• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
I actually think that Chrom and Shulk stand a pretty decent chance. We already have 3 newcomers from the Modern era (Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja). There's already a boatload of Classic characters, so their addition would come as no surprise.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
There are plenty of choices from Nintendo's rich history to pick. Takamaru is just the guy Smashboards has decided to latch on to. He's no more likely than any of the other choices.
If you haven't noticed that Takamaru has been getting a ****load of attention lately,
especially compared to characters like Duck Hunt Dog and Balloon Fighter, then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
If you haven't noticed that Takamaru has been getting a ****load of attention lately,
especially compared to characters like Duck Hunt Dog and Balloon Fighter, then I don't know what to tell you.
Have they really though?
Or does it just feel like that because we are so immersed in this game?

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
My goodness just rename the thread to Rumors/Leaks/Future Character Discussion then we wouldn't need to tell people 1000 times to talk about it elsewhere. C'mon mods do something cool for a change!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Warning Received
First of all, I don't think there necessarily has to be a "retro" character. As I've said before, the Ice Climbers are really the only smash characters that fit in this mold. ROB and Game and Watch are important to Nintendo's history; Pit had two games and years of demand for a sequel. It's pretty obvious at this point that Sakurai's choices are based on what he feels like is best, not on whatever rules the fans construct for him. And even if there is going to be a retro character, he's hardly the only possible one.
Meanwhile, I am waiting to see this in Smash...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My goodness just rename the thread to Rumors/Leaks/Future Character Discussion then we wouldn't need to tell people 1000 times to talk about it elsewhere. C'mon mods do something cool for a change!
There are other places to discuss future characters in Super Smash Bros. You can talk about them in here if it relates to a leak(s). Otherwise, keep the character discussion limited.

We are in the process of making some changes. This thread will be dealt with soon.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I personally believe the Sal leak more than any of the others. I'm just curious whether he meant the Chorus men would be an assist trophy or if they will be a character.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Back on topic everyone.

We are resisting the urge to lock this thread, that said, there will be changes to this thread soon enough, and at the rate it's going, expect another crack down like the Character Discussion thread had for a while.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I personally believe the Sal leak more than any of the others. I'm just curious whether he meant the Chorus men would be an assist trophy or if they will be a character.
Sal's source predicted Chorus Men as a playable character. To my knowledge, the source has never predicted anything other than newcomers.

This story just broke:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/226269-at-least-30-characters-confirmed-for-mario-kart-8

How many characters did the Mario Kart rumor claim? I'm only bringing this up because people keep tying this to Gematsu's credibility.
I don't believe that the MK8 leak made any claims about the MK8 roster size.

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
There are countless of maniacs (maniac is a good thing!) scanning Smash things like this frame by frame, so I really doubt that. :/

However, Nintendo did say we 'missed' something, so it's not entirely impossible there's a hidden Chrom somewhere. Do tell if you find any.
Could someone please point me to where Nintendo said that we missed something in the Direct?

Also, if Nintendo said this, why isn't there a ton more speculation regarding possible hints towards future newcomers?

Thanks!

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
These are Nintendo's remaining IPs left yet to be represented, in order of current sales of it's most popular title.

I also listed the represented series inbetween titles so people have an idea of where everything is at....
And I did not count many old NES/GB games that didn't seem relevant, such as self-titled Sports games ('Baseball', 'Golf', 'Soccer', etc.) and a few clones and such (like 'Alleyway' a Nintendo 'Breakout' clone), simply because these have literally no room for a non-generic rep.

This leaves us with this list:

Mii games... (including Wii Sports, Wii Play, Tomodachi Life, etc). - ~82 million (Wii Sports)
--- Super Mario Bros (~40)
--- Pokemon Red/Blue/Green (~31.5)
Duck Hunt (NES) - ~28.31 m
Nintendogs (DS) - ~25 m [Confirmed AT]
--- Wii Fit (~22.7)
Brain Age (DS) - ~20 m (Brain Age: Train Your Brain)
--- Smash Bros Brawl (~12.11)
--- Animal Crossing: Wild World (~12)
--- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (~7.6)
--- Donkey Kong Country Returns (~6.14)
--- Kirby's Dream Land (~5.13)
Excitebike (NES) - ~4.16 m
--- Star Fox 64 (~4.03)
Paper Mario (Wii) - ~3.64 m (Super Paper Mario, listed bc Mario reps not exactly the same thing)
Rhythm Heaven (DS) - ~3.06 m
--- Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! (~3.02)
Wave Race (N64) - ~2.94 m (Wave Race 64)
--- Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (~2.86)
--- F-Zero (SNES, ~2.85)
1080: Snowboarding (N64) - ~ 2.03 m
--- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (~1.77)
Golden Sun (GBA) - ~1.76 m
--- Kid Icarus (~1.76)
Super Scope 6 (SNES) - ~1.65 m (game bundled with the 'Super Scope')
--- Pikmin (~1.63)
--- Ice Climbers (~1.5)
--- Gyromite (~1.32... ROB's game)
--- Fire Emblem: Awakening (~1.26)
--- Game & Watch Gallery 2 (~1.22)
Endless Ocean (Wii) - ~1.03 m (Not entirely sure Nintendo owns this one.)
Balloon Fight (NES) - ~0.92 m
Pilotwings (3DS) - ~0.88 m (Pilotwings Resort)
Fossil Fighters (DS) - ~0.87 m
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) - ~0.85 m
Legendary Starfy (DS) - ~0.83 m [Confirmed AT]
Clu Clu Land (NES) - ~0.82 m
--- Earthbound (SNES) - ~0.81 m
Advance Wars (GBA) - ~0.7 m
The Last Story (Wii) - ~0.59 m
Nazo no Murasame-Jou (NES) - ~0.57 m (This is the game Takamaru is from)
Eternal Darkness (GC) - ~0.44 m
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - ~0.40 m
Chibi-Robo (GC) - ~0.39 m (Newest game's sales currently not updated)
Custom Robo (N64) - ~0.39 m (but data on this is off bc there were two versions, both Japan-only)
Baten Kaitos (GC) - ~0.27 m
Magical Vacation (DS) - ~0.27 m
Wonderful 101 (WiiU) - ~0.18 m
Captain Rainbow (Wii) - ~0.01 m

Honorable mentions (aka: Unknown sales figures):
Panel De Pon
Joy Mech Fight (Sukapon)

I may have missed a few near the end because they weren't developed by Nintendo and I was not sure if Nintendo owned those IPs or not.

Note: I have removed the erroneous results that were listed from other developers/publishers that I knew were incorrect and/or not owned by Nintendo.

If anyone sees any errors or anything missing please let me know.
I thought this was quite interesting. Further proof that Duck Hunt Dog is the most worthy retro rep, and I firmly believe that he's a possibility.

It's probably nothing but I have several friends who swear up and down that Chrom was hidden in the Direct. It's probably just Marth but did anyone notice any footage that could potentially be Chrom? It's probably a wild goose chase but they don't want to believe me for whatever reason.
When I first saw Marth I thought "oh Ike's back". That's how similar they are at first glance!

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
The mario kart roster is definitely more than 30. You have the Mii, who Definetly will be placed near the bottom and not right in the middle.
It could also expand over time just like MKWs did.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I thought this was quite interesting. Further proof that Duck Hunt Dog is the most worthy retro rep, and I firmly believe that he's a possibility.

When I first saw Marth I thought "oh Ike's back". That's how similar they are at first glance!
Very interesting.... not sure who originally posted this, but those are obviously Vgchartz numbers and some are wrong. Earthbound should actually be at 950k, for example, because they did not include the North American numbers at chartz. Funny that Rhythm Heaven just edges out the original Punch-Out.

I said I was going to stay out of this thread.... yet here I am.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Very interesting.... not sure who originally posted this, but those are obviously Vgchartz numbers and some are wrong. Earthbound should actually be at 950k, for example, because they did not include the North American numbers at chartz. Funny that Rhythm Heaven just edges out the original Punch-Out.

I said I was going to stay out of this thread.... yet here I am.
It was posted on GFaqs.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The mario kart roster is definitely more than 30. You have the Mii, who Definetly will be placed near the bottom and not right in the middle.
It could also expand over time just like MKWs did.
Better be because that's a pretty crappy Mario Kart roster. Bowser's kids and Baby Versions would take up half the roster if that line up indication is any sort of truth.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Why are we talking MK on the Smash Bros. rumor thread? Is it related to a big Smash rumor??

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Why are we talking MK on the Smash Bros. rumor thread? Is it related to a big Smash rumor??
Aside from it pertaining to the leak with both Smash 4 and MK8 information, nothing. Discussing how it effects said leak is acceptable, though.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
There was a lead a while that contacted a RosalinaX on the Mario Kart Forums a while ago that also claimed to know Sm4sh info (claimed there were 48 characters and cuts, among other things). Not much really became of it in the end, since whoever it was (according to RosalinaX) piped down ever since. So in some respect, yeah, they're a little connected in that sense, but the only leads we do have from him/her about Mario Kart 8 seem either fishy or unknown until Mairo Kart 8 comes out, since some of the things he/she claimed cannot be tested until people play it. Chances are, when May 30th rolls around the bend and he/she is wrong about MK8, then there's a pretty good chance their Sm4sh claims are also faulty.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
GUYS!

I suddenly realize something how about the Sal Romano leak is legit and we only have those character but only for the 3DS and when the Wii U launches it will have three more characters as DLC? Ok, ok, I will explain myself and hope that the people understand what I´m saying lets say for example: the 3DS version launches in august ok then the Wii U version in november, that give us three months of updates for only the Wii U version about modes, levels and probably not much, I mean is not that I don´t like level updates and new ones but to be sincere I´m always waiting for characters to show up to get me hyped then with three months of nothing the hype could die a little right? Many of us probably will check the website once a week or even two weeks when the 3DS launches.

So what if in the middle of these months august, september and october, we receive three more characters and those are Mewtwo, Ridley and King K. Rool ready for the launch of Wii U and as a free DLC for the 3DS the same day? Those three characters will get the hype for the Wii U back as a launch title, the 3DS could still receive updates even after its release with images of those characters, how they look and finally still both versions will get the same number of characters at the same time without leaving none of them behind.

The media will still put attention to the game, it will get hyped with all this new content and the Smash community will be in uproar, Sakurai will troll saying something about how he could forgot such important characters and I think pretty much everyone will get a jaw open for all this awesomeness, like there is a saying "save for the last the best".

I don´t know if is something to consider, thats why we have hints with the Kremlings, the trolling of Sakurai about Ridley and the comment of Mewtwo that "We will think about it", is it me or that would be a great marketing strategy for both versions in the long term?

.n_n.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
GUYS!

I suddenly realize something how about the Sal Romano leak is legit and we only have those character but only for the 3DS and when the Wii U launches it will have three more characters as DLC? Ok, ok, I will explain myself and hope that the people understand what I´m saying lets say for example: the 3DS version launches in august ok then the Wii U version in november, that give us three months of updates for only the Wii U version about modes, levels and probably not much, I mean is not that I don´t like level updates and new ones but to be sincere I´m always waiting for characters to show up to get me hyped then with three months of nothing the hype could die a little right? Many of us probably will check the website once a week or even two weeks when the 3DS launches.

So what if in the middle of these months august, september and october, we receive three more characters and those are Mewtwo, Ridley and King K. Rool ready for the launch of Wii U and as a free DLC for the 3DS the same day? Those three characters will get the hype for the Wii U back as a launch title, the 3DS could still receive updates even after its release with images of those characters, how they look and finally still both versions will get the same number of characters at the same time without leaving none of them behind.

The media will still put attention to the game, it will get hyped with all this new content and the Smash community will be in uproar, Sakurai will troll saying something about how he could forgot such important characters and I think pretty much everyone will get a jaw open for all this awesomeness, like there is a saying "save for the last the best".

I don´t know if is something to consider, thats why we have hints with the Kremlings, the trolling of Sakurai about Ridley and the comment of Mewtwo that "We will think about it", is it me or that would be a great marketing strategy for both versions in the long term?

.n_n.
That's if Sakurai is even doing DLC. I feel by E3 we'll know if he intends to do DLC.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This story just broke:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/226269-at-least-30-characters-confirmed-for-mario-kart-8

How many characters did the Mario Kart rumor claim? I'm only bringing this up because people keep tying this to Gematsu's credibility.
No Birdo, No Diddy, No Bowser Jr. I assume those are the 3 missing. But as for Smash-

This 48 roster thing has people up in arms. That and Sal's leak are SEPARATE. People need to stop trying to combine them until we get more credibility behind the MK8 leak. Sakurai stated he wanted more retro characters, yet all we've gotten has been modern characters. I'm expecting at least one retro because of this. Now people can argue with me all they want, but Mac is doubtful for the retro because his design is taken from a 2009 game- which we all know is pretty recent. And Mega Man and Pac Man are both 3rd party, so i don't think they would count towards the retro character. People doubting Takamaru are warranted, but you can't deny he's been getting a ton of love as of late. Attempting to factor any retro rep into the 48 character roster usually results in more than 4 cuts, which the MK8 rumor states.

And i don't get why people are cut happy in the first place- Snake and Pokemon Trainer I understand for 3rd party and transformation mechanics respectively (and even then Charizard was salvaged), but characters like Ike, Lucas, ROB, and Wolf were all in Brawl for a reason. Most of those reasons are still present for this game- Ike was still the first console Fire Emblem character and gained steam for the series here (and was in 2 games, something most Lords haven't been able to pull off), Lucas still reps Mother 3, the most recent game (and presumably last game) in the Mother series, ROB still reps the hardware he was modeled after, and Wolf is still the anti-hero for Fox. I get the feeling people always scream cut because of the MK8 leak, which i hope is fake. No one wants a character they've been playing for 6 years to be gone.

Sidenote- my name irl is Sal. So it's weird when everyone talks about him XD

Shin F.

Smash Master
That's if Sakurai is even doing DLC. I feel by E3 we'll know if he intends to do DLC.
I don't think even Sakurai knows. Perhaps he's waiting to hear the feedback on the roster, like if there's a backlash then he'll announce DLC and if people are generally okay with it then he won't... That's what I would do in his position.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
It could be DLC for 3DS but for the Wii U version it will be complete full game with these three characters and maybe Sakurai will not say anything at E3 to surprise us later without us expecting something like this.
.n_n.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
GUYS!

So what if in the middle of these months august, september and october, we receive three more characters and those are Mewtwo, Ridley and King K. Rool ready for the launch of Wii U and as a free DLC for the 3DS the same day? Those three characters will get the hype for the Wii U back as a launch title, the 3DS could still receive updates even after its realize with images of those characters, how they look and finally still both versions will get the same number of characters at the same time without leaving none of them behind.

.n_n.
Interesting. I certainly wouldnt be against this if the Sal leak is indeed true. It would definitely keep some hype leading up to the release of the Wii U version as well. The only problem is some people dont do updates for their games so they may miss out. Sakurai wants to release a complete game as well, so it may be a questionable decision. However, he isnt against patches and updates, so its very possible.

Of course this is only if the Sal leak is the final roster, which we do not know for sure. There was no mention of Rosalina, so it makes me hopeful that there are other characters on the way as well, Whoever they may be.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There was a lead a while that contacted a RosalinaX on the Mario Kart Forums a while ago that also claimed to know Sm4sh info (claimed there were 48 characters and cuts, among other things). Not much really became of it in the end, since whoever it was (according to RosalinaX) piped down ever since. So in some respect, yeah, they're a little connected in that sense, but the only leads we do have from him/her about Mario Kart 8 seem either fishy or unknown until Mairo Kart 8 comes out, since some of the things he/she claimed cannot be tested until people play it. Chances are, when May 30th rolls around the bend and he/she is wrong about MK8, then there's a pretty good chance their Sm4sh claims are also faulty.
I see.. well, that makes it vitally important then!

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Interesting. I certainly wouldnt be against this if the Sal leak is indeed true. It would definitely keep some hype leading up to the release of the Wii U version as well. The only problem is some people dont do updates for their games so they may miss out. Sakurai wants to release a complete game as well, so it may be a questionable decision. However, he isnt against patches and updates, so its very possible.

Of course this is only if the Sal leak is the final roster, which we do not know for sure. There was no mention of Rosalina, so it makes me hopeful that there are other characters on the way as well, Whoever they may be.
Even if is free DLC? I mean I can see if they are against something if you need to pay but if you get them for free I don´t see where is the problem to update the game? Maybe with some new patches for balance and game bugs too?
.n_n.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I know this is not the right place to post this, but depending on how the final roster comes out by the Summer, not everyone will be satisfied with the outcome.

I do think DLC will probably be on the cards, so we'll just wait and see how things go.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Ahhh leaks :) The official sign of the hype train taking off. Of course, it's been chugging for a minute now but it's nice to sit back every once and a while and appreciate the facts that we have this game coming really soon and that we have so much material to speculate off of. Leaks add to that :)

Thank you Sal.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Even if is free DLC? I mean I can see if they are against something if you need to pay but if you get them for free I don´t see where is the problem to update the game? Maybe with some new patches for balance and game bugs too?
.n_n.
Ya I understand. Im not saying people are against it, im saying some people won't, because for whatever reason, they dont have internet set up for their systems. Theres not much that companies can do about that, so i guess it doesnt really matter in the end. But anyways, I dont see why anyone would be against free content being included later on. With that, there could be updates, patches, new features, really the skies the limit with what could be added. I have no doubts in my mind that any DLC will be added with utmost care, judging on how Nintendo has added content in the past. They dont take it lightly.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Ya I understand. Im not saying people are against it, im saying some people won't, because for whatever reason, they dont have internet set up for their systems. Theres not much that companies can do about that, so i guess it doesnt really matter in the end. But anyways, I dont see why anyone would be against free content being included later on. With that, there could be updates, patches, new features, really the skies the limit with what could be added. I have no doubts in my mind that any DLC will be added with utmost care, judging on how Nintendo has added content in the past. They dont take it lightly.
Yeah I think if DLC is handdled like this most of the people will be happy with end result, I mean for the owners of the 3DS will cost nothing to download this characters and Nintendo will see how well its received, maybe is a test for future titles? With connectivity between 3DS and Wii U.
.n_n.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom