• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Information Database and Q&A

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The appeal of Smashville is that it *almost* doesn't have any platform and doesn't have FD's previously frowned upon ledges.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
can we legalize norfair now???
I swear I thought Norfair was legal for a while back, but when I found out that it wasn't I was let down. I'm for making Norfair legal, even if Dan is joking about it. So it's got stage hazards; they're not unavoidable. It's like Brinstar's dangerous floor combined with Halberd's claw (that can cover the whole stage, speaking about the lava wall charging in from the background).

Tesh

Smash Hero
Norfair's layout is horrid for competitive play.

Circle camping layouts need to be banned in 3 stock standard play. Things like rainbow cruise and hanenbow are nearly impossible to control with the types of rules that can put a leash on smashville or frigate.

When it comes down to it, the most important thing is to educate yourself about the mechanics of each stage before you pass judgement. Alot of ignorance is passed around in the community for no good reason.

Smashville's layout is horrid for competitive play too. And I would never joke about making Norfair legal.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Smashville's such a good MK stage. IMO at least as good as Frigate against a lot of characters that matter. If people banned Frigate because of MK, they should ban SV.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And then there was this tournament I attended once, FD-only, MK banned.
It was one of the worst experiences I ever had with this game...

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Smashville's such a good MK stage. IMO at least as good as Frigate against a lot of characters that matter. If people banned Frigate because of MK, they should ban SV.
You know Nick has a big point here. I agree with Frigate being a good MK stage. I'm not an MK main but I use him at times and my favorite stage to take people to in friendlies and just for the hell of it was Frigate.That moving platform in transformation one always messed others up in their recovery if I got in a strong Dair, and with no ledge grab capability on that edge...

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Meta Knight has at least one way to abuse every stage except maybe FD (even then, he could get some neat stuff by SLing under the ledge). We should ban everything except FD if we go by that logic.

...And YI:M, MK is seriously bad on that one stage

Raven¤

Smash Cadet
Where do I can find the list, or topic where each character set, which is counter map or map disadvantage and which gives him an advantage?

Tesh

Smash Hero
There is no such thread in this sub forum to my knowledge.

IT would be a massive undertaking to create such a thing so im sure it doesnt exist.

Counterpicking isnt as simple as "this stage beats this character" its matchup dependant with tons of variables. Wario might never want to go to FD until he fights a metaknight.

If you need a guide for counterpicking to your own character's strengths then try a character board.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Over 600 matchups, for every single one of the 41 stages in the game, that's at least 25 THOUSAND combinations.

D

Deleted member

I swear I thought Norfair was legal for a while back, but when I found out that it wasn't I was let down. I'm for making Norfair legal, even if Dan is joking about it. So it's got stage hazards; they're not unavoidable. It's like Brinstar's dangerous floor combined with Halberd's claw (that can cover the whole stage, speaking about the lava wall charging in from the background).

If you jump high enough, the lava wave that covers the entire stage will miss you.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Or you could just power shield it like all of the hazards on that stage.

The hazards really only get in the way of people fighting, they do nothing to someone running away because they can't catch you off guard or limit movement.

If the stage actually was like brinstar, with unblockable lava, it might deserve legality on a broader stagelist because the hazards might actually prevent circle camping and make people consider jumping in that stupid pod.

Tesh

Smash Hero
For the lava wall that only hits once yea, but if you were running from someone and had to move through the big ones that come from the sides or bottom, you might need to shield it 5+ time before it goes away.

D

Deleted member

Or you could just power shield it like all of the hazards on that stage.

The hazards really only get in the way of people fighting, they do nothing to someone running away because they can't catch you off guard or limit movement.

If the stage actually was like brinstar, with unblockable lava, it might deserve legality on a broader stagelist because the hazards might actually prevent circle camping and make people consider jumping in that stupid pod.

I know. I was just mentioning that you can jump over it.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me, or has Frigate been banned instead of a counterpick a LOT more recently?
Also, why has Frigate been banned instead of a counterpick a lot more recently? >:[

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
It's a really strong CP for MK but at this point, most TOs don't ban MK, so they just take away all the stages that are good for him.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Which are pretty much every stage in the game except FD and YI:M (Pictochat and WW being debatable).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Smashville is probably one of the strongest MK stages around at the moment and it's always legal. Banning frigate is simply ******** because MK is not really a problem there.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Frigate really should be banned for other reasons. I'm surprised ny/nj is now banning halberd without first dropping frigate/delfino.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What exactly would be the reason to ban Frigate? One of the best stages in the game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
There is a random factor but nothing major. Of all the commonly legal stages YI is the only one that should be banned.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
There is a random factor but nothing major. Of all the commonly legal stages YI is the only one that should be banned.
Did you forget how stupid Halberd is (worst legal stage BY FAR....).

Frigate's random factor is also significant, there's 2 different stages with wildly different effects on matchups, and one randomly gets like 70% of the play time.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Halberd has an issue of sharking but that is only an issue if a certain character is for some reason allowed.
If you ever decide to pick Frigate, you should be aware that there are 2 parts that appear for different amounts of time. That's not luck, it's a ******** decision to pick a stage that has a 30% chance to be in your favor.
And seriously YI is pretty much worse than Pictochat.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hey guys, thought some people here might be interested in a little "experiment" we're trying here. We were trying to discuss what "acceptable hazards" might be and decided to try and apply it to making a stagelist for Brawl, would love some more people to get in on it!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's no use. People are dumb. They will play BF/SV/FD because apparently that is fun and not a moving stage. Just give up now, it's a waste of time. We all tried.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Well... There's a positive attitude...

Seriously, the idea was just kinda thought provoking and we did this for fun. Furthermore, there's still places with way more then that legal plus stages that no one thought would be legal. It doesn't hurt to discuss things.

It's a Smash 4 thread, not a Brawl thread. There's no hope for change in Brawl, but Smash 4's future is not so clear.

I posted already, you guys should too.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't know if I can bring that kind of stress back into my life right now.

Maybe when the game's actually out, but I can't really engage in serious "Stage Rage" discussions when nobody who's talking about it right now really matters all that much.

If you want to make a difference BEFORE it comes out, start with your local TO and try to get him on board with a wide-reaching initial stagelist, and prune as it becomes necessary, rather than simply starting out small.

WMSC_Dot

Smash Rookie
I enjoy Brinstar due to the lava resetting the situation, meanwhile Norfair has many hazards and such - which you can use for strategy. MLG allowed it for a reason I believe, and I think it's because they don't wanna see smashville over and over since nobody picks FD (I'm not talking to you Inuit Mains).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If I wouldn't want to see Smashville everytime, I'd simply ban it or make rules like "no stage can be selected more than one time per set".

Just sayin'

Top Bottom