• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, have you guys considered that maybe why some of these heavy hitters like Mewtwo, Gannondorf, K. Rool, and Ridley haven't need revealed is because they're saving them for unlockable characters?

I mean think about it. Maybe Sakurai isn't wanting the same disappointment in his fans as what happened in Brawl. Maybe he's leaving some good unlockable characters secret so people actually get even more excited after they buy the game.

Just my two cents. Also, I believe everyone, third-parties aside, on the Smash Bros. website that's revealed right now will be unlocked at the start. That's the same way they did the Brawl site. All characters revealed beforehand were the starting roster. Luigi was a hidden character, and hidden on the site.
I get this feeling too. One of Brawl's biggest weaknesses was its unlockable roster. :falcon::falco::ganondorf: :jigglypuff::luigi2::marth::gw::ness2: were from past games (roughly 60%), :lucario: was really obvious and Nintendo accidentally leaked him, :snake::sonic: were revealed before hand, :wolf::toonlink: were semi-clones, and :rob: was the only real surprise. Granted, we got :charizard::dedede::diddy::ike::ivysaur::lucas::metaknight::olimar::pit::squirtle::wario::zerosuitsamus: in the starting roster but I feel like a number of these should have been unlockable to even things out.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Outdated leaks! YEAH!
As we see here is the same "My dad works at nintendo" stuff.
000.jpg

Wow kid,you really need to let it go.
rimshot? no? okay..

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The clear response to this, of course, is that the character roster should try and please as many Smash fans as possible. Someone will always be upset that their character isn't in, but by adding in the fan favorites, the majority will hopefully remain content. And I have to disagree about the Mario and Pokemon assertion; if the roster was dictated by sales, and sales are considered interchangeable with series character popularity, then maybe, but in general, you'll have maybe one Mario or Pokemon frontrunner (Mewtwo, no real Mario frontrunner this time) who stands out as the best choice.

Also, the fallacy "Durrr, if fans got what they wanted, Shrek and Naruto would be in" implies that every fan request would simply be copy-pasted into the game, no questions asked. They'd still have to pass the sniff test for quality and common sense, but for the most part, that wouldn't be a problem for characters like Ridley, K. Rool, Takamaru, etc.
Your position is almost entirely predicated on Ridley and K. Rool, as most other Smash requests (such as Isaac or Takamaru) fall into the same level of fan requests as a Shulk or a Chrom. Chrom in particular has a large fan base outside of the online Smash community.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
By this logic, we would never have gotten Marth and Roy in Melee, and FE may well have taken years to come to the west. You can also scratch Pit, Ice Climbers, Mother reps, etc.

Smaller series deserve some love, especially when most of the large series in Smash already have multiple reps. A series designed to celebrate everything Nintendo should do just that, not only celebrate the series with the most fans.

I find it hard to believe that a majority of people will ever be happy with the final roster for any Smash game. Sakurai should pick based on his intuition of what makes a good roster, not on pure fanservice. WFT looks hilarious and fantastic and yet we would've never gotten her if Sakurai kowtowed to the fans.

History has shown that Sakurai's vision generally exceeds the fanbase's.
I don't believe there should never be any surprising characters (though I personally wouldn't mind if there weren't), just that they shouldn't be added in the stead of characters many fans want to see. Since adding all of those characters in one fell swoop isn't feasible, sequels allow for them to get in at a more gradual rate alongside a few surprises. But coming off of Melee and Brawl, most of those leftover characters are still being sidelined this time, and that's frustrating to me.

We have no idea whether Sakurai's vision exceeds the fanbase's, because the fanbase cannot be generalized to the point where we can say "This is what would happen if the fanbase was in charge." Sure, fear tactics can be used to point to a few "Shrek for Smash" requests, then back to Sakurai before declaring the latter obviously better, but they're just that...fear tactics. Not that we'll ever be able to prove it, but I bet, if a small collection of carefully-chosen Smash fans were given the reigns, they would be able to create a more acclaimed Smash game than Sakurai. For the most part, I believe Smash is successful in spite of him, rather than because of him.

Also, we need a thread for discussion of this sort. It's prevalent enough to warrant one outside of derailing the leaks thread even further, and will only get more prevalent once the roster is revealed.

Your position is almost entirely predicated on Ridley and K. Rool, as most other Smash requests (such as Isaac or Takamaru) fall into the same level of fan requests as a Shulk or a Chrom. Chrom in particular has a large fan base outside of the online Smash community.
Yes, it largely is, because those two characters are the modern equivalents of Wario/Diddy/Dedede before Brawl and Bowser/Peach before Melee. Mewtwo as well, if he's somehow not in, as well as arguably Roy.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm planning on writing a similar article myself. Glad to know I won't be the only one.

I've never been okay with Sal's leak. I always hated the Mii and, up until recently, disliked Pacman (I want him in now because his fans get so much needless sh*t). Now, these new characters plus Mewtwo are looking to be the final roster, which is absolutely horrendous. Only Mega Man and Little Mac serving as true bones to the fans (with Palutena being Sakurai's shoo-in baby and Mewtwo being a Pokemon Company request) is outright unacceptable to me.

Also, no judgment from me about you buying it second hand. If that's the message you want to send to the developers, go right on ahead. People can talk up their hard work all they want, but if they're working hard in the complete wrong direction, you have every right to make that statement.
I don't care for miis but I do support them just by adding to my roster.
I used to hate lil mac and pac but when he got revealed I love the character and I support pacman.
only problem is chorus men from sals leak for me........and PALUTENA IS NOT A SHOE IN BABY!!!!!!!!many will be happy to see her inevitable addition =D

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The clear response to this, of course, is that the character roster should try and please as many Smash fans as possible. Someone will always be upset that their character isn't in, but by adding in the fan favorites, the majority will hopefully remain content. And I have to disagree about the Mario and Pokemon assertion; if the roster was dictated by sales, and sales are considered interchangeable with series character popularity, then maybe, but in general, you'll have maybe one Mario or Pokemon frontrunner (Mewtwo, no real Mario frontrunner this time) who stands out as the best choice.

Also, the fallacy "Durrr, if fans got what they wanted, Shrek and Naruto would be in" implies that every fan request would simply be copy-pasted into the game, no questions asked. They'd still have to pass the sniff test for quality and common sense, but for the most part, that wouldn't be a problem for characters like Ridley, K. Rool, Takamaru, etc.
I think that what Sakurai is trying to do is to attract fans of other franchises to Smash... not retain Smash fans... because those fans will come back for Smash anyway.

Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are relatively new franchises but they have a huge following... as indicated by really good sales numbers... and by adding Villager and Wii Fit Trainer to Smash... fans of those two franchises would be drawn to Smash. As for Rosalina and Greninja... I think that Sakurai is trying to attract younger fans of recent Mario and Pokemon games to Smash with these newcomers...

Sakurai is not that stupid as to listen to the Miiverse morons who clamor for Shrek, Goku, Powerpuff Girls, etc. He probably consults with different Nintendo executives and developers to determine which characters are currently popular among each franchise's respective fanbase... determine which franchises are currently popular or has the potential for a revival... then he decides which of those characters might be unique.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

With both the Gematsu leak and the MK8 leak, this could very well be the final roster. Plus with the Kremlings, it might be eluding to K. Rool being in as well. Or maybe Sakurai just picked them cause they're nice enemies to use. Either way, we'll have to wait and see. Also Mii's probably wouldn't take up a slot as they probably would be completely customizable or something to that effect so this roster would only be 48 characters.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't care for miis but I do support them just by adding to my roster.
I used to hate lil mac and pac but when he got revealed I love the character and I support pacman.
only problem is chorus men from sals leak for me........and PALUTENA IS NOT A SHOE IN BABY!!!!!!!!many will be happy to see her inevitable addition =D
Not Sakurai's shoo-in baby? You think she or any other Uprising character would have even half of their modern followings if there weren't expectation for them based on Sakurai developing that game? Look at the absolute flood of new Kid Icarus items...he's absolutely packing the game with his personal content, and Palutena will inevitably be part of that.

I think that what Sakurai is trying to do is to attract fans of other franchises to Smash... not retain Smash fans... because those fans will come back for Smash anyway.

Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are relatively new franchises but they have a huge following... as indicated by really good sales numbers... and by adding Villager and Wii Fit Trainer to Smash... fans of those two franchises would be drawn to Smash. As for Rosalina and Greninja... I think that Sakurai is trying to attract younger fans of recent Mario and Pokemon games to Smash with these newcomers...

Sakurai is not that stupid as to listen to the Miiverse morons who clamor for Shrek, Goku, Powerpuff Girls, etc. He probably consults with different Nintendo executives and developers to determine which characters are currently popular among each franchise's respective fanbase... determine which franchises are currently popular or has the potential for a revival... then he decides which of those characters might be unique.
I can understand that approach, but I don't see why it has to be either-or...add in a few of those characters, plus more than just Mega Man and Little Mac as bones to the fanbase. Direct resources away from superfluous modes if necessary, but whatever it takes to strike a reasonable middle ground, one that I don't think has been successfully achieved this time.

DeanAdamFry

Smash Supporter
NNID
DeanAdamFry
3DS FC
2423-3337-0046

With both the Gematsu leak and the MK8 leak, this could very well be the final roster. Plus with the Kremlings, it might be eluding to K. Rool being in as well. Or maybe Sakurai just picked them cause they're nice enemies to use. Either way, we'll have to wait and see. Also Mii's probably wouldn't take up a slot as they probably would be completely customizable or something to that effect so this roster would only be 48 characters.
Remove Chorus Men with Ridley and this rooster is perfect in my eyes.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I hate to be that guy, but can someone tell me what the MK8 leak is or link me to it?

:)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
MK8 leak....god damn it! Every time i remember it i get disappointed because i want to see the final Mario Kart roster.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Not Sakurai's shoo-in baby? You think she or any other Uprising character would have even half of their modern followings if there weren't expectation for them based on Sakurai developing that game? Look at the absolute flood of new Kid Icarus items...he's absolutely packing the game with his personal content, and Palutena will inevitably be part of that.
Doesn't mean there aren't genuine fans out there that would like the inclusion of Palutena.

I've seen people want Palutena due to liking the character, not so much thinking it will be unavoidable due to Sakurai being the director for both Kid Icarus: Uprising and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. In fact, the latter part is actually used more so as an argument against Palutena, usually connecting it to a similar reasoning as to why Meta Knight and King Dedede were excluded for a long while, because of avoiding bias.

If you want a character that is considered a shoo-in but has incredibly lukewarm support and reception, look up Chrom.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Was on neogaf, and saw that in some cases top leakers from GAF get one batch of correct info and sometimes the next batch is wrong. Apparently this happened with PS All Stars. So there truly is a chance the Chorus Man leak is bogus. THANK GOD.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I think the Chorus Men might have been this guy (Marshal) by mistake. Which is understandable since he looks like a Chorus guy. That's only if the "leak" turns out to be real. (Doubt it)

Last edited:

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
I tried looking up MK8 leak, and this is the best I could find:

Unless you're blind, this is faker than Pamela Anderson.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I tried looking up MK8 leak, and this is the best I could find:

Unless you're blind, this is faker than Pamela Anderson.
Yeap. Fake. But how I wish that roster was somewhat true in regards to characters plus the ones we know so far (Metal Mario, Shy Guy, Lakitu).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Doesn't mean there aren't genuine fans out there that would like the inclusion of Palutena.

I've seen people want Palutena due to liking the character, not so much thinking it will be unavoidable due to Sakurai being the director for both Kid Icarus: Uprising and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. In fact, the latter part is actually used more so as an argument against Palutena, usually connecting it to a similar reasoning as to why Meta Knight and King Dedede were excluded for a long while, because of avoiding bias.

If you want a character that is considered a shoo-in but has incredibly lukewarm support and reception, look up Chrom.
Not trying to imply that Palutena's support is the product of a bandwagon, but that, in the early days, she was given a lot of attention and spotlight she wouldn't have received had anyone else but Sakurai been developing Uprising. Medusa and Magnus initially underwent this as well. I think it's fair to assert that some of her support came from that.

Sakurai was planning on adding Dedede before anyone else from LoZ but Link in 64, as well as before guys like Wario and Diddy. I don't think his claim about Meta Knight and Melee is applicable as a blanket catch-all to negate all claims of Sakurai bias, especially with what happened in Brawl and the SSE. Heck, Sakurai has even said that "if he starts to prefer a character, that character might unintentionally become stronger." That certainly wasn't applying to characters like Ganondorf, you know.

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
It clearly doesn't matter when Star Fox should really only have Fox at the rate of how dead that series is. Star Fox has so many reps out of Sakurai's love and potentially the ''FOX ONLY. NO ITEMS. FINAL DESTINATION." crap.
Well yeah Star Fox should've only had one rep. But clearly Sakurai doesn't agree.
So I don't Sakurai will agree to the ''Pokemon can never have more than Mario for reps'' point.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I think a lot of people who rant about "fan favorites" are ignoring cultural differences: i.e. how NA loves Little Mac, but Japan doesnt; or how Japan really wants shulk, but the majority of the NA fan base probably doesnt even know who that is (we're the vocal minority). Just because someone is popular in your locale doesnt mean they're popular everywhere. It's BECAUSE he's trying to cater to many different groups that some choices seem weird. I mean how many of you knew about Marth and Roy before Melee? Now they're pretty well known and appreciated.

So maybe instead of complaining about how X or Y character isn't included, just try to appreciate what we have and acknowledge that someone else does love them. I, for example, have little love for Pacman outside of Holiday specials and personally hope that if Mii's are in that they're random select (i.e Toon Link with Miiface, mii limbs), but I'd definitely at least try them and get to know they're playstyles.

That being said: any new/interesting rumors? I didnt feel like going through 20+ pages of posts...

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
About these "limits" on certain franchises...

If StarFox can have more characters than DONKEY KONG AND METROID, and end up tying with KIRBY in terms of playable characters, why can't Pokemon have one more character than Mario?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Not trying to imply that Palutena's support is the product of a bandwagon, but that, in the early days, she was given a lot of attention and spotlight she wouldn't have received had anyone else but Sakurai been developing Uprising. Medusa and Magnus initially underwent this as well. I think it's fair to assert that some of her support came from that.
If that was the case, she should of died out like Ghirahim and Victini from past lore.

It's safe to assume it's a combination of several factors, not just the one factor of just Kid Icarus: Uprising. Even without the factor of Kid Icarus: Uprising, she's still basically the franchise's answer to Zelda, more obvious in Japan. Which is emphasized by the fact that she's one of the few characters that has appeared in every game, and despite being cameo fodder still extensively appears in Super Smash Bros., even having unique distinctions like being the only ally NPC in SSE and having more trophies then Pit himself. Kid Icarus: Uprising is more so the push to bring Palutena into the spotlight by better fleshing out her personality and abilities, which has worked in the end because even after two years since Kid Icarus: Uprising she's still getting consistent support. Meanwhile, we've gotten several bandwagon characters that felt shoehorned in because they were simply appearing in whatever was new coming out, not considering other factors like whether or not the character will actually contribute anything. Hence why I still think Chrom is a really bad choice, and why again characters like Ghirahim and Victini die out.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'd hope Ghirahim makes the cut. The roster not only lacks females up until this game but villains. Medusa, Hades, King K Rool and several other villains would be great additions. It's sad that their appearances are likely limited to ATs or bosses.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
I'd hope Ghirahim makes the cut. The roster not only lacks females up until this game but villains. Medusa, Hades, King K Rool and several other villains would be great additions. It's sad that their appearances are likely limited to ATs or bosses.
King K. Rool still has a chance (especially since the Kremlings are in Smash Run), Mewtwo can still get in despite the 'Pokemon can never get more reps than Mario crap', Ridley's chances are diminishing but he still has a chance. I am still hoping for a character some people won't see coming, Black Shadow.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wait wait wait

Girahim Is male I believe (I could be wrong since I barely heard of him)

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
So Boshi would be in the same boat as Geno? Being third party?
Yeah. But they're a special kind of 3rd party. I think neither party can use those characters unless both Square and Nintendo agree.

Geno would be a cool Square character to go along with Sonic and Mega Man :p.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom