• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ssbm Tourney In San Jose

Ninja Monkey

Smash Rookie
WHAT: SuperSmashBrothersMelee Tournament # 2
WHERE: Play N Trade, 125 Bernal Road, (408)281-8711
Registration Ends: August 11th
Expected Day: August 12th
Time: UPDATED 1PM - 6PM

Entrance Fee - $10 (Register “at” store)
Prizes – Top 3 players will be added to store tournament photo album
1st – 70 store credit 2nd – 30 store credit 3rd - 10. (still being negotiated)

Spots Available – 32. Tell your friends! We need a nice # of entrants for brackets

Rules
- Bring your own controller
- Players seeded(One of you guys will help with this)
- Double Elimination
- Losers of Semi-Finals will face each other for 3rd place.
- All characters allowed, can switch for each round.
- Each round will be 4 stock, 8 minutes each. Winner is best out 3
- Semi/Finals is best out of 5
- Stages: On random
Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Fountain of dreams, pokemon stadium, Yoshi's Story
You are allowed 1 reset, and can counter-pick any of the other 6 stages that you have not won on
- Items off
- Standard Controllers ONLY
- All advanced techniques allowed, wavedashing, etc.
Errors
- If in case of equipment malfunction, match is reset to an agreed upon position/state by both players
- Exploitation of glitches is strictly prohibited and results in immediate forfeit
- Excessive stalling of match until time runs out is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate forfeit
- Poor sportsmanship, complaining, whinning, nagging, or disrupting/distracting a match will result in immediate forfeit.

Brackets will made with NealDT's tourny program, and players seeded with help of one you guys to ensure we give byes the correct people. I'll get back to this later, as we might be able to get this done a day or so before the tourny here on the boards.
- USE COMMON SENSE

RULES SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME

To Register From Smash Boards
PM UnsoundOfMind if you want to register from the smashboards. I need your name + alias.

Ninja Monkey

Smash Rookie
lol I'm gonna go here and own up some n00bs.

If Lunin goes then I'm screwed lol.

EDIT: Do you have a website? Or perhaps an AREA CODE?

last tourney here i heard was filled with a majority of noobies, the reason why I'm posting this here to get some pros in!!!

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
LOL wtf uhh I can give you the typical rules for a tournament if you'd like haha. Regardless I'll more than likely make it to this XD

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
^ Its further down south. Not in Downtown. ^

Last time something like this happened, the pros scared everyone off and it turned out to be a 4 man tourney. I'm going to have to sandbag when I kill that lvl1 mario. LOL.... lvl1 mario....whoever heard of such a thing.

Ninja Monkey

Smash Rookie
give the man a break, hes only trying to make money off you guys for his store. didnt know smash players could be such *****...

the mario rule has been scraped, it was a dumb idea.

The Game II

Smash Champion
If this is a nationwide PlayNTrade ruleset, let me get in touch with someone who can alter the ruleset to a more common format.

I knew this tourney was coming, was surprised it was very soon.

--GCII

Ninja Monkey

Smash Rookie
If this is a nationwide PlayNTrade ruleset, let me get in touch with someone who can alter the ruleset to a more common format.

I knew this tourney was coming, was surprised it was very soon.

--GCII

no its not. My friend owns this particular PlayNTrade store and he has just began making Halo 2 and SSBM tourneys to get the store some cash since its been pretty slow and it just opened.

Now, the reason why you guys are laughing and making fun of the rules are because the person who made them doesn't play smash as religiously as we do, so please give him a break, we don't know the rules entirely and these rules seem to be fair. Yes, he could've just looked here for the official rules for a typical SSBM tourney but whatever, he didn't really think about it and he didn't know where to find them, remember, he is a smash noobie.

He realized the level 1 Mario thing for seeding was dumb, so seeding will just be random now, just to save time, even though the best players could go against each other in the first round - oh well.

We can still change the rules to the ""correct"" way, so please go ahead and post them in this thread so I can show him.

So far some of the responses sound albeit snobbish and mean, which is understandable, many smash players believe they are the best. BUT BE WARNED, this is not a tourney like FC or MLG or anything, this is a little store tourney, THERE WILL BE LITTLE KIDS, not a lot, but they will be there! This is a warning - you will probably face little kids, and they will cry or be close to crying. I heard the last tourney there were some little kids close to crying. So yeah, please be friendly and not a *****.

READ THE POST ENTITLED "POKEMON" and the very bottom post on the website after this sentence to get inspiration to have a kind heart when dealing with the little kiddies if you need! I found it to be a pretty heart warming story. awwwwww :):)
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2007/07/23#1185177840

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Rules
- Players seeded (If I show up, I would be able to help with seeding)
- Double Elimination
- Stages: On random Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64 counterpick: fountain of dreams, battlefield, pokemon stadium.
- Items off
Errors
- If in case of equipment malfunction, match is reset to an agreed upon position/state by both players
- Exploitation of glitches is strictly prohibited and results in immediate forfeit
- Excessive stalling of match until time runs out is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate forfeit
- Poor sportsmanship, complaining, whinning, nagging, or disrupting/distracting a match will result in immediate forfeit.

Okay there's your rules that you posted, but i made some changes to them myself. That should cover everything other than Dave's stupid rule (picking the same stage twice in a row), which should also be in effect.;) Sorry if i missed anything, im feeling a little lazy XD btw just ignore some of the smashers, they wont insult or be impolite to the kids no worries haha

EDIT: Also if you have any questions feel free to pm me ;D

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
Ugh, yep, my friend Ninja Monkey pretty much nailed it right on the spot, I would of mentioned all that before but I had trouble verifying my account on these smashboards (apparently its not firefox friendly, so i wasted time wating for the f*cking email confirmation).

Anyhoo, i'm the crazy noob teenager running the tourny under the table. Its pretty hard working with the store owner, especially with the prizes and time spots, but I try to do what I can. I'm just doing this for fun and to help a friend, i'm not getting paid. Any suggestions at all on setting the rules and such for the tourny are very much appreciated and will be taken into account, as I don't know what type of rules or stages are used for high-level smashing.

Reading some of the earlier behavior, please do not act like *******s when in the store. Yes indeed, there may be little children who stand absolutely no chance (at least they inflate the pot heh) but try not make anyone cry? After the outcome of the previous no0b tournament which my friend won, i'm not sure if he's on these boards, he's friends with me and ninja monkey, there were indeed a few instances of near teardrops, and thats just messed up to make kids cry. I doubt we'll get as many children this time around though after their experience.

If you want to know where that mario thing came from, i vaguely remember something about it from this tech museum tournament that was held in down town san jose, well, blah, whatever, never mind.

But yes, please post suggestions and revisions to make it more akin to actual smash tournys.
And if you will be attending, I trust you guys will actually show up with your smashing enthusiasm, so you don't have to register "at" the store ahead of time, just give the place a call ahead of time so we can reserve you a spot. (408.281.8711)
If you call in and don't show up, it's going to hurt our brackets, and makes things all messy -_-. A nice even 32 is what we're aiming for. With 6 stations, the tourny shouldn't take toooo long.

I'll be periodically checking back here for suggestions and updates, its better if i talk to you guys directly rather than through a friend, so keep them coming.

Thanks for the help

-Unsound

SuperRad

Smash Master
first off, i'd like to say that i've never met a smasher who was a true and pure ******* in real life. sometimes people say **** that's mean, but even then it's good intentioned.

about kids crying: see above. although anyone who was at MLG Anaheim would agree that letting SilentSpectre play against little kids is a bad idea. :laugh:
sorry, but yeah. i can't picture any of the tournament regulars making kids cry. except maybe nintendoking.

about rules: btzo runs the brackets for the NorCal Biweeklies (biggest tournaments in northern california), and he knows his stuff. [except i'd disagree about using 0C3 rules. they are simpler though, so I wouldn't mind for this type of thing. I just like the broader stage selection.]

about seeding: you can do random seeding, but it's best to seed pros to keep your bracket as fair as possible. again, shadowbtzo knows what's up and will be able to do seed for you. if he doesn't come, most people that have been in the tournament scene for a while will be able to do it for you. don't be afraid to ask people for help or ideas for seeding.

yeah this is probably gonna be to hard to get to for me to go to.
but who knows, things could change.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
BTZO, you noob, you got Dave's Stupid Rule wrong. It's not picking the same stage twice in a row, it's that you're not allowed to pick the last stage that you won on.

Also, I would go to this...but I think I'm going to a Scrabble tournament on this day, haha...

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Wow, this isn't getting very friendly responses... I'd suggest letting Pokemon Stadium and DL64 be available stages. Both are better stages than Battlefield (in my opinion)

malva00

Smash Master
i called and some old woman picked up and she was like ok u can sign up at the store

i dun trust her so what time should i call?

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
Yeah, the store is run by an old asian lady who is alienated from games (why she decided to open up a game shop is beyond me). She wants to save money, and therefore, she runs the store pretty much by herself without employees to pay (I think she has like one or two, but they only work a few hours a week, and I've never met them) Like NinjaMonkey said, this is just a small game store, so don't expect it to be too big or super organized. The store owner does not know how to utilize all the features Play n Trade offers, like tournament rules and how to post their tournys online at the website, and I don't "work" there, so I can't get the info and handle it myself.

Anyway, since you guys are pretty d*** far, I'll let you avoid having to drive down to pre-reg, I trust you guys will show up and pay on the day of the tourny if you call ahead of time. When possible, go to the and register if you live close enough, just keeps things more organized and finalized.

The next time you call, say that Matthew R. sent you (whos organizing this event), and for them to reserve you guys a spot. Then just give them the typical, Name, and Email Address.

If there is STILL trouble, email me at MattThePenguin@yahoo.com with your name etc, and I'll just add you to the list myself when I call my friend (son of the store owner).

The reason we do pre-reg at the store is so that people pay ahead of time and won't bail out on us.

Also does anyone have connections with the SJSU SSBM club, or any other club? Tell them about the tourny too hehe.

Right now I like ShadowBTZO's rules set
Rules
- Players seeded(If I show up, I would be able to help with seeding)
- Double Elimination
- Stages: On random Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64 counterpick: fountain of dreams, battlefield, pokemon stadium.
- Items off
Errors

The brackets will be simply made in Microsoft Excel. It'll just be a simple bracket, with boxes and lines, but if anyone has some sort of bracket of double elimination pre-made, please post hehe. On Friday Aug 10, people will then begin to be seeded, so you guys can help place people in there to ensure pros are not taking each other out from the get go.

In the event, that we do not get a nice number of entrants (not 16 or 32), any ideas on what to do from there? Last time it was a single elimation, usually what we've done is a round robin, the remaining odd number of people, whether 3, 5, 7, face off against one and another for 1 round. And the 1-3 people with the least amount of wins are kicked out. If you reg, please show >_<

Keep the suggestions coming! Gracias.

- Unsound

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
lol your supposed to pay right when you enter. I don't trust the "pay before tourney" method. Because what if the tourney is canceled? No money back? I don't trust that.

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
Mmm good point, I dont have the experience with the store's policy's on tournaments and procedures, as I don't work there, and the owner has no idea. The tourny won't be canceled, I can assure that. Just call ahead of time and it'll be kool too. In case we get a strange # of entrants is what im' worried about, do you guys know any ideas how to handle that type of situation?

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
why FD / BF / DL? that's kinda random lool.

i think it should be just all 6 in the random and each player is allowed one reset for the random. counterpick stages are limited to just those 6 and only if you have not won on it yet. all other stages are banned because i doubt the "newbies" will like playing against say... silentspectre on brinstar / pokefloats (if they win roflll)

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
Hmm... Alright, maybe it'll just be all 6 stages random then.

I'll think about the first-round byes... Maybe i'll just have it only for those who register from the smashboards.

Thanks Art for suggesting NealDT's tournament program, its a live saver, we'll definitely use it for all game tournaments and I'm gonna go fiddle around with it

Miharu

Smash Hero
Hmm... Alright, maybe it'll just be all 6 stages random then.

I'll think about the first-round byes... Maybe i'll just have it only for those who register from the smashboards.

Thanks Art for suggesting NealDT's tournament program, its a live saver, we'll definitely use it for all game tournaments and I'm gonna go fiddle around with it
Well, first round-byes can easily be arranged once the seeding is done; it depends on how the bracket will be done (ie. 32-man, 64-man, etc.)

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
we're aiming for a 32-man tourny
Well you dont necessarily need to have 32 ppl to have a complete bracket. In the first round you give byes to the top seeded players to compensate for missing players to complete a 32 man bracket.

Yes I did get Dave's stupid rule wrong sry, i get it confused sometimes XD hyuga's right yes yes :psycho:

As for the stages, personally i like all 6 on random, i only proposed the oc rules, but its up to you really.

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
This might actually be my first tourney. Hopefully I don't get owned too badly if a bunch of pros show up. Though is SilentSpectre shows, it'll probably be unavoidable. Anyway, I didn't see a specific start time in any of the posts, so put that up as soon as you can. Seems like a lot of fun, so hopefully I can make it.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Can someone post a specific starting time for this?

And also, there never should be a FFA. If there's an odd number of players, just arrange for the higher-seeded players to get byes (which will inevitably happen if there are fewer than 32 entrants).

Art?

Smash Journeyman
the first post is in desperate need of editing. and you don't have to worry about seedings, because as long as there's an NCB regular there (which i'm sure there will be), it won't be a problem at all.

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
Right now I like ShadowBTZO's rules set
Rules
- Players seeded(One of you guys will help with this)
- Double Elimination
- Stages: On random
Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Fountain of dreams, pokemon stadium, Yoshi's Story
You are allowed 1 reset, and can counter-pick any of the other 6 stages that you have not won on
- Items off
Errors

Brackets will made with NealDT's tourny program, and players seeded with help of one you guys to ensure we give byes the correct people. I'll get back to this later, as we might be able to get this done a day or so before the tourny here on the boards.

Not sure if there any mistakes up there, but so far thats what the rules are currently.

For the time of the tournament, we're not 100% sure on that yet, but in a few days i'll post it. It will probably be something like, 12 - 6pm.

To the question of recording matches, i'm not sure if you've seen what a Play n Trade store looks like, so here is the basic layout, with a few minor differences here and there. The stations themselves don't have much room, and i'm not sure if someone can bring a VCR, but I'll try and see if I can get a hold of one. If someone here can, that'd be kool, but we won't be held responsible for it, and I don't know which matches should be recorded, since we'll be having up to 6 matches going on at once, so more than one may be necessary.

If you will go to the tournament, just PM me with your name and alias you'll be using if you are afraid/having trouble calling to the store, the owner can be a biznatch sometimes.
The registration for everyone else besides you guys and those who you refer will have to go to the store pay in advance for a registered spot. But just PM me or call into the store saying Matthew R. sent you guys, and they should add you to the list as well, or I will myself. The tourny has a cap at 32 people, which i'm not sure if we'll be able to fill up, so spread the word por favor.

I'll try and find pics from our last no0b SSBM tourny and post em later.

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
You won't need a lot of VCRs, just enough to tape the top players, since a few might show. If we're playing on 6 TVs, it's gonna go by really fast, so put a couple aside for friendlies, and maybe even teams if you have enough time to set it up.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Before you decide on rules and all that...you might want to know exactly how much time you have to run the tourney. If you tell us then we can recommend feasible rules. 32-man double elimination takes minimum 2 hours assuming EVERYTHING goes perfect, and can take much longer depending on the number of TV's and the staff organization.

Top Bottom