• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
A visual mix of Sals' leaked newcomers, confirmed characters, and my veteran predictions:

View attachment 11901

As in Roster Maker, Blue=Starter and Red=Unlockable

Cut: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake.

If this were the roster, what do you like? What do you dislike (Other than no Ridley, K. Rool, or Mewtwo. I know you guys dislike it, especially Mewtwo, if they are absent)?
I would be pretty happy about that roster (aprt from marshal and lucas.........ohwell.)

though I belive there Is MORE to know.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
I consider myself a casual/hardcore (somewhere in the middle) Nintendo fan; I purchase most of the triple-a titles, I am current on most news, I own a Wii U/3DS. I have supported every one of their consoles... and I have no idea what Rhythm Heaven is.
It's a rhythm based Wario Ware game with more generic looking characters. It's done by the same people. It's a fun game, but it's really not anything Smash worthy.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
A visual mix of Sals' leaked newcomers, confirmed characters, and my veteran predictions:

View attachment 11901

If this were the roster, what do you like? What do you dislike (Other than no Ridley, K. Rool, or Mewtwo. I know you guys dislike it, especially Mewtwo, if they are absent)?
I want more than 12 newcomers. :p That's pretty much the only problem.

Melee gave us 14, Brawl 18. SSB4 is bigger and better than either of them, and should have a suitably awe-inspiring newcomer count.

Morbi

Scavenger

Sick to death of all you ****ing casuals…

No, but seriously, it's a… fairly new series. I am a little surprised you've never heard of it if you consider yourself a hardcore fan, and I'm a little saddened, too. But it's not the end of the world. It really is a very obscure, oddball kind of Japanese-y game. Picture WarioWare: the rhythm game. The first game in the series didn't even come to America because Nintendo didn't think it would sell at all, so I'm lucky that I even know what the series is.
I actually consider myself a casual fan; but I have hardcore elements (for one, I am on this forum consistently, and again, I have every Nintendo console and I have supported the major franchises for over a decade). I am casual because I don't really play anything that isn't in Smash (if you know what I mean). I haven't really tried anything that the mass audience hasn't.

Shroob

Sup?

Melee gave us 14, Brawl 18. SSB4 is bigger and better than either of them, and should have a suitably awe-inspiring newcomer count.
Wasn't it Sakurai who said to not expect a large amount of newcomers this time around?

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame that the majority of the community doesn't know this. Anytime Sakurai says he "plans the roster before game development", it's more accurate to say he "makes a list of possible contenders and lets other game companies and Nintendo staff change it as he goes along".

It's well known Sonic began development Summer before Brawl released, and the Melee clones were added near the end, but less known that Sakurai lets each respective game company keep influence over who is included. The Fire Emblem and Pokemon Company are known to select their characters. It's said Sakurai initially chose Eliwood for Melee, but after meeting with the company he went with Roy.
Sooo... You realize that Eliwood was a dying old man in FE6 yes? FE6 was not even released before Melee and Eliwood was not playable until FE7 released after Melee?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

We never know, there could be some he doesn't know.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I'm fairly pleased with the line-up - though i'm hoping this isn't everyone. In the most part, I'm just chuffed that it seems like Shulk will be in - add Mewtwo and Ridley and I'm sold.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Back to the Palutena leak, has anyone compared the Pseudo-Palutena trophy with the model? If you pay attention... Palutena and Pseudo-Palutena have some details that don't match (obviously not counting the face). There are a few inconsistencies.

If anyone wants to compare, go ahead. I've provided an high res image of Pseudo Palutena's trophy from the Direct.

Leak's image links here:
http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/smash_bros_palutena_staff.jpg
http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/smash_bros_palutena.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Gaxel

Smash Ace

View attachment 11902

EDIT: Strangely, A lot of the icons are different for some reason. Fixing it.
EDIT: Fixed
In all honestly, it just wouldn't FEEL right.

So many heroes, barely any villains.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Wasn't it Sakurai who said to not expect a large amount of newcomers this time around?
Sakurai once said Villager didn't work for Smash. Sakurai says a lot of things.

In all honestly, it just wouldn't FEEL right.

So many heroes, barely any villains.
Ganondorf and Bowser are the only villains iconic enough to be shoo-ins for Smash. Don't expect any more villains for SSB4, especially since villains are typically tertiary reps for an existing series.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Back to the Palutena leak, has anyone compared the Pseudo-Palutena trophy with the model? If you pay attention... Palutena and Pseudo-Palutena have some details that don't match (obviously not counting the face). There are a few inconsistencies.

If anyone wants to compare, go ahead. I've provided an high res image of Pseudo Palutena's trophy from the Direct.

Leak's image links here:
Dunno if that would work, since I'm pretty sure Psuedo-Palutena is using the Uprising model.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes

Leak's image links here:
Definitely - the charms on her belt are almost entirely different. Pseudo also doesn't have the Starman charm on the second row... Wonder if we should be reading into this.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
My expectation is the same as yours, except:

Dixie Kong could be King K. Rool, it could go either way really.
No Ghirahim, Wolf, or Isaac (sorry).
Takamaru.
Well, since this is the rumour thread I don't wanna go into character discussions, but I can explain some decisions I made because it does relate to this.

- I put Ghirahim there because of the direct trophy theory. It only confirms for me there will be another Zelda rep, it could be anyone but chose a Skyward rep because they showed a Skyward trophy.
- I put Isaac on there because the direct went out of its way to show lots of returning AT's, so I found it peculiar they left Isaac out. It's still up in the air if he's in, but I put him on there because this direct definitely upped his chances imo.
- The only reason I still have Wolf (and Lucas) is because Sakurai said they try to keep as many veterans in as possible. We really don't have any leaks or convincing theories to throw them off my roster yet. I try to keep my roster based grounded reasons.
- Dixie is kinda filler atm since there's not a lot of reason to think another DK rep will make it at this moment. That said, I'm overly biased about K.Rool not getting in. He's a very bland designed, totally irrelevant crocodile with a disgusting eye. ROOL FANS COME AT ME! lol, jk.
- Takamaru would be a great addition to the classic characters, but just like Dixie there's nothing pointing at him being in so far. I don't think anythink shown in the direct points at him and no believable leak has him atm unless I'm missing something.

But like I said, we really know nothing atm on how the roster might look, it can still go many ways with the info we know. I hope the fipo will get fixed soon so we can have a correct list of live leaks.

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937

View attachment 11902

snip
That would be… one hell of a roster, to say the least. 48 characters. I don't think it will really get up quite that high, but I'd be completely down with literally every character on that list. Dang. Even I have expectations now…

I would be pretty happy about that roster (aprt from marshal and lucas.........ohwell.)

though I belive there Is MORE to know.
Okay, first hate on Rhythm Heaven, and now you got something on my boy Lucas? You wanna go, punk? We can take this to the streets, if you want.

I actually consider myself a casual fan; but I have hardcore elements (for one, I am on this forum consistently, and again, I have every Nintendo console and I have supported the major franchises for over a decade). I am casual because I don't really play anything that isn't in Smash (if you know what I mean). I haven't really tried anything that the mass audience hasn't.
Yeahhh, I gotcha. I used to be the same way not too long ago. So young and naïve. So not broke all the time.

lilt

Smash Journeyman

Tekken Tag Tournament had 55 Characters. Namco is working on the game. Even though I don't know how balanced that game is and this is adaptive to the Smash Series.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I HATE the chorus men still. had to say that and that's why I want sal's source to MISTAKEN it as a AT or SOMETHING!
And I can hope against hope that he got confused and it's actually the Elite Beat Agents. ;)

The sad part is that the chorus men are the least original looking characters in RH, too...

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
With the vagueness of "X and Y Pokemon", I wonder if it'd be a likely situation to say that the roster was planned to include an "X/Y Pokemon from the beginning", and Sal's informant got canned before the final decision was made.

A similar situation with a placeholder character was Melee's Roy, where the game's data just calls him "Emblem2".
There's the possibility that the leaker or Sal just didn't know the name of the Pokemon (Greninja/Gekkouga). I mean, we don't know what the leaker's position in all of this is or if they are even the direct source.

By saying "X and Y Pokemon" he's being vague, but he has no reason to be intentionally vague when he predicts another WTF character like the Rhythm Heaven chorus men. The believably of the roster hinges on stuff like that, not the inclusion of an XY pokemon. So it's possible that he just didn't know the name of the pokemon, only that it was from X and Y.

It's fine if you don't believe this leak but it apparently hasn't gotten anything wrong yet. Maybe that's because it hasn't made any claims about stages or what was removed from the game.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

Leak's image links here:
Pseudo Palutena uses her uprising model, lots of trophies use the exact model from their game.

If Palutena is in the new smash she'd have a new look to some extent just like every other playable smash character.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
dam you falco lol. the only reason I see krystal not in and disporving leaks is because starfox already has 3 reps.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

View attachment 11902

EDIT: Strangely, A lot of the icons are different for some reason. Fixing it.
EDIT: Fixed
I like that roster. It feels quirky and definitely very Sakurai, though I would be sad without the inclusion of Mewtwo. Maybe one of those random slots would fill in for him instead.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
There's the possibility that the leaker or Sal just didn't know the name of the Pokemon (Greninja/Gekkouga). I mean, we don't know what the leaker's position in all of this is or if they are even the direct source.

By saying "X and Y Pokemon" he's being vague, but he has no reason to be intentionally vague when he predicts another WTF character like the Rhythm Heaven chorus men. The believably of the roster hinges on stuff like that, not the inclusion of an XY pokemon. So it's possible that he just didn't know the name of the pokemon, only that it was from X and Y.

It's fine if you don't believe this leak but it apparently hasn't gotten anything wrong yet. Maybe that's because it hasn't made any claims about stages or what was removed from the game.

Its equally possible his leaker friend knew what the Direct had in it and left THAT newcomer vague since Sal would see it soon enough, but still techinically informed him of that newcomer.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

Leak's image links here:
Honestly, I feel like those models look strikingly similar. If anyone can point out where they don't, let me know.

Everyone keeps talking about the "starman" on her charms, but I don't see it. I see the eyes as shadows in the chain that hangs down. If you look at the second leak picture, there's no starman. It's a chain that hangs, just like the psudo-Palutena picture has. Lighting and sometimes graphics can change how something appears in a still image, but in motion it looks fine. I say that "starman" is just the top of the chain. Heck, I got frustrated when people said Mario "didn't look the same" or "was taller" or "was in a different position" than the leak photos. People do realize he moves and isn't standing in the same position all the time, right? The fact that it was a different position than we had seen before makes it even more likely to be real, in my books, because if it looked exactly the same, we'd just assume it was a photoshop job, much like the Chrom picture was that got debunked.

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937
earthbound has 2 reps.......why cant f zero? that's my response. plus he is a semi clone and we all know how much toon link changed.
nothing wrong with me.
Soooo… why not both? Why you gotta hate on Lucas, man? Lucas doesn't deserve that. Toon Link doesn't deserve that either. You're askin' for it, BUCKO.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
He said don't expect a lot of third-party newcomers.

Anyway count me in on the new Chorus men/Marshal fans, if it turns out to be true of course. It's so exciting to think what they can do with his character.
And please when it comes to Sakurai you know he can make a moveset for a damn towel if he wanted to.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
earthbound has 2 reps.......why cant f zero? that's my response. plus he is a semi clone and we all know how much toon link changed.
nothing wrong with me.
Well, he's not getting cut, because literally all the new Mother content in Brawl (besides Jeff) was from Mother 3.
Including the bosses and the stage that were used to represent the series. And Lucas was the starter instead of Ness.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
He said don't expect a lot of third-party newcomers.

Anyway count me in on the new Chorus men/Marshal fans, if it turns out to be true of course. It's so exciting to think what they can do with his character.
And please when it comes to Sakurai you know he can make a moveset out of a towel.
There's more than enough crap in RH to make a moveset out of it.

Final smash will be the library cheerleaders, just you watch.

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937
Honestly, I feel like those models look strikingly similar. If anyone can point out where they don't, let me know.

Everyone keeps talking about the "starman" on her charms, but I don't see it. I see the eyes as shadows in the chain that hangs down. If you look at the second leak picture, there's no starman. It's a chain that hangs, just like the psudo-Palutena picture has. Lighting and sometimes graphics can change how something appears in a still image, but in motion it looks fine. I say that "starman" is just the top of the chain. Heck, I got frustrated when people said Mario "didn't look the same" or "was taller" or "was in a different position" than the leak photos. People do realize he moves and isn't standing in the same position all the time, right? The fact that it was a different position than we had seen before makes it even more likely to be real, in my books, because if it looked exactly the same, we'd just assume it was a photoshop job, much like the Chrom picture was that got debunked.
It's the order of the charms, the hair color, the shading, and minor changes in her physique. Also some noticeable differences in the design of her staff and halo, if you look closely. Regardless of whether Smash Palutena (if she exists) has a Starman charm or not, the three points from the leak picture do not correspond to the charm that they should on Pseudo-Palutena.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I like that roster. It feels quirky and definitely very Sakurai, though I would be sad without the inclusion of Mewtwo. Maybe one of those random slots would fill in for him instead.
Here's what I'm going with right now:

48miisdontcountRoster.png

In this roster it's 48, 4 cuts JUST in case thats true (it seems likely to me anyway so why not go with it) and I added all of Sal's leaked newcomers.

Ivysaur and squirtle count as 2 cuts and Snake being cut makes 3, decided to cut Ike and add Mewtwo so that none of the series go "down" in number of "reps" (pokemon 6 /fire emblem 2). Mewtwo makes sense because, since hes a veteran, similar to reworked Charizard
for pokemon trainer, Sal's leaker friend didnt see him as a "newcomer" and thus not leaked.

Ridley's been super hinted about and teased and I could see even sals leaker friend keeping him under wraps so I threw him back in...theres just too much mystery there for me to deconfirm him, it FEELS like hes being teased at us, plus it fits the trophies = characters theory.

to fit the "trophies in the direct = new characters" theory, Ganondorf is reworked (again similar to pkmn trainer becoming charizard) uses a sword now or something and is seen as semi-"new" and thus fits the zelda trophy spot. palutena fits the kid icarus trophy, chrom fits the fire emblem trophy, and ridley fits the metroid trophy.

now on to Mii's, I think Mii's wont "count" as a character spot. Something like they are only selectable in the custom move set mode OR not playable online or something and it will be more of a novelty "mode" than a character and thus the "roster" is still 48 spots. consider Mii's on the selection screen might just be a button on the side to select them or whatever and if someone saw the number of characters and leaked it (48) they didnt count the mii and random button or something.

So this roster fits (by jumping through a lot of hoops) all the stuff thats been leaked /hinted at/talked about lately: Sal's 2 leaks, The trophies being characters, and the 48 characters 4 cuts (i know its "disproven" but im using it as limitations in case it turns out to be true, again probably close to what we'll get anyway so im going with it).

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Heck, I got frustrated when people said Mario "didn't look the same" or "was taller" or "was in a different position" than the leak photos. People do realize he moves and isn't standing in the same position all the time, right? The fact that it was a different position than we had seen before makes it even more likely to be real, in my books.
I know this was aimed at me some what. Switched positions doesn't magically change overall's, eyes, etc. And Mario's hands are never in that position.

I think Palutena's in, but I seriously doubt that Mario's model was changed and then reverted. I don't believe the leak.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I like that, besides 2 or 3 very vocal people, most of us are cool with the (possible) inclusion of Marshall.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
You actually have 49.
He mentioned that he didn't count Miis as a spot since they were custom characters and may not be allowed in online matches.

Thing is, Sakurai mentioned that you couldn't take custom characters into online matches with strangers, but mentioned that you could take them into online matches with friends. Besides, even if Miis are in, they probably have a base standard move set that you can use in online matches with strangers.

I know this was aimed at me some what. Switched positions doesn't magically change overall's, eyes, etc. And Mario's hands are never in that position.

I think Palutena's in, but I seriously doubt that Mario's model was changed and then reverted. I don't believe the leak.
Honestly it wasn't directed at anyone. I don't remember the people who said those things, I just remember reading them and looking at Mario and going "...he doesn't look any different to me." Sorry if I offended. D:

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
You actually have 49.
your counting Mii, read my explination, Mii's dont "count" they wouldnt be usable in lots of game modes, only usable in customizable character mode or not usable online or something so the roster would still be 48 characters.

This hasn't been considered yet, we always add Mii's in like anyone else when its actually very likely they will be some sort of odd "exception to the rule" character. especially now that we know customization looks to be an expansive part of this game and already somewhat limited in where and when it will be allowed. importing Mii's to fight might be similar and again not "counted" as part of the roster, might just be a button on the side to select them or whatever and if someone saw the number of characters and leaked it (48) they didnt count the mii and random button or something.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
One thing about the leak that meakes me nervous (and im sure others would agree) is the lack of Mewtwo, K Rool and Ridley. All villains from some of Nintendos biggest series. It would be a shame to not see them in. (The closest thing to a villain Pokemon will ever get.)

The one hope I have is that those characters are simply not mentioned but are still included, similar to how Rosalina showed up regardless of the leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom