• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
I have looked at Sal leakers claims and due to the fact that he never mentioned Rosalina & Luma, this leads mean to only one of two things:
1. He got REALLY lucky…or
2. He doesn’t know about all the newcomers

Personally, I’m leaning towards #2. Now I believe he said there are 4 cuts from the Brawl roster and I’ve noticed that a lot of you are considering “Ivysaur” and “Squirtle” as 2 but I view them as 1 under the umbrella of “Pokemon Trainer” so that would leave 3 more cuts. So now we all need to be honest with ourselves and use some logic for who “should” be cut. The only characters that really fit that are “clones” and characters who could be replaced by another from their respected franchises which gives us:
· Lucas
· Falco
· Wolf
· Ganondorf
· Ike
· Snake (who could be replaced by Pacman)

Does Earthbound/Mother deserve 2 reps? NO. Does StarFox deserve 3 reps? NO. Does Fire Emblem deserve 3 rep? I can say YES, however with Brawl introducing more clone characters it seemed rather silly to replace Roy with Ike instead of just making it 3 FE reps which is why I think Ike MIGHT be cut to add Chrom (though I want Tiki or Tharja but that is a different discussion).

Now yes Toon Link is in the game as a “clone” but that’s out of respect for Wind Waker being so popular. The other clones, except for Ganondorf, don’t have relevancy to stand on. Now they could get greatly altered movesets. I haven’t played a lot of Earthbound so I can’t think of anything for Lucas. Falco being an anthropomorphic bird opens the door for other possible moves to differentiate him from Fox but with wolves and foxes being very similar animals, making a new moveset for Wolf would be a bit tougher…OR…could both Falco and Wolf get cut to add Krystal who would easily have a different moveset from Fox based off of StarFox Adventures?

So I would have to think that the 4 cuts are: Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur & Squirtle), Lucas, Wolf and Snake (it pains me to see Snake go).

Also, I highly doubt Pokemon will have 6 reps! And yeah I know some people are gonna say, “but Brawl had 6 dude, Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle!” Yeah you’re right however 3 of those 6 were all contained in ONE slot! No more transforming characters! And right now Mario franchise has 5 reps if you don’t count Yoshi and the soon to come Wario and you better believe that unless another Mario rep is coming than Pokemon will NOT have more than 5 reps and I’m 90% sure it’s gonna be Jigglepuff not Mewtwo.

Now I hate to sound like a broken record for possible newcomers but by using some logic here I could say that these characters still have a slight chance of getting in:

· Krystal (I already mentioned)
· Issac (Heavily requested and not appearing with the other Assist Trophies)
· Lip (One of Sakurai’s favorite games)
· Takamaru (Heavily requested in Japan)
You say that star fox is not relevant even though Star Fox 64 3D came out. Also you say not to add 3 star fox reps yet you add Krystal..... ok. I'll fix it.

So I would have to think that the 5 cuts are: Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur & Squirtle), Lucas, Ike (He is not relevant anymore), ROB (Ehhh, maybe) and Snake (it pains me to see Snake go)

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why Pokemon can't have 6 reps, especially when Mario and Zelda also have characters that could be added to even it out.

Where did this idea come from that series have these arbitrary limits that can be predicted indefinitely? Sakurai is going to add who he wants, and your "limits" don't mean anything in the long run.

Not directed at anyone in particular, just moreso a general statement.
Why yes, Sakurai will in fact add whoever he wants to add. However he still uses a bit of logic when it comes to the number of reps certain franchises have. Now Mario is Nintendo's NUMBER 1 franchise and no game in the Smash series has had more CHARACTER SLOT reps then Mario. Right now Mario Franchise has 5 reps! Pokemon and Zelda are the only 2 franchises that deserve an EQUAL amount of reps because if they have more than Mario then that would be like Nintendo saying they are more important and Nintendo will never do that! So unless there is another Mario rep coming...then Pokemon will only have 5 reps!

Now lets say the game comes out and Pokemon does in fact have 6 reps while Mario only has 5. Well...then I'd just have to sing your name from the roof tops as your logic would have clearly bested my own.

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
You say that star fox is not relevant even though Star Fox 64 3D came out. Also you say not to add 3 star fox reps yet you add Krystal..... ok. I'll fix it.

So I would have to think that the 5 cuts are: Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur & Squirtle), Lucas, Ike (He is not relevant anymore), ROB (Ehhh, maybe) and Snake (it pains me to see Snake go)
Clearly you didn't read what I wrote or you just didn't understand it. I said Krystal gets in if they cut BOTH Falco and Wolf. Also, StarFox 64 is a remake of an old game and didn't even sell well. It might have been different if it was actually something new. Also, why would they cut ROB when Sakurai is paying homage to that part of Nintendo's history?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Why yes, Sakurai will in fact add whoever he wants to add. However he still uses a bit of logic when it comes to the number of reps certain franchises have. Now Mario is Nintendo's NUMBER 1 franchise and no game in the Smash series has had more CHARACTER SLOT reps then Mario. Right now Mario Franchise has 5 reps! Pokemon and Zelda are the only 2 franchises that deserve an EQUAL amount of reps because if they have more than Mario then that would be like Nintendo saying they are more important and Nintendo will never do that! So unless there is another Mario rep coming...then Pokemon will only have 5 reps!

Now lets say the game comes out and Pokemon does in fact have 6 reps while Mario only has 5. Well...then I'd just have to sing your name from the roof tops as your logic would have clearly bested mine own.
Pokemon had 6 in Brawl. Sakurai himself says that Brawl's roster is 39, which means Pokemon has Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle.

If Mewtwo had made it, Pokemon would've had 7 reps to Mario's 4, and 5 slots to Mario's 4.

Therefore, what you just said is unimportant to Sakurai.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
So, when will the TC update the OP? What leaks have been debunked by the Direct? Clearly the Betternet leak is phony

Also, those saying Fire Emblem deserves three representatives are deluded. Two at most, it's not as strong an IP as internet dwellers like to believe. Star Fox is an historically stronger IP

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon had 6 in Brawl. Sakurai himself says that Brawl's roster is 39, which means Pokemon has Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle.

If Mewtwo had made it, Pokemon would've had 7 reps to Mario's 4, and 5 slots to Mario's 4.

Therefore, what you just said is unimportant to Sakurai.
Okay, First I have to go so I won't be able to counter your next argument anytime soon!

Next, my argument was CHARCTER SLOTS! There must have been a reason why Sakurai put 3 characters together in ONE slot so it didn't look like to many. You also say that Mewtwo was supposed to be in Brawl which would have made it 7 reps and 5 slots, but did you ever think that maybe Mewtwo was cut from Brawl because it would have been more slots then Mario's franchise??? Think about that!

Finally, we're of topic so I'm sure this argument will get shutdown soon.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This. The word "deserve" should not belong in anyone's vocabulary when it comes to character speculation or leak credibility. It means nothing.
Its kinda hard to say that when this is a nintendo fighting game featuring nintendo's All Star's.

I guess Greninja pissed on that already.....
How do people feel about his inclusion in general?

Deserving?

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Okay, First I have to go so I won't be able to counter your next argument anytime soon!

Next, my argument was CHARCTER SLOTS! There must have been a reason why Sakurai put 3 characters together in ONE slot so it didn't look like to many. You also say that Mewtwo was supposed to be in Brawl which would have made it 7 reps and 5 slots, but did you ever think that maybe Mewtwo was cut from Brawl because it would have been more slots then Mario's franchise??? Think about that!

Finally, we're of topic so I'm sure this argument will get shutdown soon.
Sakurai said specifically that this isn't the case. He said it was time constraints in an interview. I don't have the link, but I'm sure someone can pull it up.

The reason for putting 3 characters in one was because it was part of the Pokemon Trainer gimmick. One trainer, 3 Pokemon. Unique gameplay element, and played homage to the first ever Pokemon. No reason past this.

Also, the word "slots" is being misinterpreted. Some people mean slots as in the physical square that their face rests in on the menu select, while most are talking about "slots" in terms of playable characters just being in the game.

Its kinda hard to say that when this is a nintendo fighting game featuring nintendo's All Star's.

Deserving?
No it's not. Did R.O.B or Wolf "deserve" to be in over Ridley or K. Rool in Brawl? And did Roy and Pichu "deserve" to be in Melee over Wario and Diddy? Deserve is a word that we make up and use to justify our roster predictions and desires for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?

Deserving?
Considering Greninja is one of the most popular Kalos Pokemon, I don't think many Pokemon fans are complaining.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sakurai counts them as individuals so if we cant come to a conclusion atleast go by what he does to specualte on roster sizes and cuts.

Who elses word are you gonna take.....

No it's not. Did R.O.B or Wolf "deserve" to be in over Ridley or K. Rool in Brawl? And did Roy and Pichu "deserve" to be in Melee over Wario and Diddy? Deserve is a word that we make up and use to justify our roster predictions and desires for the most part.
R.O.B is a retro
Wolf deserved it
Clones were added as fillers to beef up the roster when there wasent enough time to add more newcomers.

He adds who he wants theres no worth of nit picking it and say K.Rool & Ridley are more deserving than Wolf and Meta Knight even though they are imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Soo... we decided that the Mario Kart guy rumor (48 characters, 4 cuts), is untrue, right? Or at the very least really questionable because he got information wrong somewhere? Can someone clarify?

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
From the things I heard so far, the gematsu leak and the direct trophies theory seem the most legit imo. That makes me believe that there not only going to be 6 Pokemon reps, but also 6 Mario reps and 6 Zelda reps!

That said, I think that everyone that has a opinion about why a series can only have 6 or 5 slots at most need to shut up about it, because it's in no way clear what Sakurai is using as a standard in this iteration of smash so discussing a leak's legitimacy over such reasons is totally irrelevant.

Last edited:

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
R.O.B is a retro
Wolf deserved it
Clones were added as fillers to beef up the roster when there wasent enough time to add more newcomers.

He adds who he wants theres no worth of nit picking it and say K.Rool & Ridley are more deserving than Wolf and Meta Knight even though they are imo.
When the roster came out, I saw FAR more people complaining about Wolf than claiming he "deserved" it. Same with R.O.B, retro or not.

Doesn't change my point that the word "deserve" is completely opinion based. Who you think is "deserving" and who I think is "deserving" could be completely different.

sorasin

Smash Apprentice
This seems like some pretty far reaching stuff, but I figured I'd post it to see what other people think. I've been seeing some people speculating about if there is some kind of reflection of a face in the Freezie in this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/22xP3tv.jpg

Personally I can kinda see a Mii's face on the top left side; it's kind of creepy. Btw this is a picture from the press release pictures.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
From the things I heard so far, the gematsu leak and the direct trophies theory seem the most legit imo. That makes me believe that there not only going to be 6 Pokemon reps, but also 6 Mario reps and 6 Zelda reps!
Wait what? I thought the trophy theory only correlated with a Fire Emblem character, a Zelda character, a Kid Icarus character and a Metroid character. Where does Mario come into play?

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
This seems like some pretty far reaching stuff, but I figured I'd post it to see what other people think. I've been seeing some people speculating about if there is some kind of reflection of a face in the Freezie in this picture:

Personally I can kinda see a Mii's face on the top left side; it's kind of creepy. Btw this is a picture from the press release pictures.
I think I can see what you're getting at, if we're talking about the same thing. The line next to the our left/Freezie's right eye being a mouth and then some squinty eyes above it, yeah?

It does look like a line from the mountain, though. ... Wait, if Freezie's see-through, then we should be seeing part of Wiley's actual castle, right?

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I think I can see what you're getting at, if we're talking about the same thing. The line next to the our left/Freezie's right eye being a mouth and then some squinty eyes above it, yeah?

It does look like a line from the mountain, though. ... Wait, if Freezie's see-through, then we should be seeing part of Wiley's actual castle, right?
I see it too. I wonder if this is what Nintendo says we've been missing....

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Wait what? I thought the trophy theory only correlated with a Fire Emblem character, a Zelda character, a Kid Icarus character and a Metroid character. Where does Mario come into play?
I'm sorry, I worded that poorly. For me it seems likely now that Zelda and Pkmn have 6 reps, so my assumption of the Mario series always having one of the biggest stake in smash make me believe there will also be 6 Mario reps. The Mario bit was only based on my assumptions, I should've clarified that. That said, I think they could always throw Yoshi next to the 5 Mario reps to make it seem like Mario has 6, I didn't try to imply Mario is gonna have a new rep for sure.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Chorus Men is pretty specific to me, makes me believe in the leak more.
Exactly. Someone mentioned that he is very vague with names sometimes. He's called Villager "Animal Crossing Guy", and Greninja was referred to as "Pkmn from X and Y". I think this guys not a gamer, not familiar with some characters, or is seeing these characters visually.

I'm kidding if you guys can't tell. :laugh:
In all seriousness, we might just be looking in to some things way too much. The hype gets to some of us.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579

It looks like either a Mii or Toon Zelda to me.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
My money is in the "Salty LeakE3", pretty interesting not my ideal outcome (still waiting for some villains to appear as playable characters), but oh well what can I do maybe wait for DLC?

So can anyone link me to the trophy theory?

.n_n.

Mdilly99

Smash Journeyman
The face on freezie looks more like a twisted pic of villagers smash artwork.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575

Why would we have a reflection of a face? That would mean that a character is on a different 3-dimensional plane as the Freezie, and Smash Brothers doesn't have that extra plane. Basically, the character's back would have to be to the gamers/TV screen in order for a face to be in the reflection.

This is starting to sound like the characters in the clouds during the SSE pictures in Brawl. Come on guys...

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Why would we have a reflection of a face? That would mean that a character is on a different 3-dimensional plane as the Freezie, and Smash Brothers doesn't have that extra plane. Basically, the character's back would have to be to the gamers/TV screen in order for a face to be in the reflection.

This is starting to sound like the characters in the clouds during the SSE pictures in Brawl. Come on guys...
This is rather visible though, and considering we've been told we're missing something reasonably believable. I agree that if it is something, however, it would have had to be included post-screenshot, down to no 3rd plane.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

That moon looks like the Dreamworks logo...

OMG SHREK CONFIRMED FOR SSB4!!!

But seriously, I do see what they mean. Have we found anything else, since even Nintendo is saying there's hidden stuff in the direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom