• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
a reworked Ganondorf could FILL that "spot" and count as somewhat new...kind of like how charizard is a reworked veteran and got a trailer...well he shared it with greninja but ganondorf with a sword or something could count as why zelda got a trophy shown (if trophies = upcoming characters of course)
Honestly, as long as he's still Ganondorf in character and not Demise, this would be awesome.

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937
But Zelda doesn't have another open slot- Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Toon Link are 4 since Sheik is now separate on the select screen. Ganondorf makes 5. You can't expect Zelda to get more reps than Mario. That's laughable. Even in Brawl Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda had the same number (Pokemon Trainer was only one rep but had 3 movesets like how Zelda and Samus were both one character with 2 movesets).

I agree. I think Pokemon Trainer was cut for solo Charizard reason being possible loading issues for 3DS/balance issues and then Snake for 3rd Party. I can't see Sakurai putting more characters on the chopping block for no reason. Specifically Lucas, especially with all the Mother 3 content that was added in Brawl.
There are absolutely no "rules" to this. It's not as complicated as you're making it out to be. Keep in mind that Yoshi, Wario, DK, and Diddy are also characters that originated from the Mario series, even if they have come to stray from that. They are all still Mario characters. They appear in the spinoffs and sports games and some main series games still. There are nine Mario reps in the new game. NINE. Remember that.

It's entirely possible for Zelda or Pokémon to have 6 characters. Maybe more! It seems doubtful, but it's absolutely possible.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
You forgot Megaman, that's 11. Rosalina makes 12, who he didn't predict.
You're right I did. So if, hypothetically, we're taking his leak as credible we're sitting at 12 newcomers minimum with the possibility/likelihood of more announced/revealed. Why are people trying to combine this leak with the "48, 4 cut" rumor?

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
It is interesting that Romano's source messaged him around big promotional events. E3 and the Smash Direct. In between that, we did get a non leaked newcomer(Rosalina), which makes sense since she wasn't ever an e3 option and was revealed way before the direct.

I wonder if the source might be related to Nintendo promotion, since that's when he has given out info.(If this is even accurate).

I don't think it's impossible there are newcomers outside of the ones revealed. They may be the ones that will not be shown anytime soon or maybe not even until release...

If this is even accurate. But anyways, nothing said those were ALL the newcomers.
It's also quite possible that, before e3, they planned to release a lot more (PacMan, Mii, etc), but they decided last minute to save those for a later date. That's not that uncommon.

Though, what doesn't make sense is that, if it was a guy involved in promoting, why would he not know Greninja's name? If he's involved with promoting a character in a game, he should know the name.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's also quite possible that, before e3, they planned to release a lot more (PacMan, Mii, etc), but they decided last minute to save those for a later date. That's not that uncommon.

Though, what doesn't make sense is that, if it was a guy involved in promoting, why would he not know Greninja's name? If he's involved with promoting a character in a game, he should know the name.
This is just a theory; but that trailer included Charizard and Greninja. A double trailer, it also show-cased what I assume to be every Pokeball Pokemon. In that crowd, there were Pokemon like Inkay, Snivy, and Darkrai who were not revealed yet, the rest are confirmed Pokeball Pokemon. So in the leak that I read; I believe he just stated "Pokemon" which he could have meant as the plural form of Pokemon (rather than stating: Charizard, Greninja, and all Pokeball Pokemon).

Edit- Just to make it clear, I don't believe the leak, but I believe that this could have been the case.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
yes lets not all "bug" Sal, literally he's given us info and we now know for certain that his info comes from a secondary source who gives out info scarcely and usually right before nintendo shows us a bunch of new smash stuff so in all likeliness his "friend" works inside nintendo in some way for press stuff or something.

dont scare him away, we'll probably get more closer to E3 if everything hasnt been spilled by then.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes

Could it not be that the source chose not to divulge the name? If he'd named Greninja Nintendo would have been pretty damn sure they had a leak in the company, which could potentially cause problems for the guy - Greninja is 1 out of 700+ pokemon. Being vague on that one was probably his best shot at remaining below Nintendo's radar. Possibly. Maybe. Meh.

Morbi

Scavenger
Darkrai was actually revealed in the 3DS press kit. And so were Chespin, Bellossom, Snorlax.
So I'm pretty sure that yes, all those Pokemon in the crowd are gonna be in the game.
I apologize, I hadn't realized that Darkrai was revealed. I had forgotten about Chespin. I always assumed that Bellossom and Snorlax would reappear though, haha. I must have skimmed over them.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
yes lets not all "bug" Sal, literally he's given us info and we now know for certain that his info comes from a secondary source who gives out info scarcely and usually right before nintendo shows us a bunch of new smash stuff so in all likeliness his "friend" works inside nintendo in some way for press stuff or something.

dont scare him away, we'll probably get more closer to E3 if everything hasnt been spilled by then.
No, I disagree. Let's manhunt Sal and do everything in this scene from Beauty and the Beast.

Last edited:

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Could it not be that the source chose not to divulge the name? If he'd named Greninja Nintendo would have been pretty damn sure they had a leak in the company, which could potentially cause problems for the guy - Greninja is 1 out of 700+ pokemon. Being vague on that one was probably his best shot at remaining below Nintendo's radar. Possibly. Maybe. Meh.
If you're going out there and releasing "Chorus Men," then I don't see how releasing Greninjas name makes you any less conspicuous.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It is interesting that Romano's source messaged him around big promotional events. E3 and the Smash Direct. In between that, we did get a non leaked newcomer(Rosalina), which makes sense since she wasn't ever an e3 option and was revealed way before the direct.

I wonder if the source might be related to Nintendo promotion, since that's when he has given out info.(If this is even accurate).

I don't think it's impossible there are newcomers outside of the ones revealed. They may be the ones that will not be shown anytime soon or maybe not even until release...

If this is even accurate. But anyways, nothing said those were ALL the newcomers.
That's what I'm thinking. The timing seems to fall in line with what I imagine would be the time Nintendo would be setting up their E3 plans. This wouldn't be the first time this has happened, either. Before Skyward Sword was unveiled at E3, there was a user on Gamefaqs who worked for a small design company that was doing promotional posters for Nintendo. He leaked the name and theme of the game prior to E3. That's one of the dangers in outsourcing work to so many different companies, but Nintendo is usually good at safeguarding their information even though sometimes things do slip through the cracks.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Sal pretty much is in the same position as us. Though if I was him I would really be concerned about why instead of getting an explanation for the failed appearance of Little Mac, Mii and Pac Man at E3 I just get a "Don't worry, they are still coming, anyway here are more leaks lawlz". Why didn't he answer the question?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel like if we got another Zelda rep, it would be Toon Zelda, or Tetra.
Really? With Sheik's reveal as a separate character slot (even though the two are technically the same person) I honestly count Tetra and Toon Zelda out. I mean, 3 Zelda, all in different slots? It seems a little outlandish, still possible, but unlikely in my opinion.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Chorus Men wouldn't that be WTF, it kinda makes sense and people actually request RH characters sometimes.
I think for most people it would be pretty wtf. I know a lot of people don't even know what the heck Rhythm Heaven is. Working in GameStop and pitching the past two Rhythm Heaven game to Wii and DS owners, I was amazed at how many people had no clue what it was or had no interest at all. Even when we had a demo in the store, people would look at it for less than a minute and get bored when they couldn't figure it out. It was pretty surprising and saddening.

That said, I think a lot of players would look at the Chorus Men and go "who the heck is that?" Much like people did with Game & Watch. For us Nintendo fans, it makes sense, but for people who are more casual about it, it's certainly oddball.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
If you're going out there and releasing "Chorus Men," then I don't see how releasing Greninjas name makes you any less conspicuous.
That's sort of my point - he named WFT and Chorus Men, two of the most obscure characters out there. If I was to risk naming them, I certainly wouldn't want to put an even bigger target on my back by naming the newest Pokemon too. Hell, I don't know for sure - it just seems like the only logical reason for him not to name it. If he's working closely enough to have information, there's no way he could just not know the name.

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937
Darkrai was actually revealed in the 3DS press kit. And so were Chespin, Bellossom, Snorlax.
So I'm pretty sure that yes, all those Pokemon in the crowd are gonna be in the game.
Don't forget Spewpa, the most important of them all.

I feel like if we got another Zelda rep, it would be Toon Zelda, or Tetra.
Tetra is possible. I'd like that to happen. Toon Zelda is too, and she'd be especially easy to duplicate over from TP Zelda with her new Phantom attack. But I still wouldn't bet on her.

Ghirahim certainly has the fanbase to become a newcomer, despite appearing in only one game so far. Though some people thought the same of Midna. I see Ghirahim as more likely than Midna was in Brawl, but still fairly unlikely.

The only possible newcomer I can think of beyond that is… Tingle maybe? That would be out there, though. Plus, it feels like even his Japanese fanbase is dying down lately, so I have no idea.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I HATE the chorus men still. had to say that and that's why I want sal's source to MISTAKEN it as a AT or SOMETHING!

Morbi

Scavenger
I think for most people it would be pretty wtf. I know a lot of people don't even know what the heck Rhythm Heaven is. Working in GameStop and pitching the past two Rhythm Heaven game to Wii and DS owners, I was amazed at how many people had no clue what it was or had no interest at all. Even when we had a demo in the store, people would look at it for less than a minute and get bored when they couldn't figure it out. It was pretty surprising and saddening.

That said, I think a lot of players would look at the Chorus Men and go "who the heck is that?" Much like people did with Game & Watch. For us Nintendo fans, it makes sense, but for people who are more casual about it, it's certainly oddball.
I consider myself a casual/hardcore (somewhere in the middle) Nintendo fan; I purchase most of the triple-a titles, I am current on most news, I own a Wii U/3DS. I have supported every one of their consoles... and I have no idea what Rhythm Heaven is.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
I don't think leakers have as big of a "target on their back" as people may think. I worked the halftime show of the Super Bowl in Dallas, and they made us sign a contract about keeping it secret that Slash was popping out of the stage and Usher was being lowered from the rafters. But I know tons of people that posted about it on Facebook and such, and no one got busted. Same thing in a Bud Light commercial that I was recently a part of - signed a contract saying we wouldn't reveal the nature of the commercial, but it was all over Twitter within minutes of filming.

I don't think they have too much to worry about - I think they are just intimidated to be hush hush.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Tetra is possible. I'd like that to happen. Toon Zelda is too, and she'd be especially easy to duplicate over from TP Zelda with her new Phantom attack. But I still wouldn't bet on her.
Doesn't the Phantom actually kind of discount Toon Zelda, because it's a move unique to her, but they gave it to normal Zelda instead?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
For the record, I'm not giving out and personal contact information for Sal. I'm not even publicly posting the transcript of our conversation. Want to give him that respect, and I've pretty much given the gist of what he told me minus some other insignificant details.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
That's sort of my point - he named WFT and Chorus Men, two of the most obscure characters out there. If I was to risk naming them, I certainly wouldn't want to put an even bigger target on my back by naming the newest Pokemon too. Hell, I don't know for sure - it just seems like the only logical reason for him not to name it. If he's working closely enough to have information, there's no way he could just not know the name.
if he had outright named greninja then yes the internet would explode with "THIS GUY GOT IT AGAIN!" while being vague and even slipping something unguessable like chorus men the entire internet isnt exploding, we are still debating, so nintendo will just stay out of it... though thats probably how nintendo would play it anyway, the last time greninja got "leaked" people got in trouble (pokemon x and y leaks)

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman

Which is why this pick is not a good idea to me. Even with casuals there is literally nothing there. Nothing there for Sakurai to make his own like with Pit, nothing there history wise. Just a niche supplement game and franchise. I mean what the hell is the trophy going to say? He wasn't even the main character in most of the games and Marshal was the only one important. And their names are Chorus Kids technically. This is a damn nightmare so its probably true.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I consider myself a casual/hardcore (somewhere in the middle) Nintendo fan; I purchase most of the triple-a titles, I am current on most news, I own a Wii U/3DS. I have supported every one of their consoles... and I have no idea what Rhythm Heaven is.
Well, my friend, you would do yourself a massive favor if you tried out either the DS or Wii version of the game. Super easy to get in to, super fun to play, challenging, and hilarious. Seriously, there was a stage I played that had me laughing so hard I couldn't finish it and had to start over.

Which is why this pick is not a good idea to me. Even with casuals there is literally nothing there. Nothing there for Sakurai to make his own like with Pit, nothing there history wise. Just a niche supplement game and franchise. I mean what the hell is the trophy going to say? He wasn't even the main character in most of the games and Marshal was the only one important. And their names are Choir Kids technically. This is a damn nightmare so its probably true.
I dunno about that. Given the completely random nature and massive selection of minigames the full games provide, I'd say there's a ton of source material to create a moveset from. Much like how Mr. Game & Watch derived his moves from each separate Game & Watch handheld game, Marshal could take each move from a particular mini game in Rhythm Heaven. He's got fireworks, balloons, monkeys, badminton, space robots, pigs, moai statues, bacteria, love potions, dogs, guitars, candy, spiders, TONS of material, and that's just off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
Really? With Sheik's reveal as a separate character slot (even though the two are technically the same person) I honestly count Tetra and Toon Zelda out. I mean, 3 Zelda, all in different slots? It seems a little outlandish, still possible, but unlikely in my opinion.
I agree. Any other variations of Link or Zelda are off the table in my opinion. I would be surprised if they got another at this point honestly but if they do I would anticipate a villain.

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937

Sick to death of all you ****ing casuals…

No, but seriously, it's a… fairly new series. I am a little surprised you've never heard of it if you consider yourself a hardcore fan, and I'm a little saddened, too. But it's not the end of the world. It really is a very obscure, oddball kind of Japanese-y game. Picture WarioWare: the rhythm game. The first game in the series didn't even come to America because Nintendo didn't think it would sell at all, so I'm lucky that I even know what the series is.

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I don't think leakers have as big of a "target on their back" as people may think. I worked the halftime show of the Super Bowl in Dallas, and they made us sign a contract about keeping it secret that Slash was popping out of the stage and Usher was being lowered from the rafters. But I know tons of people that posted about it on Facebook and such, and no one got busted. Same thing in a Bud Light commercial that I was recently a part of - signed a contract saying we wouldn't reveal the nature of the commercial, but it was all over Twitter within minutes of filming.

I don't think they have too much to worry about - I think they are just intimidated to be hush hush.
While I understand your point, leaking details of a videogame is a different story altogether. Fans are fickle - I'm sure Nintendo will take leaks that could potentially lose them money (for instance, a character list the fans deem unsatisfactory) extremely seriously. That's why I'm inclined to believe a leaker would be extraordinarily careful not to draw attention to themselves by nailing themselves down to too many specifics that indicate a leak in the company.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
From what Sal told me, it's primarily through email. His source appears to be busy, because when Sal tried to inquire about the absence of Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man from last year's E3, he hadn't heard back from him until this last set of characters he'd received word on. Sal isn't a sure what this person does, but just knows their getting info from somewhere. Considering all of the information seems to come close to E3, there might be a connection there.

Take all this for what you will. Sal is trusting this source just as much as we are.
Huh, interesting.

This source seems to like big announcements, which I suppose is understandable.

Sal pretty much is in the same position as us. Though if I was him I would really be concerned about why instead of getting an explanation for the failed appearance of Little Mac, Mii and Pac Man at E3 I just get a "Don't worry, they are still coming, anyway here are more leaks lawlz". Why didn't he answer the question?
Yeah, that's very suspicious, though I suppose any rear-covering in that situation would be suspect.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
A visual mix of Sals' leaked newcomers, confirmed characters, and my veteran predictions:

Leaks Roster.png

As in Roster Maker, Blue=Starter and Red=Unlockable

Cut: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake.

If this were the roster, what do you like? What do you dislike (Other than no Ridley, K. Rool, or Mewtwo. I know you guys dislike it, especially Mewtwo, if they are absent)?

EDIT: Strangely, A lot of the icons are different for some reason. Fixing it.
EDIT: Fixed

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
With the vagueness of "X and Y Pokemon", I wonder if it'd be a likely situation to say that the roster was planned to include an "X/Y Pokemon from the beginning", and Sal's informant got canned before the final decision was made.

A similar situation with a placeholder character was Melee's Roy, where the game's data just calls him "Emblem2".
It's a shame that the majority of the community doesn't know this. Anytime Sakurai says he "plans the roster before game development", it's more accurate to say he "makes a list of possible contenders and lets other game companies and Nintendo staff change it as he goes along".

It's well known Sonic began development Summer before Brawl released, and the Melee clones were added near the end, but less known that Sakurai lets each respective game company keep influence over who is included. The Fire Emblem and Pokemon Company are known to select their characters. It's said Sakurai initially chose Eliwood for Melee, but after meeting with the company he went with Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom