• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Just being on a building or something while corneria is under siege would make a decent change for a stage IMO, either that or the train from macbeth could work too (although it might be too close the the spirit train in that sense)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Just being on a building or something while corneria is under siege would make a decent change for a stage IMO, either that or the train from macbeth could work too (although it might be too close the the spirit train in that sense)
That would be great for my idea of clone stages. I mean, obviously each version will have AT LEAST 40ish stages. But I would be very surprised if Sakurai comes up with 80 new stages in total. So, Spirit Train on 3DS, Macbeth on WiiU. Essentially the same stage, but looking very different, and being part of two different versions.
Who knows, maybe Lumiose is Skyloft's clone?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well obviously some of these stages are going to overlap (Punch Out, Battlefield, presumably Final Destination) but all of those are technically neutral, Smash Bros. series stages.

So that said, I do think it's likely that either we'll become more aware of shared stages later and he just wants to highlight the exclusive ones, or, there will be stages that are very similar in layout but different in visual elements.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I just hope there will be plenty of Stages not related to franchises with playable characters. If there's no Duck Hunt Dog, I still want that Classic Hunting Area as a stage, with the Dog emerging and laughing every time someone gets KO'ed.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I just hope there will be plenty of Stages not related to franchises with playable characters. If there's no Duck Hunt Dog, I still want that Classic Hunting Area as a stage, with the Dog emerging and laughing every time someone gets KO'ed.
That's a really cool idea. Sure, some characters can be AT's, but some are deserving of stages too. If Isaac doesn't make the cut, I'd still love a Golden Sun stage. Or an Advance Wars stage - that'd be awesome.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Oh, I have a new idea for a Metroid Stage.

Samus' Spaceship. You battle on top of her Classic ship, as it flies through the galaxy. The rounded shape of the ship would make it pretty unique.
Every now and then, Space Pirates will fly their ships near Samus' ship, creating extra platforms, as well as shooting pirates.
And at times, the ship will land on random planets. She may land in the middle of a lava lake (or, hover above it), so lava sometimes shoots up pillars on either side. And at times it will land right Before Kraid, who will attack the ship.

So many things they could do with this stage, I love it.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Every stage has a new Final Destination skin that can be chosen to have a flat plane, and no stage hazards. What are your thoughts? How will this affect competitive play? Do you like this new change? I certainly love this option, and we still have our own Final Destination Stage.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
Now there taking the No items. Fox only. Final Destination to a whole new level.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
This could very easily be fixed, Sakurai: keep the platforms.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I think its fine. FD is literally THE most neutral stage overall and I love the idea.
Nope. It's not. It does not favor all characters equally. Much of Smash's competitive meta game revolves around platform usage. I'm pretty sure competitive players all support the removal of hazards, but removing all platforms does not make sense.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
@ TheBuzzSaw TheBuzzSaw

This is an argument that has been around since Melee.

The consensus is clear. Final Destination (unless the world flipped upside down in the last three years since I played a tournament) has been the preferred layout, whether it's actually the fairest or not

Sakurai is appealing to the clearly obvious majority that prefers Final Destination for competitive matches

AND IT'S ONLY AN OPTION. You can STILL PLAY with platforms. You'll just have to endure stage hazards such as the Yellow Devil and Lava like you always have.

Is there seriously whining that Sakurai has bent over backwards to make online the most accessible possible experience to both the casual and hardcore? Are we freaking out over one little 13 year old thing?

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
That... is simply not true. Heck, I believe it was Hax who started a thread recently proposing that we make all tournaments Battlefield only. What "majority" are you referring to? I thought the "majority" preferred stage hazards, items, and having a good time. As far as competitive players are concerned, they like neutral stages. The obsession over Final Destination was a 2003 era set of Japan rules.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The Pokemon stage for Wii U is the Pokemon League. It switches between rooms because during Greninja's fight with Fox, they are in the Dragon chamber.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
That... is simply not true. Heck, I believe it was Hax who started a thread recently proposing that we make all tournaments Battlefield only. What "majority" are you referring to? I thought the "majority" preferred stage hazards, items, and having a good time. As far as competitive players are concerned, they like neutral stages. The obsession over Final Destination was a 2003 era set of Japan rules.
Yeah, TheBuzzSaw is definitely right.

Long time, Buzz. Long time.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
A lot of the stages that were shown today, look so, unviable..competitively speaking. I mean, geez, SO FLIPPIN HUGE. For the glory doesn't make up for that ether.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
Bye bye, Samus platform missile cancels :C
This is a nice, simple explanation for why FD isn't the most balanced stage.

Also, I find it really, really boring (and I can't be the only one).

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
FD isn't neutral because Fox can run to the side and shoot lasers. Also Chain Grabs.

I appreciate Sakurai's appeasement to us even though he's dead wrong.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Not only is Final Destination, beautiful, but now almost every stage has a similar structure of it, THANK YOU BASED SAKURAI! *bows* I am not worthy. . .

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
No platforms in the 'For Glory" mode is a painfully misguided interpretation of competitive Smash. Sure, many do love FD, but stages with platforms do add a level of depth and variety that will in time be missed online. Odd how they pitched it as gaining more stages when they're removing such an elementary building block of what makes each arena unique. This is not a feature, it's a cut corner.

Really now devs, pay closer attention to the community and throw the ill-informed stereotypes out the window. All FD, all the time is the exact kind of nonsense you should be filtering out. Of course if you're goal was to tire people of playing sooner, congratulations on a job w̶e̶l̶l̶ done.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
No platforms in the 'For Glory" mode is a painfully misguided interpretation of competitive Smash. Sure, many do love FD, but stages with platforms do add a level of depth and variety that will in time be missed online. Odd how they pitched it as gaining more stages when they're removing such an elementary building block of what makes each arena unique. This is not a feature, it's a cut corner.

Really now devs, pay closer attention to the community and throw the ill-informed stereotypes out the window. All FD, all the time is the exact kind of nonsense you should be filtering out. Of course if you're goal was to tire people of playing sooner, congratulations on a job w̶e̶l̶l̶ done.
If it only allows you to play as Fox it'll be perfect.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
I wished there were platforms on the "for glory" stages, oh well.

Why did Sakuraj use Generic springs for Palutena's temple tho?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I wished there were platforms on the "for glory" stages, oh well.

Why did Sakuraj use Generic springs for Palutena's temple tho?
Hopefully there will also be battlefield versions of each stage.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Just be happy that Sakurai has thought about the competitive community at all, instead of whining because there aren't any platforms... I think 'For Glory' is a great addition.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I am pleased by the "for glory" hate I'm seeing. I had thought you guys would love it and was seriously worried about what it would do to the competitive scene.
I don't understand the hate for it. For Glory mode is only for random smash battles isn't it? You can still customize stages and items any way you want if it's with friends.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So, returning stages confirmed. ^^ Jungle Japes, and Halberd. Awesome. I hope there's at least 5 returning stages in each game.

Wing T

Smash Rookie
It's not "hate" necessarily, it's just that the whole idea of that online game mode is for competitive play. How anyone could argue that FD is neutral is beyond me. Certain characters have significant advantages on a flat, open, stage (especially for chain grabs or ranged attacks). Certain characters also have significant advantages on platforms (characters with great platform cancels, Marth who has tippers that can reach platforms, etc.). This is why BF is considered the most neutral stage among pro players in the game because it has platforms but it is still spaced nicely so that those platforms cannot be abused. It would have made more sense for the competitive mode to just eliminate stage hazards/transformations rather than platforms or basic stage architecture. The lack of platforms also just removes a lot of the vertical strategy in the overall game (i.e. the risk/reward of being on the top platform).

Unless this game is the most incredibly balanced smash game yet (which seems unlikely), then certain characters are going to be better in the 'FD modes', while others are going to be better in the regular modes. Meaning that its going to make some characters relatively unplayable in online competitive play (against the TOP level players) while others will be the most viable. My prediction is that it will create 2 separate metagames.

All that being said, I really respect Sakurai's attempts at pleasing competitive players. It's a great start, and who knows, maybe with response from players there will be DLC/patches that introduces tweaks to the competitive online mode.

Last edited:

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
I also learned that Animal Crossing's Town and City Stage is one whole level. I thought it was going to be something like the Smash Ring

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Does anyone know what stage this is?

It somehow reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles..

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I believe it's part of that 3DS exlusive contact they talked about last night.

Top Bottom