• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Does anyone know what stage this is?

It somehow reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles..
I thought the same thing. The strange "wheel" thing behind her makes me think of the Mechonis. All the other details are a little weird though.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Someone in the Shulk thread said that may be a picture from Smash Run. I have no idea what it could be. Though you're right it does give off a Xenoblade vibe.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
As you've heard in the Nintendo Direct these Smash games will incorporate bosses through stages! So I figured we should have a topic to discuss them.

Currently, we have one officially confirmed stage boss:

Yellow Devil (Dr. Wily's Castle [Wii U])

We also have three potential unconfirmed stage bosses:

Ridley (Pyrosphere [Wii U])

Dark Lord (Find Mii [3DS])

Shark (Tortimer Island [3DS])

What do you guys think of Stage Bosses? Who do you want to see as a Stage Boss, what kind of moves do you think they can have?
Just discuss anything you want to about Stage Bosses here.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Kinda doubt Shark is a boss, but that'd be pretty cool haha.

I like it and I don't... I wish it was optional because especially in the case of Pyrosphere it'd be nice to just be able to play without having to worry about them showing up. Hopefully they are relatively rare.

That said, I think they'll be a fun, chaotic change to the pace if they do only show up rarely. I'm pretty optimistic.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I feel mostly the same, but I'm actually very happy to see more characters be a part of the battlefield.
I was a big fan of the bosses in Brawl, and it is nice to see them return to some extent.

Yeah the Shark may not be a Stage Boss, but who knows? Would be an interesting opponent. The person who defeats it would probably sell it to Tom Nook and the stage would shower in bells damaging everyone else.

Permafisticuffs

Smash Rookie
Really excited about Balloon Fight and Rainbow Road!

What do you all think the probability is that we see some N64 stages come back? Maybe in the 3DS version?

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
I think it should be exclusive to Wily's Castle. Having multiple stages with these stage bosses would be a bit repetitive.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
I really like this concept. It makes things a lot more chaotic and gives it the feel of a party game. Which is great as an optional device.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think it should be exclusive to Wily's Castle. Having multiple stages with these stage bosses would be a bit repetitive.
Well seeing as it's already been confirmed that Stage Bosses will appear in other stages, it's safe to assume they will be a fair amount for each version.

Here's a couple of ideas.

Bouldergeist (Mario Galaxy [Wii U])

Robopup (Living Room [3DS])

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
I just realized that Kotake and Koume might act as bosses for the Gerudo Valley stage.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I just realized that Kotake and Koume might act as bosses for the Gerudo Valley stage.
Hm... While that may be a possibility, the gameplay suggests they are in the background. Considering that Yellow Devil, Dark Lord, and Ridley are all in the main battleground and are essentially at ground level I heavily doubt they are. But the possibility of Twinrova appearing has peaked my interest.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Someone in the Shulk thread said that may be a picture from Smash Run. I have no idea what it could be. Though you're right it does give off a Xenoblade vibe.
Watching the 3DS footage again, I think I definitely saw it in Smash run.

I'm sure there'll be an actual Xenoblade stage, can't wait to see what they choose...

You know what else? I'm shocked, because aside from Jungle Japes, I'm not sure we've seen an actual DK stage yet.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That whole map is really interesting.

Still want to know the DK stages in that case. Watch it to be Gangplank Galleon, I'll laugh so hard.

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
How about this stage with the water and sunset? As far as we know, Battlefield is the only Wii U stage with a sunset, and Pilot Wings is the only Wii U stage with water (I don't believe they've confirmed whether or not the time of day changes on Pilot Wings).
screen-8.jpg

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Hm... While that may be a possibility, the gameplay suggests they are in the background. Considering that Yellow Devil, Dark Lord, and Ridley are all in the main battleground and are essentially at ground level I heavily doubt they are. But the possibility of Twinrova appearing has peaked my interest.
Yeah it seems more likely that they're a stage hazard. But it's a possibility. Or maybe they will eventually turn into Twinrova and become a boss like hazard. Like you said, this has peaked my interest haha.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
How about this stage with the water and sunset? As far as we know, Battlefield is the only Wii U stage with a sunset, and Pilot Wings is the only Wii U stage with water (I don't believe they've confirmed whether or not the time of day changes on Pilot Wings).View attachment 11796
Is that actually water, or is it simply an opaque sheet of clouds?

The background horizons seems too grey and mottled to be water. It's probably FD, in such a case.

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
People who still think Ridley is playable are just deluded. There is really no chance.

Even if you say that that Ridley is a clone or a robot or whatever, it still wouldn't make sense for a 'normal' sized Ridley to show up alongside a 'fighter-sized' Ridley. It would just look weird and vaguely unsettling.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Gangplank Galleon....with K Rool as a stage hazard/boss
At least people would get to see him. If he can't be playable, bring it on I say. Only stage with a boss I wouldn't just use the FD variant of.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
People who still think Ridley is playable are just deluded. There is really no chance.

Even if you say that that Ridley is a clone or a robot or whatever, it still wouldn't make sense for a 'normal' sized Ridley to show up alongside a 'fighter-sized' Ridley. It would just look weird and vaguely unsettling.
It would be the clone ridley on pyrosphere and original ridley playable. He is clearly a boss but I still believe he could be playable. The only reason I think he will be playable right now is because he's not being disconfirmed and just teased

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I think one of the captions for the Reset Bomb Factory referred to Cragalanche if I remember correctly. He'd seem to be more of a boss you'd beat up than Viridi anyways, so I could see that being a Boss (assuming they exist on the 3DS).

R0Y

Smash Master

He's both a stage boss and playable.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

There is still enough chance for reasonable doubt, albeit it not being large.
I think one of the captions for the Reset Bomb Factory referred to Cragalanche if I remember correctly. He'd seem to be more of a boss you'd beat up than Viridi anyways, so I could see that being a Boss (assuming they exist on the 3DS).
Hm, you bring up an interesting point. The only problem I see with that possibility is that the stage layout may not worth with a stage boss. There may not be enough room for Cragalanche to move around in. But the possibility is there...

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace

No. Just no.

I mean, can you imagine how weird it would be seeing regular sized Ridley up against a miniature Ridley the size of Bowser? As I said, the chances are 0 to 1.

Anyway, I think I made a discussion not to long ago about potential bosses, but that thread was based on the bosses more than the stages. Meh, whatever.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Sakurai didn't show Ridley in full because he wants players to discover the other bosses on their own.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575

You're talking about a game where 4 people can select different-colored Marios and fight each other. How is that any less unsettling? It's supposed to be chaotic and non-canon.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
You know, this and "he's not ready yet" sound like the only viable things that completely break any chances of Ridley. Though why he teased Ridley... that still feels so aggravating.
If the game is being released anywhere from 2-4 months, he would be ready to be revealed. The characters and implementation should be fairly close to done by now, at least enough to a point to showcase if they want to.

If anything, Ridley not being done would indicate boss status more than playable status, given that he'd only be a boss on the WiiU version (giving them 7-8 months to finish his model)

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I was iffy about Stage Bosses at first, but it has warmed on me tremendously. The fact that they are not just hazards you need to stop the battle to fight, but elements that you can use strategically to gain the upper hand in battle makes them a much more charming feature.

When Ridley joins the battle, Kraid is in charge of wrecking Pyrosphere.
Kraid: "Blaaaaaaargh!"

Just sayin'...weirder things have happened.

Last edited:
The Balloon Fight stage has characters wrap through the other side of the stage when they leave the screen, rather than being KO'd. I suppose only ceiling KOs are possible, unless that man-eating fish shows up again.

Top Bottom