• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standing Laserlocks for n00bs

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
As we know (if not look it up), the standing laser, via laserlocks, is pretty awesome.
Most people (falco mains) I've been talking to have had the same problem: mashing B often fails when it matters most. Which of course reverses the humiliation. So I figured I'd explain how to standing laser effectively without button-mashing, since I haven't seen it explained adequately yet in the forums.

Start by double-tapping B, so that the second tap happens approximately when you hear the sound for the first laser. From that point onwards, tap B on (or just before) each sound for each laser. It won't fail, it makes you look pro, and you can preserve the energy you would have lost via mashing B as fast as you could, allowing you to keep fighting afterwards.

Tell me if this helps.

*Edit: Most of my laserlocks come from buffering lasers (or pivot lasers) on landing, in which case triple-tapping B seems to be a far safer way to begin the standing lasers. From then on, it's exactly the same. Or, hell, just mash it for a while and then start doing it properly when you get tired. But IMO it's better to try to get it right from the start.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Why thank you.
Congrats @ Raleigh btw was your match vs tearbear recorded?

pulse131

Smash Ace
thats cool. next time i have nothing better to do and im in training mode ill give this a whirl

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
haha I only put noob in the title so that pros wouldnt come on and be like 'wtf I knew this years ago' lol.

I used to press B as fast as I could and failed almost every time after about 3 lasers. Which was annoying. So I spent ages finding out how to do it properly. It's basically a tactic for people who arent good enough for mashing B (like me).

Kasper!

Smash Lord
haha I only put noob in the title so that pros wouldnt come on and be like 'wtf I knew this years ago' lol.

I used to press B as fast as I could and failed almost every time after about 3 lasers. Which was annoying. So I spent ages finding out how to do it properly. It's basically a tactic for people who arent good enough for mashing B (like me).
ah i fully understand then xD

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I hardly ever fail by mashing the button but this will certainly be helpful and energy-saving. You are a great asset to helping the environment.

(stupid joke is stupid)

Choice

Smash Champion
pressing that b button as fast as you can prepares you for the post tourney mario party competitions though.

i dunno, i guess this is kinda nifty. its only a slight inconvenience so long as you're able to shoot out the standing lasers properly.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
pressing that b button as fast as you can prepares you for the post tourney mario party competitions though.

i dunno, i guess this is kinda nifty. its only a slight inconvenience so long as you're able to shoot out the standing lasers properly.
That's true (to both points), it's just that it's so much easier to do. To me, mashing B is like always making sure your SHDLs are pivoted. Sure, I don't doubt you can do it, but it gains you nothing and requires more effort.

I'm not saying this is revolutionary, but it has helped a lot of people. I kinda feel that it should be included somewhere in the 'falco guide' or 'tips, advanced techniques and others' (as un-advanced as it is) but if it's deemed too easy or trivial don't worry I won't be offended lol

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
thanks for info but the hardest part of laser locking imo is actually getting the opponent in the correct position. any thoughts?

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but honestly the best person to give advice on this is M2K::
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162322
It's an amazingly useful thread.

The one thing it doesn't really include is actually the most common way I get laserlocks, and it's easiest on battlefield.. I could explain, but it's much more fun to watch Larry do it to M2K here [at around 1:20]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW5-l06ZSO4
It works so well because their usual response in this situation is to shield, which is the reason they fall into the laser storm. It's something to always be aware of (and practise so that you don't screw up when the chance comes). But that's very situational; for the most part you should be looking at M2K's thread for info.

**Edit: If it's not clear what he did in this video (and many other times too, but this was the only one I could find), you can use SH Bair when they're on the edge of a platform. provided they shield (but not powershield - and also if they don't shield but for some reason fail to tech), they will fall off and you can buffer some pivoted lasers for when they do. It won't work on someone who's ready for it, but it does work occasionally. And when it does, it pays off big.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
absolutely. (no homo.)
I fully intend to surpass kasper one day =P

..Let's see how far I get

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
i like te forwrd laserlock, you go forwrd and do the laserlock technique,,, it actually activates a SeCReTT TecHNQIEU of flaco, he asborbs te laser and teleportzzz with it!!!!1 it is really tru becuz if u pause the game at the midd you see laserfalco!!

Top Bottom