• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

The Warzone (Advance Wars)

You fight in the middle of a destroyed city or grassy plain (random to rep either of the DS games) while armies battle each other in the background. Sometimes they pop up on stage and attack you, or you could just get caught in the line of fire.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
A cool idea would be a stage mockup thread, where you can show drawings and artwork of what new stages could potentially look like. If you guys like the idea, I'll make the thread.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Powerstars: sure, go right on ahead. :)

And I'm feeling like posting some stage ideas.

[COLLAPSE="Some stage ideas (contain spoilers for other games)"]Rosalina's Comet Observatory (Super Mario Galaxy + Galaxy 2)
Would travel around galaxies from both Galaxy games. Starship Mario, the Toad Brigade, Rosalina and the Lumas would cameo here.

Rainbow Road (Mario Kart series)
Would have an original layout and borrow elements from all Rainbow Roads, including: rainbow Thwomps from SNES, the moon from MK7 version, have elements from Super Mario Galaxy like the Wii version (Star Bits and the star launcher) or rainbow colored figures of Mario characters (like in the Double Dash version, I think...). The stage would be like Mute City.

Mario Toy Company (Mario vs. Donkey Kong)
Set in city rooftops with the Toy Compay building and Mini Mario theme parks seen in the background, making this a sort of successor to 64's Saffron City and Melee's Fourside.
One of the buildings would spawn Mini Marios, Mini Peaches, Mini Toads, Mini DKs and Mini Paulines, which the players could grab and use as items until they break.
Sometimes, a mechanical Donkey Kong would appear riding on a platform reminiscent of the DK arcade game's (see 75m in Brawl), throwing barrels, bricks and all sorts of junk at the players. This obstacle would be warned by the classic DK intro tune, also present in 75m in Brawl.
In the background, posters featuring pre-Rare DK characters would appear, such as Stanley, DK Jr. and Pauline. The three Toads (one red, one blue and one yellow) proeminent in the MvsDK series could be seen operating a crane in a constuction set in the background.

Return to Dream Land (Kirby series)
Mostly inspired in the Wii Kirby game, this stage would be a combination of many settings. Like 64's Dream Land and Melee's Green Greens, expect Whispy Woods, a rainbow and star shaped objects, unlike the mentioned stages, this wouldn't take on a floating island, rather being on land, having walk off KO zones. The sun and moon bosses (can't remember their names) would switch the stage from day to night and from night to day as an aesthetic feature.

Angel Land's Divine Ride (Kid Icarus series)
Taking place atop a marble platform with glowing symbols, this stage would take the players to many landscapes from the Kid Icarus series including Skyworld (with Palutena's Temple visible in the background), Underworld, Overworld (could be a human town modeled after typical Ancient Greek towns), Temple Ruins (place where Pit and Dark Pit fight in Uprising), the Space-Pirate Ship, the Labyrinth of Deceit, the Thunder Cloud Temple, the Lightning Chariot Base, an assortment of Aurum islands and ships, the Chaos Vortex and Dyntos's Workshop.[/COLLAPSE]

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
Although it's not much less of a Mother 3 spoiler than New Pork City was, I was looking at the exterior of the Chimera Lab today and thought that the roof could possibly make a good Smash battle ground. And similar to Saffron City in SSB64, random chimeras, such as a Kangashark, an Ostrelephsnt, a Batangutan, and even the Ultimate Chimera, could show up and mess with the players.

http://starmen.net/mother3/walkthroughs/maps/Chapter 4 Maps/Chimera Lab.png

CalumG

Smash Lord
As an idea for a Pokemon Stage:

Pokemon Stadium III/Pokemon Battle Phase/Pokemon Colosseum
(The stage name isn't important)

Picture a stage with similar blast lines and layout to Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Stadium 2, as well as being incredibly visually similar, right down to having an arena with a city behind, screen in the background, and the arena itself looks very similar to how it does in Melee and Brawl. However, on the front of the main platform - that is, the face of it that is pointing towards the screen - there's a big mounted LCD screen, which moves through Pokemon menus and displays information like Pictochat's floor does. The two dropthrough platforms are longer, glow green, and get smaller as the players hit them, with the left platform being higher up than the right one. In this sense, it's a combination of Pokemon Stadium and the Pokemon Battle screen, with the main platform representing the text box at the bottom and the two platforms being, effectively, health bars which get shorter and change colour as they get damaged.

Pokemon Stadium III comes in three flavours, much like Mushroomy Kingdom - Red Version, Blue Version and Green Version. Blue Version is very rare in Japan, whereas Green Version is very rare in International Versions. Each version of the stage is effectively the same but with a few additional moving platforms, heavy lighting (coloured depending on the colour chosen), different cameos from Pokemon in the Background and different Weather Trio patterns embedded on the floor depending on the version.

Although the stage is visually similar to Pokemon Stadium, it does not transform - the gimmicks of the stage are the three different versions of it and the health bar platforms which can be depleted.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
what about pokestar studios from pokemon black and white 2? i think it has potential as a stage

the stage could change to match the many films in b&w2 and of course cameos from the pokemon from said movies as background characters and stage hazards

CalumG

Smash Lord
what about pokestar studios from pokemon black and white 2? i think it has potential as a stage

the stage could change to match the many films in b&w2 and of course cameos from the pokemon from said movies as background characters and stage hazards
The main issue I have with this is that Sakurai himself has discussed how the Pokemon Company are very specific about their dealings with Smash Bros., and how he believes that representing Pokemon in Smash isn't just representing a series of games - it's about representing a global brand which goes much deeper than just video games (although the games are obviously the focus). It's why the Pokemon line-up in the roster tends to be influenced by a Pokemon's popularity in the anime (see Jigglypuff and Lucario), and it's why every stage we get for Pokemon seems to either not be based on a game location at all (Pokemon Stadium I, Pokemon Stadium II, PokeFloats) or barely resembles the ingame location it was based on (Saffron City, Spear Pillar).

As such, it seems to me that any potential Pokemon stages should either be based on a re-occurring location, an incredibly important location, or be a generic location that represents the series as a whole, rather than one which represents a very specific mini-game in Pokemon Black and White 2.

I think a good representative stage for Pokemon as a whole would be one with a generic Pokemon city in the background (complete with Poke-blimps, adverts for Devon Corp and Silph Co., and numerous other references) whilst the players fight on top of three buildings in the foreground - a Pokemon Center, a PokeMart and a Pokemon Gym. In B&W they merged the Mart with the Center and they got rid of the 'standard' look for gyms, but to me, when I think of the re-occurring features of Pokemon locations, those are the landmarks that come to mind.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think a good representative stage for Pokemon as a whole would be one with a generic Pokemon city in the background (complete with Poke-blimps, adverts for Devon Corp and Silph Co., and numerous other references) whilst the players fight on top of three buildings in the foreground - a Pokemon Center, a PokeMart and a Pokemon Gym. In B&W they merged the Mart with the Center and they got rid of the 'standard' look for gyms, but to me, when I think of the re-occurring features of Pokemon locations, those are the landmarks that come to mind.
yeah but generic stages not based on anything in particular get kind of dull after a while

CalumG

Smash Lord
yeah but generic stages not based on anything in particular get kind of dull after a while
That's true - I guess I could see some stages based on things in the games - maybe Castelia City for example, but not following the same trope as Saffron in N64 and Fourside in Melee. If they ever expanded to include spin-offs (spin-off games, not spin-off media), they could make a Pokemon Island (from Pokemon Snap) stage too, which would be great. The main stage platform would move around an island by way of rail, whilst various critters jump out or just make cameos in the background, in lush backdrops, complete with waterfalls, caves etc. It'd represent the N64 era of Pokemon but they could include newer Pokemon on the island too, since they love making as many Pokemon cameos as possible when it comes to Pokemon stages.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I was just thinking of another idea for a stage that I think would be cool. Faron Woods from Skyward Sword. Specifically you would be fighting on the big tree in the center there would we several platforms one bigger upper platform and several mid to small sized platforms below it. As the fight goes on the stage will flood and the lower platforms will be submerged and the physics would be different underwater. Maybe for hazards while under water some of those bomb sharks would show up.

D

Deleted member

A cool idea would be a stage mockup thread, where you can show drawings and artwork of what new stages could potentially look like. If you guys like the idea, I'll make the thread.
I'm in, I could use this as good practice.

You should make it so people can either post ideas or post artwork. I'd like to try my hand at expressing some potential stage ideas that other people may have.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm in, I could use this as good practice.

You should make it so people can either post ideas or post artwork. I'd like to try my hand at expressing some potential stage ideas that other people may have.
He has already made it. However, not a single user posted anything there. (-_-);;

SheepHurdurr

Smash Rookie
I think a quick snap of camera angle would be cool. Example: If Corneria flipped around to venom mid-battle.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just hope there's a better balance of franchises represented. The games have always had more Mario stages (even if you discount the Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario ones) but it got ridiculous in Brawl. There ware about 5 Mario stages, 2 for Zelda Pokemon and DK and one for everything else, even franchises with many characters like Star Fox and Mother.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I just hope there's a better balance of franchises represented. The games have always had more Mario stages (even if you discount the Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario ones) but it got ridiculous in Brawl. There ware about 5 Mario stages, 2 for Zelda Pokemon and DK and one for everything else, even franchises with many characters like Star Fox and Mother.
You forgot Metroid. And that was a top franchise. Or not?
But it's not just about stages. Even the amount of characters is firmly umbalanced.
So, in your humble opinion, should the number of stages for each franchise be directly or inversally proportional to the number of chars?
In other words:

A) More chars => More stages

B) More chars => Less stages

Personally I'm more for the B plan, cause, at least in classic mode, it raises the variabilities for each match even within few chars. Assumed, of course, you fight each franchise only one time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Woops, forgot Metroid.

What I liked about melee is that one character franchises got 2 stages meaning that you could see more than one aspect of their universe. Like the Yoshi's island stages.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I want to see stages based on the following:

New Super Mario Bros. series - maybe a stage called "New Mushroom Kingdom"?
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I like the idea of Starship Mario
Super Mario 3D Land - maybe Bowser's Castle or Airship, maybe both and it scrolls like "Rainbow Cruise"?
Mario Kart series - I want Rainbow Road

Donkey Kong Country Returns - I would like a stage similar to 64/Melee's Kongo Jungle, you know, with the Barrel Cannon under the stage
Mario vs. Donkey Kong series - Super Mini-Mario World seems like an interesting stage with amusement park elements and hazards

Ocarina of Time 3D - Chamber of Sages, it warps to Lost Woods, Death Mountain, Lake Hylia, Kakariko Village, Desert Colossus, and Temple of Time
Spirit Tracks - I like the idea of Spirit Train, it could be the new "Big Blue" where we fight on the speeding train
Skyward Sword - maybe Lanayru Sand Sea, maybe it alternates between desert and ocean

Other M - somewhere inside the Bottle Ship, maybe Cryosphere, well, it's the closest thing we have to Phendrana Drifts from Metroid Prime
Super Metroid - definitely Tourian with Mother Brain in the background shooting beams at the stage

Yarn Yoshi - I just like the aesthetics of this game that I would love a stage looking like that
Yoshi's Island 3DS - ditto... maybe based on Nep-Enut's Domain if it is in the 3DS sequel?

Kirby's Epic Yarn - maybe Patch Castle as the new "Hyrule Temple"?
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - maybe Cookie Country as the new "Green Greens"?

Star Fox 64 3D - maybe Macbeth, where we battle on the Great Fox and we can fight on it in both camera angles like "Corneria" and "Venom"

Pokemon Colosseum - hopefully the only "Pokemon Stadium" stage in SSB4 with 8 types (Grass, Fire, Water, Electric, Dragon, Bug, Fighting, Ghost)

EarthBound - definitely Threed, it's basically Onett set at night and it's got zombies

Game & Watch series - Flat Zone 3 based on Greenhouse, Donkey Kong Jr., Turtle Bridge, and Fire Attack

Kid Icarus - Underworld, it could be the new "Rumble Falls", but set in ancient Greece
Kid Icarus: Uprising - I like the idea of the Aurum Hive as a stage

Wario Land: Shake It! - maybe Ratl Ruins, I kinda like the Mayan motif

Pikmin 3 - maybe Distant Planet 2? I dunno, I just want a new Pikmin stage

Balloon Kid - definitely Pencilvania... maybe set in winter to double as a new Ice Climber stage and a Balloon Fight stage

Nazo no Murasame Jou - Murasame Castle seems like a good stage idea, I always liked the idea of an Okami-like ancient Japanese castle with sakura trees

Punch-Out!! series - definitely the boxing ring, maybe the stage could be named "W.V.B.A."?

Wii Sports series - definitely Wuhu Island

Duck Hunt - Shooting Range, with trees serving as platforms, ducks fly out of tall grass and get shot

Pushmo series - Smashmo Park, platforms "appear" or "disappear" when they are pushed out or back in

Nintendo Land - maybe a simple stage like "Smashville" and it's called "Nintendo Land"

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
How about trophy matches for the multiplayer? I mean: You can take a trophy, rotate till you like the ground and till the system tells it's acceptable, and fight on it like in the trophy matches among the events of SSB Melee, eccept this time it's with people.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
How about a Mario RPG stage?

Though the question is what would it be. Palace of Shadow or Chapter 6 (Though if you want a train, Spirit Tracks or Paradise Line from Mother 1) sound like nice choices. A few chapters of Sticker Star aren't that bad. SPM has The Ultimate Show and the Dojo but I can't really make too much out of ideas for this one. M&L for the three I kinda forget. I doubt something from SMRPG since lol square rights

Thoughts?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
How about a Mario RPG stage?

Though the question is what would it be. Palace of Shadow or Chapter 6 (Though if you want a train, Spirit Tracks or Paradise Line from Mother 1) sound like nice choices. A few chapters of Sticker Star aren't that bad. SPM has The Ultimate Show and the Dojo but I can't really make too much out of ideas for this one. M&L for the three I kinda forget. I doubt something from SMRPG since lol square rights

Thoughts?

Long time no see.

As for a Mario RPG stage: I'm keen on the idea of a Paper Mario stage being a "catch all" for the various Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi (more so through music in the case of the M&L series). Toad Town makes sense considering both the latest and original Paper Mario titles had Toad Town as the main hub of activity. It does not lend itself to being the most exciting option available, but for representation it makes a lot of sense.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So heres a stage idea of mine.

Pac-Man Maze - The stage itself will work similar to Dalfino from Brawl. By that i mean that the stage will switch locations during combat.

Hazards: The ghosts will occasionally hit the players. (Similar to the enemies on the Mario Bros stage in brawl but not as over powered)

[collapse=Pac-Man stage and locations]

Location 1:

Location 2:

Location 3:

Location 4:

Location 5:
[/collapse]

[collapse=Stage music]
[/collapse]

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Stage idea #2.

The Stage! - The place where you battle enemies in Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. Also, the stage props in the background will work as platforms. So the stage wont be flat.

Hazards: Audience members will throw rocks, hammers, etc. at the players and some of the background props will fall on the players. (The ones that aren't platforms)

Cameos - Rawk Hawk, Kolorado, the party members from the first two games and the pixels from Super Paper Mario, Koopa Bros, and Crystal King will sit in the audience.

[collapse=Music]
[/collapse]

Your idea is not bad but how about this looking and this music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOgOGLKRekE

Also this music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpzbbnXuovc

Plus, I think Location 4 should be the first one, since it's Pacman's starting position in the original game.
Good choices. Added them to the Pac-Man stage's music list.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Stage idea #2.

The Stage! - The place where you battle enemies in Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. Also, the stage props in the background will work as platforms. So the stage wont be flat.

Hazards: Audience members will throw rocks, hammers, etc. at the players.

Cameos - Rawk Hawk, Kolorado, Goombario, and Crystal King will sit in the audience.
Yo Dawg! I herd you like stages so I putted The Stage as stage, so you can fight on a stage while you fight on a stage.
Seriously, nice Idea! But I want even Mario's helpers from the first two Paper Marios ramdomly among the audience.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yo Dawg! I herd you like stages so I putted The Stage as stage, so you can fight on a stage while you fight on a stage.
Seriously, nice Idea! But I want even Mario's helpers from the first two Paper Marios ramdomly among the audience.
I think some of those guys along with the pixels from Super Paper Mario will be part of Paper Mario's moveset if he got in. However, if he doesn't get in and they still made a stage like this, i could see all the party members and pixels in the audience.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
For an Earthbound stage, I could definitely see Saturn Valley. It's the only location in the series to be in more than one game (or at least, the concept of it).
[COLLAPSE="Freakin' huge pictures of Saturn Valley"]

[/COLLAPSE]
The hazards here could involve hot springs, balloons, and birds. Maybe even make it so Mr. Saturn automatically jump into the stage to act as throwable items if they're turned on in item options, or at least make them much more likely to appear.

Songs that could work, maybe?

Saturn Valley (Earthbound)
Battle Against a Mobile Opponent
Saturn Valley (Mother 3)
Open Sesame Tofu! Remix
Piggy Guys Remix

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm curious if for the retro stages whether they'll import them exactly as they were in the previous game, as in the past of this series, or if they will remake them, considering how big the graphical gap will [hopefully] be this time around.

Anyway, for stages I really want to see:

I suggested it for Brawl, and I still want it: Sol Sanctum from Golden Sun. You know in the underground portion where they're over the "ocean". It would consist of one large main platform and smaller ones of various heights on the outer edges.

Of course, Venus Lighthouse would be great, too.

For Pokemon I want to see another city stage. We didn't really have any with Brawl and that was disappointing. The big city from Generation V would be nice, but just give us a city stage!

Also, if they make an Animal Crossing stage it needs to change seasons, not just day/night.

Overall, I want less generic single main platform with small platforms above it stages. Nothing against the competitive scene, but how many different stages do they need? Brawl was oversatured by this type of stages. We need more variety this time around.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I'm curious if for the retro stages whether they'll import them exactly as they were in the previous game, as in the past of this series, or if they will remake them, considering how big the graphical gap will [hopefully] Also, if they make an Animal Crossing stage it needs to change seasons, not just day/night.
I approve! I would add weather too.
Also, I'd like it looking like what the game will be on the Wii U, not like it was in the previous edition.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
I honestly wouldn't mind them just remaking the original battlefield for SSB4's battlefield.
I think it would look amazing with the enhanced graphics. I loved the dark mysterious vibe it had. Like your lost in some sort evil garden, the markings always made me think of a labyrinth.

also, they should remake The Meta Crystal level. Make it longer and suitable for more players of course though. Loved the look of this level too.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
For a Final Fantasy arena there will be 2 stages that changes randomly.

Cornelia field

In this arena you will fight on a floating platform above the field, and castle of Cornelia.
Cameos: Bahamut,Chocobos, and Moogles.
The music in Cornelia field will play music of a field or main theme.
FFI field theme-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqsfWC1QtHM
FFII The Rebel Army-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UlKXZEl7n0
FFIII Eternal Wind-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_faEGClV0I
FFIV Within the Giant-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq3Xo84PxsA
FFV Mambo de Chocobo-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gq-uEtyQ2U
FFVI Terra's theme-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RPY-oiDAQ
FFVII Main Theme-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UARM4q7hHU
FFVIII Blue Fields-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdGoENQNQ4
FFIX Over the Hill-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_nFdq12kw
FFX A fleeting dream-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miuNmfcBfu8
FFXI opening theme-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlks4Bz2OgI
FFXII Theme of the Empire-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3vT3hp0U5w
FFXIII Sunleth Waterscape (instrumental)-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYzOUp9o9x4
Final Fantasy: Main theme of the Final Fantasy series-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=552_znU_sGs

Chaos Shrine

The ruins were the warriors of light fought Garland, and Chaos. The arena has breakable parts sometimes Garland or Chaos will try to attack the opponents.
Cameos: Garland,Chaos
The music in this arena will play battle, and boss themes excluding FFI.
FFI Chaos' shrine-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvYlMeMmBbc
FFII Emperor Mateus final boss-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZwYb5MP5Kc
FFIII battle theme-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAGtTmmx0s
FFIV battle with the four fiends-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvJkKwk8qYE
FFV Clash on the Big Bridge-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMTXyExkeI
FFVI The Decisive Battle-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-Lhkm93pI
FFVII Fight on-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY1Vetd7OCs
FFVIII Man with the Machine gun-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs
FFIX The Dark Messenger-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSi6_hbpo8
FFX battle against Seymour-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWE0nlhpdq8
FFXI awakening-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pSw7RbcAcs
FFXII esper battle-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBb0HfSSlcE
FFXIII Blinded by Light-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfu0XBf8kmk
DFF Feral Chaos theme-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmo584truz8

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I know most people don't really like scrolling stages, but perhaps the Scarescraper from Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon could work as a good Icicle Mountain/Rumble Falls type stage where it goes up and up through the tower with ghosts and what not also coming into the fight.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I know most people don't really like scrolling stages, but perhaps the Scarescraper from Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon could work as a good Icicle Mountain/Rumble Falls type stage where it goes up and up through the tower with ghosts and what not also coming into the fight.
holy hell i haven't seen you in forever

We need a train stage this time around. Chapter 6 of TTYD, Paradise Line, or Spirit Truc- I mean Tracks. Pick one. What would you all prefer? All could offer interesting mechanics and fantastic music.

Top Bottom