• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

edub

Smash Apprentice
man i wish i was in STL :( i wanna play darkatma too!!1

(the only reason i know of you is because i was a peach main and you posted a good amount on peach forums)

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Hey Geno I can come over to your house tonight.

I take it your basement is fixed?

darkatma

Smash Hero
Aww i forgot to write everyone's phone numbers
okay gotta sleep, waking up at 3:30.. freaking airplane
Contact me at 510-493-0926 :p See you guys either tmrw or friday i guess :O
oh yea my actual name* is Binyan.

*=edit

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm in the Village (4060); if anyone wants to play this weekend, I will be here until 5 pm.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Brawlpro, it's the end of the week and I don't see those videos you promised.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Darktama wanna play today?
grr you should've called me!
I ended up not playing at all yesterday though, had so much other stuff
To the people I did play, thanks for having me over/playing me, that was pretty cool.
That means..
Andy George? Kyle and Geno

Melee> Brawl, but my tech skill is dead =[

Still, wow this weekend was so much fun.

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
Brawlpro, it's the end of the week and I don't see those videos you promised.
Son, I don't have them, bhlmro does, I promised them because....he said he'll have them recorded and put on the computer by the end of the week, I was gonna help him upload stuff so it gets done faster, but he hasn't been online lately..plus I've been to busy getting ***** on wifi. But I did get two videos of deku going psycho on me right here:

**** on my fox : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVNuIZms1U <-- I'm fox so you guys know what that means.....AMAZING SD'Z!

**** on my marth : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeS8bLzcvic

Oh and darktama hopefully you attend washu so we can play, I think melee>brawl too.

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
HEY EVERYONE
I was just reading a post made by gimpyfish about sakurai trying intentionally to kill the competitive scene with Brawl. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158790

In it he explains as you probably already know, that Sakurai didn't want ranking and adv. techs because it discourages noobs. When i see this thread, most of you are anti-brawl for this reason and continue to play Melee. I'm not saying stop playing Melee, I'm saying play the **** out of brawl and go to tournaments and have huge smashfests and do everything with brawl you intended to do before its release just to stick it to the man. If in spite of all his efforts we make Brawl just as competative if not more so than Melee, it'll be like a slap in the face, and I think he deserves one

That being said, Who's brawling this weekend? xD

Book!

Smash Journeyman
When we play these days, it's almost always Melee. We tried our hardest to get into Brawl but it just feels slow and repetitive by comparison. It doesn't really bother me, as I've only been playing Melee for about a year anyways. I can imagine that 7 year veterans of the game would be more eager to jump to Brawl, but we're still having a blast with it so there's no pressure to switch.

That said, I doubt I'll be playing much of either in the next few weeks. The end of the semester is a grind. :urg:

TTT

Smash Journeyman
GRINDAN at the end of the semester....wooo regardless, just got done with some big tests so who's down for some IRL brawlan all this lag is bringin down my game.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
HEY EVERYONE
I was just reading a post made by gimpyfish about sakurai trying intentionally to kill the competitive scene with Brawl. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158790

In it he explains as you probably already know, that Sakurai didn't want ranking and adv. techs because it discourages noobs. When i see this thread, most of you are anti-brawl for this reason and continue to play Melee. I'm not saying stop playing Melee, I'm saying play the **** out of brawl and go to tournaments and have huge smashfests and do everything with brawl you intended to do before its release just to stick it to the man. If in spite of all his efforts we make Brawl just as competative if not more so than Melee, it'll be like a slap in the face, and I think he deserves one
1. This has been covered in this thread and beaten to death. If you or anyone else replies to this post, do not expect a response.

2. Reading that interview and saying Sakurai is against competition is like watching An Inconvenient Truth and saying Al Gore doesn't believe in global warming. It's so wrong, it's so backwards, it's so outright laughable that I don't know what to say.

3. Hatred towards Sakurai literally makes my blood boil; this is literally the first thing (not you particularly, the entire issue) that has ever made me angry about something I read over the internet. If you literally hate Sakurai, then don't play Smash. That's not rhetoric or me trying to sound clever, I'm saying that I literally think you should stop playing both Melee and Brawl.

Let me share some of Sakurai's comments from the last issue of Nintendo Power: (which I randomly found this weekend somewhere)

-He purposely made Brawl slower and more aerial based. He was not because the faster speed of Melee was bad, in fact he considers the speed of Melee an intentional success. (He considers Melee the "maximum speed" of the Gamecube controller.) However, because he wanted to made Brawl a different game, so that we now have a fast game and a slow game.

-He talked about how wavedashing was in fact intentional and another good addition. He talked about how when Melee came out, everyone was at the same level and good players would learn to utilize skills like wavedashing to become much better over time. This was good. He wants Brawl to be like that; he intentionally removed wavedashing and other techniques so that everyone would be on the same level, while specifically putting in new techniques so the game will grow like Melee. ("it just made sense to take it out")

-He said they never seriously considered Ridley as a playable character and doubted he would ever work. :p

The big point is that Sarukai didn't change things because he didn't like them, but because he wanted Brawl to be a new game. A new game that is different from Melee, where everyone starts out equal and has to work to be better. (Just like Melee 7 years ago...) If you still play Melee... the man will be thrilled. He still loves the game. If you love it's sister game Brawl, and play it as competitively as Melee, he will be thrilled. That is exactly what he wants.

Sakurai does not spite anyone, and there is nothing to spite him for.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
I am very glad that the game has been enjoyed by many people. Some play seriously and others play it for fun. Then there are also those who play the home run derby mode. Different people playing it for many different reasons makes me feel good about the game.
All game designers want is for people to have fun with their creations. We are not idealistic or delusional; we have simple goals even if the means are sometimes complex. People playing and enjoying the game is all that is desired, no matter who or how.

edub

Smash Apprentice
brawl makes my head hurt after i play it for extensive periods of time
it's just annoying that nobody dies until like 150%+
it's annoying that there are no gimps

i've realized that pretty much every character has peach's float canceling from melee
just fast fall aerials and you have no lag (depending on the aerial of course)

i enjoy the game. i think it is tournament worthy. i think there is lots of skill involved.
i like the fact that (so far at least) it seems every character is tournament viable. more specifically, the characters don't have a huge gap in terms of tiers compared to melee.

i've got to agree with you STL folks now and say that melee should still be the main tourney event. i think there should be brawl side tournaments. I will participate in brawl tournaments, but I just can't play it as long, and enjoy it as long.

However for teams i would say that brawl is definately viable to take over melee teams as the main teams event. i like the team work involved in brawl more than i do in melee. probably because the game is slower so i can understand what is going on a lot better in brawl, and it just seems less hectic.

but yeah those are my 2 cents so far about brawl/melee

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
brawl makes my head hurt after i play it for extensive periods of time
it's just annoying that nobody dies until like 150%+
it's annoying that there are no gimps

i've realized that pretty much every character has peach's float canceling from melee
just fast fall aerials and you have no lag (depending on the aerial of course)

i enjoy the game. i think it is tournament worthy. i think there is lots of skill involved.
i like the fact that (so far at least) it seems every character is tournament viable. more specifically, the characters don't have a huge gap in terms of tiers compared to melee.

i've got to agree with you STL folks now and say that melee should still be the main tourney event. i think there should be brawl side tournaments. I will participate in brawl tournaments, but I just can't play it as long, and enjoy it as long.

However for teams i would say that brawl is definately viable to take over melee teams as the main teams event. i like the team work involved in brawl more than i do in melee. probably because the game is slower so i can understand what is going on a lot better in brawl, and it just seems less hectic.

but yeah those are my 2 cents so far about brawl/melee
Translations:

I just played melee for the first time. It's annoying that throws don't kill and players just fall like bricks everywhere. I think we should stick to Smash 64 tournaments so we all can get better at a game that will be gone in a year.

Top Bottom