• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
I think Rainbow Road would be a great idea. It would probably be a better battlefield than a track lol.

Chico113

Smash Apprentice
im surprised at some of the comments, i thought most people would stick the final destination or any other variants to a pancake stage.

i would like water themes stages to be in, i also hope temple doesn't come back

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
im surprised at some of the comments, i thought most people would stick the final destination or any other variants to a pancake stage.

i would like water themes stages to be in, i also hope temple doesn't come back
I'm hoping temple does come back just BIGGER and revived. Perhaps even make it skyloft?

Anywho am i the only one who remembers MAKA WUHU!!!

Other then being the best mario kart 7 stage by far, its also got really cool possibilities like maybe replacing rainbow ride? Or at least being a fast paced scrolling level with little platforms and alot of chances to fall to your doom?

:phone:

Earthworm Jim

Smash Rookie
They need a Metroid stage that sums up Planet Zebes well, so I came up with one.

~~~~~~~~
Planet Zebes
~~~~~~~~

There are 5 sections to the stage. Crateria, Tourian, Brinstar, Maridia, and Ridley. The players will spawn in one of these areas when the match starts. In the middle of each battlefield, there is an elevator just like the ones from the games. When arrows begin to point towards the elevator, the players must board it, or they will be left behind (like what would happen if you didn't board the platform on Halberd). The elevator will move up or down, and stop at another section of the stage. Repeat. Despite there being an elevator on the floor, players can still be KO'd from the bottom of the screen.

-Crateria-

Not much happens on the surface of Zebes. Players can jump on top of Samus' ship which is simply floating there. The rain creates a nice atmosphere.

-Tourian-

The main base of the Space Pirates, and the resting area of Mother Brain. Mother, in her stationary brain form, will sit in her famous glass container in the background as she watches the match. Occasionally, acid will rise up and force players to retreat to higher ground. Other hazards involve the laser rings and Metroids.

-Brinstar-

A familiar location, and a famous one. Like Crateria, nothing game-changing occurs here. Players can be attacked by wandering Zoomers and even Skrees. Rippers will fly by, allowing players to use them as small platforms.

If you're are lucky, you might even get visited by Kraid.

-Maridia-

This area works a little differently, as it is completely submerged underwater. In Maridia, the players are more floaty, and a little slower (think a weaker timer item). There is a quicksand pit that will KO any one who stands in it for too long.

-Ridley-

Ridley is a deadly place. Scorching lava will do large amounts of damage here, and Space Pirates will also attack. If that's not bad enough, the Torizo Samus fought here will also enter the fight.

If Ridley is not a playable character in Smash 4, then he will be sitting on a platform watching and occasionally attacking.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd love to see a spoiler-free stage from Mother 3 make an appearance. My favorite idea is Tazmilly village. It could be very Onett-like in layout, with a battle on the rooftops of the buildings in the center of the village. It should also be aesthetically based on how the village looked at the beginning of the game(to avoid spoilers, naturally).

Here's what the center of the village looks like:
[COLLAPSE="Image"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
I meant to put this stage here a while ago. I know it's a pretty obscure Mario stage, but I like it.

[COLLAPSE="An interesting stage from Super Mario Galaxy 2"]

Here's an idea that's been in the back of my head for months. Sorry if the coloring job is so bad... I have no excuse! I was so eager to display this! I know this stage is pretty obscure for a Mario Galaxy stage for Smash Bros, but it is just a dream idea after all.

Well lets get on with this, shall we? This is the second tangent galaxy in World 1 of Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's also one of my favorites, that's why I chose it.

Gimmicks:

1. The stage has the gravity manipulation walls. The red area turns you upside down, and blue turns you rightside up.

2. Giant Chomps roll out of the black cannon on the mid-right side of the battlefield.

3. The Black Hole will suck in nearby victims, and spits them out dealing 15% of damage with mid-high launch power.

Music:

1. SMG2: Rightside Down Galaxy (Arranged)(It will play the upside down version when the majority of fighters are upside down.)
[link]

2. SMG2: Yoshi Star Galaxy (Original)
[link]

3. Super Mario Sunshine: Secrets (Original)
[link]

4. Mario Party: Rainbow Castle (Arranged)
[link]

This is the last Mario level I have, DK's are next.
[/COLLAPSE]

Yeah... I know the music choices are kinda lame ^^', but I really wanted to share this.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYsp_U8zs9s&feature=related

After listening to Bowser's effing EPIC music from Mario Galaxy, I have an idea:

Y'all know how we usually have a Mario series castle level, right? And that the Mushroomy Kingdom has an above ground and below ground level chosen at "random" right?! Well, what if they had a Peach's Castle/Bowser's Castle level in one "slot"?! Peach's Castle could have the familiar setting on Mario's planet, while Bowser's could be set in space. It would work wonders!

Also, I'd have a stage based off of the 2nd section of DKCR: The Beach (call it Kongo Beach or something). I've noticed that there have never been any beach stages in Smash. Great Bay and Delfino Plaza come close, but they're really not beaches. I'd have a stage with the usually sunny atmosphere of most of that section's levels and elements from DKCR. Expect some cannons to rain explosives on you.

I'd also have a feature in which the level would be in the middle of a storm throughout the whole match; this would be 2 stages in one slot with that giant octopus harassing you every now and then. This part would be based off of DKCR's Stormy Shore and Tidal Terror, and the music for this section can feature the eerie side of the DK series' music. Also, the waves affect and move the smaller platforms a bit by tilting some, raising, lowering and pushing/pulling them left or right.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I meant to put this stage here a while ago. I know it's a pretty obscure Mario stage, but I like it.

[COLLAPSE="An interesting stage from Super Mario Galaxy 2"]

Here's an idea that's been in the back of my head for months. Sorry if the coloring job is so bad... I have no excuse! I was so eager to display this! I know this stage is pretty obscure for a Mario Galaxy stage for Smash Bros, but it is just a dream idea after all.

Well lets get on with this, shall we? This is the second tangent galaxy in World 1 of Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's also one of my favorites, that's why I chose it.

Gimmicks:

1. The stage has the gravity manipulation walls. The red area turns you upside down, and blue turns you rightside up.

2. Giant Chomps roll out of the black cannon on the mid-right side of the battlefield.

3. The Black Hole will suck in nearby victims, and spits them out dealing 15% of damage with mid-high launch power.

Music:

1. SMG2: Rightside Down Galaxy (Arranged)(It will play the upside down version when the majority of fighters are upside down.)
[link]

2. SMG2: Yoshi Star Galaxy (Original)
[link]

3. Super Mario Sunshine: Secrets (Original)
[link]

4. Mario Party: Rainbow Castle (Arranged)
[link]

This is the last Mario level I have, DK's are next.
[/COLLAPSE]

Yeah... I know the music choices are kinda lame ^^', but I really wanted to share this.
When I think of having a Mario Galaxy level this isnt the first thing that comes to mind BUT you know what I really like this idea. The blackhole could be an interesting twist to the level along with of course the flip mechanics. Seems like it would be a tricky stage to design though...

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
From star fox somewhere on sauria would be a great map where sharpclaws would occasionaly attack and general scales is watching on his ship in the back. also maybe on certain stages there should be kind of like killstreaks where if you kill 3 without dying you call in sharpclaws or space pirated or whatever.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So who else is up for some underwater stages?
Let them hold their breath for about a minute before having to rush to the surface for air.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Let them hold their breath for about a minute before having to rush to the surface for air.
The only question in my opinion is how would they swim? Like in super mario? bros(tap jump button go up) or perhaps like in yoshi story?(point in direction to swim)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only question in my opinion is how would they swim? Like in super mario? bros(tap jump button go up) or perhaps like in yoshi story?(point in direction to swim)

I can only think... poor, poor Charizard (even though he could swim fine in Brawl, even with his tail underwater)...

put some scuba helmets on the characters' head (and in Charizard's tail LOL), it would be funny to have an underwater stage, with decreased falling speed.

*Puts the SMB Underwater music playing...*

I'm hoping temple does come back just BIGGER and revived. Perhaps even make it skyloft?

Anywho am i the only one who remembers MAKA WUHU!!!

Other then being the best mario kart 7 stage by far, its also got really cool possibilities like maybe replacing rainbow ride? Or at least being a fast paced scrolling level with little platforms and alot of chances to fall to your doom?

I can see Wuhu Island (which Wuhu Mountain is part of) as a stage in SSB4. could have a day / night cycle like Brawl's Battlefield and have a platform to transport the characters to various points of the island as in Brawl's Delfino Plaza. Miis could be seen spectating the match and playing the various sports from Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. As a reference to the islands appearence in Mario Kart 7, why not putting some karts (with Miis, Shy Guys, Koopas...) racing around the island, serving as obstacles in certain points? or make some references to the Pilotwings series (not just Resort) as well?

I do believe that this island has a massive potential for a dynamic stage in SSB4, there's much that can be done with this.

yani

Smash Lord
Y'all know how we usually have a Mario series castle level, right? And that the Mushroomy Kingdom has an above ground and below ground level chosen at "random" right?! Well, what if they had a Peach's Castle/Bowser's Castle level in one "slot"?! Peach's Castle could have the familiar setting on Mario's planet, while Bowser's could be set in space. It would work wonders!
Shut up and take my money!

This stage, Waver's NSMB stage, and a Rainbow Road stage. BAM!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
For an Underwater stage I had the same worries about Charizard. But since when has logic ever reared it's head in smash bros?
I was just thinking make it so that their movement speed is halved and jump height is based on how long ya hold the jump button.
Maybe even enable infinite jump seeing as how they is under water and all.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
For an Underwater stage I had the same worries about Charizard. But since when has logic ever reared it's head in smash bros?
I was just thinking make it so that their movement speed is halved and jump height is based on how long ya hold the jump button.
Maybe even enable infinite jump seeing as how they is under water and all.
WARNING: trying to apply logic to games like Smash Bros. may cause collateral brain damage.

that infinite jump thing could make it a distinctive feature for the stage... then we could have the Water Temple from Ocarina of Time as a playable stage... oh... sweet, sweet memories... :troll:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Hahaha XD
Man then you could have the iron boots as an item specifically for that stage.
Not sure if they would cause more knockouts due to loss of oxygen though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hahaha XD
and play the drowning music from the Sonic games... and boom, all players are KO'd by the stage.

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
When I think of having a Mario Galaxy level this isnt the first thing that comes to mind BUT you know what I really like this idea. The blackhole could be an interesting twist to the level along with of course the flip mechanics. Seems like it would be a tricky stage to design though...
Thanks.^^ The flip mechanism would be tricky to program.*nods*

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
That would be really interesting. You can also take advantage of someone swimming up for air. (Meteor attack)*trollface*

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Hmm you know now that i think about it?
If theres a sea floor thats on screen?(not outside the blast line)

Then where does the player go? I doubt he'd just slowly fall to the floor drowning?
I mean that might look kinda creepy, and it would be inconsistent with smash?

So my big question is what happens if you drown but theres a floor?

Oh wait i got! You simply dont get KO'd you just frantically swim up for air..... and thus are set back.

Say is there a thread for this?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Actually having a mario galaxy stage where gravity flips the characters upside down wouldn't be a problem at all. I mean that stage design obviously has 2 floors. One above and one below.

As for programming it. Its 2 simple things. Rotate character 180 degrees. Then set the gravity to -270 degrees (270 is Down so -270 is up, wait that might be wrong set it to whatever degree is up) whenever they have a collision with one of those gravity flippy arrows. I just don't think anyone would like having to play upside down as the controls would be mirrored. Not that it'd be a problem to mirror the mirrored upside down controls.

The point is, all they gotta do is make the characters do the opposite movements when they are in reverse gravity zones.

Gothrax make an underwater stages thread!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hahaha XD
Given that we already have some stages that take place in the stratosphere (where the air is very thin) or in outer space (where there's no oxygen), I am sure underwater stages should pose no threat to the characters. It is troll science. :troll:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I always wanted to have a stage specific to stamina battles. I think Super Paper Mario's Dimension D would probably serve that purpose at the bare minimum, being a franchise-themed stage while at the same time being a completely empty, enclosed space.
(All while making people 256x more powerful!)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I had an idea for Final Destination a while ago. Someone on the P:M boards posted a (still W.I.P.)hack that merged the Brawl and Melee FD's. You can see it here. I thought it would be really cool if the next game did something similar with FD(and maybe Battlefield) and combined the elements of the stage from all 3 games.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
I'm really sure that a Mario Galaxy stage will be included, same for a Rainbow Road stage (would be similar to the F-Zero stages)

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
ok i came up with some stages for each character.

Mario- Mushroomy Kingdom (remake this stage, needs to be made better)
Luigi- Luigi's Mansion (Old or the one coming up in Luigi's Mansion 2)
Peach- Delfino Plaza (Brawl Version)
Bowser- Bowser's Castle (From Super Mario Bros.)

Donkey Kong- 75m or a new Donkey Kong stage from the game.
Diddy Kong- Bramble Blast Stage (From DCK2)

Link- Skyloft
Zelda/Sheik- Hyrule Castle (Smash 64 remake)
Ganondorf- Twilight Realm (Twilight Princess)
Toon Link- Pirate Ship

Samus/ZSZ- Brinstar (Smash 64 remake)

Yoshi- Yoshi's Island (Brawl Version)

Kirby- Dream Land (Smash 64 Version)
Meta Knight- Halberd
King Dedede- Mount Dedede

Fox- Lylat Cruise or make Lylat Cruise 2
Falco- Great Fox (Smash 64 version)
Wolf- Sargasso Space Zone (Star Fox Assault)

Pikachu- Saffron City (Smash 64 Remake)
Jigglypuff- Poke Floats (Remake this stage or update it.)
Mewtwo- Cerulean Cave (Red and Blue Version)
Pokemon Trainer- Pokemon Stadium (1, 2 or make a new one which would be 3)
Lucario- Distortion World or Spear Pillar (in this case update Spear Pillar)

Captain Falcon- Aero Port (Brawl Version, update it)

Ness- Fourside (Melee remake)
Lucas- New Pork City (Reduce the stage size.)

Marth- Some Fire Emblem Stage (can't think of one right now.)
Ike- Castle Siege

Pit- Skyworld or a new stage based from KIU.

Wario- Some new warioware stage.

Olimar- Distant Planet or a new Distant Planet stage from Pikmin 3.

Mr. GaW- new Flat Zone Stage.

Ice Climbers- The Summit (Update it, add ledges to grab on.)

R.O.B.- A Gyromite stage or Pictochat stage.

Snake- Shadow Moses Island (Update it)

Sonic- Green Hill Zone (Update it) or new stage like Metal Harbor and such.

Thats all i can think of. i think every character should have their own stage.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Not every character needs their own stage-it would be cool, but I think it might take too much work. I think it would be more pragmatic for every franchise to have at least one stage, and each character had a stage that fit them but was not their exclusive stage.

Also, I'd rather not see another New Pork City stage. I'd rather we get a Mother 3 stage that wasn't terrible/spoilery. Maybe Tazmily Village as sort of a successor to Onett?

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if someone divulged on stage features/modes, but here's something new I thought they could add to stages in Smash 4:
new feature would be a 3D Mode which would turn regular 2D "back & forth" stages 3 dimesional, since Namco Bandai is developing the game I’d thought this would be a great new feature they could bring into the game since they have such a history with fighting games like Tekken & Soul Calibur who has those 3D stages. Of course it is only a mode so there won’t be 3D only stages or 2D only stages just 2D stages that are flipped into 3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40mVOVpZp44

this but w/o the whole character v. character lock on, so you can manuver better in & out of stages

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Not every character needs their own stage-it would be cool, but I think it might take too much work. I think it would be more pragmatic for every franchise to have at least one stage, and each character had a stage that fit them but was not their exclusive stage.

Also, I'd rather not see another New Pork City stage. I'd rather we get a Mother 3 stage that wasn't terrible/spoilery. Maybe Tazmily Village as sort of a successor to Onett?
Saturn village is often considered a gateway between Earthbound and Mother 3. Considering they have Ness and Lucas, it would really kinda be the perfect stage. :)

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
So I had always had this idea for a stage design that I think would be cool regardless if the character was in the game or not. It's a Paper Mario stage.

What I was thinking was something along the lines of a storybook looking stage since the game is literally of Paper and the stage could be a pop-up book type stage with the different main towns of the games.

The thing I wanted to show is that the Town "Squares" would be cool battle maps like so:

Toad Town:

Rogueport:

Alt place, The Thousand Year Door:

Flipside:

The Heart Pedastal place would be a cool like Final Destination type deal. I could also see the final boss-fight stage of the game being a map alternative but I can't find a good pic of it.

Anyways with these stages there could be stage changes by the book stage "turning the page" to another background/backdrop of one of the other games. I mean there could be mulitple stages then just three to highlight the three games and could have like other stages from the games themselves but I am just talking for basics it would be cool to see that. The stages in themselves could range from basic to some really quirky fun stuff as well.

The music could range from a revamp of the Paper Mario Battle Music. The Town's songs in an orchestrated format would be cool to see or maybe just electronically revamped or polished from the old games. There could be other game music in this stage from other mario games that could probably fit but there are a lot of songs from all the three soundtracks of the games.

However another reason why I think this type of stage would be a cool addition to the stage roster would also be with the new Paper Mario 3DS coming out would be cool to see. There could even be a portion for that game within this stage but at the same time it would still be cool to have the original three be a stage in this newest installment of SSB. The fact that Paper Mario 3DS is also coming out also makes it another reason why a Paper Mario stage would be cool to see.

Anyways, that's my little idea for a stage.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It would kind of be epic if the Mother series got a revamp off of smash bros. I know that's a bit of a dream but hey, Kid Icarus did it. :p

Also, if they take out Melee's mother theme for it then they'd better replace it with this one or i'll become particularly sad:

Eight Melodies - cut from brawl

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Take to the streets of Central City with City Escape.

Overall a simple walkoff stage taking place at a 4 way intersection. Platforms are made out of construction equipment and building highrises.

The main gimake, of course, is the G.U.N. Truck that patrols the streets reaking havic on the stage itself.

As every once in a while the truck will ram itself into the stage destorying any platforms in it's path and causing major knockback to players that are runover. It comes out of the background, and either side of the stage, it can also make some amazing jumps so even the upper portion of the stage isn't safe from road rage.

The platforms do reform back to their original stage over a set amount of time, of course.

Stage Name: City Escape
Stage Icon: Sonic's Head

Stage Example:
xxx________xxxx
__/xxxxxxxxx\___
___xxxxxxxxx____

Tracks:
Sonic Adventure 2 - City Escape
Sonic Generations - City Escape ~ Classic
Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway
Sonic Adventure - Emerald Coast
Sonic Adventure - Speed Highway
Sonic Heroes - Metal Madness (Final Boss)
Sonic the Hedgehog ('06) - Crisis City
Sonic Unleashed - Rooftop Run (Daytime)
Sonic and The Black Knight - Knight of the Wind
Sonic Colors - Tropical Resort
Sonic Adventure 2 - Live & Learn (Brawl)
Sonic Adventure - Open Your Heart (Brawl)

Starting to run out of past stage concepts from the old thread to show off. lol

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah I noticed i'd seen that one before try-hi. It's not a bad stage though, so it deserves to move here. ^^

Tbh all our old stage concepts should come here. I brought my two. :p

Top Bottom