• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trick or Treat

I wouldn't correlate the timing of a Smash debut with the character's importance to Nintendo. If each Smash game adds characters of diminishing importance, what would be exciting about Smash 4 newcomers? We would be inching closer to marginal characters. Further, would characters like Dr. Mario, Pichu and Roy be more important than Wario or Meta Knight since the formers made it in first?

R.O.B. is forever a milestone in Nintendo's history, and a late appearance in the Smash series doesn't take away from that.
Are you arguing ROB's overall importance? Because he enabled video games to be marketed as toys, which saved the industry in a time where video games were new and people were wary.

We wouldn't be able to enjoy Smash if it weren't for ROB because none of the franchises would have been created. The entire industry would have tanked 30 years ago if not for ROB. You're arguing against something that happened 30 years ago that enabled characters like Kirby and Pikachu to be created.

Mario, too, now that I think about it. MARIO wouldn't exist if not for ROB.
I'm not arguing against his importance. My only real point is, if Nintendo thought that highly about him, I just don't see why it took so long to include him in the game. I do understand the "diminishing importance" aspect, which I suppose is a good point.

Also, I'll have you guys know that there is no sign of the Cucco leak on page 421.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I'm not arguing against his importance. My only real point is, if Nintendo thought that highly about him, I just don't see why it took so long to include him in the game. I do understand the "diminishing importance" aspect, which I suppose is a good point.

Also, I'll have you guys know that there is no sign of the Cucco leak on page 421.
The cucco leak just doesn't exist. I searched the final 120 pages yesterday, and everybody else did the rest in batches of 50. Beyond doing an entirely new look through, I'd say we can just put this one down to group hysteria ;)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Maybe the Cucco leak doesn't actually exist and we all just imagined it... nah.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think we've seen the biggest curveball because the curveballs have always been released as unlockable secret characters (G&W, ROB).

IMO, any leak that doesn't have a true curveball is immediately dismissible for that reason alone, unless Sakurai bucks the trend this time out.

Something like "The Floating Head of Dr. Kawashima" or the Virtual Boy...
What if the curveball is that there is no curveball?

Regarding the Cucco rumor, if we can't find it with Smashboards' search or this link, it may never be found. It probably doesn't help that Cucco is routinely misspelled in a wide variety of ways; but like a few of you, I've also searched for Coocoo, Cucko, and all variations, fruitlessly. Is there the slightest chance the rumor actually mentioned Ooccoo and folks are mixing them up?

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Regarding the Cucco rumor, if we can't find it with Smashboards' search or this link, it may never be found. It probably doesn't help that Cucco is routinely misspelled in a wide variety of ways; but like a few of you, I've also searched for Coocoo, Cucko, and all variations, fruitlessly. Is there the slightest chance the rumor actually mentioned Ooccoo and folks are mixing them up?
Yeah, I was looking for misspellings, The Japanese spelling, anything vaguely similar - but nothing. I just think we're all confusing this one with another leak.

Last edited:

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Did we discuss this? looks pretty worthless to me. For now I'm calling this the "Sorry Leak". :)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68896166

I have a leak I need to share with you all. It Sorry that it's not a lot of info , but I was only told this.

There are no returning characters or newcomers left for March.

There is a direct in April for Isaac. Also a new Advance Wars game for WiiU, and a new Metroid for WiiU.

Isaac is a playable character. The next direct is introducing Isaac.
Sheik is a returning character. Sheik is the next returning character to be revealed.

Lip's Stick is a returning item. Lip / Furil is not playable.

Takamaru is a new Asssist Trophy, not playable.

There are costumes.

There are no new multi-man guys, it is the same alloys from Brawl.

And the final thing I was told was that Adventure Mode is faster to finish and has no cutscenes, but otherwise plays just like the Subspace Emissary.

Sorry it was so short.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Did we discuss this? looks pretty worthless to me

I have a leak I need to share with you all. It Sorry that it's not a lot of info , but I was only told this.

There is a direct in April for Isaac. Also a new Advance Wars game for WiiU, and a new Metroid for WiiU.

Sheik is a returning character. Sheik is the next returning character to be revealed.

There are costumes.

And the final thing I was told was that Adventure Mode is faster to finish and has no cutscenes, but otherwise plays just like the Subspace Emissary.

Sorry it was so short.
Now this is a leak I like, it has Takamaru as an AT. :grin:
That said, I'm pretty sure this is fake.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I like Isaac, but what's with all of the leaks that include him?
Personally I think Brawl was his best shot. His chances and popularity have decreased tremendously.

T

Trick or Treat

More leaks should include Multi-Man enemies. That could really help a leak's credibility.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Alloys again, huh? I'd rather have the fighting polygon team return.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Personally I think Brawl was his best shot. His chances and popularity have decreased tremendously.
The fact that he was an Assist Trophy in Brawl and the fact that his series has no playable fighters gives him a pretty decent chance of being upgraded like Little Mac was.

T

Trick or Treat

So it helps Lakitu, Kuruuin, and Knuckle Joe be playable too?
Honestly the whole AT argument feels real null here.
Not that I agree with him, but he did say that Isaac's series (along with Mac's) didn't have any playable fighters. Unlike Lakitu and Knuckle Joe.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So it helps Lakitu, Kuruuin, and Knuckle Joe be playable too?
Honestly the whole AT argument feels real null here.
Well, yeah.

I think an assist trophy is at least a sign that Sakurai remembers the character exists and he must remember they exist before adding them to the roster, after all. ;)

T

Trick or Treat

Pikmin, do you just 'Like' everyone's posts by default? I always see your name there, lol.

Pretty much what Envy said. There's a big difference between a character who's the main one of their (unrepped) series vs some tertiary character from a well-repped series like Lakitu.
Yeah, there is. Still, to be clear, I don't think that's enough of a reason alone to say Isaac has a good chance. Little Mac at least had Punch Out on the Wii.

Did we discuss this? looks pretty worthless to me

There are costumes.

Sorry it was so short.
I think it passes a lot of hurdles that most rumors trip over on arrival. There's no introductory prose about a friend who works for Namco, "take it with a grain of salt," etc. While some knowledge of past Smash games is exhibited, there's nothing that only the fruit-loopiest Smash fanatics would know. No established facts are contradicted.

So, this is the kind of rumor I'd like to discuss on its merit.

As another user said, Isaac's greatest window of opportunity was with Brawl. Since he was passed up at the height of his "career," does that mean we may never see him playable? It depends entirely on if Sakurai thinks of it that way. Maybe he puts no time limit on good characters.

That's a big claim about Wii U sequels for Advance Wars and Metroid. I wonder why that info would be mixed in with SSB4 info like that, unless there was some marketing tie.

What kind of job at Namco would one person have in order to be privy to all this? Someone on the marketing team, possibly? Maybe the Lip's Stick is seen briefly in the gameplay montage for the alleged Isaac trailer. Maybe these are things lined up for next week's Pics of the Day.

T

Trick or Treat

I wasn't around for the Chaos Zero or PortraitofRuin (or whatever they were called) leaks. What did they describe as their source? I'm just curious to know what kind of relationship to the team they had, especially if it actually IS something like "Oh hey my friend worked on the game yo"

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
Wouldn't complain if he was playable, but I'd prefer Issac or Matthew as an assist trophy. Feel like there's too many sword wielding characters. I'd rather see a left field character like the Amazon from Pro Wrestling.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Pikmin, do you just 'Like' everyone's posts by default? I always see your name there, lol.
Must be a setting somewhere. :p BluePikmin's got it set up so every post made is automatically liked and then they just unlike the few they don't want to. :laugh:
Yeah, there is. Still, to be clear, I don't think that's enough of a reason alone to say Isaac has a good chance. Little Mac at least had Punch Out on the Wii.
I understand that, but Golden Sun Dark Dawn came out even more recently than Punch Out.

While Dark Dawn would seem to give Matthew a better chance, I would say (and this is just an educated guess) that Isaac is more recognizable than Matthew because of his exposure to the Smash audience as an Assist Trophy. I know this is the case for at least some people, because we were discussing Isaac in the Project M Clone Engine thread and someone posted a picture of Matthew and said it would be a good Alt Costume for Isaac if he was added. They had no idea it was a different character.

Last edited:

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
I think it passes a lot of hurdles that most rumors trip over on arrival. There's no introductory prose about a friend who works for Namco, "take it with a grain of salt," etc. While some knowledge of past Smash games is exhibited, there's nothing that only the fruit-loopiest Smash fanatics would know. No established facts are contradicted.

So, this is the kind of rumor I'd like to discuss on its merit.

As another user said, Isaac's greatest window of opportunity was with Brawl. Since he was passed up at the height of his "career," does that mean we may never see him playable? It depends entirely on if Sakurai thinks of it that way. Maybe he puts no time limit on good characters.

That's a big claim about Wii U sequels for Advance Wars and Metroid. I wonder why that info would be mixed in with SSB4 info like that, unless there was some marketing tie.

What kind of job at Namco would one person have in order to be privy to all this? Someone on the marketing team, possibly? Maybe the Lip's Stick is seen briefly in the gameplay montage for the alleged Isaac trailer. Maybe these are things lined up for next week's Pics of the Day.
You know the more I look at at the more I could see it happening. The metroid and AW are big claims which to me lends credibility/insanity. What could disprove this?

T

Trick or Treat

The Alloys were revealed just a couple months before Brawl's release. It's possible that the new enemies could be revealed earlier as well.

Rather than fill the leak with all characters, they should try to leak about the new Multi-Man enemies, because like I said, it could give more credibility. It'd be along the same line as someone guessing a rather obscure character.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn came out even more recently than that. But besides that, let's not forget that recency isn't much of a factor and that Golden Sun is still considered one of the better JRPGs out there.

While Dark Dawn would seem to give Matthew a better chance, I would say (and this is just an educated guess) that Isaac is more recognizable than Matthew because of his exposure to the Smash audience as an Assist Trophy. I know this is the case for at least some people, because we were discussing Isaac in the Project M Clone Engine thread and someone posted a picture of Matthew and said it would be a good Alt Costume for Isaac if he was added. They had no idea it was a different character.
Well, shows what I know, lol...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I just like well-made posts here and responses, always greatly appreciated. :)

The Alloys were revealed just a couple months before Brawl's release. It's possible that the new enemies could be revealed earlier as well.

Rather than fill the leak with all characters, they should try to leak about the new Multi-Man enemies, because like I said, it could give more credibility. It'd be along the same line as someone guessing a rather obscure character.
The sad fact is that most people just go for the characters when it comes to leaks, so we'll rarely see types of leaks like those.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I wasn't around for the Chaos Zero or PortraitofRuin (or whatever they were called) leaks. What did they describe as their source? I'm just curious to know what kind of relationship to the team they had, especially if it actually IS something like "Oh hey my friend worked on the game yo"
In the leak, Chaos_Zero didn't mention who the source was (in this thread, he did say he knew someone indirectly working on the game) and didn't mention their relationship to the team. I can't say for certain on PortraitofRuin as no record of her thread remains, but no secondary sources I can find mention her mentioning who her source was or their relationship to the team either.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I just like well-made posts here and responses, always greatly appreciated. :)

The sad fact is that most people just go for the characters when it comes to leaks, so we'll rarely see types of leaks like those.
I like leaks with more than just characters and stages. Talking about new modes, bosses, minigames - the works. Even if they're fake, they're at least a lot more fun to read.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I love how they make the "bold" prediction about March having no character reveals... when there's only 2 update days left.

Hey Mr. Leaker, why didn't you tell that to everyone days ago?

Last edited:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
I believe Chaos_Zero actually did have a friend working on the game, described as a "credible source". A while ago in this thread I think I remember him saying he had a friend who was actually working on SSBB, but this time around that friend isn't working on the game.

PoR on the other hand I think was just an insider in general. She's leaked a ton of stuff before super smash bros (Castlevania).

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If I recall correctly, PortraitofRuin's was in a NeoGAF thread dedicated to General Brawl Discussion. She made some coy post that implied she had info, then, when pressed, was willing to admit the number of characters, stages, as well as that Sonic was " a b**** to unlock." Someone who was more active pre-Brawl could probably provide a better description.

Also, too many people have remembered there being a Cucco leak for there not to have been one. The most likely scenario is that someone just posted the link to it on GameFAQs without knowing that GameFAQs Mods have a moronic zero tolerance policy for "leaks" while simultaneously allowing thousands of other troll threads and stupid forum games to flood the board en masse.

Considering its prominence in LoZ and its item status in that one Flash fangame, the Cucco could have been guessed with relative ease, so that leak's loss isn't too regrettable. But yeah, make sure to copy over the entire text next time, instead of just posting a link.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
The original Golden Sun is amongst the headline lineup of GBA titles announced to hit WiiU in the next couple weeks alongside Mario Kirby Metroid Advance Wars and FZero.... seems pretty good sign that they're not letting the franchise disappear
+ Dark Dawn came out relatively recently
+ obv Isacc was there in Brawl as an assist and as a critically successful Nintendo franchise it's liking a rep which with the precedent of Little Mac he could be upgraded to
+ the Djinn allow for a pretty cool moveset to differ from the usual sword wielders

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Did we discuss this? looks pretty worthless to me. For now I'm calling this the "Sorry Leak". :)

There are costumes.

Sorry it was so short.

What a very convenient time to say "there are no returning characters or newcomers left for March) since the month is about to end.

That plus the playable Isaac is what I'm most suspicious of in this leak. If there is indeed no character reveal tonight or on the 31st, then I suppose we should keep on a eye on this one for a while longer.

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Those new game announcements are E3 worthy. This leak also took the "guess which character comes next crap".

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
What a very convenient time to say "there are no returning characters or newcomers left for March) since the month is about to end.

That plus the playable Isaac is what I'm most suspicious of in this leak. If there is indeed no character reveal tonight or on the 31st, then I suppose we should keep on a eye on this one for a while longer.
Now watch, we'll get a character tomorrow or Monday, and this leaker will just be like "Well, ****."

Shroob

Sup?
If I recall correctly, PortraitofRuin's was in a NeoGAF thread dedicated to General Brawl Discussion. She made some coy post that implied she had info, then, when pressed, was willing to admit the number of characters, stages, as well as that Sonic was " a b**** to unlock." Someone who was more active pre-Brawl could probably provide a better description.

Also, too many people have remembered there being a Cucco leak for there not to have been one. The most likely scenario is that someone just posted the link to it on GameFAQs without knowing that GameFAQs Mods have a moronic zero tolerance policy for "leaks" while simultaneously allowing thousands of other troll threads and stupid forum games to flood the board en masse.

Considering its prominence in LoZ and its item status in that one Flash fangame, the Cucco could have been guessed with relative ease, so that leak's loss isn't too regrettable. But yeah, make sure to copy over the entire text next time, instead of just posting a link.
It may not have existed, you know. One person says they remember it, then from memory fragments that never existed, someone else claims to have remembered it too, until suddenly a large handful of people 'remember' it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom