• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ssbm Tourney In San Jose

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
Its going to be run by 2 people most likely, me and my friend, possibly another. After a match is done the two players have to report back to me or the one at the computer, then we'll send over another pair to start smashing. I'm also thinking of putting down duct tape to act as a kind of line spectators must be behind when a station is in use.
- We'll have at least a 5 hour time frame, and its OK if we go into over time. Pretty much the whole day is dedicated to the tourny
Our last SSBM tourny lasted 4ish hours (1-5pm), but would of been faster due to some difficulties.
- There will be 6 six stations so it should go by pretty fast. Maybe too fast. Someone suggested we only use some for tournament play and the other for friendlies. So maybe, 4 tournament matches, and 2 for warmups/friendly matches?
- Since it will go by pretty fast, and depending on the time left, I could ask permission for a second pro-tournament right after the main, provided you guys arn't burnt out from smashing.
- Do players sit in chairs when they smash? I could try and provide some chairs for the stations as well, as last time people's feet were killing them. There are no chairs at all in the store aside from a stool, and 2 chairs behind the main desk.
- Someone complained about one of our TVs (all the same make and brand) was too slow. Does the TV's refresh rate really have that big of an impact? I'm a n0ob, and i know some people take frames into a huge consideration. I can just make that TV and friendly station if thats the case.

Thoughts?

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
chairs are a must !!! (for most ppl)

just avoid having really big / HD tvs. most TVs are fine so i don't think it should be a problem.

also, will there be any vcrs / laptops? if so, can i record and upload the matches to youtube?

and alsooo, is there any chance that you can either increase the prizes or reduce the entry fee? $320 total and $100 are prizes... meh ionno x_x

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
Alright, chairs it is.

I'll see if i can arrange some VCRs, but there probably won't be any laptops. If you guys can provide them yourselves that'll be kool too. Then you guys can post em/ do whatever nya nya.

Yeah, for the prizes, I'm trying to negotiate that with the owner >_<
Originally I wanted to at least have it as
2/5 of pot for 1st
1/5 of pot for 2nd
Money back for third

But meh, you know how asians are -_-. I'll keep pushing it to see how much i can give back to the players or lower the entry fee. I want to set up routine SSBM tournys, at least bi monthly, so hopefully that may or may not convince the owner to give more back to the players.

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
At least one TV should be set up for friendlies, I think. Also, will you be providing all the cubes and controllers? I'm assuming yes, since it's a game store, but I wanted to make sure. I'll see if I can bring a laptop, but I don't know how to connect one to a TV. In any case, if you tell the owner that you're gonna have more tourneys, that's good publicity for the store, and she'll probably let you increase the pot size, and have it not be store credit :p.

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
For the GCs, the store actually only has 2 used GCs at hand.

YOU HAVE TO BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLERS! No turbo/programmable pads.
I highly recommend to not bring wavebirds, if you do, you have to coordinate yourself with others to ensure theres no overlap. Use with caution.
Store doesn't have enough controllers at hand, sorry.

Last time to fill them all up I just borrowed from my friends, so that part should be ok.

Yeah, sucks it has to be store credit, but you nailed it on the spot on what i'm going after.

Gah, I should be getting community service hours for this. I'm also applying at Gamestop haha, the forbidden word when in the store. I've heard some bad things about the store, and some of the employees are just stupid, but at least they'll give me more hours to work.

I myself do not know how to record with a laptop, nor can i provide one. If someone can bring a VCR or laptop, go for it. When I get the times ready, if your bringing one arrive like 15-30 minutes early so we can help you set it up and whatnot.

Gah, i'll get ninjamonkey to update the first post too >_<

Miharu

Smash Hero
Zhu has a connecting thing, I believe.

Most tourneys are BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller), and most people will bring cubes with them. However, it never hurts to have a few spare controllers on hand, and extra cubes are always nice.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
San Jose? My stomping grounds it seems. :grin: I've only been to one tournament before, so this will be another good experience.I haven't actually smashed for a while, but I figure it'll be fun, get owned, and gain some experience or something.:laugh: Anyway, I plugged in the adress in mapquest but it came up nil. Anyone mind posting a link or something? And one more thing, we pay at the door the day before the tourney or can we go anytime and register?

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
San Jose? My stomping grounds it seems. :grin: I've only been to one tournament before, so this will be another good experience.I haven't actually smashed for a while, but I figure it'll be fun, get owned, and gain some experience or something.:laugh: Anyway, I plugged in the adress in mapquest but it came up nil. Anyone mind posting a link or something? And one more thing, we pay at the door the day before the tourney or can we go anytime and register?
Yes, you can pay at the door. Just be sure to PM me with your name and alias desired, and I'll personally add you to the list myself.

And should I ban the wobble technique? Part of me wants too, but the iceclimbers arnt the only character with infinites

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Yes, you can pay at the door. Just be sure to PM me with your name and alias desired, and I'll personally add you to the list myself.

And should I ban the wobble technique? Part of me wants too, but the iceclimbers arnt the only character with infinites
ban it please. otherwise i'll severely abuse it on the new players and see what "johns" they come up with. jk jk xD

but seriously, if you assume that the ice climbers player is going just for grabs / wobbles then the game because a camp fest. its not like ice climbers needs wobbles, they have the best chaingrabs in the game.

ban it.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Fox doesn't "need" a bunch of the crap he has. The IC's with Wobbles aren't better than Fox, so there's no reason to ban it.

An overwhelming majority of the people in the Smash Back Room, including myself, believe the Wobbles is NOT ban-worthy.

If Zhu wants to abuse it on nubs that's his prerogative. It doesn't matter cause matches against nubs are not a good litmus for tourney rules anyway. I can just as well abuse any number of ways to rest people.

However, it's your tournament, you can run it how you like.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I'll show up and win with ease.Presuming everyone forfeits to me.Or I can most likely lose the first match...:ohwell: I say we go the first way,that way everyones happy.:lick:

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Wobbling is dumb, anything that you can do absolutely nothing about should be banned. You can at least smash DI fox's drillshine/infinite shine, where as with wobbles you have to sit and hope they mess up. Fox's infinite actually requires a little skill as well, but with the wobbles you have to tilt the control stick forward and tap a to a certain pattern...real difficult -_-

I'll agree IC's with wobbles is not better than fox, but how stupid is it to be forced to avoid grabs the whole match, and if you make 1 mistake and get grabbed, you automatically lose a stock.

SuperRad

Smash Master
Wobbling is dumb, anything that you can do absolutely nothing about should be banned. You can at least smash DI fox's drillshine/infinite shine, where as with wobbles you have to sit and hope they mess up. Fox's infinite actually requires a little skill as well, but with the wobbles you have to tilt the control stick forward and tap a to a certain pattern...real difficult -_-

I'll agree IC's with wobbles is not better than fox, but how stupid is it to be forced to avoid grabs the whole match, and if you make 1 mistake and get grabbed, you automatically lose a stock.
i dont see why the difficulty of the maneuver should matter :ohwell:

ikenmike

Smash Cadet
Yeah, sure, I guess I'll show up.
I mean, someone has to put nubs like KingJiggyWiggy and HydroKirby back in their places.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
i dont see why the difficulty of the maneuver should matter :ohwell:
Just saying that its insulting that someone who isn't even good has a decent chance of winning, where as a fox player requires technical skill to be able to do his infinite, and other than PS when it changes, he can't do it (considering that the stages are all neutrals =P)

UnsoundOfMind

Smash Rookie
Alright, I guess wobbling won't be banned nya nya

Hmm.. so far I've only gotten 3 registered at the store, 4 smashboard PM confirmations, and about 5 friends. Not even half way filled >_<

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I mean, someone has to put nubs like KingJiggyWiggy and HydroKirby back in their places.
lol. gl putting hydrokirby back in "his place" lol. hes very far from some random newb (for once this isn't sarcasm).

ikenmike, you should money match hydrokirby since you're so confident xD

D.Gray

Smash Rookie
Don't worry Unsound, I'll be there

I won the last tourney =)

TAKE THAT IKENMIKE!

Miharu

Smash Hero
Dammit, nobody ever types my name with the space >_>

Anyhow, $5 MM, best of 5, if you're so confident. Standard MLG ruleset. I use Kirby, if it matters.

Top Bottom