• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Progress Stage Model Imports

Which is more important?

• Total voters

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
WarioWare, Inc.
[Zankyou with a touch of Achilles]

Download

View attachment 80428

- item spawns added
- background grey made darker
- removed the plant and stoplight textures, shrunk stupid pigface to 75% original size
- removed the use of color nodes for stage elements in order to make them brighter
- removed character shadows on platforms due to shadows being portrayed on all platform faces
- changed stage element outlines from grey to blue, similar to the original brawl stage
- added stage file wall flags
- camera zoomed out slightly
- camera limits increased by 10 to 15 meleemeters. I know the "small camera limits" are part of the original stage design, but it was just annoyingly small.
Yesss! This is easily one of my favorite stages in PM.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
You mean with the GBA surrounding? Cause that'd be filthy. There were also quite a few comments on Scrumpys showcase of the stage with people asking for the minigames portion of the stage to be implemented too but whether or not it can be it didn't seem to be your intention.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
You mean with the GBA surrounding? Cause that'd be filthy. There were also quite a few comments on Scrumpys showcase of the stage with people asking for the minigames portion of the stage to be implemented too but whether or not it can be it didn't seem to be your intention.
I liked that vid, but the video description bugs me. "All credit" absolutely does not go to me. 99.99% goes to Zankyou.

Zankyou, did you ever look back into the color problems on Hyrule 64? Is there any way I can help troubleshoot this myself without actually knowing your import process?

zankyou

Smash Lord
I liked that vid, but the video description bugs me. "All credit" absolutely does not go to me. 99.99% goes to Zankyou.

Zankyou, did you ever look back into the color problems on Hyrule 64? Is there any way I can help troubleshoot this myself without actually knowing your import process?
There are things that can be done to figure out the problem, but if its not an issue with how Im importing and is the displaylist its not really going to be possible to fix. This issue looks like its trying to load data thats not part of the color struct. Like its running too far. Ive checked a few times to see if I messed up a pointer somewhere but didnt find anything. There are other errors that could be going on but would require me to import again. Most likely culprit would be alignment.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Battlefino Plaza
[Zankyou/Achilles]

• Main stage floor functions like a platform that cannot be passed through from above.
Download

View attachment 80514
Absolutely wonderful. I can see Peach having a hay-day on this stage for the same reason Mute City became banned, but I've always wanted something like this so it's defiantly getting added to my iso. <3

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
General rule is if it moves then no. Why I havent done smashville yet. Although I think Ive figured out how to tie collisions to objects. But I still need a lot of experimenting to do.

SNESter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Daysonias
3DS FC
5086-2144-3450
WarioWare, Inc.
[Zankyou with a touch of Achilles]

Download

View attachment 80428

- item spawns added
- background grey made darker
- removed the plant and stoplight textures, shrunk stupid pigface to 75% original size
- removed the use of color nodes for stage elements in order to make them brighter
- removed character shadows on platforms due to shadows being portrayed on all platform faces
- changed stage element outlines from grey to blue, similar to the original brawl stage
- added stage file wall flags
- camera zoomed out slightly
- camera limits increased by 10 to 15 meleemeters. I know the "small camera limits" are part of the original stage design, but it was just annoyingly small.
I tried putting in and when i choose the stage my game froze. How can i fix

zankyou

Smash Lord
I'm not complaining but I'm curious to know why you didn't use the f-zero mute city stage as the foundation for delfino?
Because that would imply he would be stage editing mute city which is more of a chore than editing a static stage.

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
Because that would imply he would be stage editing mute city which is more of a chore than editing a static stage.
XD That's what I'm thinking too but I want to hear the "real real" reason.
Not only that(!) but I can assume that the transforming stages introduces too many random elements which is just too casual for this man who has already admitted to disliking whispy O:

DRGN

Technowizard
Just discovered this thread. It's incredible! How do you guys do this?? If its too complex a quick summary will do :)
First, turn on two of your supercomputers. Set your Medusa thermal controller to 50 degrees Celsius, and make sure your hydrogen and bromine tank valves are set to around 7 acm/h....

zankyou

Smash Lord
So it seems collision are always stored in the same spot and can be updated on the fly. 1 step towards smashville. Now if it were only possible to move objects on the fly.
On a side note I wonder if removing shadows would make the stages less intensive. If something had to go that would be the first since I cant control the face the shadow appears on anyways.
Just discovered this thread. It's incredible! How do you guys do this?? If its too complex a quick summary will do :)
If there was an easy way to explain it I would have made a guide. Im taking a PAC file, extracting data from it, and then making equivalent structures for the dat file. Theres a bit of trial and error involved with it as well and melee doesnt support everything brawl does.
First, turn on two of your supercomputers. Set your Medusa thermal controller to 50 degrees Celsius, and make sure your hydrogen and bromine tank valves are set to around 7 acm/h....
lol

Edit: And you can update model bones on the fly. I just dont know how to get there.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord

ITS ABOUT SOMEONE IMPORTED THIS TO BRAWL.
Now to import it to melee. I dont care how much it lags.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Even if my computer is core i7 6700k+GTX960+memory16GB ?

BTW, how about this idea for new stage?
Dolphin is fine. Only problem with that is the ram limit but even then dumping images onto the gpu would double size I have to work with. Its just the gc is 15 years old.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Best I could do. Its already 2.4MB and I didnt even add the floating background objects. The original background itself was 1 MB but I couldnt get it to render properly so were back to this sky and sunshine setting.

I want to at least try and get the moon working as well as move the sunshine a bit.
Now I have to sleep for a few hours before my class, was entirely too excited about this stage to sleep.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Best I could do. Its already 2.4MB and I didnt even add the floating background objects. The original background itself was 1 MB but I couldnt get it to render properly so were back to this sky and sunshine setting.

I want to at least try and get the moon working as well as move the sunshine a bit.
Now I have to sleep for a few hours before my class, was entirely too excited about this stage to sleep.
Looks amazing. Have you noticed any lag with the sky background? I'm a 100% proponent of having the simplest background possible to make the stage run smoothly.

Serious question:
Can you open up a "Give me [insert dollar amount here] and I'll import a stage for you" fund?

DRGN

Technowizard
Do we know what the largest factors for game slowdown are? Of course, I assume it's between number of objects, and sizes of the textures. But knowing the balance of these two things will be important as we try to optimize stages to eliminate lag. For example, if we find out that one of them doesn't even matter nearly as much as the other, we wouldn't have to cut down on it as much and we can get the most out of the stages. We'll need to come up with some good experiments.

Also, zankyou, what do you do to the scale when you're importing these? If these are typically much smaller than the originals, we should be able to reduce the sizes of the textures with little to no noticeable difference.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Looks amazing. Have you noticed any lag with the sky background? I'm a 100% proponent of having the simplest background possible to make the stage run smoothly.

Serious question:
Can you open up a "Give me [insert dollar amount here] and I'll import a stage for you" fund?
If only I could get paid to mod melee.
This was supposed to be the (small) version of the stage lol. But things just added up too fast and its looks like it might be slightly less intensive than kalos league. I wouldnt be surprised if this sky is about the same intensity as the default one. I could get rid of some stage elements though to make it a little less intensive.
Do we know what the largest factors for game slowdown are? Of course, I assume it's between number of objects, and sizes of the textures. But knowing the balance of these two things will be important as we try to optimize stages to eliminate lag. For example, if we find out that one of them doesn't even matter nearly as much as the other, we wouldn't have to cut down on it as much and we can get the most out of the stages. We'll need to come up with some good experiments.

Also, zankyou, what do you do to the scale when you're importing these? If these are typically much smaller than the originals, we should be able to reduce the sizes of the textures with little to no noticeable difference.
I dont know. If I had to guess polygon count. The textures may be bit bigger but there are far less of them. Mipmaps are one thing Id like to look into but I dont think thats really a big factor. Most stages Im importing dont have them anyways. One of the biggest flaws with my importing method is that I dont know how to attach multiple textures to 1 object, so I end up duplicating the object to get the textures I need. For high poly object this could be a source of lag. Ive also had the issue of creating ridiculous amount of lag if its done wrong.
Optimizing pac files to be imported is something I planned on looking at after I figured out all of the nuances to importing.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Almost runs 4 ICs match perfectly so pretty anything you use it for shouldnt lag.. In general Ive been trying to make a stage thats around the intensity of FoD and a version thats as light as possible while maintaining the important parts. So you should generally not expect performance better than FoD on these stages. That being said I removed part of the bottom because Id rather have those polygons go towards one of the background objects for the more intensive version of the stage.

DRGN

Technowizard
I took this, and took the 10 largest textures, all 256 x 256, and shrunk them down to 128 x 128 each.

The before & after difference is visually slightly noticeable:

00000000-7.png

00000000-9.png

But more importantly, I found that it didn't seem to impact performance. So apparently, the number of objects or polygons is more important. Then again, if the game needs to stretch them to render them, essentially creating a new image of the target size, then it might just be doing that before loading them to memory for use, so effectively the textures would still be the same size during rendering (I'm assuming they would only be stretched and loaded once).

zankyou, what do you do to the scale when you're importing these? I'm wondering if there are larger versions of these textures, because next I'd like to try doubling them to 512 x 512 instead. Also, if we shrunk the stage to 50% size, we'd have the same object and polygon counts, but the textures would be covering less area, so maybe the game (if it is indeed just stretching them prior to loading) would think the textures wouldn't need to be stretched anymore, and we'd see the "true" impact of smaller textures.

Edit: attached the file with the reduced texture sizes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Itaru

MasterGanon

Awesome!!

I want high quality version XD (even if it will be very heavy.)

And, camera is too close (like Old yoshi stage)

BTW, I want your stages to be more convenience. So, how about this?

Example(in 20XX)

Brinstar depths -> kalos league
Brinstar DANGER -> Metroid Lab
Old kongo jungle -> Toy time
Adventure mode F-Zero -> hyrule 64
rainbow cruise -> battlefino plaza
Ice climber -> WiiU Battlefield

zankyou

Smash Lord
Awesome!!

I want high quality version XD (even if it will be very heavy.)

And, camera is too close (like Old yoshi stage)

BTW, I want your stages to be more convenience. So, how about this?

Example(in 20XX)

Brinstar depths -> kalos league
Brinstar DANGER -> Metroid Lab
Old kongo jungle -> Toy time
Adventure mode F-Zero -> hyrule 64
rainbow cruise -> battlefino plaza
Ice climber -> WiiU Battlefield
When I update the OP ill explain how to easily change those. That being said youll have to pick on of each file name or learn how to patch files yourself.
A more intensive version is coming, but even if I ignore the lag I still have to stay under ~3MBs (2.5MBs for teams) so I have to find the right balance of objects to import for the best result.
I took this, and took the 10 largest textures, all 256 x 256, and shrunk them down to 128 x 128 each.

The before & after difference is visually slightly noticeable:

View attachment 81174

View attachment 81177

But more importantly, I found that it didn't seem to impact performance. So apparently, the number of objects or polygons is more important. Then again, if the game needs to stretch them to render them, essentially creating a new image of the target size, then it might just be doing that before loading them to memory for use, so effectively the textures would still be the same size during rendering (I'm assuming they would only be stretched and loaded once).

zankyou, what do you do to the scale when you're importing these? I'm wondering if there are larger versions of these textures, because next I'd like to try doubling them to 512 x 512 instead. Also, if we shrunk the stage to 50% size, we'd have the same object and polygon counts, but the textures would be covering less area, so maybe the game (if it is indeed just stretching them prior to loading) would think the textures wouldn't need to be stretched anymore, and we'd see the "true" impact of smaller textures.

Edit: attached the file with the reduced texture sizes.
I import all the settings over from the pac file. So the scale is the same. Seeing as how ICs are more intensive to render than Zelda or Marth (to my knowledge) Id say poly count is the limiting factor. Also you cant really test these in dolphin because melee isnt a gpu intensive game and your gpu wouldnt struggle with it.
The biggest change that improved performance was most of the rock stuff under the stage. I figured you barely see it while fighting and it saved me 20000 triangles. I also got rid of the rocks around the circle which were like 9000 for barely noticable along with the rocks along the perimeter which was also around 15000. I basically picked the highest poly objects that could be sacrificed without leaving holes in the stage.

Last edited:

mattergamer47

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1300-9761
These are truly amazing. There are so many threads with so many awesome custom stages scattered amongst them.

zankyou

Smash Lord
zankyou, do you know why develop mode does not recognize walls/floors correctly? This is the case on a lot of your imports.

View attachment 81246
My best guess would be that its because the links arent ordered by ground flag. At first I did order them but it broke the area tables because it changed the index of the links. But now with the way Im doing the area table it really shouldnt matter/

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
I need help with something,

every time i try to add the stages, i do all the steps correctly but when i load the iso it says that its an invalid GCM/ISO
can someone help?

zankyou

Smash Lord
I need help with something,

every time i try to add the stages, i do all the steps correctly but when i load the iso it says that its an invalid GCM/ISO
can someone help?
Did you check do not use toc or something similar to that. The only issue ive encountered is the final size being too large and I had to delete a movie to get it to work. But my iso has a ton of 3MB files.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Did you check do not use toc or something similar to that. The only issue ive encountered is the final size being too large and I had to delete a movie to get it to work. But my iso has a ton of 3MB files.
I did check do not use TOC, but i might try again

Agent7300

Smash Cadet
i think i found my new favorite thread. all of this is literally fantastic stuff.

CFMV

"The Marf"
BATTLE FIELD

FINAL DESTINATION

DREAMLAND

YOSHI STORY

POKEMON STADIUM

http://i.pomf.pl/qpntav.zip
You have to rebuild your ISO and choose ignore TOC for these stages to work.

These are by no means done. Im just sharing the WIPs. I plan on rebuilding the file adding more things and fixing issues so I wouldnt really suggest heavily making changes to these. That being said battlefield is pretty close to being done. Image pointers and pallet struct (not the pallet) pointers are root nodes.

Now to go find all the sources I imported these from.
I imported all these into my 20xx ISO and they all look great on my Wii... but only with 1 player. When I try to load any of these stages with 2 players my Wii immediately freezes. Does anybody know what causes this? It works fine on Dolphin.

Nvm figured it out, it was because I had neutral spawn turned on.

Last edited:

Agent7300

Smash Cadet
quick question, i assume this would work but i wanna clarify:
lets say i download one of the custom battlefields, could i change the file name to a different stage instead of battlefields file name? therfore it would be somewhere else on SSS, like if i clicked icicle mountain but have it take me to warioware. i hope what im saying makes sense

zankyou

Smash Lord
quick question, i assume this would work but i wanna clarify:
lets say i download one of the custom battlefields, could i change the file name to a different stage instead of battlefields file name? therfore it would be somewhere else on SSS, like if i clicked icicle mountain but have it take me to warioware. i hope what im saying makes sense
No. But you can change the dol to load a training stage instead of the default stage.

Top Bottom