• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

Quetza

Smash Rookie
Corrin could learn about other characters via a conversation with said character (or stand-in for those who don't speak or have their actors available) in the style of Support Conversations.

For a Fates stage, I'd love to see the Opera House with the water and boats be made as a stage. That was an interesting setting.

In any case, I'll be happy to get Alight and Road Taken as songs.
I think the best character to fill that role is Azura as she is on your side whether each family you pick and I'm not sure if ever found out if this was Conquest or Birthright Corrin anyways.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Seems that a lot of the missing stages are the deliberately 2D ones for whatever reason.

And Wooly World's absence is somewhat strange but I;m gonna chalk that up to the task of up-res-ing wool textures.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Since kongo jungle from melee was renamed to kongo falls, i feel like that means congo jungle from n64 was indirectly confirmed. Why change the name if not to differentiate it from another stage of the same name?

It might not mean that, but i feel its good evidence. and Also remember that Mario circuit from brawl was renamed to mario kart from mario circuit to differentiate it from the Wii U mario circuit.

Mario circuit.png

So maybe you can count on other stages that share the same name change for smash ultimate such as

Peach's castle from n64 and melee
Dreamland from n64 and 3DS
Mushroom Kingdom from n64 and melee (maybe mushroom kingdom II will be renamed 'subcon')
Mute City Melee and Mute City 3DS
Yoshi's Island n64, Yoshi's Island melee and Yoshi's island Brawl

So if any of those has a name change that probably means the stage from another game that shares its name is confirmed.

PF9

Smash Lord
I think the Battlefield forms should be called Alpha forms as Alpha is a complementing word to Omega

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I really hope we see Fourside again soon, along with some potential new Mother remixes.

I’m so happy we’re getting 4 earthbound stages, I wouldn’t even complain if there were no new stages, since we’re getting magicant in HD

Last edited:

bortkupo

Smash Rookie
I would love to see Fountain of Dreams come back. It's a fan favorite for Melee fans, especially competitive players, and it would look absolutely amazing in glorious Nintendo Switch HD quality.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
In this match - https://youtu.be/lS7n-nqoRDE - Xerneas' Geomancy not only enhanced the Ice Climbers' stats but also turned them gold. Does this mean we'll see Golden Plains return?
Oh, I wonder if that's what happened in that one picture on the official website with Gold Pikachu. I was wondering what made people gold.

OMG SQUIRTLE IS SO CUTE!!! I'M SO HAPPY HE'S BACK!!!

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Is there a thread with all of the confirmed stages along with photos of them?

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I'm going to guess that the vast majority of stages that aren't redundant will make it back in, but I'm kind of wondering how many new stages there will be. I imagine there will be less new stages than Smash 4, but idk how much less.

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
Magicant being back is already amazing. Getting that sucker in HD when it was previously relegated to the 3DS makes me so happy.

As for stages we don't already know about I want:
Fountain of Dreams
Kongo Jungle 64
Fountain of Dreams
An Arms Arena
Fountain of Dreams
Fountain of Dreams
Clock Town from Majora's Mask with some cool moon descending mechanic
Fountain of Dreams.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Quick question: I have yet to play the game but in the Great Plateau Tower, besides the Old Man, are there any other unique background additions. I see Calamity Ganon’s form swirling about Hyrule Castle but is there any activity down below like enemies or Guardians? Or the Dragons? Or any of the Divine Beasts?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think it's all the stages except for the following

Sector Z - simple because Cornria and this stage are almost one and the same

Planet Zebes - same as above but by slight differences with brinstar

Basicly the stages that are too much the same as others

Kain6th

Smash Ace

i think it would be a pleasant surprise if they still brought them back anyways

They mentioned in a Gamexplain video that this could be from the new Final Destination

View attachment 148635
It could be the one on the left or the right, though the one with Meta Knight might be from Lylat Cruise
nice, i feel it could be it possibly

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
Imagine all of those being in as "Alts" for their counterpart stages? Or like Easter eggs? Like if there's a special condition you have to meet like playing at a certain time like KK Slider and instead of flying through Corneria, the Great Fox flies through Sector Z?

Could be made to work.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice

I do agree that they're similar enough to omit from this game, but I'd personally still like to see them come back.

Sector Z is much bigger than Corneria, and probably one of the better big stages in the series tbh. That being said, it could lend itself well to 8-player matches if it keeps the proportions it had in 64.

I can't find as much reasoning to have Zebes in aside from completion's sake. Ridley being the background would illustrate his history of appearing in every game in the series in some form (similar to Dedede appearing in the background of Dream Land 64). I do slightly prefer its layout to Brinstar for what its worth, but I'd probably still just play the Omega/BF layout of it.

Speaking of, what FD/BF forms are y'all most excited in seeing? I think Spear Pillar could make for a cool Battlefield variation, and while we haven't seen the actual Final Destination of the game I'm really excited that there will be a BF version. It's kind of irked me that after melee all the battlefield stages have looked really similar, so a darker one will bring much needed variety. As for Omega stages, I'm looking forward to how Shadow Moses and Fourside look, assuming Omega stages keep the walled variations like they did in 4.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Hoo boy...I’m nervous about this y’all. It’s regarding Spirit Tracks

This video, around 14:20 - https://youtu.be/KJeBylrZqUg

Is Alfonzo seriously dabbing? Have the middle school memelords moved on from Fortnite and are attempting to infiltrate our beloved Smash? I will not let that happen!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Hoo boy...I’m nervous about this y’all. It’s regarding Spirit Tracks

This video, around 14:20 - https://youtu.be/KJeBylrZqUg

Is Alfonzo seriously dabbing? Have the middle school memelords moved on from Fortnite and are attempting to infiltrate our beloved Smash? I will not let that happen!
He does a shoulder stretch and wipes sweat off his brow, didn't see a single dab in there bud.

It weirds me out that people are so scared of 'pop culture' that things need to be nitpicked like this.

Also if you didn't realise the middleschool memelords are already involved. Have you seen the Waluigi reaction?

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Quick question: I have yet to play the game but in the Great Plateau Tower, besides the Old Man, are there any other unique background additions. I see Calamity Ganon’s form swirling about Hyrule Castle but is there any activity down below like enemies or Guardians? Or the Dragons? Or any of the Divine Beasts?
Doesn't seem like there is anything else, though I suppose it is always possible that they are keeping some details hidden for now.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You know what would be cool? Alternate designs of Battlefield/Final Destination.

I always loved the space-tech design of Melee's FD.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One idea I had for Meowth's stage (if only Meowth was playable) was Celadon Game Corner. It would be a good place to have Team Rocket music and other Pokémon villain groups' music.

Celadon Game Corner (FireRed & LeafGreen)

It would have slot machines and everything would look flashy... like Las Vegas.

But also it would have those arrows on the floor that launch characters in that direction they were pointing. Why? Because the Rocket Hideout is in Celadon Game Corner.

Rocket Hideout (FireRed & LeafGreen)

Maybe the background could show a giant slot machine.

= Smash Ball and Fake Smash Ball appear
= Two Team Rocket Grunts appear and they summon :023::109:. Ekans grabs a fighter and then Koffing does what it did in Smash 64.
:025::025::025: = Pikachu appears as a stage hazard and it does Pikachu's Final Smash
:054::054::054: or :079::079::079: = Psyduck and Slowpoke appear. Psyduck mixes up a fighter's controls and then Slowpoke boosts that fighter's attack and defense (Curse)
:081::081::081: or :100::100::100: = Magnemite and Voltorb appear. Magnemite paralyzes a fighter and then Voltorb explodes next to that fighter.
:090::090::090: or :120::120::120: = Shellder and Staryu appear. Shellder grabs a fighter and then Staryu shoots at that fighter.
= two Pokeballs appear
= one Pokeball appear

This is how Celadon Game Corner looks like in Pokémon Generations.

Exterior

Interior

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

I'd go as far as to say Sector Z still has a chance.

It seems that every Star Fox stage is getting a Star Fox Zero based facelift. Corneria and Venom are returning with Star Fox Zero redesigns, and Lylat Cruise seems more vivid than in past games. Orbital Gate Assault is still MIA, but I think it's safe to say that it'd stay based on Star Fox: Assault.

Sector Z would be different, as it would still be based off of Star Fox 64. What makes it different from Corneria is their sizes. Sector Z was much larger, whereas Corneria was made to be much more compact. Bringing it back would bring back the Star Fox 64 feel, and would make for a fun 8-Player Smash stage.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You know you guys have point

Sector z is bigger than the normal corneria so could get in for a 8 player smash version of corneria

And you know what plant zebes from 64 is bigger than the brinstar stage so for the same reason it could get in 8-player s,ash purposes

Also I'm surprise no one talked about this could be when Meta crystal from 64 actually possibly becoming playable at long last

IMG_1085.PNG

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Not sure if this is entirely on-topic (if not, please ignore this post), but how do people feel about the stage builder, or how would you want the stage builder expanded upon in Ultimate?

I've always liked the idea of it, since I love to create things. So I'm really hoping that returns, I kinda want to build a stage with many ladders, since ladder attacks seem to be a new addition in Ultimate.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
As long as there is a stage builder, I'm good. But I would appreciate some QOL improvements

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Too make stage builder better make it a mix of smash 4 and brawl

Brawl had a lot of stage gimics

Smash 4 had drawing ab down very little gimics

Make it a mix of the two then this will be promising

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I would love the option of having all forms of Battlefield and Final Destination as choices in this game, especially 64 & Melee's versions since it's been forever since I've gotten to play on them and to have the 64 versions as choices for multiplayer would be amazing since we haven't ever had that option before! Also, the only new stage I desperately want is an official Bowser's Castle stage! Bowser deserves his castle as a fighting locale dammit! Plus having a collection of classic Bowser tunes to fight to would be spectacular, I hope that new remix of his theme from Super Mario Bros. 3 is an indication of Bowser's Castle being a possibility!

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I would love the option of having all forms of Battlefield and Final Destination as choices in this game, especially 64 & Melee's versions since it's been forever since I've gotten to play on them and to have the 64 versions as choices for multiplayer would be amazing since we haven't ever had that option before! Also, the only new stage I desperately want is an official Bowser's Castle stage! Bowser deserves his castle as a fighting locale dammit! Plus having a collection of classic Bowser tunes to fight to would be spectacular, I hope that new remix of his theme from Super Mario Bros. 3 is an indication of Bowser's Castle being a possibility!
You know he said in the E3 direct that all stages are getting a battlefield and omega form right?

Surprised he didn't call the battlefield stages beta form

Last edited:

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
So this might be the right place to post this and get some feedback, but have we talked about how stage selection will work in tournaments for Ultimate given that you can turn stage hazards off and pick a stage before you pick a character? I wrote something up (it's kinda long though) and would appreciate some feedback on it.

So, I decided to try and do a break down of what stages I could possibly see being made legal given that we now have the Stage Hazard Toggle, Stages are chosen before choosing your fighter, and how the random stage + ban would work for tournaments IMO. (Similar stages I have grouped together due to the lack of gameplay difference between them)

First, from what we know about how the Hazard toggle will effect stages, and what we assume. We know that the toggle will turn off stage changes (As shown with the ZeRo vs MKLeo fight on Frigate Orpheon where it never flipped), turn off hazards (as shown on Willy Castle and no platforms or yellow devil), and turns off breakables (as shown on Skyworld with ZeRo vs Leffen). With this information, we can assume that means that 1) Stages that transition or change will probably stay in their initial layout even while traveling, 2) Annoying stage hazards like Jungle Japes rushing water or perhaps Norfair's lava will be turned off and disappear, 3) Some stages with breakable platforms now create permanent Caves of Life like Skyworld or Luigi's Mansion.

So, keeping this in mind, on to the list of possible legal stages from what we know so far:

Battlefield (Including Miiverse, Midgar, Yoshi's Story)
Final Destination (Possibly including Arena Ferox and Willy Caslte [unsure if walls will disqualify])
Dreamland
Yoshi's Island [64] (If Stage Hazard removes the lingering clouds, or makes them untouchable)
Brinstar [Melee] (Assuming no acid and no breakable parts of the stage)
Green Greens [Melee] (Assuming no breakable blocks drop, leaving gaps between the platforms)
Jungle Japes [Melee] (Assuming no rushing water or random fish underneath platforms) *Yay, my favorite pasttime stage could be tournament legal!*
Pokemon Stadium [both 1 & 2]
Castle Siege [Brawl]
Frigate Orpheon [Brawl]
Lylat Cruise [Brawl] (Please let there be no tilting!)
Norfair [Brawl]
Smashville [Brawl]
Warioware Inc [Brawl] (Assuming that no mini-games don't appear)
Yoshi's Island [Brawl] (Assuming platform clouds don't appear)
Find Mii [3ds] (Assuming the Dark Emperor never shows up)
Reset Bomb Forrest [3ds]
Unova Pokemon League [3ds]
Kalos Pokemon League [Wii u]
Mushroom Kingdom U [Wii u]
Town and City [Wii u]
Wuhu island [Wii u]
Skyloft [Wii u]

*Would be legal if they are confirmed*
Delfino Plaza [Brawl}
Fountain of Dreams [Melee]
Rainbow Road [3ds]
Jungle Hijinxs [Wii u]
Pyrosphere [Wii u]

That gives us an amazing 23 legal stages for Ultimate (Not counting similar gameplay stages like Midgar from Battlefield, they are grouped as 1 stage)! I did not include stages like Halberd that used to be legal due to the toggle switch. Assuming the stages stay as they initially start, Halberd would have walk-offs. I also did not include Magicant because, as others have stated, it is highly unlikely that the toggle would remove the very bottom platform, which could cause for easy camping.

This also doesn't include the Omega and Battlefield versions of stages since that is just an insane amount now.

With random stage pick + ban, the rounds at a tournament would go as followed. All illegal stages are turned off from the random stage switch, stage hazard is toggled off. Match 1, Players open up the random stage switch and each pick 1 legal stage to turn off (banning that stage), close random stage switch, and select random. Random legal stage is selected, players chose their fighters and start. Match 2, Players open up the stage switch again, winner selects 1 legal stage to turn off (aka ban), loser selects 2 legal stages to turn off (same rules apply in the event of a 3rd match), select random to chose a stage, chose their fighters and start.

In a typical best of 3 set, out of the 23 legal stages, either 5 stages will be banned (match ends 2-0) or 8 (match ends 2-1). Following the same rules above, in a best of 5 Grand Finals, either 8 stages will be banned (3-0) 11 stages (3-1) or 14 stages (3-2), leaving at minimum a whopping 9 stages still legal come the final match of a tournament. Current rule set in Smash 4, we only have 6 legal stages period. This is a very nice jump in legal stages.

Also, unlike how the stages reset in a current Smash 4 tournament set (after each match, players re-stage strike which often means they just re-strike the same stages over and over), each ban is permanent for the duration of that set. So, for instance, say player 2 bans Town and City during that banning process of game 1. Town and City would remain off for the rest of their set. This adds more weight to their ban choices.

Of course the random stage switch would be reset after each set, once again having all 23 legal stages toggled on and all illegal stages toggled off.

I appreciate all feedback on this idea. I think it capitalizes on what Ultimate offers and greatly enhances our current legal stage picking system. Plus, it could make tournaments more fun to be in/watch with the large amount of possible legal stages.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
You know he said in the E3 direct that all stages are getting a battlefield and omega form right?

Surprised he didn't call the battlefield stages beta form
I meant like getting to play on these versions of Battlefield and Final Destination:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, lol, I just think it would be cool to have option to play on every version of Smash's own Battlefields & Final Destination since the beginning!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well it's been confirmed through an interview that not every stage will return.

Start panicking.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking at Pokemon's character pages, the stages shown in the background double up. No other series does that. I think we've seen all the Pokemon stages in the game.

RIP Pokefloats. Even if you were cobbled together from N64 assets, we still loved you

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
While it is unfortunate that not every stage will return, I'm not too shocked about that.

Only past stages I would like to see are Fountain of Dreams, Delfino Plaza (they used music from this stage when introducing stages at E3!), Pirate Ship, Golden Plains, Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Pac-Maze, Woolly World, Jungle Hijinx, Pyrosphere, Orbital Gate Assault & Gamer.

In addition to the 84 stages already confirmed (79 returning and 4 new), this would bring the total up to 96 stages. Of course, if even more return, I'd be happy about that. And I'm sure there's more new stages left to be revealed!

Top Bottom