• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You just showed you were straw manning my argument at least. I KNOW where this guy came from and I don't think he qualifies as a character. Let's take that damn popularity or relevance thing out of the equation. Can the thing fight? No. Does it represent the series it comes from besides being on the box? No. Does it offer anything that can't be placed into an AT role? No. So Sakurai is telling me that Villager was originally deconfirmed for reasons that apply even more so to this character? The whole situation is a complete joke. But at this point I think I'll just take the route my friend texted me when I told him the possible news - "Whatever. It has Mega Man. That's all I care about."
I'm not trying to strawman your argument. I'm actually on your side, here: I can name a hundred characters who are more deserving of the slot.

All I'm trying to say is that Sakurai is going to put whatever the hell he wants in the game as a playable character, and no, I didn't at all mean to imply that was a GOOD thing.

Sales has nothing to do with this, Rhythm Heaven doesn't either. The facts are that Ness got in while his series was still well and alive.
You're still missing the point: even if EB64 had launched in the US, Ness wasn't going to be the star. Again, his inclusion in SSB64 had nothing to do with sales, popularity or even advertising potential, just like the inclusion of the chorus kids. He was in the game because Sakurai liked him, and the sad reality is that Sakurai chooses the roster.

We're trying to talk about rumors, leaks and plausibility, here. If you want to talk about the history of games that never made it to market, try another forum, maybe?

D

Deleted member

:mewtwomelee:"most popular character, never played as"
:jigglypuff:"fan favorite, everyone tells him to get out and never uses him."
:snake:"I love the taunt easter eggs"
:squirtle:"I just died with charizard, just let me switch."
:falco:"the only real clone that got in brawl."
:wolf:"sakurai tried to not make him a clone, he failed."
:falcon:"only used to falcon punch and make show me your move jokes"
:ivysaur:"Almost to charizard one more."
:ganondorf:"Y no u use sword"
:sonic:"You're too fast and too op!"
:warioc:"brawl games on motor cycles."
:toonlink:"Using pogo stick to your death."
:lucario:"Omg he has a round sphere like mewtwo! he has the same moves as mewtwo! you replaced him!"
:yoshi2:"Accidentally rolling off stage with egg."
:bowser2:"Suicide grab."
:dedede:"Big gay dance."
:diddy:"face molesting jockey monkey."
:dk2:"You only use him for his OOWOOOUU? taunt."
:popo:"Sexest."
:ike:"I used my recovery, and still died."
:kirby2:"Sucking in your opponents just because the hat looks nice."
:link2:"Getting sick of pogo sticking to death."
:lucas:"Better version."
:ness2:"fanboy version."
:luigi2:"The negative zone."
:mario2:"This is my first time playing."
:marth:"Close enough to roy."
:metaknight:"HEYEHEYHEYHEEYHAH."
:gw:"Jerking off in public."
:olimar:"just keep throwing pikmin at them."
:peach:"hey i just met you, and this is crazy, but i changed my texture, and now im daizy!"
:pikachu2:"*thunderbolt*"
:pit:"unlimited flying."
:pt:"your barrier between charizard."
:rob:"Retro."
:samus2:"Take your amour off already."
:sheik:"Wait that 3 painful seconds for max results."
:zelda:"Spam (????) Winds."
:zerosuitsamus:"Bewbies."
:drmario:"He just looks and is cooler."
:linkmelee:"Fire arrows."
:pichumelee:"Self destructing pikachu."
:roymelee:"The cooler version of marth that was directed by micheal bay."
My god this is one of the worst things I've read all day.

No offense.
All the offense.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
I'm not trying to strawman your argument. I'm actually on your side, here: I can name a hundred characters who are more deserving of the slot.

All I'm trying to say is that Sakurai is going to put whatever the hell he wants in the game as a playable character, and no, I didn't at all mean to imply that was a GOOD thing.

You're still missing the point: even if EB64 had launched in the US, Ness wasn't going to be the star. Again, his inclusion in SSB64 had nothing to do with sales, popularity or even advertising potential, just like the inclusion of the chorus kids. He was in the game because Sakurai liked him, and the sad reality is that Sakurai chooses the roster.

We're trying to talk about rumors, leaks and plausibility, here. If you want to talk about the history of games that never made it to market, try another forum, maybe?
Okay I get what you mean now. I agree that ultimately he can do what he wants. I just find it funny that if its a character he really wants he will move mountains to make them playable but if he has limited interest, they end up an AT or not in the game at all. Its complete BS.

So he'll preform a miracle to have this generic AT quality character playable but people like Saki remain an AT? I don't support Saki, but if I was a Saki supporter I don't think that woukd be fair. Hell even Lip. NOW I can see why people get pissed at him.

And I'm not saying RH is a bad game. I was obesessed with the Wii version but it really isn't something that should have been high enough on the roster priority list to get in. But looking at some of the characters that were undone in Brawl I guess this crap was going to happen anyway.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay guys.

This is ridiculous.

Back to on topic discussion.

Do you think "Chorus Men" really meant Marshall or the literal chorus men?

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Okay guys.

This is ridiculous.

If the leak is true I would suspect Marshall as a stand alone. A whole choir would be a lot of additional sprites. Sakurai has stated that the Ice climbers were difficult enough to put on a 3DS I cant see how a trio would make that any better.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Okay I get what you mean now. I agree that ultimately he can do what he wants. I just find it funny that if its a character he really wants he will move mountains to make them playable but if he has limited interest, they end up an AT or not in the game at all. Its complete BS.
That's why leaks for the SSB rosters are such a big deal: because we CAN'T guess them with any real degree of accuracy because Sakurai loves to throw curveballs.

Honestly, chorus kids is what makes me believe that the Sal leak is real: it's pretty much TOO "WTF?!" to be fake (unless Sal is a master troll who picked a predictable roster and one WTF character and he knew we'd react this way).

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys.

This is ridiculous.

Chorus Men. Someone earlier told me that that's the characters Japanese names, which implies that it actually is them rather than Marshal.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
As near as I can tell from the ending credits, Marshal and the chorus kids are identical. There are just 3 chorus kids and one Marshal. :\

I do expect they're replacing G&W, because A) G&W was in RH and B) how many stick figures does SSB4 need?

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Okay guys.

This is ridiculous.

I think it meant Marshall. Sakurai said that they were having difficulties with the Ice Climbers due to two characters at a time, and so having three on screen at a time seems very unlikely to happen.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I've always figured that 'Chorus Men' was a typo and it was supposed to be Chorus Man.

Then I found out about Marshall. I'd hate to see G/W get cut, though.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Idk I have such a hard time imagining chorus men in smash that I cant even think of a move set. I havent ever played rhythm heaven so maybe I just dont see it. all the darn things do is open their mouths.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I definitely think he meant all three of the Chorus Kids. Why else would he specifically say "Men"?
I do expect they're replacing G&W, because A) G&W was in RH and B) how many stick figures does SSB4 need?
That is one of the craziest suggestions I think I've heard anyone make yet for these games. There is absolutely no way that Game & Watch will ever be replaced by the Chorus Kids/Marshal.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Idk I have such a hard time imagining chorus men in smash that I cant even think of a move set. I havent ever played rhythm heaven so maybe I just dont see it. all the darn things do is open their mouths.
All Wii Fit Trainer does in her game is stand there. (From what I know at least) All Villager does is daily life routine stuff. Just saying, Sakurai can put a moveset to anything. I don't think the Chorus Men will make it in, though.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I'm pretty sure they would end up giving him an assortment of moves inspired by various Rhythm Heaven games, plus he would likely use a Wario-style bite and some auditory moves (maybe creating physical musical notes?).

On an unrelated note, I can not recommend that anyone search "marshal rhythm heaven" on Google Images. That fifth result...

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'd really hope that he doesn't have a bite attack, or at least I hope he doesn't have one like Wario and all that. It'd be neat if they pulled his moveset from the various Rhythm Heaven... minigames? Songs? Those things.

Seconding that warning, by the way.

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937
\Do you think "Chorus Men" really meant Marshall or the literal chorus men?
I don't know. I have a hard time believing they're a team character like the Ice Climbers, much less a three-character team. I have an even harder time believing they would pick one of the Choir Kids over a specifically-named character that serves as a mascot for the most recent game and looks incredibly similar. It all depends on how this leaker got their information. For "X and Y Pokémon", they're incredibly vague about the appearance of said character, implying that they might not have seen said character's model. Yet, for the Villager and the character(s) that may or may not be Marshal, we were given "Animal Crossing guy" and "Chorus men". It's just strange. I'd like to know how the leaker is getting this info, but I doubt anyone, much less Sal himself, will get that information any time soon.

I think that, if they were to appear, they would simply derive moves from all kinds of different minigames, instead of being limited to Glee Club. Maybe that would be their Final Smash? Ahh… Ahhh… AHHHH! *shockwave*

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Now, if Marshal is in, would his theme song be Night Walk?

Gosh I hope so.

I'm sincerely hoping that Sal leak is right. The more I think about Marshal in the game, the better I think he sounds. Plus Palutena and Chrom and Shulk. I think it would be a great roster, though Ridley supporters might disagree.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't know if I believe the second Sal leak. It's not unheard of for leakers to try and extend their 5 minutes of fame by posting gloried predictions after their initial info is out. I always thought that due to the nature/timing of the first leak, that someone had managed to see their e3 info and leaked it which caused Nintendo to change their announce plans (or something else changed their minds). This leak is out of the blue, features mostly characters that everyone has been assuming are in and one that's "out there". It looks like "just another leak". Especially that Greninja was announced that day, why not say "Greninja" or be descriptive if the leaker didn't know his name. The context and wording made it sound like a Kalos pokemon trainer "pokemon from x and y".

I genuinely believe the first Sal leak, this second one I don't. At least not yet, we need more to go on (I also don't believe that they'd add both Shulk AND Chrom, 2 sword using newcomers? Not likely).

------------------------------------------------

I also rewatched the direct earlier, and am further convinced that Ridley is playable after seeing the way the shadow is moving, no way is that not being controlled by a human.
And am definitely wondering if Balloon Fighter will be our Retro rep this time. He's been considered in the past and he's also got a stage this time around. They don't ordinarily put stages in for franchises that don't have playable reps (Animal Crossing on Brawl is the only exception but at the time that was a huge franchise that Sakurai didn't see a viable playable rep for).
has a known leaker except paul gale ever added characters that were not in to extend the leak life

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937
I'm sincerely hoping that Sal leak is right. The more I think about Marshal in the game, the better I think he sounds. Plus Palutena and Chrom and Shulk. I think it would be a great roster, though Ridley supporters might disagree.
I dunno. Personally, I'm a huge Metroid fanatic that wanted Ridley from day one, but I've since learned that it's probably best to give up on him. I know the folks on Smashboards have come up with plenty of possible movesets for him, but I can't say any of them look promising to me.

This updated Sal leak though… I really, really want it to be real. It's fantastic. Not only does it include almost every character I really care about, but it has a freakin' Rhythm Heaven representative as well! RHYTHM HEAVEN OF ALL THINGS! It's awfully vague at times in some difficult-to-believe ways, so there's still a lot of doubt lingering in the air. But still, it sounds just realistic enough to make me very hype for the slightest possibility that it's true.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I also love the Sal Leak. I'm watching a playthrough of Rhythm Heaven Fever and the options for a moveset are... numerous. There's around 30 games in the one game to draw a moveset from (there are other games in the series), so I think it's a lot like a Game and Watch scenario where each of the moves draws from a specific game.

If Mewtwo is in, I will have no complaints. No DKC newcomer would be unfortunate, but I'll be too busy playing as Rosalina, Palutena, Shulk, Greninja or Marshal to care.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Someone ask him about Mewtwo =/
Apparently Sal's tipper is super busy (someone mentioned it earlier in the thread in a comment about talking with Sal) and doesn't often respond to emails, if he responds at all.

Also, I'd err on the side of just being thankful he's willing to risk whatever kind of position he has to let us in on some stuff.

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937
I doubt Marshall would be 2D. That's GW's schtick
Hmm. Interesting, now that it's being brought up. I could see it going either way. The Rhythm Heaven games have typically been styled with 2D sprites, though there are a few exceptions. Also, the WarioWare games are done in a very similar style, yet Ashley is a 3D model in SSB4 (as was Wario in SSBB, obviously).

Someone ask him about Mewtwo =/
The leaker doesn't sound like the kind of person who really answers questions like that. He just leaks the information as it comes to him, and did not provide details when Sal asked him about Rosalina.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I don't mind the leak either as there's still a chance for other newcomers (as he never leaked Rosalina), and it does have a few or more of my wanted characters anyway. But I'm still cautious towards it.

I think a musical-themed character would just be used for constant sound spam in online multiplayer. They're better suited to Assist Trophydom, in my opinion; but then again, I also thought that about the Wii Fit trainers.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I kind of warmed up to the idea of a Rhythm Heaven character. The character's fighting style would be very original. And as far as popularity goes, Rhythm Heaven has more than many Western fans would think thanks to Japan, if I got my facts straight. So I'm fully prepared for the Sal leak to be true.

Shroob

Sup?
I kind of warmed up to the idea of a Rhythm Heaven character. The character's fighting style would be very original. And as far as popularity goes, Rhythm Heaven has more than many Western fans would think thanks to Japan, if I got my facts straight. So I'm fully prepared for the Sal leak to be true.
I'm pretty sure Wrestler helped a lot of Westerners learn of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom