• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
We should really be careful about over-analyzing the trophy reveals in the Direct. It's possible that they just showed FE, Metroid, Zelda, and KI because these are popular franchises with recent games.

Shroob

Sup?
He said 4 hint's? I don't remember hearing about this.

Also, food for thought on the Gematsu leak. CAW evolution said

I don't know what that means, but CAW is a respected member who has been involved in the leaking of many other fighting games.
Who is CAW, by chance?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
CAW or not, I'm still skeptical of the leaker as I cannot buy a reveal as big as Pac-Man being delayed a whole year as an "impromptu change" at the last minute.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Who is CAW, by chance?
CAW Evolution of gamefaqs.

CAW or not, I'm still skeptical of the leaker as I cannot buy a reveal as big as Pac-Man being delayed a whole year as an "impromptu change" at the last minute.
I'd say it's a save for E3. Mii's and Pacman would draw in a wide range of fans as they are one of the most identifiable characters out there.

Last edited:

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
If you're doubting the Salromano leak on the basis of "why not just say the name of Greninja instead of Pokemon X/Y," check this out.

http://smashboards.com/threads/rhythm-heaven-fevers-musical-mascot-marshal-moveset-added.345409/

It's very possible that, if he or his source was shown a picture of the roster on the Japanese game, he only had small images to go off of. He may not have known Greninja's name (but found it pretty obvious he was an X/Y Pokemon), and may have just guessed that Marshall was one of the Chorus Men (they look very similar). If Marshall is ever confirmed, which I doubt because he seems like a very last-minute unlockable, then this reason seems plausible to me.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
What's some of his credentials? What are some of the stuff he's leaked correctly?
Off the top of my head, the entire roster of Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and that he's been in touch with many real leakers before (I don't know how honestly). I'll have to search again to find the other stuff he's leaked. He usually just has insider information. I believe he knew about many DLC characters in Injustice Gods among us, and leaked some stuff in regards to that. One example is Lobo who I think he knew about before anyone else. Oh, and he usually knows "a friend of a friend", kind of deal.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Marshal would be a good WTF character and if these rumours are true I think I'd be ok with that Smash4 roster but it's kinda making me want DLC.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If you're doubting the Salromano leak on the basis of "why not just say the name of Greninja instead of Pokemon X/Y," check this out.

http://smashboards.com/threads/rhythm-heaven-fevers-musical-mascot-marshal-moveset-added.345409/

It's very possible that, if he or his source was shown a picture of the roster on the Japanese game, he only had small images to go off of. He may not have known Greninja's name (but found it pretty obvious he was an X/Y Pokemon), and may have just guessed that Marshall was one of the Chorus Men (they look very similar). If Marshall is ever confirmed, which I doubt because he seems like a very last-minute unlockable, then this reason seems plausible to me.
If he's going off images and knows it's an X & Y Pokemon, he can identify it. Hell, if he knows it's a Pokemon he can identify it.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Marshal would be a good WTF character and if these rumours are true I think I'd be ok with that Smash4 roster but it's kinda making me want DLC.
Assuming these rumors are true, what does the final roster look like?

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937
If the trophies mean anything:

Metroid: Ridley
Zelda: Tingle
Fire Emblem: I dunno, Chrom probably. Not a huge fan of the series just yet.
Kid Icarus: Lady Palutena.

KTHNXBYEPLS.
As long as you're acknowledging the "if", I'm fine with speculation about this.

It's just Metroid that bothers me. The thing is, even though I love Ridley to death, I'm pretty convinced he's not going to be playable now. I really don't think there's any way it will happen. And I don't know what Metroid character would be a possible second (third, I guess) representative to match up to Samus. Adam or Anthony? I hope not. Kraid? He's way bigger than Ridley! Dark Samus is an Assist. The other freelance hunters from Prime 3/Hunters aren't relevant at all. Rundas and Trace gained some brief popularity YEARS ago, but neither has shown up since. The most likely options right now are "generic Chozo" or "generic Space Pirate". And that's pretty sad.

Aside from that though, the rest seem likely. Zelda certainly has a possible "slot" open, but it's not entirely necessary. Fire Emblem will almost certainly get an Awakening representative, I believe that. And Kid Icarus is very likely to get Palutena, seeing as Uprising is Sakurai's new baby. But I still have my doubts about any of these. I think we're all looking too deep, and when that happens, we're on a crash course for disappointment.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I feel sal's leak BETTER NOT HAVE SAID ALL THE CHARACATERS because its missing plenty on my wishlist........like Dixie.

Morbi

Scavenger
That's the problem... We're still completely in the dark when it comes to veterans.
As long as Sakurai is adhering to a minimalist cut system; Pokemon Trainer may be the only significant cut. I believe most veterans will return, he just needed to clean the roster slightly. And that he did.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Since everyone and their dog seem to have an opinion on Sal Romano's leaks, I decided to contact him and talk with him in a private chat. He responded back to me today.

He trusts his source. Like us, he's curious why the other 3 characters weren't shown at E3, but he felt comfortable posting the latest set of rumors because his source has yet to be wrong about any of the characters, primarily Wii Fit Trainer. He admitted that X and Y character is "vague as hell", as he put it, but considering Greninja was revealed shortly after Sal posted what'd he heard from his source, he's pretty sure it none the less validates his source again.

Another thing he told me is that if he was told about Ridley, or any other characters, he'd have posted them. He's just relating what his source tells him. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Since everyone and their dog seem to have an opinion on Sal Romano's leaks, I decided to contact him and talk with him in a private chat. He responded back to me today.

He trusts his source. Like us, he's curious why the other 3 characters weren't shown at E3, but he felt comfortable posting the latest set of rumors because his source has yet to be wrong about the characters, primarily Wii Fit Trainer. He admitted that X and Y character is "vague as hell", as he put it, but considering Greninja was revealed shortly after Sal posted what'd he heard from his source, he's pretty sure it none the less validates his source again.

Another thing he told me is that if he was told about Ridley, or any other characters, he'd have posted them. He's just relating what his source tells him. Nothing more.
I was looking around for more information about CAW to help chris and found this.
I know for certain that the leaker simply didn’t guess — he verified with me that he either works for or knows somebody from a certain company (I’m being purposefully vague). But here’s the problem: the leaker never actually claimed to have seen those characters with his own two eyes.
So the whole visual thing is thrown out the window. I'm so curious as to how he's getting his information, or if the leaker is being vague on purpose.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Are we still holding on to ''relevancy" as a debating point.

All the retro reps would instantly not be in if this were the case.

Nor would Sheik as she is no longer relevant to modern Zelda games.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
With the vagueness of "X and Y Pokemon", I wonder if it'd be a likely situation to say that the roster was planned to include an "X/Y Pokemon from the beginning", and Sal's informant got canned before the final decision was made.

A similar situation with a placeholder character was Melee's Roy, where the game's data just calls him "Emblem2".

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So the whole visual thing is thrown out the window. I'm so curious as to how he's getting his information, or if the leaker is being vague on purpouse.
From what Sal told me, it's primarily through email. His source appears to be busy, because when Sal tried to inquire about the absence of Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man from last year's E3, he hadn't heard back from him until this last set of characters he'd received word on. Sal isn't a sure what this person does, but just knows their getting info from somewhere. Considering all of the information seems to come close to E3, there might be a connection there.

Take all this for what you will. Sal is trusting this source just as much as we are.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
As long as you're acknowledging the "if", I'm fine with speculation about this.

It's just Metroid that bothers me. The thing is, even though I love Ridley to death, I'm pretty convinced he's not going to be playable now. I really don't think there's any way it will happen. And I don't know what Metroid character would be a possible second (third, I guess) representative to match up to Samus. Adam or Anthony? I hope not. Kraid? He's way bigger than Ridley! Dark Samus is an Assist. The other freelance hunters from Prime 3/Hunters aren't relevant at all. Rundas and Trace gained some brief popularity YEARS ago, but neither has shown up since. The most likely options right now are "generic Chozo" or "generic Space Pirate". And that's pretty sad.

Aside from that though, the rest seem likely. Zelda certainly has a possible "slot" open, but it's not entirely necessary. Fire Emblem will almost certainly get an Awakening representative, I believe that. And Kid Icarus is very likely to get Palutena, seeing as Uprising is Sakurai's new baby. But I still have my doubts about any of these. I think we're all looking too deep, and when that happens, we're on a crash course for disappointment.
But Zelda doesn't have another open slot- Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Toon Link are 4 since Sheik is now separate on the select screen. Ganondorf makes 5. You can't expect Zelda to get more reps than Mario. That's laughable. Even in Brawl Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda had the same number (Pokemon Trainer was only one rep but had 3 movesets like how Zelda and Samus were both one character with 2 movesets).
As long as Sakurai is adhering to a minimalist cut system; Pokemon Trainer may be the only significant cut. I believe most veterans will return, he just needed to clean the roster slightly. And that he did.
I agree. I think Pokemon Trainer was cut for solo Charizard reason being possible loading issues for 3DS/balance issues and then Snake for 3rd Party. I can't see Sakurai putting more characters on the chopping block for no reason. Specifically Lucas, especially with all the Mother 3 content that was added in Brawl.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
That's the problem... We're still completely in the dark when it comes to veterans.
Not only that, we don't know if there will be more newcomers as well. He only confirmed a number of newcomers, basically only giving some info he could get a hold of. I made a rough prediction on the final roster which is mostly based on this leak, the direct trophies theory and some omissions that stood out to me in the direct itself which you can find in my signature. But even then it's still so far-fetched because we really don't know nearly enough about the roster.

I wanna know since I didn't got an answer yet, was the first part of that leak revealed near the direct that confirmed Rosalina and Megaman?

Last edited:

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
This Sal leak that people are on about, he doesn't list any cuts correct? He's only listed 10 Newcomers?

LIttle Mac
Pac-Man
Mii
WFT
Animal Crossing Guy
Shulk
Palutena
Chrom
Chorus Men
Pokemon from X/Y

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
With the vagueness of "X and Y Pokemon", I wonder if it'd be a likely situation to say that the roster was planned to include an "X/Y Pokemon from the beginning", and Sal's informant got canned before the final decision was made.

A similar situation with a placeholder character was Melee's Roy, where the game's data just calls him "Emblem2".
So is it possible he works in the coding in the game or something along those lines? Who knows honestly, I guess that's not what we're discussing. It would make sense for him to have more information if E3's approaching. I'm just waiting now.

Duster72

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFateSystem
3DS FC
4124-4990-2937
Are we still holding on to ''relevancy" as a debating point.

All the retro reps would instantly not be in if this were the case.

Nor would Sheik as she is no longer relevant to modern Zelda games.
Retro characters, as has been stated many times by many people, are the exception. It also helps if they are there to represent their series, rather than being yet another character in an already represented series, like Roy or Pichu. So relevancy is important, but only in moderation, and there's not really any concrete rules, per se, as to who can be included or not. It's all up to Sakurai and co.

I'll give you Sheik though. Sheik seems like a strange choice to me. I wondered if she was going to be out of Brawl, and then again with this game, but she just keeps coming back. You'd think that since Zelda and Sheik are separate characters now, they'd go with Impa or something, since she's a far more prominent character.

From what Sal told me, it's primarily through email. His source appears to be busy, because when Sal tried to inquire about the absence of Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man from last year's E3, he hadn't heard back from him until this last set of characters he'd received word on. Sal isn't a sure what this person does, but just knows their getting info from somewhere. Considering all of the information seems to come close to E3, there might be a connection there.
So this is just the most popular game of telephone in the Smash community, basically. Amazing that we've gotten our information as reliably as we have, assuming this is all true. But I guess someone has to do the digging to the source, and Sal's as close as we're getting.

juanguijarro

Smash Rookie
Last rumor i read:
With the new attack customization lucas and wolf are cut
Falco and ganondforf are reworked
Ivisaur and squirtle dont come back too
Every one else is back minus ike who is replaced by shulk as the heavy swordsman
Jiglypuff is reworked too with fairy moves
Chrom is newcomer, apparently he can ride a horse
Palutena newcomer
Mewtwo is back
Bowser jr
Tingle
A pixelated version of pacman (very cool)
Ridley
Profesor layton
And the wtf character is cranky kong attacking with pixelated old glories

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
But Zelda doesn't have another open slot- Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Toon Link are 4 since Sheik is now separate on the select screen. Ganondorf makes 5. You can't expect Zelda to get more reps than Mario. That's laughable. Even in Brawl Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda had the same number (Pokemon Trainer was only one rep but had 3 movesets like how Zelda and Samus were both one character with 2 movesets).

I agree. I think Pokemon Trainer was cut for solo Charizard reason being possible loading issues for 3DS/balance issues and then Snake for 3rd Party. I can't see Sakurai putting more characters on the chopping block for no reason. Specifically Lucas, especially with all the Mother 3 content that was added in Brawl.
Sakurai always counted Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Charizard, Squirtle & Ivysaur seperate though

Morbi

Scavenger

Precisely; Sakurai isn't removing characters because he wants to. He is omitting characters because he must. Lucas is much more safe than anyone gives him credit, he was one of Sakurai's personal selections. Removing him based on the notion that he is a psuedo-clone would be utterly preposterous (as they are merely reminiscent of each-other, they have different play-styles). Aside from that, we have Toon Link precedent that overtly shows that clone-status is immaterial. No one can give any other reason unless they attempt to establish that Mother isn't an important franchise to Nintendo (this is irrelevant as Mother is important to Smash; it also relies on the approximation that a necessary attribute of the roster is proportional representation of Nintendo franchises, i.e. Mother shouldn't have two when Metroid has 2;). The very notion that Smash should be proportionally represented is inherently fallacious. If that was the case; we would have 15 plus Mario characters, 10 plus Pokemon character, and 10 plus Zelda characters.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So is it possible he works in the coding in the game or something along those lines? Who knows honestly, I guess that's not what we're discussing. It would make sense for him to have more information if E3's approaching. I'm just waiting now.
I wouldn't say he'd be limited to coding, but I am saying that I wouldn't rule out X/Y Pokemon as a placeholder slot when Sal's source got the info.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
He said 4 hint's? I don't remember hearing about this.

Also, food for thought on the Gematsu leak. CAW evolution said

I don't know what that means, but CAW is a respected member who has been involved in the leaking of many other fighting games.
he never said 4 hints he just said we werent noticing something hinted at in the trailer and people immediately decided the trophies = chaarcters but it could be something completely different...

maybe even this time stamp:

Someone found this on gamefaqs? I don't understand tbh, is it a joke or what? Is this what the Nintendo Employee is talking about?
Release date?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68996207
who knows...

Shroob

Sup?
This Sal leak that people are on about, he doesn't list any cuts correct? He's only listed 10 Newcomers?

LIttle Mac
Pac-Man
Mii
WFT
Animal Crossing Guy
Shulk
Palutena
Chrom
Chorus Men
Pokemon from X/Y
You forgot Megaman, that's 11. Rosalina makes 12, who he didn't predict.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

LIttle Mac
Pac-Man
Mii
WFT
Animal Crossing Guy
Shulk
Palutena
Chrom
Chorus Men
Pokemon from X/Y
I am just confused how he didn't get Rosalina if he did get the others.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Not only that, we don't know if there will be more newcomers as well. He only confirmed a number of newcomers, basically only giving some info he could get a hold of. I made a rough prediction on the final roster which is mostly based on this leak, the direct trophies theory and some omissions that stood out to me in the direct itself which you can find in my signature. But even then it's still so far-fetched because we really don't know nearly enough about the roster.

I wanna know since I didn't got an answer yet, was the first part of that leak revealed near the direct that confirmed Rosalina and Megaman?
My expectation is the same as yours, except:

Dixie Kong could be King K. Rool, it could go either way really.
No Ghirahim, Wolf, or Isaac (sorry).
Takamaru.

Putting us at 50.

Last edited:

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
It is interesting that Romano's source messaged him around big promotional events. E3 and the Smash Direct. In between that, we did get a non leaked newcomer(Rosalina), which makes sense since she wasn't ever an e3 option and was revealed way before the direct.

I wonder if the source might be related to Nintendo promotion, since that's when he has given out info.(If this is even accurate).

I don't think it's impossible there are newcomers outside of the ones revealed. They may be the ones that will not be shown anytime soon or maybe not even until release...

If this is even accurate. But anyways, nothing said those were ALL the newcomers.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

a reworked Ganondorf could FILL that "spot" and count as somewhat new...kind of like how charizard is a reworked veteran and got a trailer...well he shared it with greninja but ganondorf with a sword or something could count as why zelda got a trophy shown (if trophies = upcoming characters of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom