• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
The only guess that's impressive is the Wii Fit Trainer. All the rest have been guessed
This isn't even the point.

Sure there are most likely a few people out there that randomly guessed Wii Fit Trainer, but when you also factor in the extremely small chance with Villager (another very obscure choice) and Megaman (who was by no means a shoe in due to his 3rd party status), then you realize there is VERY little chance of this being a simple "lucky guess."
The Villager wasn't obscure for crap. He was one of the most guess characters for BRAWL let alone the new ones... Same with Mega Man. He was the TOP guessed 3rd party. Neither are in ANY way obscure or rare guesses but in actuality were some of the most common guesses.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
May I ask what details? :)
Sorry I cannot say due to privacy reasons, however, it's nothing that changes anything regarding the leak itself.

When I say people are wasting their time arguing this leak, they really are.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Villager wasn't obscure for crap. He was one of the most guess characters for BRAWL let alone the new ones...
Good joke. Here's my E3 prediction thread with over 600 comments and 17 pages. Have fun finding a single person predicting Villager. http://smashboards.com/threads/who-...h-4-expect-first-trailer-at-e3.330611/page-17

Same with Mega Man. He was the TOP guessed 3rd party. Neither are in ANY way obscure or rare guesses but in actuality were some of the most common guesses.
Cool. He still wasn't a shoe in to make the roster.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Sals really proven himself with Wii fit trainer and X and Y pokemon??? I wish it was a little more specific than that...

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Sorry I cannot say due to privacy reasons, however, it's nothing that changes anything regarding the leak itself.

When I say people are wasting their time arguing this leak, they really are.
Ah, sorry, didn't pay attention to where that info were.

But can I at least ask... do you mean then, that the info is most likely real? Thus, shouldn't waste time arguing? Or, can't you say that either? :)

Shroob

Sup?
I still don't completely trust him, people who'd let that stuff slip are likely to get fired
You say that, but it happens all the time. UMvsC3, MK9 and Injustice are just three of many fighting games in recent years to have their roster leaked.

Besides, Brawl leaks. It's happened before.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You say that, but it happens all the time. UMvsC3, MK9 and Injustice are just three of many fighting games in recent years to have their roster leaked.

Besides, Brawl leaks. It's happened before.
It doesn't matter, they'd still be fired for spoiling information for the fans before they're ready to release the information.

Shroob

Sup?
It doesn't matter, they'd still be fired for spoiling information for the fans before they're ready to release the information.
Well, don't believe anyone was fired for the above. Brawl leaks leaked every stage and character and we didn't hear about any firings.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Well, don't believe anyone was fired for the above. Brawl leaks leaked every stage and character and we didn't hear about any firings.
Well, the entire developemnt team dissolved and reorganized in between Brawl and Kid Icarus. We wouldn't really know if some people weren't asked to come back.

Shroob

Sup?
Then if that's the case, they don't make it public that people are getting fired, that would destroy their reputation.
Yes, but the point still stands that leaks happen. It's a part of video games nowadays. Someone involved in the game is going to somehow get information out early.

Pretty sure CAW Evolution of Gamefaqs posted artwork for Lobo in Injustice before he was even said to be DLC.

Last edited:

Latias

Smash Journeyman
From what I remember the leak was posted after WFT Megan and Villager were revealed so its probably fake.

Shroob

Sup?
From what I remember the leak was posted after WFT Megan and Villager were revealed so its probably fake.
Actually, he originally posted it on Neogaf a day before as a 'prediction'. It was only after 3/6 happened that he said he had gotten it via a source.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
The only guess that's impressive is the Wii Fit Trainer. All the rest have been guessed

The Villager wasn't obscure for crap. He was one of the most guess characters for BRAWL let alone the new ones... Same with Mega Man. He was the TOP guessed 3rd party. Neither are in ANY way obscure or rare guesses but in actuality were some of the most common guesses.
It's not so much the fact that he guessed Wii Fit Trainer, or the Villager or Mega Man, but the fact that they were all guessed together. I don't know whether or not Mega Man was the top guessed 3rd party character but realistically he was hardly a shoe-in due to his 3rd party status/treatment from Capcpom.

Not gonna say the leak is real, mind you but it's worth considering.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
But can I at least ask... do you mean then, that the info is most likely real? Thus, shouldn't waste time arguing? Or, can't you say that either? :)
I meant it in that it's a waste of time arguing because we won't be able to know if it's true or not until Direct/E3. From what has been shared in the Backroom, none of it adds any weight to either side of the argument, if anything it further perpetuates the pointlessness of arguing for/against the leak until more info is revealed by Sakurai.

If it was something major I wouldn't mention anything to the general public. :p

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
It's not so much the fact that he guessed Wii Fit Trainer, or the Villager or Mega Man, but the fact that they were all guessed together. I don't know whether or not Mega Man was the top guessed 3rd party character but realistically he was hardly a shoe-in due to his 3rd party status/treatment from Capcpom.

Not gonna say the leak is real, mind you but it's worth considering.
well well well megaman was highly requested.......very highly.......

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
And here we are back in the same circle. With people even saying "It was clearly posted after so it's obviously fake!" even though it was literally posted the day before the E3 Direct.

You won't be able to prove or disprove anything about this leak, especially not in here, so I'm going to suggest the circular discussion stops. Any and all information about the leak can be found throughout the thread anyway. This thread doesn't need posts in it. It needs discussion about leaks that merit it. Right now, everything's been discussed of any merit about Sal's leak.

The long and short of it is, some things were right. Other than that, we don't know, and these things happen.

So please stop.

Shroob

Sup?
Or, you know, he could be lying about the source.
He could be, but again, 3/6, with Wii Fit Trainer being one of them. Little Mac eventually was revealed and Pac Man and Miis are both fairly likely newcomers at this point.

If he bats 6/6 with the Wii Fit Trainer being one of them, he should buy a lottery ticket.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Good joke. Here's my E3 prediction thread with over 600 comments and 17 pages. Have fun finding a single person predicting Villager. http://smashboards.com/threads/who-...h-4-expect-first-trailer-at-e3.330611/page-17
I'm not sure that constitutes a scientific study.

I remember back then and tons of people guessed the villager. Especially when the Animal Crossing Logo was revealed and people thought logos = characters when it didn't end up being true. How you could have missed that even I don't know.

As for Mega Man... he was the second most voted 3rd party in the OFFICIAL poll that Sakurai and Nintendo put up. Just behind Sonic in fact. And Sonic MADE it so yes, a LOT of people were expecting Mega Man as a really good possibility.

But hey, stay in your hole if you want. Ignorance is bliss.

Shroob

Sup?

I remember back then and tons of people guessed the villager. Especially when the Animal Crossing Logo was revealed and people thought logos = characters when it didn't end up being true. How you could have missed that even I don't know.

As for Mega Man... he was the second most voted 3rd party in the OFFICIAL poll that Sakurai and Nintendo put up. Just behind Sonic in fact. And Sonic MADE it so yes, a LOT of people were expecting Mega Man as a really good possibility.

Back in Brawl days, people didn't want the Villager as THE AC rep, they wanted Nook primarily. I remember the tears that were shed when Nook was revealed to be in the background of Smashville like it was just yesterday.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
well well well megaman was highly requested.......very highly.......
Yes, and I was one of the people who wanted him. He's the second most highly request 3rd party rep after Sonic, but was he ever a safe choice? Maybe it's just the fact that I have no faith in Capcom but I didn't think he was likely.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

All I'm going to say is he presented evidence of no one guessing the Villager. I'd love to see evidence of the VIllager being as widely requested as you say. Particularly after Sakurai seemed to snub in pre-Brawl speculation.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I've said it once, I'll say it again.

"Mentoned as a character, period" =/= "Guessed for a reveal at E3 2013"

Using them interchangeably to muddy the waters and create the illusion of your detraction having merit is not going to fly, at least among people who know better.

Anti-Ridley TooBigots use the same technique to argue that the character will not become playable by muddying the water between "Cannot work as a character," "Should not become a character," and "Sakurai will not add this character."

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It also really doesn't help anyone's case at all who's trying to detract from the leak, that Sal received the day before E3 the exact list of three newcomers, IN ORDER (plus some who would probably be revealed later, but the most important part is the first 3.) that they would be revealed.

Also, to people thinking leaks can't have any flaws. The guy who leaked Fairy type for X&Y, down to its weaknesses, resistances, strengths and things that resist it (correctly), Sky Battles, super training, etc. also said that the Gogoats were the ONLY mode of Poke-transportation in the game, and you couldn't ride other Pokemon. In addition, he mismatched the types of Greninja and Chesnaut. I think there was another mistake somewhere. These things were false, but the leak otherwise was correct.

Sometimes these things happen. Not infrequently in fact, with leaks.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Not sure if this has been posted yet:
http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/238837431/#238837431
I'm a product tester for the new upcoming smash bros. I figured I should post here considering this place will benefit it the most. And before you ask, I applied for the position in November via LinkedIn. There are 21 other product testers with me testing both games (still, until July/august depending on when particularly they want to terminate us. I'll reveal what was available to us, I don't know anymore than this. Feel free to ignore this, but also feel free to ask questions to anything about this. I doubt you will since I will try to describe them to the most of my power

Collectible trophies:

Advance Wars Andy

King K. Rool

Toon Zelda

Captain syrup

Kumatora

Assist trophies:
Prince sable and Richard (retro sprite form, works like advance wars assist from the last game; all the do is walk by and swing their sword up an down)

Adult Isaac, literally the same move he had before but he's an adult

Tharja: long range dark magic spell. Think Zelda on steroids

Cowboy (Lucas's dad?), comes out hurling and swinging his long plank/log of wood around

Dixie Kong

Midna, fights by smashing you with her hair hand
Newcomers:
Ridley, works like toon link in being replaced in the stage. He's the tallest but also the weakest and ironically the heaviest. I was able to defeat it with just Olimar. His gimmick is aerial only attacks by launching the opponent up and combo"ing them. Besides that, he's pretty weak. I would personally say he is this games mewtwo melee. I doubt anyone will be able to dominate with him for a long time.

Ray, it's a new custom Robo design. My guess it's for a new game in the works

Chibi Robo, pretty much captain olimars successor. He uses all the types of wacky stuff you'd expect from his games. Yes, his toothbrush is in as a smash move by scrubbing the sides

Takamaru, surprise.

Black shadow, has moves that is reminiscent to wrestling. Has a problem with small characters in grabbing them. Same problem with Ganondorf. Any big heavy characters that happen to be tall have issues grabbing small characters this time around.

My unit robin, called robin. His final smash is summoning Chrom. Default white hair promo pretty boy, an alt as a girl is available

Claus as Masked man. Seems like a hybrid between metaknight, pikachu, and megaman.

Shulk from Xenoblade

Mach rider, fights with chains and pure strength; reminiscent to fist of the North Star.

Lip, has her own stage as well

We weren't allowed to see the remaining ones. This was a particular debugging build that wasn't fully complete nor had all the characters or trophies. They seem to have had trouble with these specific ones; so these are the only ones I know of

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Meh, I think all of this is just going to come to a head at E3, and the real leaker (if any at all), will be proven "He who has the weakest bladder".

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That roster's not bad. It's so much bull**** though.

I like how he applied for the job for a Japanese developed game on Linkedin, an at least Western job hunting site. At the same time, American tester positions are held by professionals on the Mario Team. (Or whatever it was called.) They don't hire temps.

But yeah, bull****. I also find the time to be suspect. Sounds like the leak was posted after Midna's trophy was shown. If it was 15:24 PST.

Going to sit here and laugh at it. Still want MU over Chrom, but either one will do. Oh well. At least he tried.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm the one actually posting evidence as opposed to spouting fallacious claims with nothing to back them up... and I'M the ignorant one?

Don't even know how to respond to this one lol.
I feel like that's the problem with the entire thread right now. The same arguments keep being presented and shot down, and yet it keeps being brought up by people who seem to have a beef with it. The same thing happened with pre-brawl leaks, particularly NyaseNya's leak, but there comes a time people where it just needs to stop.

Like I've said, this thread is about discussing leaks, not discussing leaks 1000x over.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I've said it once, I'll say it again.

"Mentoned as a character, period" =/= "Guessed for a reveal at E3 2013"

Using them interchangeably to muddy the waters and create the illusion of your detraction having merit is not going to fly, at least among people who know better.

Anti-Ridley TooBigots use the same technique to argue that the character will not become playable by muddying the water between "Cannot work as a character," "Should not become a character," and "Sakurai will not add this character."
THIS

Wish more people realized this

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I'm the one actually posting evidence as opposed to spouting fallacious claims with nothing to back them up... and I'M the ignorant one?

Don't even know how to respond to this one lol.
Ignore that guy. He keeps trying to crush everyone's wanted characters and facts while trying to get away with it. Look at the Snake and Mewtwo board to see what I mean.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911

You have a point about Mega Man, but I'm not sure why you're bringing up people's reactions during the lead-up to Brawl. If you recall, Sakurai gave an interview around release saying how he didn't think the Villager (or other AC characters) were suitable for Smash Bros. Thus why not many people guessed that they would be included in these games. Predicting Villager alongside Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man, even in the same order they would be revealed no less, is incredibly unlikely statistically.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Alright, once more over the facts and then I'm going to give up on the people who just want to be ignorant in the hopes that (insert character name here) will be a newcomer...

1. When a leaker leaks something to someone outside of the company, we have no idea how "fresh" the information is, nor do we have any clue what the state of the roster was at the time the information was delivered.

However, we DO know that there are a number of good reasons for a leaker to not leak everything they know until later. Aside from generating tension/hype, it's also a good way to protect their source on the inside.

How does that work?

-Someone inside the development team of SSB4 leaks a partial roster of newcomers to Sal back before E3 of last year. They do this with the caveat that Sal not release all of the information until the time it will be released anyway draws near.

-The leaker asks this of Sal because he or she knows that, as development time goes on, more and more people inside the company will know about the information anyway.

-At the time the information was given to Sal, the leaker could've been 1 of only 10 people to know this information, and would've been relatively easy to weed out.

-But when the information is released the day before it's announced, the entire dev team of 200+(?) people likely knows all about who the newcomers are so it's very difficult to say who leaked the information. This protects the leaker from being found out.

So when Sal got his info, he could've known about just this list of newcomers and he could've known that a Pokemon from X/Y was going to be in but the dev team had yet to decide on which. It's also extremely likely that he didn't get the FULL list of newcomers since it's highly possible that list wasn't finalized, nor was he certain when and where the known newcomers were going to be shown because that too was likely in flux. Rosalina might've been decided upon after he got the leak and, again, it's fully possible that he hasn't had ANY new information since, but has been releasing the information he DOES have over time so as not to blow the cover of his leaker.

Remember, Sal got the villager right DESPITE Sakurai saying that "Animal Crossing isn't violent enough" for Brawl. His "prediction" went DIRECTLY against what we previously knew from Sakurai's stance on AC in Brawl (and as we all know, it's possible for a game to have a stage without a playable character to go with it).

Then, he got WFT right, which, up until that point, no one even considered the WFT a candidate for a character.

To go AGAINST everything we knew about Sakurai's stance on Animal Crossing AND to pull a character like WFT out of the blue when no one considered her? Sal would have a better chance of being attacked by a shark that's being struck by lightning while it also won the lottery.

Bottom line, Sal got a leak. Will he get another one? Who knows, but he DEFINITELY received some very real information at one point and anyone who believes otherwise is ignoring the obvious facts at this point.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
As long as his new information came from the same source, which I believe it did, I'm pretty sure we have at least most of the rest of the roster.

Excellent post, @ S_B S_B

Also, I keep seeing people say an XY newcomer was fairly easy to predict. In conjunction with the timing, I'm not really seeing the evidence of that.

Can someone give me some stats? Because I'm fairly sure no one expected a rep from a game 6 months old, which Sakurai likely needed to have lots of notice of beforehand.

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
WHAT THE HELL ridley the weakest ok you lost me at that for a believable rumor

besides it claims lip is a newcomer but her lipstick is a item again so that pretty much deconfirms her
I don't believe this leak at all but Lip isn't deconfirmed because of Lip's Stick being an item. I mean, Mario and Luigi can both shoot fireballs but the Fire Flower is still an item. I know they act differently but technically they go hand and hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom