• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
We know that the toggle will turn off stage changes (As shown with the ZeRo vs MKLeo fight on Frigate Orpheon where it never flipped),
I'd like to point out that we don't know this for certain. It's entirely possible that the inverted gravity was considered the hazard. While we don't know what settings were being used for these games we still saw the guest match FFA on Prism Tower transition AND the Invitational match on Town and City still moved between the Town and the City. It's possible that stages with weirder/more unique methods of transitioning are going to remain in one place but we don't know where that line is drawn.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
As for the not all stages return business I think it mostly deals with the duplicates not coming back. After all they cannot tell verbatim that everywhere is back if, say, Sector Z and the previous game's FD and Battlefield are out because of the new version of the latters and Corneria.

In any case I just want Hanenbow back.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm hoping we get Rainbow Road back

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I'd say if there are five stages that are all but guaranteed not to come back, it'd probably be Golden Plains, Pac-Maze, Miiverse, Pyrosphere, and Windy Hill Zone. I honestly think that we're only getting one stage per 3rd Party franchise; and on top of that, Golden Plains and Pac-Maze both featured gameplay mechanics that can only be seen by the player character (although with the Golden Pikachu, it's possible that Golden Plains will return).

Miiverse, now having been discontinued, would pretty much be just a Battlefield with nothing interesting on it. And it's spot would be much better suited for Fountain of Dreams anyways.

Finally, we have Pyrosphere. With Ridley being confirmed playable, the only way this stage could return is if the game decides to include both Ridley's simultaneously; Ridley being playable will automatically toggle stage hazard Ridley off; or Alfonzo takes Ridley's place when the latter's playable.

Alfonzo: "Leave it to me."

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'd say if there are five stages that are all but guaranteed not to come back, it'd probably be Golden Plains, Pac-Maze, Miiverse, Pyrosphere, and Windy Hill Zone. I honestly think that we're only getting one stage per 3rd Party franchise; and on top of that, Golden Plains and Pac-Maze both featured gameplay mechanics that can only be seen by the player character (although with the Golden Pikachu, it's possible that Golden Plains will return).

Miiverse, now having been discontinued, would pretty much be just a Battlefield with nothing interesting on it. And it's spot would be much better suited for Fountain of Dreams anyways.

Finally, we have Pyrosphere. With Ridley being confirmed playable, the only way this stage could return is if the game decides to include both Ridley's simultaneously; Ridley being playable will automatically toggle stage hazard Ridley off; or Alfonzo takes Ridley's place when the latter's playable.

I think the Golden Pikachu is from Xerneas' new mechanic. Evidently it turns fighters gold.

I'd hope Pac-Maze will return though. Pac-Land looks like...some quote-unquote 'artist' got ahold of Microsoft Paint. I'd much prefer a stage based on Pac-Man's more classic feel. It's easy enough to change up the ghost mechanics to get that to work, or just remove the ghosts.

SHUCKLE MAN

Smash Cadet
Firstly, I think it's been about a DECADE since I've posted here. Time flies, but I still love Nintendo and Super Smash Bros!

I think Sector Z should be included. I know it has a similar idea to Corneria from Melee, but in practice when you're actually fighting it seems like a completely different stage. I haven't played the N64 game in a long time, but I think Sector Z was possibly the biggest stage in the whole game(???), people forget how massive it was. That alone makes it quite a different experience from Corneria. Also after Super Mario 64, Orcarina of Time, Goldeneye, and maybe a couple of others, Star Fox 64 was one of the biggest surprise hits from the Nintendo 64 (probably the only reason they added Fox in the original SSB game to be honest, I don't think they would have added him off the back of just one fairly successful SNES game, they would have put Bowser or someone else instead), and the defining game of the Star Fox series, which I understand because it was my personal favourite Nintendo 64 game. I think they should include it, I will be disappointed if they don't.

Also, I love the idea of Final Destination and Battlefield versions of each stage, but in my opinion instead they should do a similar thing, but instead of making them Final Destination and Battlefield clones they should have each Omega version have a different arrangement of floating platforms, and different blast lines. That would give the competitive players a plethora of different stages to use.

I love the fact that most of the old stages, and all the characters are returning. I unfortunately never got to play SSB4 because I never got a Wii U, but if I have the money and time I would really love to play this game. Dr. Mario was my main in Melee and I was really pissed of that they removed him from Brawl. :( If I can't get it I will enjoy watching it on Youtube anyway.

Also, the Poke Floats Omega form can be an Avalugg balloon, maybe with the normal balloons from the stage floating in the background.

Out of the stages not confirmed yet, they HAVE to include:

- Mute City Melee (the Brawl version was amazing, one of my favourites, but this one is amazing too, for me and my friends we usually played on Mute City or Final Destination for more "competitive" matches and the Hyrule Castle stage for more stupid matches)
- Secotr Z (Star Fox 64 NEEDS to be represented)
- Planet Zebes (I like the stage, but the music is the best part, the best song from the Nintendo 64 game by far)
- Brinstar Depths (it was one of my favourite stages from Melee, but none of my friends liked it)

In an ideal world I would like all of them to be included, but I heard that's not happening. I wouldn't mind Hanenbow not being in, I think that was a terrible stage. Maybe if it had good music I would have at least been able to tolerate it. I think Poke Floats should be in, it's a gimmicky stage, but you can have some hilarious matches on it.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok so confirmed not all of them will come back not to surprising

So I think the following will come back (only mentioning safe bets and very possible)

Smash 64

Kongo jungle - this one was in smash 4 and even has a omega form so practical confirmed in some sort of way

Peaches Castle - Same as Kongo jungle and Dlc is base this time

Meta crystal - this stage has never ben playable so I feel like they may do it for this but not betting on it though

Melee

Fountain of dreams - huge fan request and practically battlefield already

Brinstar depths - I'm actually pretty sure it's not coming back but I think they would do it for laughs of kraken a hazard and Ridley is playable

poke floats - actually more like poke floats 2 updated with other generations and a avalugg can play the part for the omega form

Rainbow cruise - wouldn't be too shocked if this popular stage returns

Yoshis island - this stage has ben here since melee it ain't going nowhere (I think)

Brawl
Defino plaza - with bowser jr this stage should be a keeper plus it didn't come back from brawl

Pirate ship - popular stage that was in smash 4

Mario bros - this stage is one that I was sad didn't come back in smash Wii U/3ds I'm just hoping for this one to come back

Wii U/3DS

Pac-maze - yeeea I will eat my shoes if this doesn't come back is how confident I am

Gamer - this one is in my favorite stages catergory believe it or not I just hope it comes back

Jungle hijinx - the stage present the resurrection of DK country so if it came back wouldn't surprise me

Orbital gate - wouldn't surprise me for this one to come back honestly

Pyrosphere - this one is a long shot since this stage is not very liked but I'm sure they can't resist playable Ridley vs boss hazard Ridley

Windy hills Z - another tough shot but it's a somewhat a better version of the green hills stage

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Does anybody think that they will try to give every fighter atleast one stage that represents them? A recent leak suggested even R.O.B is getting a level. Thought I don’t believe the leak is real. I do think there’s a “good chance” everyone may get some sort of stage.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Does anybody think that they will try to give every fighter atleast one stage that represents them? A recent leak suggested even R.O.B is getting a level. Thought I don’t believe the leak is real. I do think there’s a “good chance” everyone may get some sort of stage.
If you look at ROB's character page, he's the only one without a stage in the background. Take that as you will

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
You know you guys have point

Sector z is bigger than the normal corneria so could get in for a 8 player smash version of corneria

And you know what plant zebes from 64 is bigger than the brinstar stage so for the same reason it could get in 8-player s,ash purposes

Also I'm surprise no one talked about this could be when Meta crystal from 64 actually possibly becoming playable at long last

View attachment 150195
I know all the 64 stages so far have their classic low-poly graphics, but if they bring back Meta crystal I'd like them to give it a full makeover. It would become a beautiful looking stage.

Lucas Storey

Smash Cadet
As for the not all stages return business I think it mostly deals with the duplicates not coming back. After all they cannot tell verbatim that everywhere is back if, say, Sector Z and the previous game's FD and Battlefield are out because of the new version of the latters and Corneria.

In any case I just want Hanenbow back.
What do you think about Orbital Gate Assault do you think that stage will come back?

For Pac-Maze: I didn't know that
For Golden Plains: - I disagree... Granted Sakurai might not like it, but I don't think it's because of the game-play mechanics in it.
One stage per third party: nah. one CHARACTER per third party might actually be true but I don't think it's true for stages since there's no license fee.

I would like all of the stages to return except miiverse. Not a fan of seeing Mii fighters suck everywhere.

I know all the 64 stages so far have their classic low-poly graphics, but if they bring back Meta crystal I'd like them to give it a full makeover. It would become a beautiful looking stage.
what's Meta Crystal?

To:
LunarDistortion LunarDistortion

I would Like to see the 3DS and wii U stages come back, especally if the game is a port like veryone keeps saying!

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I really just want to see all the Melee and 3DS stages back. It'd be amazing to see them all in HD, and even with the new mechanics when it comes to Melee.

I feel like the Melee stages held a middle ground between the static stages of 64 and the variable stages of Wii U. I feel like they're so strange and fun they need to come back. Imagine Mushroom Kingdom I, Brinstar Depths, the original Mute City, Pokefloats, and Icicle Mountain back. Even if you don't like a few of them, I feel like it'd be nice to have them around anyways right?

Keenwah

Smash Rookie
We have Waluigi Pinball as a song, now all we need is a Waluigi Pinball stage. I'm tired of Mario Circuit (even though it's only been two games) and it's the least Sakurai can do if Waluigi is an assist trophy again.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I do agree with most but..

Pac-maze might be a acception since that is where it all started for PAC-man (history purposes)

And the pyrosphere well I do agree due to not so popular stage but that Ridley on the stage is actually a clone of the real Ridley so both can exist on that stage

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Not sure if this is entirely on-topic (if not, please ignore this post), but how do people feel about the stage builder, or how would you want the stage builder expanded upon in Ultimate?

I've always liked the idea of it, since I love to create things. So I'm really hoping that returns, I kinda want to build a stage with many ladders, since ladder attacks seem to be a new addition in Ultimate.
As long as there is a stage builder, I'm good. But I would appreciate some QOL improvements
I want the Stage Builder to return so badly. So many fun layouts were made by the fans, it wouldn't be Ultimate without it.

Too make stage builder better make it a mix of smash 4 and brawl

Brawl had a lot of stage gimics

Smash 4 had drawing ab down very little gimics

Make it a mix of the two then this will be promising
I like this idea. It'd be great to recreate favorite custom stages from Brawl and Smash 4.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Do we reckon we won't get that many new stages in the game, just as with getting fewer new characters?
Personally, this isn't the biggest issue for me, as getting stages like Magicant (and potentially Fountain of Dreams) makes up for it. Really, the main reason I look forward to new stages is for new music remixes, which I do hope we get more of this time.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Here are my stage predictions/wants:

Returning Stages (Not yet confirmed):
Peach's Castle
Mushroom Kingdom
Kongo Jungle
Planet Zebes
Sector Z
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Fountain of Dreams
Delfino Plaza
Pirate Ship
Paper Mario
Rainbow Road
Mute City (3DS)
Jungle Hijinxs
Woolly World
Orbital Gate Assault
Gamer

New Stages (Including those already confirmed):
Battlefield (Super Smash Bros.)
Final Destination (Super Smash Bros.)
New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)
Forest Maze (Super Mario RPG)
Spooky Trails (Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle)
Autumn Heights (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
Great Plateau Tower (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
Pyramid (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)
Jungle Floor (Super Metroid)
City Trial (Kirby Air Ride)
Pokémon Stadium 3 (Pokémon Series)
Aether Foundation (Pokémon Sun/Moon)
New Los Angeles (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Moray Towers (Splatoon)
Mother Base (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain)
Mirage Saloon Zone (Sonic Mania)
Chill Penguin Stage (Mega Man X)
Championship DX Maze (Pac-Man Championship Edition DX)
Temple Hideout (Street Fighter II)
Golden Saucer (Final Fantasy VII)
World of Chaos - Bayonetta 2 Intro Level (Bayonetta 2)
Dracula's Castle (Super Castlevania IV)
Click Clock Wood (Banjo-Kazooie)
Minecraft (Minecraft)
PictoChat X (PictoChat) (Combined Version of PictoChat and PictoChat 2)

There might be too many new stages, but oh well.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see some Pokémon Go representation because of how much of a phenomenon it became, and I think a stage is most likely. What do you think it would be though? Maybe a stage modeled after the map screen? Or another transforming stage that transitions between forms based on Valor, Instinct and Mystic?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smash Ultimate might not get many new stages since we already have 70+ old stages coming back. :ohwell:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
A remix from city trials in Kirby air ride is a song

Smash run song or the actual city from city trial as a stage perhaps

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
City Trial would be dope since that place itself has so many things going on, though I'm sure it would be one of those giant stages tailored for 8-player Smash. Which I don't partake enough since I rarely get to play with 8 people and just end up picking it by accident when playing random stages on 3 or less people.
Give me an overhauled Smash Run instead! With players sharing the same overworld, 8-player, online mode and even more than one stage!.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Out of the unconfirmed stages, here's what I'd what I would like to appear.

Super Smash Bros.
The rest of the multiplayer stages plus the 1P Game exclusive stages of: Meta Crystal, Duel Zone AKA Battlefield, and Final Destination. The size of the Great Fox in the Sector Z compared with the fighters would be the same size as in the original game.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City (Melee)
Mushroom Kingdom 1
Trophy Collector
Battlefield
Final Destination

Brawl
Delfino Plaza
Hanenbow: now with swimmable water
Subspace: the place where the player fought the Subspace duplicates. The semisolid platforms are randomized and are based on layouts used in SSE). My Music selections would be Step Subspace, Step Subspace 2, and Step Subspace 3
Tabuu's Residence: Might need an official name like Subspace Core. I'm iffy if I would have Tabuu as a stage hazard/boss. My Music selections would be Boss Battle, Boss Battle Song 1, and Boss Battle Song 2
Battlefield
Final Destination

3DS
Rainbow Road
Dream Land 3DS
Pac-Maze

Wii U
Gamer
Battlefield
Final Destination

I know I have listed the various versions of Battlefield and Final Destination as well as Sector Z and some odd choices. I like the visuals of the Battlefields and Final Destinations. I also would like to battle on previous single player only stages. A guy can dream.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Stone Tower Temple (Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask), my favorite dungeon in the series with the potential for some memorable stage gimmicks. Not to mention the incredible music it could have.

Krazy Kremland (Donkey Kong Country 2), because I feel like another pirate ship would be unnecessary and we currently do NOT have a theme park stage. And what better theme park than a dark one representing K Rool and the Kremlings? Yeaaah buddy.

Saturn Valley (Mother 2 and 3), a colorful place teeming with Mr Saturns that is a pretty sigificant location in the series. Also lots of demand for this.

Crateria (Super Metroid), as a massive sized stage with an earth-crust view. We don't have a lot of giant stages yet and Metroid keeps getting freaking lava areas. Just imagine one of those geographical side-view textbook maps, but it's a labrynth from Super Metroid and crawling with enemies. It's a dreamy idea that would never happen, but would rock so freaking hard.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I'd absolutely love an advance Wars stage.

Not entirely sure how it'd work, but this series definitely needs some more representation.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'd absolutely love an advance Wars stage.

Not entirely sure how it'd work, but this series definitely needs some more representation.
We had some discussion on this in the Andy support thread. Ura Ura talked of a transition stage between land, water and air battles while COs activate their powers occasionally, while I wanted to keep it more simple and have it just be be one aircraft carrier deck that gets hit by CO powers, bombing runs, torpedoes and also has the jets taking off and landing

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
We had some discussion on this in the Andy support thread. Ura Ura talked of a transition stage between land, water and air battles while COs activate their powers occasionally, while I wanted to keep it more simple and have it just be be one aircraft carrier deck that gets hit by CO powers, bombing runs, torpedoes and also has the jets taking off and landing
Yeah basically that. I guess the best comparison would be the 3DS Paper Mario stage but even then the Advance Wars stage would be much more dynamic than that with all the chaos going in the battlefield.

CO's Powers would function similar to Summons on the Midgar stage.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
An Advance Wars stage would be something cool to see, although I don't know a lot about the series, so I don't know what to expect.

On the topic of stages for old series, I'd love a Custom Robo stage. Made a Holosseum concept back in the Stage Competition Thread a little while back, but I'd be happy with anything. Would be nice to see more old series receive representation as stages.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
My Wishlist:
  • Melee's Fountain of Dreams
  • Sonic Adventure's grounded Egg Carrier
  • LoZ's Twilight Palace
  • Pokemon's Sky Pillar
  • Splatoon's Saltspray Rig
  • MGS2's Arsenal Gear

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Divine Beast Vah Medoh - Breath of the Wild

Any Divine Beast would work in my opinion, but I chose Vah Medoh because it's pretty much akin to a giant platform in the air. It could work similarly to the Mega Man stage with Windblight Ganon appearing on occasion instead. And perhaps there's the occasional gust of wind from the fans which blow fighters into the air.

Cavern of the Gods - Endless Ocean Blue World

Good rep for a series in desperate need of one. Could have some cool water physics while all sorts of interesting creatures swam in the background. Even could add something like a day and night cycle which changes the hazards. Day has the peaceful singing dragons swimming around while night has the Okeanos Guardian which will swoop in every now and then to take a bite out of some sucker. Also, Cavern of the Gods' theme would be well... Godlike to listen to during the fight.

Ultra Deep Sea - Pokemon Sun and Moon

Out of all the places in Alola, or rather... In a dimension lightyears away from Alola, I think this is the stage that'd be the coolest. With its dark and eerie atmosphere, story relevance, and potential for some amazing tunes like Mother Beast Lusamine or even the Guzma Theme. And Nihilego could be just sorta floatin' around watching the battle. A second one would probably be the top of the tower where you fight Ultra Necrozma in

Olethro Playhouse - Xenoblade 2

Olethro Playhouse would be absolutely perfect as a stage in Smash Bros. It's got an amazing aesthetic with the sea of clouds behind it, the occasional petal rain, and the beastly titan's tail behind. It also has some level of story relevance, though that'd be getting into spoiler territory. All in all, this is the one I'd love to see the most. It fits everything a stage should be and more.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Divine Beast Vah Medoh - Breath of the Wild

Any Divine Beast would work in my opinion, but I chose Vah Medoh because it's pretty much akin to a giant platform in the air. It could work similarly to the Mega Man stage with Windblight Ganon appearing on occasion instead. And perhaps there's the occasional gust of wind from the fans which blow fighters into the air.

Cavern of the Gods - Endless Ocean Blue World

Good rep for a series in desperate need of one. Could have some cool water physics while all sorts of interesting creatures swam in the background. Even could add something like a day and night cycle which changes the hazards. Day has the peaceful singing dragons swimming around while night has the Okeanos Guardian which will swoop in every now and then to take a bite out of some sucker. Also, Cavern of the Gods' theme would be well... Godlike to listen to during the fight.

Ultra Deep Sea - Pokemon Sun and Moon

Out of all the places in Alola, or rather... In a dimension lightyears away from Alola, I think this is the stage that'd be the coolest. With its dark and eerie atmosphere, story relevance, and potential for some amazing tunes like Mother Beast Lusamine or even the Guzma Theme. And Nihilego could be just sorta floatin' around watching the battle. A second one would probably be the top of the tower where you fight Ultra Necrozma in

Olethro Playhouse - Xenoblade 2

Olethro Playhouse would be absolutely perfect as a stage in Smash Bros. It's got an amazing aesthetic with the sea of clouds behind it, the occasional petal rain, and the beastly titan's tail behind. It also has some level of story relevance, though that'd be getting into spoiler territory. All in all, this is the one I'd love to see the most. It fits everything a stage should be and more.
Medoh would be pretty cool, it could have a more dramatic tilt affect than Lylat Cruise, or even have the stage rotate completely at times to change the layout. Of course, should it be included, I really hope they don't ruin it with a boss.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
64 metal crystal
Melee fountain of dreams
Brawl delfino plaza priate ship
3ds rainbow road
Wii u Pyrosphere
New Tetris style stage

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Returning Stage Expectation Tier List:

Music Spoiler Tier:
Delfino Plaza
Brinstar Depths

We already know that music associated with these stages are in the game and prominently advertised. Delfino Plaza is an iconic Brawl stage already implemented in WiiU, while Brinstar Depths is a very unique stage while also being relatively simple to recreate. (Plus, there are very few Metroid stages, and Metroid is taking a more central role in this game's brand. It's a no-brainer.)

Top Tier:
Kongo Jungle 64
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Both these stages have been featured in FOUR out of five Smash games, including already being implemented in WiiU. It's probably just a fluke that we haven't seen them yet. (With so many stages and limited footage, some are bound to not be in shown.)

High Tier:
Peach's Castle (64)
Pirate Ship

These two memorable legacy stages are already implemented in WiiU as DLC, and all other Smash 4 DLC stages have been confirmed. Pirate Ship is Toon Link's signature stage, and its inclusion would mark the return of all 9 Zelda stages.

Almost-High Tier:
Rainbow Cruise

This is the only remaining stage not confirmed for Ultimate that was featured in multiple previous Smash games. It is very memorable and iconic. It is not already implemented in WiiU and would be one of the more intensive stages to recreate, but it is the #1 Melee stage not in Smash 4 that I'd expect to return.

Mid Tier:
Big Battlefield
Gamer
Jungle Hijinx
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Windy Hill Zone
Pyrosphere

These WiiU stages are already implemented. Big Battlefield might expect a redesign, though, and there are obvious questions about Ridley when it comes to Pyrosphere.

Upper-Low Tier:
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City (Melee)
Icicle Mountain
Poke Floats
Paper Mario
Rainbow Road
Pac-Maze

All of these stages were only featured in their original game and would have to be re-implemented, but are iconic or beloved stages that I suspect are more likely to be considered. Icicle Mountain would require a decent amount of work, but ICs returning is a big deal and it's hard to imagine them on just Summit. Pac-Maze would require removing its 3DS-specific gimmicks, but I can't imagine PAC-MAN being included without his ultra-iconic home. (It helps that it would otherwise be very cheap to recreate...)

Middle-Low Tier:
Planet Zebes
Mushroom Kingdom (64)
Rumble Falls
Mario Bros.
Hanenbow

These are one-off stages that I think are less likely to be implemented. Rumble Falls would be a very expensive stage to recreate in HD, and the others are unpopular, awkward stages.

Lower-Low Tier:
Sector Z
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
Golden Plains
Mute City (3DS)
Dream Land (3DS)

If you were going to cut stages (and we have been told that stages are being cut), these are the first stages I'd expect to be cut. Many are redundant, and Golden Plains's gimmick is 3DS-specific.

Bottom Tier:
Miiverse

It's dead, Jim.

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
Returning Stage Expectation Tier List:

Music Spoiler Tier:
Delfino Plaza
Brinstar Depths

We already know that music associated with these stages are in the game and prominently advertised. Delfino Plaza is an iconic Brawl stage already implemented in WiiU, while Brinstar Depths is a very unique stage while also being relatively simple to recreate. (Plus, there are very few Metroid stages, and Metroid is taking a more central role in this game's brand. It's a no-brainer.)

Top Tier:
Kongo Jungle 64
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Both these stages have been featured in FOUR out of five Smash games, including already being implemented in WiiU. It's probably just a fluke that we haven't seen them yet. (With so many stages and limited footage, some are bound to not be in shown.)

High Tier:
Peach's Castle (64)
Pirate Ship

These two memorable legacy stages are already implemented in WiiU as DLC, and all other Smash 4 DLC stages have been confirmed. Pirate Ship is Toon Link's signature stage, and its inclusion would mark the return of all 9 Zelda stages.

Almost-High Tier:
Rainbow Cruise

This is the only remaining stage not confirmed for Ultimate that was featured in multiple previous Smash games. It is very memorable and iconic. It is not already implemented in WiiU and would be one of the more intensive stages to recreate, but it is the #1 Melee stage not in Smash 4 that I'd expect to return.

Mid Tier:
Big Battlefield
Gamer
Jungle Hijinx
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Windy Hill Zone
Pyrosphere

These WiiU stages are already implemented. Big Battlefield might expect a redesign, though, and there are obvious questions about Ridley when it comes to Pyrosphere.

Upper-Low Tier:
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City (Melee)
Icicle Mountain
Poke Floats
Paper Mario
Rainbow Road
Pac-Maze

All of these stages were only featured in their original game and would have to be re-implemented, but are iconic or beloved stages that I suspect are more likely to be considered. Icicle Mountain would require a decent amount of work, but ICs returning is a big deal and it's hard to imagine them on just Summit. Pac-Maze would require removing its 3DS-specific gimmicks, but I can't imagine PAC-MAN being included without his ultra-iconic home. (It helps that it would otherwise be very cheap to recreate...)

Middle-Low Tier:
Planet Zebes
Mushroom Kingdom (64)
Rumble Falls
Mario Bros.
Hanenbow

These are one-off stages that I think are less likely to be implemented. Rumble Falls would be a very expensive stage to recreate in HD, and the others are unpopular, awkward stages.

Lower-Low Tier:
Sector Z
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
Golden Plains
Mute City (3DS)
Dream Land (3DS)

If you were going to cut stages (and we have been told that stages are being cut), these are the first stages I'd expect to be cut. Many are redundant, and Golden Plains's gimmick is 3DS-specific.

Bottom Tier:
Miiverse

It's dead, Jim.
Forgot Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice
Out of the unconfirmed past stages I see every stage minus Miiverse, alternate versions of BF and FD, and FlatZone and PictoChat 1 and 2. I see FlatZone X returning and PictoChat 1 and 2 becoming PictoChat X. I wish Nintendo would've done the same with Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 and made those into a combined "X" stage.

As for new stages I would love to see:
• Bowser's Castle
• Bowser Jr.'s Airship Armada (Super Mario Galaxy)
• Castle Bleck (Super Paper Mario)
• Castle Dedede (Kirby Star Allies)
• Chemical Plant -or- Radical Highway (Sonic the Hedgehog)
• City Trial UFO (Kirby Air Ride)
• Frozen Frenzy (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
• Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country 3)
• Ganon's Tower (Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker)
• Grunty's Castle Top (Banjo-Kazooie)
-Grunty would swoop in on her broom from time-to-time as a stage hazard
• Ice Climber
-You would fight on top of the structure from the original Ice Climber game. And the stage would still look blocky to make it resemble the original 8-bit game.
• Ramen Bowl -or- Snake Park (ARMS)
• Shakedown Schooner (Wario Land)
- "Wario Land" Stage from Project M
• Stardust Fields (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga)
• Stormy Ascent (Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy)
• Tetris
-Once the blocks fall in place, they can be used as platforms. But be careful not to be crushed by them.
• Twilight Town (Paper Mario: TTYD)
• Underworld (Kid Icarus)
• Walleye Tumble Temple (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker)
-You fight on top of the bridge. Enemies can be thrown into the Walleyes for damage and the bridge may break.
• Wonky Circus (Wario World)
• Stage from Snipperclips
• Stage from Sushi Striker
• Stage from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
• Stage from Fire Emblem: Three Houses
• Stage from Mega Man 11
• Stage from Bayonetta 3
• Stage from Yoshi for Nintendo Switch
• Stage from Rhythm Heaven

Top Bottom