, Tink's axe, Cleo's dagger, Da Vinci's katana, astericks, and horse hydes (baseballs), and other similar objects, as well as the Snowman Dolls, the Mirror, and the spiked cleats.
From what I'm reading, he could be the new Mr. G&W.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
LOL, that'd be funny so see!

Although, I did think a lot of Mike Jones's moves were similar to Ness's.

parrothead

Smash Lord
LOL, that'd be funny so see!

Although, I did think a lot of Mike Jones's moves were similar to Ness's.
So what do Ness and Mike have in common? Here are what all I could think of:

* They both used yo-yos, slingshots, baseball bats, and psychic moves.
* They both live in the modern day world.

And for some differences between Ness and Mike are:

* Ness has more psychic moves than Mike does.
* Mike has more non-psychic moves and items than Ness does.
* Ness is more well known than Mike.
* Excluding rereleases, remakes, and the Smash Bros. series, Mike appeared in two games, while Ness only appeared in one.
* Mike is American, while Ness is Japanese.

These are about all I could think of.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'm really crossing my fingers for Mike Jones. I dunno how likely it is that we'll see him this time around, but I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to include him.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
So what do Ness and Mike have in common? Here are what all I could think of:

* They both used yo-yos, slingshots, baseball bats, and psychic moves.
* They both live in the modern day world.

And for some differences between Ness and Mike are:

* Ness has more psychic moves than Mike does.
* Mike has more non-psychic moves and items than Ness does.
* Ness is more well known than Mike.
* Excluding rereleases, remakes, and the Smash Bros. series, Mike appeared in two games, while Ness only appeared in one.
* Mike is American, while Ness is Japanese.

These are about all I could think of.
I'd say that's more then enough, thanks.

Would it really work out? Will Sakurai really go so far as to put Mike Jones in Brawl, even though he's only been in American games?

I mean, it's one thing putting Japanese exclusive characters in, but what about the other way around. Is there a difference? There might be, if you ask me...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
OMG!!! A prepubescent Rick Astley with moves that rival that of Ness' in unoriginality!!?? Why haven't I been told?
That asinine comment is most unappreciated... :mad: And if you're going to compare him to any character, it should be Link rather than Ness as the Star Tropics series is modeled after The Legend of Zelda series, not the Earthbound/Mother games...

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Unoriginality is debatable. I think Ness's moveset is quite original because he was the first character in the Smash realm to have any sort of psychic power. Mike Jones's moveset may or may not rely on his extrasensory abilities (found only in StarTropics II, if I'm not mistaken), but his vast array of weapons would prove to be entertaining.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
That asinine comment is most unappreciated... :mad:
Free speech is a double-edged sword. And Mike came before Ness, so really, Ness is copying Mike.

I agree with Aeris, Star Tropics II was the weaker of the two (IMO, anyway), and only released in North America, I think a move set drawn from Star Tropics would be more appropiate.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Free speech is a double-edged sword. And Mike came before Ness, so really, Ness is copying Mike.

I agree with Aeris, Star Tropics II was the weaker of the two (IMO, anyway), and only released in North America, I think a move set drawn from Star Tropics would be more appropiate.
Don't get me wrong, people are free to be as stupid as they want to be, but I'm also free to express my irritation. After the countless "Who? Mike Jones!" or however the hell it goes jokes people posted in this thread, do you blame me? And the Rick Astley centered "humor" have been out of taste for quite some time now anyway...

But yeah, more than likely there is going to be a heavier emphasis on the original Star Tropics than there will be with Star Tropics II, though I would expect elements of both titles to be utilized.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
You know, I was just thinking about these games a few days ago... D*mn were they cool. Had both of them for the NES actually.

Anyway, I can actually see him, if he was implemented, as being a very original character. Though, Star Tropics was better overall, the Second one had a lot more stuff that could be added in for more originality as far as brawl would be concerned.

I think he'd be an awesome character add in, but unfortunately, I just don't think he'll be recognized by anybody...

...This suddenly has me thinking of Crystalis...

Croco

Smash Lord
You know, I was just thinking about these games a few days ago... D*mn were they cool. Had both of them for the NES actually.

Anyway, I can actually see him, if he was implemented, as being a very original character. Though, Star Tropics was better overall, the Second one had a lot more stuff that could be added in for more originality as far as brawl would be concerned.

I think he'd be an awesome character add in, but unfortunately, I just don't think he'll be recognized by anybody...

...This suddenly has me thinking of Crystalis...
Yeah I know what you mean.. but just because a character is unknown doesn't mean they won't get in Brawl.
The fact is Sakurai and his development team can write Mike Jone's character story for a trophy. Mike Jones can even be implemented with the adventure storyline. Zoda could even be on of the villains involved in the new adventure mode plot.

Oh and the whole StarTropics wasn't released in Japan problem. Well.. what if Staffy, Sena Kobayakawa, Ouendan, or even Barbara the Bat made it in? What if Sakurai includes Japan only characters AND American or European only characters? If he has the ability to do this all in time, I don't see it as a problem. So yeah if we get Staffy.. I would think we should also get Mike Jones or some other American only character.

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
I liked that idea until you got to the *nation*only stuff. There is no excuse for any game to ever have content exclusive to one region....EVER.
But that's a rant for another day. I never played those games, but the Mike Jones characters seems cool. What scares me is that he might become a Ness Clones (or Ness a him clones, however you want to look at it)
Personally, i think Mike Jones the rapper would make an interesting character as well, but maybe that's just me....

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Hahahha I remember the fat mustachioed man from the artwork that parrothead posted. Chief of Miracola, right?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Mike Jones is for lovers. =)

Really, though, I'm holding out for Mike to be the first U.S.-only character.

EDIT: Check this sig add-on created by a very nice guy (CYANLASER) from the NSider Forums

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Mike Jones is for lovers. =)

Really, though, I'm holding out for Mike to be the first U.S.-only character.

EDIT: Check this sig add-on created by a very nice guy (CYANLASER) from the NSider Forums

That's a pretty neat add-on, nice job.

Sinn

Smash Lord
StarTropics is my all time favorite NES game, and I've wanted MJ to be in Smash Bros since Melee came out. The fact that certain things about him seem similar to Ness on the surface does kinda make me wonder if they'll bother to include him (that and I'd completely forgotten that the game never came out in Japan), but there are a good number of things that they could do to make him unique:

The yo-yo was the first weapon he picked up, but it was also the WEAKEST one he ever had. In Zoda's Revenge he had a freakin' katana. I know, yet ANOTHER sword user (though...something tells me that throwing your katana for an attack isn't the most effective way to use it). Short of that, they could always stick to the original game and give him a morning star (uniqueness FTW) or the supernova...I don't even know exactly what it's supposed to be other than a morning star on crack, all I remember is that it was ungodly to use.

Also, MJ only had the bat that he could use a couple of times...it DID seem that they gave him a lot more ranged weapons than anything else. The lazer gun was another weapon that was invaluable to him in the later stages. And who can forget the cheap as all Hell snowman that froze everything on the screen? Possible final smash, anyone?

Additionally, MJ's attacks in both games had a weaker effect as he got lower on health...this is something else that they could use to make him unique. From 0-50% damage he could use the supernova and an ultra psychic shock wave, 50-100% could be the morning star and the super psychic shock wave, and anything higher could be the yo-yo and a normal, weak psychic shock wave. This is similar to the different forward smash attacks Peach had or G&W's hammer special in Melee, only it wouldn't be random.

All in all...I hope he's in Brawl. He could be a great addition.

parrothead

Smash Lord
The "morning star" is actually called the "Shooting Star". Both, the Shooting Star and the Super Nova are based on a weapon called the flail.

There is a real weapon called the morning star, but it looks more like a club with spikes on it, than a spiked ball-and-chain weapon.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Ah...it's been so long. They need to bring those out for the VC pronto.

I still wanna know what a high tech flail is supposed to look like. It was more like a spiked ball cannon than anything else.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Speaking of the VC, how would it work? After all, when the original game was released, it came with a piece of paper that was REQUIRED to get through the game, as it contained important information!

Sinn

Smash Lord
Huh, good point. Well, one thing I can think of is that when you download each game, there's certain special information that they have on the screen before you confirm. Like for Kid Icarus it mentioned that the special password feature wasn't included (for some strange reason). So they could specifically put that information in bold letters under the heading IMPORTANT on that screen.

Top Bottom