• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Could have said that about Little Mac. Could say that about Ridley, too.

"Missing their chance" doesn't apply.
Little Mac's position was very different this time round, having had a recent game sell particularly well on the Wii. Therefore this isn't applicable to Little Mac. As far as Ridley goes, he's a rumour and nothing else right now. Sakurai didn't include him as a character in Brawl, and beyond his clone's appearance in Other M he hasn't been particularly relevant since. I personally doubt he'll be included, but others would disagree. He's far from a certainty.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I don't think we've seen the biggest curveball because the curveballs have always been released as unlockable secret characters (G&W, ROB).

IMO, any leak that doesn't have a true curveball is immediately dismissible for that reason alone, unless Sakurai bucks the trend this time out.

Something like "The Floating Head of Dr. Kawashima" or the Virtual Boy...

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Well does anyone think we may get info when the Wii U gba games start to drop next month?
Notable titles include Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion, Warioware, F-Zero, Golden Sun, and Yoshi's Island.

Personally I hope Sakurai not only reveals a character that wasn't on any of the leaks, but turns either mii, Pacman, or Plateuna (most likely mii) into an assist trophy. I'm tired of seeing all these old leaks pop up and something like that would kill so many of them.

NOTE: I have nothing against Plateuna, but I'm sooooo tired of seeing these circular arguments and they wont go away until the leaks are officially dead (or Confirmed....but mostly dead).

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Little Mac's position was very different this time round, having had a recent game sell particularly well on the Wii. Therefore this isn't applicable to Little Mac. As far as Ridley goes, he's a rumour and nothing else right now. Sakurai didn't include him as a character in Brawl, and beyond his clone's appearance in Other M he hasn't been particularly relevant since. I personally doubt he'll be included, but others would disagree. He's far from a certainty.
Eh, it still applies to the situation. You could have also said the same thing about Villager, seeing as how his game was repped by everyone but him as NPCs, an AT, a Stage, and an Item, and also had 2 pretty good selling games before Brawl.

This is not about the Sonic franchise anymore! Five representatives from one franchise is as much as we've had so far, so we really don't need a sixth mario character, because that would make the Mario franchise bowl over.

There are no words...

EDIT:

Well does anyone think we may get info when the Wii U gba games start to drop next month?
Notable titles include Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion, Warioware, F-Zero, Golden Sun, and Yoshi's Island.
Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we've seen the biggest curveball because the curveballs have always been released as unlockable secret characters (G&W, ROB).

IMO, any leak that doesn't have a true curveball is immediately dismissible for that reason alone, unless Sakurai bucks the trend this time out.

Something like "The Floating Head of Dr. Kawashima" or the Virtual Boy...
or Tin Star.....just saying.....

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
TOO BIG LAWLS TOO OP
CANT BE PLAYABLE ALREADY A STAGE HAZARD GUH HUH
Let me quote a philosopher:

“Pic of the day. This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. the Smash Bros. series doesn’t always stay true to scale.” - SAKURAI, Masahiro

EDIT:
Sorry if I'm going off topic.

Last edited:

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard

Personally I hope Sakurai not only reveals a character that wasn't on any of the leaks, but turns either mii, Pacman, or Plateuna (most likely mii) into an assist trophy. I'm tired of seeing all these old leaks pop up and something like that would kill so many of them.

NOTE: I have nothing against Plateuna, but I'm sooooo tired of seeing these circular arguments and they wont go away until the leaks are officially dead (or Confirmed....but mostly dead).
Placing my bets on Wario for Apr 10.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Let me quote a philosopher:

“Pic of the day. This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. the Smash Bros. series doesn’t always stay true to scale.” - SAKURAI, Masahiro

EDIT:
Sorry if I'm going off topic.
I'm just imitating the detractors.
I'm a HUGE Ridley fan myself.
(giggles)

Last edited:

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
No one remembers the "2 out of 3" rumor? Since Geno is as unlikely as a second Sonic rep, I think Issac's a good shot.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Could have said that about Little Mac. Could say that about Ridley, too.

"Missing their chance" doesn't apply.
Metroid is a long-standing Nintendo franchise. One that Nintendo personally considers a "top franchise". The main villain from it (well, he's sorta the main villain), hasn't missed the boat at any time IMO.
Little Mac got a game release since Brawl...

I also don't believe that Isaac is even the main character for Golden Sun anymore is he?

This is not about the Sonic franchise anymore! Five representatives from one franchise is as much as we've had so far, so we really don't need a sixth mario character, because that would make the Mario franchise bowl over.
If we get technical, Pokemon had 6 playable characters in Brawl, and is likely to get at least 7 this time. Mario makes Nintendo bucket loads of money, is ridiculously popular and still has several characters that would make great fighters. Toad is unquestionably the most iconic Nintendo character that is not playable in the game. IMO he's a must-have (I'm sure Sakurai can come up with a viable moveset for him).

I also think a 6th Mario rep is very, very likely. If not on the disc-based game, a Mario character would no doubt be the first DLC character they did.

T

Trick or Treat

If you must know

1 he's the first robot character (megaman is the second)

2 he's the first real world character (our world)

3 he's a retro and this guys are locks (and from evidence plausable Mach rider could be the 5th but I'm doubtful about It though)

4 believe it or not he got in the same marth and ness got in the series

5 he's extremely loved in usa and more importantly japan so tht favors him (even though mac prove it might be equal this time)

6 R.O.B moveset is easy to implent due to robotic movements

So basicly the only reason rob coud be kicked is because of time contrast
1. What does that matter?

2. What does that matter?

3. Who says they are locks? At this point in time, it's still just as possible that Ice Climbers, G&W, etc could still be cut. I hope not, but they aren't locks. Nobody's a lock until they're confirmed.

4. Huh? I can't make out what this one says, sorry.

5. So was/is Mewtwo, but he was cut from Brawl. Sure, it was probably just time constraints, but the point is that being loved doesn't save you all the time.

6. So what if it's easy?

I'm not saying that he's extremely likely to be cut, I'm just saying that he's one of the more likely ones. If I were to take the list of remaining Brawl vets that haven't been confirmed yet, he'd almost always be towards the top of the "To Cut" list.

So basically it's entirely plausible. It's not like we know for a fact that the 'trend' will continue (since three games isn't really enough to pinpoint any so-called patterns or trends), so it's very possible that our curveball is just WFT. So I wouldn't dismiss a leak just because the rest of the characters aren't curvy.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If ROB is the most important Nintendo character ever made, why would he be cut for no reason?

Time restraints and deadline issues, maybe, but that's about it.

T

Trick or Treat

If ROB is the most important Nintendo character ever made, why would he be cut for no reason?

Time restraints and deadline issues, maybe, but that's about it.
If he's so important to Nintendo, why did it take 3 games for him to make it into Smash Bros?

Last edited by a moderator:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
The best argument against ROB being cut is originality, I think.

His moveset is very different from the rest of the characters, so why shouldn't he be included while guys like Toon Link are returning?

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Metroid is a long-standing Nintendo franchise. One that Nintendo personally considers a "top franchise". The main villain from it (well, he's sorta the main villain), hasn't missed the boat at any time IMO.
Little Mac got a game release since Brawl...
I was just giving hypotheticals about characters to try and disprove your "missed his chance" argument. I'm not against Ridley's inclusion.

I also don't believe that Isaac is even the main character for Golden Sun anymore is he?
Technically his son Matthew is now.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If he's so important to Nintendo, why did it take 3 games for him to make it into Smash Bros?
You could say the same thing about Wario and Diddy. Dedede and Meta Knight, too.

None of whom would exist if ROB didn't exist, by the way.

Last edited:

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
I think Toon Link solidifies the majority of the Brawl roster returning. In terms of clones I think he was the most similar to Link. With each Smash Bros the clones are tweaked just a little to differ from their originals more. Lucas, Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf were all closer to being their own character. So i'm expecting them to return, albeit w/ even small tweaks (Ganondorf in particular). So I don't see the development team cutting any original characters except for Snake..

I remember Sakurai saying something to the effect that the number of characters wasn't the primary focus, but rather bringing something fresh to the series. So I expect more unique characters, tweaks to existing clones and the return of all previous original characters.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
You could say the same thing about Wario and Diddy. Dedede and Meta Knight, too.
I was just about to say this.

People who want or expect ROB to get cut have the "I don't like him so he should be cut" mentality, which is a completely arbitrary non-argument.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
The best argument against ROB being cut is originality, I think.

His moveset is very different from the rest of the characters, so why shouldn't he be included while guys like Toon Link are returning?
Because a tooned version of Link is actually important to Zelda in general, clones are easier to develop too so it doesn't take as much of time either to make them.

Shroob

Sup?
I think Toon Link solidifies the majority of the Brawl roster returning. In terms of clones I think he was the most similar to Link. With each Smash Bros the clones are tweaked just a little to differ from their originals more. Lucas, Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf were all closer to being their own character. So i'm expecting them to return, albeit w/ even small tweaks (Ganondorf in particular). So I don't see the development team cutting any original characters except for Snake..

I remember Sakurai saying something to the effect that the number of characters wasn't the primary focus, but rather bringing something fresh to the series. So I expect more unique characters, tweaks to existing clones and the return of all previous original characters.
People keep saying Toon Link solidifies most of Brawl's roster, but I disagree. Sakurai views having 2 Links a necessity, despite them being clones, so I wouldn't say it means anything...

And Lucario was just people being dumb. With how heavily Gamefreak was promoting him not even "Muh relevancy" was a good argument.

T

Trick or Treat

Not really. For one, their franchises were already represented. Dedede was originally planned for Melee, and I THINK (if I remember correctly) Smash 64. I also believe that somewhere it was stated that Sakurai didn't want to give special treatment to the Kirby franchise, at least not at first. Not 100% about that, but honestly it doesn't matter.

If ROB was really that important to Nintendo, why was he not in Smash 64? That would've made the most sense, as it was obviously the closest to ROB's release.

Also that leak with 2 Namco reps is pretty much not going to happen. Leak.

Leak.

I was just about to say this.

People who want or expect ROB to get cut have the "I don't like him so he should be cut" mentality, which is a completely arbitrary non-argument.
Pulling stuff out of your ass, there, huh? Who here has that mentality, first of all? Obviously that's a bad mentality to have but...no one really has that mentality.

ROB is just one of the more likely characters to be cut, if anyone from Brawl HAD to be. That's just the reality of the situation. Not the most likely, but definitely up there.

Last edited by a moderator:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So basically it's entirely plausible. It's not like we know for a fact that the 'trend' will continue (since three games isn't really enough to pinpoint any so-called patterns or trends), so it's very possible that our curveball is just WFT. So I wouldn't dismiss a leak just because the rest of the characters aren't curvy.
That's why I added that qualifier, yes.

All we have is speculation and we base that speculation on trends (even brief ones). Since Sakurai has had a curveball in the past two SSB games (and you could argue that Ness is a curveball from SSB64), I think it's reasonable to assume that, yes, there will be an unrevealed curveball in there somewhere.

WFT is still less of a curveball than ROB because ROB is the first piece of video game hardware to be featured as playable in a SSB game.

So yeah, I'd lean toward leaks with a curveball for that reason. The leaks during Melee had G&W on the list and most of us were like "HELL NO!".

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I was just giving hypotheticals about characters to try and disprove your "missed his chance" argument. I'm not against Ridley's inclusion.

Technically his son Matthew is now.
Yeah that's what I thought... Don't get me wrong though, I'd love Isaac to be included.

T

Trick or Treat

Great we have a new language that doesn't change the fact were still off-topic. :U
Hey we should all try to find the Cucco leak again.

But everyone should search every page, to minimize the chance of accidentally missing it.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
Two Links a necessity? How so? I would understand if they were entirely different characters but honestly Toon Link is just a faster link. I prefered Young Link. At least he had fire arrows.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Two Links a necessity? How so? I would understand if they were entirely different characters but honestly Toon Link is just a faster link. I prefered Young Link. At least he had fire arrows.
I never liked Toon Leak or Young Leak. I thought regular Leak was enough.

If we were going to have another Leak, I would've preferred the Leak design from "Leak to the Past".

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Sakurai's gone on record to say he likes having two Links in the game. Maybe it's due to the Child/Adult timeline, who knows.

T

Trick or Treat

That's why I added that qualifier, yes.

All we have is speculation and we base that speculation on trends (even brief ones). Since Sakurai has had a curveball in the past two SSB games (and you could argue that Ness is a curveball from SSB64), I think it's reasonable to assume that, yes, there will be an unrevealed curveball in there somewhere.

WFT is still less of a curveball than ROB because ROB is the first piece of video game hardware to be featured as playable in a SSB game.

So yeah, I'd lean toward leaks with a curveball for that reason. The leaks during Melee had G&W on the list and most of us were like "HELL NO!".
I think you meant to quote me on that one.

I understand that, and yes it makes sense. However, there's still no reason to immediately dismiss a leak just because it doesn't have any curveballs on it. WFT might not be as much of a curve as ROB, but why do you assume that Smash 4's curveball has to for some reason one-up ROB on the curveball scale? A curveball's a curveball. And if WFT is considered a curveball, it's entirely likely that she's the only one.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If ROB was really that important to Nintendo, why was he not in Smash 64? That would've made the most sense, as it was obviously the closest to ROB's release.
Are you arguing ROB's overall importance? Because he enabled video games to be marketed as toys, which saved the industry in a time where video games were new and people were wary.

We wouldn't be able to enjoy Smash if it weren't for ROB because none of the franchises would have been created. The entire industry would have tanked 30 years ago if not for ROB. You're arguing against something that happened 30 years ago that enabled characters like Kirby and Pikachu to be created.

Mario, too, now that I think about it. MARIO wouldn't exist if not for ROB.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

I understand that, and yes it makes sense. However, there's still no reason to immediately dismiss a leak just because it doesn't have any curveballs on it. WFT might not be as much of a curve as ROB, but why do you assume that Smash 4's curveball has to for some reason one-up ROB on the curveball scale? A curveball's a curveball. And if WFT is considered a curveball, it's entirely likely that she's the only one.
I did, and HOW does this keep happening? :(

Well, I didn't say any leak should be outright dismissed, just that I'd lean toward leaks with a character that makes us go "No way...".

Maybe he's just run out of curveballs so he did consider the WFT to be the curveball.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The Cucco leak is probably not worth searching for anyways.

I never liked Toon Leak or Young Leak. I thought regular Leak was enough.

If we were going to have another Leak, I would've preferred the Leak design from "Leak to the Past".
I did, and HOW does this keep happening? :(

Well, I didn't say any leak should be outright dismissed, just that I'd lean toward leaks with a character that makes us go "No way...".

Maybe he's just run out of curveballs so he did consider the WFT to be the curveball.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Reg Link was too slow for my tastes so I always used I Young Link in his place. BrawI's Link seemed even slower so I never used him either. I prefer speed and maneuverability.
Oh, I definitely agree that Young/Toon Leak were faster and basically better characters than adult Leak.

As a huge Zelda fan at the time, Leak stabbing his younger self never really sat right with me. :\

Last edited:
I wouldn't correlate the timing of a Smash debut with the character's importance to Nintendo. If each Smash game adds characters of diminishing importance, what would be exciting about Smash 4 newcomers? We would be inching closer to marginal characters. Further, would characters like Dr. Mario, Pichu and Roy be more important than Wario or Meta Knight since the formers made it in first?

R.O.B. is forever a milestone in Nintendo's history, and a late appearance in the Smash series doesn't take away from that.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I wouldn't correlate the timing of a Smash debut with the character's importance to Nintendo. If each Smash game adds characters of diminishing importance, what would be exciting about Smash 4 newcomers? We would be inching closer to marginal characters. Further, would characters like Dr. Mario, Pichu and Roy be more important than Wario or Meta Knight since the formers made it in first?

R.O.B. is forever a milestone in Nintendo's history, and a late appearance in the Smash series doesn't take away from that.
The amount of time and development resources also play into how many characters and how original each one will be.

I know this seems off topic, but we're trying to establish the parameters for what makes a leak more or less likely to be genuine and examining past trends helps with that tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom