• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Information Database and Q&A

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So the ending to that Halberd game in Apex GFs.

Can we agree that stage is stupid yet.
I used to be okay with it and am generally quite open with stages, but I admit the randomly targeting hazards there can really ruin a match. You could tell the commentators were even trying to move on from it to try and keep hype, their voices sounded really uneasy.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Who gives a **** if a hazard randomly targets a player if they take forever to come out and generally don't do anything if you have a brain. The issue with the stage is the sharking and even that is actually an issue with MK.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Who gives a **** if a hazard randomly targets a player if they take forever to come out and generally don't do anything if you have a brain. The issue with the stage is the sharking and even that is actually an issue with MK.
>opponent has momentum
>claw begins to move
>pressure opponent when the claw strikes to frame trap them

You're pretending that the other player doesn't exist, just like with Pictochat.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Err so how is playing smart and using the stage to your advantage to force and advantageous situation a bad thing? In most stages these things are permanent, like the lack of platforms in FD for Wario, but I guess those are ok. How is 1 second of a hazard 3 times a match not that good? And how does it make the worse player win? The reason people get hit by these hazards is because they are dumb and/or they got outplayed into them.
Pictochat is another case because the hazards cannot be reliably reacted to and are random. In Halberd there are 3 simple hazards with like 7 whole seconds to react to and they are hard to miss.

Ya'll are looking at Halberd like if adapting to your surroundings in a Smash game is a sin.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Is there a link to this? I didn't even watch Brawl top 8, was too busy playing Mafia IRL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpN-LKtEqSk#t=16m25s

Err so how is playing smart and using the stage to your advantage to force and advantageous situation a bad thing? In most stages these things are permanent, like the lack of platforms in FD for Wario, but I guess those are ok. How is 1 second of a hazard 3 times a match not that good? And how does it make the worse player win? The reason people get hit by these hazards is because they are dumb and/or they got outplayed into them.
Zero's dumb and Nairo planned to win the game off the random claw?
lol stop kidding yourself.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That's both hilarious and unfortunate that it happened, but I'd probably have more sympathy for them if they looked for even a second like they weren't totally ignoring it.

They made super aggressive plays despite the claw being like "Hey.... hey..... hey you guys.... I'm swinging around..... pay attention to me.... GOTCHA!"

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
This is why people don't take you seriously, Grim.

Yes, "Whoever counterpicks it knows the risk" applies equally to both stages.

Then, however, you jump directly to the conclusion of legalizing both, totally ignoring all other relevant factors, namely: Impact of interference, warning time, actual randomness, etc.

The claw interfering once every minute to two minutes (with like 10 seconds warning) to deal 10% is significantly LESS impactful than a mini-game every 30 seconds that might reward one player a star and the other a mushroom.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Then, however, you jump directly to the conclusion of legalizing both, totally ignoring all other relevant factors, namely: Impact of interference, warning time, actual randomness, etc.

The claw interfering once every minute to two minutes (with like 10 seconds warning) to deal 10% is significantly LESS impactful than a mini-game every 30 seconds that might reward one player a star and the other a mushroom.
But what about the problems of it randomly giving a player an advantage, isn't that why we banned items?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

All I was getting at is that randomness shouldn't be excused just because the stage in question is a counterpick.

When the claw strikes you won't really be able to punish an opponent for blocking it.
Disagree.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's actually all Shaya's fault
That is just mean Ghost.

The player isn't necessarily out-played
He's only out-played if his opponent gets lucky, you don't know who the claw will hit until you've committed to the frame trap

that's the problem here
I believe there is a way to determine whom the claw will hit.
I...cannot remember though

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm pretty sure that, if the Claw moves for 10 seconds before hitting, at least during the last 3 it swings closer to the target.
It's obviously more notable when both players are away from each other, and harder to tell if they're close all the time.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Unless you are right next to each other you have more than enough time to see the claw is heading towards your face. If you are close to your opponent and not sure which one it will hit you should both try to dodge it. There is no excuse for getting hit by it unless you got thrown or combo'd into it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If I'm worse than my opponent, I shouldn't try and dodge it, I should try and frame trap my opponent into it

and it'll only work 50% of the time, which is silly
Except you can actually tell what's gonna happen.
I literally said how it can be done.

ugh, why do I keep doing this at this point?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I still always wonder if we don't let items be on because they can randomly give someone an advantage, why can Halberd do that and it be okay?

Top Bottom