• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We'll just have to see what happens then...

BTW, I said that I guessed that if there was another Zelda stage, it would be from WW. It's a guess, not a prediction. (There's a difference, y'know) So why are we fighting?
Didn't catch the "if" part. It looked like you were saying you didn't think another Pokemon stage was as likely as another Zelda stage.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, the Toon games are well-covered. I'd like to see another stage from something like ALttP. It's surprisingly barren stage-wise. Music, sure, but that's about it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Eh, the Toon games are well-covered. I'd like to see another stage from something like ALttP. It's surprisingly barren stage-wise. Music, sure, but that's about it.
I really, REALLY want the Lost Woods... we could use a forest Zelda level. Its like one of the biggest areas Link visits in the games, very often one of the first ones, and all the 3D Zelda's started off with a forest. The Zelda franchise actually has a wide variety of locales and isn't stuck to one theme, so why hasn't the forest been visited in Smash yet?

Yeah, I can be pretty confusing sometimes..... but I still think Pokemon's chances of getting another stage are not as likely as other series...
Based on the layout we know of, I agree. Mario, DK, and a new franchise are honestly the only franchises that can fit a new stage at this point without totally messing up the layout. I do think at least one of the known "slots" will be for Miiverse (since it was intended to be ready by release), and that'd most likely be at the bottom.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really, REALLY want the Lost Woods... we could use a forest Zelda level. Its like one of the biggest areas Link visits in the games. The Zelda franchise actually has a wide variety of locales and isn't stuck to one theme, so why hasn't the forest been visited in Smash yet?
Why did it take up to the Paper Mario stage to explore Bowser's Castle(and do it so awfully)?

Same reason why all of the Metroid stages are related to indoor lava/acid areas to a degree. Background or a stage hazard. Ugh. Sakurai doesn't seem to try to branch out for some series. :urg:

And I do think Pokemon is highly likely to get another stage myself. Never bought the "select screen order". Even if it's DLC, I expect more. Might be a past stage on another screen, though. I can easily see a third page. Brawl did it, after all.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Based on the layout we know of, I agree. Mario, DK, and a new franchise are honestly the only franchises that can fit a new stage at this point without totally messing up the layout. I do think at least one of the known "slots" will be for Miiverse (since it was intended to be ready by release), and that'd most likely be at the bottom.
Zelda's got a (small) chance too, from what I see

I hope it's one of those stages:
- Bowser's Castle (any of his castles, as long as we get one!)
- Bowser's Tower from 3D World
- Kongo Jungle Melee
- A DKC: Tropical Freeze stage
- Any stage based on Wind Waker

Why did it take up to the Paper Mario stage to explore Bowser's Castle(and do it so awfully)?

Same reason why all of the Metroid stages are related to indoor lava/acid areas to a degree. Background or a stage hazard. Ugh. Sakurai doesn't seem to try to branch out for some series. :urg:

And I do think Pokemon is highly likely to get another stage myself. Never bought the "select screen order". Even if it's DLC, I expect more. Might be a past stage on another screen, though. I can easily see a third page. Brawl did it, after all.
I think that third page will be DLC stages, just like how people found and arrow icon on the 3DS SSS for another page of stages

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Imagine if sakurai adds the G&W zelda game as a stage. Pretty much unlikely but a hilarious thought

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

There's only one screen on Wii U right now. But I definitely think DLC stages is very likely. In the game by default, though? All past Smash games have always had related stages right next to each other and organized properly, and so does Smash 3DS. Stage order does matter, a franchise isn't going to get split across multiple rows unless it actually has that many stages.

Lack of an extra Pokemon stage IS weird, but adding two stages towards the top of the list will split the Fire Emblem stages across multiple lines.

Zelda's got a (small) chance too, from what I see

I hope it's one of those stages:
- Bowser's Castle (any of his castles, as long as we get one!)
- Bowser's Tower from 3D World
- Kongo Jungle Melee
- A DKC: Tropical Freeze stage
- Any stage based on Wind Waker

I think that third page will be DLC stages, just like how people found and arrow icon on the 3DS SSS for another page of stages
A classic DKC stage is also a possibility, I think. Granted, its rather unlikely. I like the idea of getting a new DK stage, though, because its the only franchise in Nintendo's big 5 (the Wii series was successful, but its not a hugely recurring core franchise of Nintendo's) that doesn't have a second new stage (taking into account both versions). At the same time, it does have the most returning stages of all franchises.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
There's no way Pirate Ship CAN'T come back, or a Wind Waker HD stage. WWHD came out a year ago.

Still upset about the no Link to the Past representation ever. I still think it's a safe bet for DLC stages next year, but Zelda needs to be in it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's only one screen on Wii U right now. But I definitely think DLC stages is very likely. In the game by default, though? All past Smash games have always had related stages right next to each other and organized properly, and so does Smash 3DS. Stage order does matter, a franchise isn't going to get split across multiple rows unless it actually has that many stages.
Which would still be the case here. Besides that, there is a second page; Custom Stages. And I presume you mean DLC ones besides Miiverse, since it makes more sense to make a page for it and other stages that you can download.

Lack of an extra Pokemon stage IS weird, but adding two stages towards the top of the list will split the Fire Emblem stages across multiple lines.[/quote]
Which isn't a big deal either way. As long as they go from Left to Right. They effectively split up the Mario/Fire Emblem/Kid Icarus characters regardless of that. Even the final Wii U version didn't bother to move the clones among their series. Doesn't matter if they're clones, it's still a split.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
At the same time, [the Donkey Kong series] does have the most returning stages of all franchises.
Mario has more.... but the DK series always had three stages except in SSB64 and 3DS:
- Kongo Jungle 64, Kongo Jungle and Jungle Japes in Melee
- Jungle Japes, Rumble Falls and 75 m in Brawl
- 75 m, Kongo Jungle 64 and Jungle Hij..... Dammit, we got 3 of them in there too.....

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Which would still be the case here. Besides that, there is a second page; Custom Stages. And I presume you mean DLC ones besides Miiverse, since it makes more sense to make a page for it and other stages that you can download.

Lack of an extra Pokemon stage IS weird, but adding two stages towards the top of the list will split the Fire Emblem stages across multiple lines.
Which isn't a big deal either way. As long as they go from Left to Right. They effectively split up the Mario/Fire Emblem/Kid Icarus characters regardless of that. Even the final Wii U version didn't bother to move the clones among their series. Doesn't matter if they're clones, it's still a split.[/quote]
Its a totally different circumstance, though. It does matter for the stages. Yes, Mario is split up, because it literally has too many stages to fit on one line. And even then, the first line has the normal Mario platformer stages, the second has spinoffs like Mario Kart and Luigi's Mansion.

The three clones are a completely different scenario. They're late added clones who were mixed into their own little section of the character select screen. The stage select screen doesn't have anything like that.

Mario has more.... but the DK series always had three stages except in SSB64 and 3DS:
- Kongo Jungle 64, Kongo Jungle and Jungle Japes in Melee
- Jungle Japes, Rumble Falls and 75 m in Brawl
- 75 m, Kongo Jungle 64 and Jungle Hij..... Dammit, we got 3 of them in there too.....
Ah, I miscounted the Mario stages. Mario has four returning stages, DK has three (again, between both versions).

You miss the point, though, I meant new stages. DK has one new stage. Kirby has two (Dream Land GBA and Great Cave Offensive). Zelda and Pokemon have 3. Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus even have 2.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Sadly, a Bowser's Castle stage is wholly unlikely. Luigi's Mansion has a Fortress Battle theme theme to it and an Airship theme, Mushroom Kingdom U has a boss battle music for fortresses, Galaxy has the final battle theme from Bowser's Inside Story, etc. Music you'd expect to appear on a Bowser's Castle stage is elsewhere.

For the record, I considered;

Bridge of Eldin - Link
Skyloft - Zelda
Gerudo Valley - Ganondorf
Spirit Tracks - Toon Link

Temple sort of just goes to Shiek at that point since they're both Melee relics Smash-wise.

Pokemon did actually get shafted in terms of per-rep stage representation. It only has four, but there's no way for any further Pokemon stages to fit unless the row numbers get weird and do something like 6-7-6-7-6-7-6-7 or something along those lines (which we have no evidence of)

Techno Hunter

Smash Cadet
Since we're talking Zelda stages. I will give an Idea: Dungeon from Zelda 1
It may sound odd, but not only could it get a modern design, it would match perfectly with the Zelda 2 Temple, both are stages representing the NES games, but also represention staples of the series ( dungeons and temples).sounds pretty good, I think.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I have been waiting for Pokemon Stadium 3 to be announced just do this picture from the E3 2013 trailer, it's one of Pikachu's taunts and an in-game Pokeball, so unless they just stripped both of those and put it in the trailer (Something they didn't do for any other part of the trailer), it's got to be part of the full game.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I have been waiting for Pokemon Stadium 3 to be announced just do this picture from the E3 2013 trailer, it's one of Pikachu's taunts and an in-game Pokeball, so unless they just stripped both of those and put it in the trailer (Something they didn't do for any other part of the trailer), it's got to be part of the full game.

That's completely animated and not ingame. Also it could've been taken on PS2 if it was in game, which it's not.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

It looks like PS2, but during daytime

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I think it's just a set piece for the CG. You have a lot of areas shown in the video that don't exist in the game, including the view of the Hyrule Castle.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Speaking of Stages, Andre knows all stages but, naturally, can't say anything in game. However, he did say "don't expect to much." So if there are more stages we don't know about, I'd bet the rest are returning stages, nothing more. Which is basically what I already expected anyway.

König Nickerchen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoenigNickerchen
Speaking of Stages, Andre knows all stages but, naturally, can't say anything in game. However, he did say "don't expect to much." So if there are more stages we don't know about, I'd bet the rest are returning stages, nothing more. Which is basically what I already expected anyway.
If he said this then I think we only get 2 more stages sadly but maybe among them is Fountain of Dreams or Pirate Ship.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If he said this then I think we only get 2 more stages sadly but maybe among them is Fountain of Dreams or Pirate Ship.
I still don't think Pirate Ship is possible based on the layout. The final layout should look uniform, and only Mario will cross over multiple lines (but with it split into main games and spinoff games). Fountain of Dreams would also be a great pick, the problem, again, is the layout. Kirby getting another stage, with one stage within the first two rows, would split Fire Emblem to multiple lines.

Here's the problem:

If there's no new stage in the first two rows, Skyloft appears next to Kongo Jungle 64 and looks very off.

If there's a second stage above the second-to-last row, Smashville gets shoved to the next line and looks very off. (I made a mistake prior; its actually Animal Crossing that gets split up.)

So, yeah. Either the stage selection screen will look very off when its finalized, or there is no new stage for any franchises in the third to sixth rows. Which includes Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon, the most commonly brought up ones.

It would also look off for a standalone stage to be in the first two rows because all "single stage" franchises are at the bottom.

Either the stage roster is going to have a blank in the first two rows, or we get another DK/Mario stage. I don't see any other options.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How is Fountain of Dreams a bad thing? It has a basic layout, yet it is quite dynamic because of the platforms. The music is probably one of Melee's best (if not the best) and it looks so gorgeous, it's still one of the prettiest stages I ever saw in a Smash title...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
How is Fountain of Dreams a bad thing? It has a basic layout, yet it is quite dynamic because of the platforms. The music is probably one of Melee's best (if not the best) and it looks so gorgeous, it's still one of the prettiest stages I ever saw in a Smash title...
He's not complaining about Fountain of Dreams.

What he's saying is, we (sadly) probably only have 2 more stages... but maybe we have Fountain of Dreams or Pirate Ship.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
He's sayng that its sad that we might only get 2 more stages, but hopefully we get Fountain of Dreams.

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
I'd rather have more new stages or N64 stages then returning Brawl/Melee stages.
They already blew that with Norfair, Flat Zone 2, Onett, Smashville etc...

Just thankfully they gave me Delfino Plaza back.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
but dat pixelated reflection...

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Well, ever though there's no Flat Zone 3, at least this is better then just Flat Zone 2 returning.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's interesting. If that's the case, it messes up with the roster:

So, either the roster WON'T be clean at the end, or there's several more stages we don't know about and the list will expand to 7 columns.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Oh god, yes! I loved Flatzone 1 back in melee!
No annoying stage-shifting, the hazards in faltzone 1 are bearable and the whole design was just nice in my opinion.

So, now that we get 2 G&W stages, how will the stage-select screen be organized? does the new G&W stage open up new possibilities without screwing up stage orders/line-ups?

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
That's flatzone 1
Or maybe the stage is actually called Flat Zone 3, and it's a combination of both Flat Zone and Flat Zone 2. We never actually saw the name of the stage, did we? If you look carefully, you can see the blue border from Flat Zone 2.

Top Bottom