• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St. Paul Biweeklies!

Eci4

Smash Ace
Wouldn't that mean that the high-point people are set up with low-point people? meaning my *** will be torn?
yes... it would also mean new peopleto the tournaments (such as myself) get put up against the very best (FUN!)

haha, if it is used for seeding, it totally punishes people for not making it to every tournament

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
thats how it always goes mastrofmydomain.... I almost always play someone whos kinda new/kinda bad for my first round so using the rankings as seedings is a good idea.

Uno

Smash Journeyman
muahahahha rankings = good.

6-10 pointers will end up playing each other alot... sounds good

D. Disciple

Smash Master
So we might be playing against each other first round Uno. Man I thought I got higher than that, ah well I just gotta pick up my game with Pika even more. All Pika this tourney!

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Dang. I'll probably be playing chexr and aaron first 2 rounds. Lawlzorz. Making it to one tournament and placing poorly will really pwn me. Are we actually going to use this? And for teams too?

Are Yoshii/Deepak or any other River Falls people coming to this?

Eci4

Smash Ace
Dang. I'll probably be playing chexr and aaron first 2 rounds. Lawlzorz. Making it to one tournament and placing poorly will really pwn me. Are we actually going to use this? And for teams too?
I don't think it would be used for teams... I mean, these are singles results, teams is something completly different...

Once again I'm just talking with zero credibility

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
Disciple- my falcon actually got alot better since you last saw him I would consider him my second best now tied with fox so watch out. also if my pichu could 2 stock you do you think think falcon cant =P

I did take some lessons from tapion just by watching him play and he would say stop stealing my moves.

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
The singles rankings will be used for singles seeding.

Teams seeding would require a list made from teams results. I might do it later, but I don't want to deal with tracking down the members of each team right now.

ChopTheRed

Smash Apprentice
The only bad thing about the seeding thing is that someone who faces Aaron or Chexr will never be able to progress up the ladder, so they will stay last or near last on the ladder. They wont play then, since they dont want to pay 10 dollars to get horribly owned the first round. But then again, they could redeem themselves in the loser's bracket.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
The only bad thing about the seeding thing is that someone who faces Aaron or Chexr will never be able to progress up the ladder, so they will stay last or near last on the ladder. They wont play then, since they dont want to pay 10 dollars to get horribly owned the first round. But then again, they could redeem themselves in the loser's bracket.
playing aaron/chexr is going to improve them more than playing anyone else, and besides, going to the loser bracket they're going to play someone else who lost so it won't be a big deal.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I learn from everybody I play at the biweeklies.

And with my whopping 2 points it looks like I'm going against the big guns. I might have to scrap Game & Watch. I still have my noob Samus, noob Peach, noob Falco, and noob Ice Climbers as backup. Maybe even noob Bowser...nah. I've been trying a lot of different characters.

My GW is even better than last time though. Still my best char.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Not necessarily. I agree it will improve them some but you cant just throw some newbie at the best person at the tourney and expect them to learn how to play better.
i disagree. i think that it would do exactly that. humans learn best through imitation... that's why we get better at things by losing.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't plan on entering teams but if anyone's left without a partner and wants to enter teams I will gladly be their partner. :) Just let me know.
Update on that statement: I am still volunteering to be anyone's backup partner, but otherwise I will be entering teams with a CPU partner :nerd:

yayuhzzzzzzzz

ChopTheRed

Smash Apprentice
i disagree. i think that it would do exactly that. humans learn best through imitation... that's why we get better at things by losing.
If this were true, I'd be the best smash player ever. I can play for 2-3 hours with mastr and only win a few times. As TC would say, too good...

Anyways, a newbie isnt going to get better right off the bat, unless he knows what techniques the more experienced player is doing. If he has no clue as to what l-cancelling, shorthopping, wavedashing, etc. is, chances are, he wont get better.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know where the thread of the MLG vegas videos are? Where PC chris gets 1st...M2k does well?...I know there used to be a thread of all the links to the videos. Pubes.

yoshii

Smash Ace
This is the way its always been. You are going to have to face Aaron and Chexr at some point, whether you make it to second, third, round, etc... is up to you. The bottom ranked players will improve when they play people like Aaron and Chexr. You just have to deal with losing over and over again, and in that you will eventually become better. You really have to play for more then 2-3 hours against someone good to really get what im saying. (Im not picking out anyone or directing my comments to anyone when I say this) When I first started playing smash it was a very SLOW process, and I felt the same way you felt. Im lucky to have had the opportunity to face a "former best in WI" Teflon, to really get good. It helps to play every single day too. No matter how bad you get beat, you have to keep playing.

I just hate to hear people crying about never getting better, when they haven't put the full time in it takes to get better.

On another note, let me get my money matches straight if I do somehow manage to get to this tournament:/...
JS-$5 mm
Masterofmydomain- $5 mm
GB - $5 mm
Aaron - yl $1 mm?
am i missing anyone?

GreenBunny9999

Smash Apprentice
Sounds good yoshii, by the way for noobes, playing Aaron and Chexr always shows me what I need to work on, if you get 4 stocked work on everything...

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
True. My "getting pwned" rate decreases at every biweekly I attend. Considering that I had just started using advanced techs a few days before the first tourney, I'd say I'm improving quite well. My goal right now is to get a top 10 tourney finish. :)

ChopTheRed

Smash Apprentice
This is the way its always been. You are going to have to face Aaron and Chexr at some point, whether you make it to second, third, round, etc... is up to you. The bottom ranked players will improve when they play people like Aaron and Chexr. You just have to deal with losing over and over again, and in that you will eventually become better. You really have to play for more then 2-3 hours against someone good to really get what im saying. (Im not picking out anyone or directing my comments to anyone when I say this) When I first started playing smash it was a very SLOW process, and I felt the same way you felt. Im lucky to have had the opportunity to face a "former best in WI" Teflon, to really get good. It helps to play every single day too. No matter how bad you get beat, you have to keep playing.

I just hate to hear people crying about never getting better, when they haven't put the full time in it takes to get better.
I want to play Aaron/Chexr, dont get me wrong. I agree that you improve if you play someone better.

Just nevermind anymore.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
say bluewolf was bottom seed, and aaron was top seed, they'd play eachother and hypothetically we'll say bluewolf loses... he'd still probably make it all the way through the loser's bracket and get in the top several places... because he's good. people will place about where they should be, but seeding makes things more accurate in a general sense, ignoring individual situations...

Uno

Smash Journeyman
Right now i feel i get better playing people worse than me, i get the chance to take a step back and actually think more about the strategy. playing anyone of the top guns i usually panic and pretty much rely on my technicals. A good example is the crew match between me and greenbunny.

i dont know, i took a wierd path, learning pretty much all the technicals before i even considered going to a tourney while most people do it the other way. I'm not sure if its working out in my favor yet.

forgot to comment on the MLG videos....
the only way to get them legally is to buy the VoD as far as i know. But every once in a while they show one of the final games for free.

also forgot to ask, anyone watch the MLG tv show? its pretty good... no smash, though they show pictures of chu, pc, and ken alot.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
hey yoshii feel like taking a step up from our one dollar mm and making it 5$ best 2 of 3? its up to you to decide =) depends on how confident you feel about playing my ylink.

I remember when one time at river falls I had to play Teflon my first round and I was like wtf?

anyways I too wanna confirm money matches
yoshii vs yl $1or $5?
james sparrow vs falcon and yl $1 each
Mastr- $1 vs Falcon
anyone else? keep in mind ill play any character but bowser or mewtwo.

Eci4

Smash Ace
Oh, everyone who has a MM with me, Im not even kidding, I probably wont remember, I'll have the money, but you will need to find me and alert me that you are ready for it or whatever...

right now I have 3 I can think of

James sparrow $1
Ulti $1 -his gannon my jigglypuff
DD $1 -my ness his something

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
Hey once again everyone...

It looks like I will not be showing up to this tournament because of some [again] un-planned schedule changes due to hockey...

Ulti: Looks like our 1$ MM Marth ditto will have to hold off until next time...

JS: Maybe I could come over next weekend or sometime soon when we are both free to practice?

MomD: ugh... until next time.... lol.

Everyone else: Good luck and have fun!:psycho:

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
anyone else? keep in mind ill play any character but bowser or mewtwo.
$1 Bowser ditto? jk

But seriously, Aaron how about a $1 Game & Watch ditto? :chuckle:

And another update on the teams situation: I only have $16 and I won't be getting anymore money until the Monday after the tourney. Therefore I can't afford to enter with a CPU partner ($10). I can only afford singles ($10), teams with a human ($5), and a $1 money match.

GreenBunny9999

Smash Apprentice
I'll go for 1$ against Aaron and uno fox ditto 1$? JS 1$
I didn't do very many MM's at HJ4 so anyone else? somene should IC ditto BlueWolf he hates those HaHa.

Top Bottom