• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
This is where your argument falls apart.
How big is a 4 second video file with today's modern compression standards?

Okay, I'll answer a rhetorical question: less than half a MB. I honestly don't even know if 2chan allows video uploads (I believe they use rapidshare and other services like it) but thousands of 2channers could've still downloaded and redistributed video.

Look, I already said that it proves nothing either way, only that I don't see why more people don't leak video.

Can we let this die already?

And these sentences were only a line apart from each other:
A lot of these leaks are posted on forums and then picked up by news outlets.
Why would a news site claim its real when it was posted on a forum? They have no idea.
I'm not even going to bother...

Last edited:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Well, he managed to do it, somehow.

Unless your response is sarcastic, and you're making fun of me.
Sarcastic yes, making fun of you no. Not knowing that is perfectly sensible, I just thought some might find my post humorous.... or in other words, take a look at the quoting of your post that I did and read a smidge more carefully this time =D

As for the so called leak above, the two Namco reps makes it insta-fake. Also what an arbitrary thing for a leaker to do, to list franchise reps like that. Seems like someone who just wants to laugh at the fanbase.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Sarcastic yes, making fun of you no. Not knowing that is perfectly sensible, I just thought some might find my post humorous.... or in other words, take a look at the quoting of your post that I did and read a smidge more carefully this time =D
...Oh, I see you messed up my quote. Now I get it. :laugh:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's no way Nintendo would release a game this big without months and months of advertising.
I'd readily agree if we weren't talking about Nintendo.

However, I still doubt it will come out then. I read this article at the start of the year that asked various game developers their New Year's Resolutions. Sakurai's was "I promise to have Smash Bros out by the end of 2014", which implies there is some doubt in his own mind and that he will have to work extra hard to meet the deadline.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
How big is a 4 second video file with today's modern compression standards?

Okay, I'll answer a rhetorical question: less than half a MB. I honestly don't even know if 2chan allows video uploads (I believe they use rapidshare and other services like it) but thousands of 2channers could've still downloaded and redistributed video.

Look, I already said that it proves nothing either way, only that I don't see why more people don't leak video.

Can we let this die already?

And these sentences were only a line apart from each other:

I'm not even going to bother...
Oh man. Ok. I know what I'm dealing with now.

But just for your sake...not mine..how are those sentences contradictory? Think long and hard about it. Think about what the difference is between reporting on a story/rumor/leak vs. putting your reputation and legitimacy on the line and claiming its fact.

Ill even help:

Hey did you hear about this cool rumor?
vs
Hey this cool rumor is true!

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
K leak time: http://boards.4chan.org/v/res/237193447

Hey guys, here with some Smash Bros. Wii U / 3ds news.
I know the full roster, the game's roster was completed months ago.
Instead of revealing character names I instead have decided to just do it based on # of reps for each franchise. Also, before anyone asks, "Lul, why 4chans?" Simply put: I've been a lurker here for many years I'm anonymous.

So here goes (I'm not counting transformations as reps, if any):
>5 Mario reps
>5 Zelda reps
>5 Pokémon reps
>3 Donkey Kong reps
>3 Kirby reps
>3 Fire Emblem reps
>3 Star Fox reps
>2 Kid Icarus reps
>2 Earthbound reps
>2 Metroid reps
>2 Namco reps
>10 Solo reps

Roster is stacked. Only a few characters were cut/replaced.

GUESSING TIME. Here goes, I'll try to crack the characters.

Mario reps:
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Rosalina

Zelda reps:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ghirahim

Pokemon reps:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo

Donkey Kong reps:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong (I want K. Rool but, I feel like Dixie will get in before him)

Kirby reps:
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight

Fire Emblem reps:
Marth
Ike
Chrom

Star Fox reps:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Kid Icarus reps:
Pit
Palutena

Earthbound reps:
Ness
Lucas

Metroid reps:
Samus
Ridley

Namco reps:
Pac Man
Goku
Yoshimitsu (I'm guessing him because he represents both Tekken and Soul Calibur, he's also quirky and my main so I have a bias :O)

Solo reps:
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
ROB

Little Mac
Villager
Mega Man
Sonic
Mr. G&W
Olimar
Ghirahim? lol Good one.

Syroco

Smash Apprentice
@Above leak: 2 Namco reps kills it. They aren't getting special treatment, according to Sakurai.
Two reps is hardly "special treatment." Besides, the director for pretty much every single Tales of games (Yo****o Higuchi) is co-directing the new Smash Bros. alongside Sakurai.

Pac-Man and a Tales of rep makes perfect sense. Mr. Higuchi is even quoted as saying that he'd love to have a Tales rep in the new SSB. It could always replace Snake's slot...

it's censoring Y O S H I T O.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Why Ghirahim?
Yeah I don't understand how anyone seriously believes Ghirahim is going to be playable. It's either gonna be Toon Zelda or Tingle, nobody else even has a chance at being a new Zelda rep. Please don't start a debate out of this though, not the place. For the moment I'm just assuming there won't be one so that i can be pleasantly surprised if it's Tingle and generally "meh" if it's Toon Zelda.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
But that's just it: it's actually EASIER to capture video than it is to take a picture...

1. Start smartphone recording video.

2. Put phone in pocket.

3. As you walk by whatever you want to record, pull out the phone and hold it up for a moment. This requires no tapping of the screen to take a picture or waiting while the phone figures out its camera software.

4. Return phone to pocket.

5. Share leak on internet.

A high res image file and a low res movie file are practically going to be the same size. I just don't see it being any harder to leak video these days...
Yes....then Sakurai catches the guy and makes a phone call and when that employee is done his hours for the day and steps out the office to the car lot.

sniper-scope-8764548511015776084.png

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'd readily agree if we weren't talking about Nintendo.

However, I still doubt it will come out then. I read this article at the start of the year that asked various game developers their New Year's Resolutions. Sakurai's was "I promise to have Smash Bros out by the end of 2014", which implies there is some doubt in his own mind and that he will have to work extra hard to meet the deadline.
Well, Pikmin 3 got some advertisement. I'd imagine a huge game like Smash would get much more advertisement.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

Instead of revealing character names I instead have decided to just do it based on # of reps for each franchise. Also, before anyone asks, "Lul, why 4chans?" Simply put: I've been a lurker here for many years I'm anonymous.

>5 Mario reps
>5 Zelda reps
>5 Pokémon reps
>3 Donkey Kong reps
>3 Kirby reps
>3 Fire Emblem reps
>3 Star Fox reps
>2 Kid Icarus reps
>2 Earthbound reps
>2 Metroid reps
>2 Namco reps
>10 Solo reps

Mario reps:
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Rosalina

Zelda reps:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ghirahim

Pokemon reps:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo

Donkey Kong reps:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong

Kirby reps:
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight

Fire Emblem reps:
Marth
Ike
Chrom

Star Fox reps:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Kid Icarus reps:
Pit
Palutena

Earthbound reps:
Ness
Lucas

Metroid reps:
Samus
Ridley

Namco reps:
Pac Man
Goku
Yoshimitsu (I'm guessing him because he represents both Tekken and Soul Calibur, he's also quirky and my main so I have a bias :O)

Solo reps:
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
ROB

Little Mac
Villager
Mega Man
Sonic
Mr. G&W
Olimar
Sounds diasppointingly right, except for 2 Namco reps.

And I'm kinda hoping it isn't Pac-Man (though I highly suspect it will be), especially after seeing his new design, blech:
http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/mig/5/4/5/6/2285456-PacMan1_56375_screen.jpg

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Smash_Brother, I'm done arguing with you. You talk about file sizes and continue to ignore that a video requires the user to post across two sites rather than the one, exponentially increasing risk and senseless for someone who was clearly concerned enough to rapidly delete his post. Your argument ran out of legs to stand on a page ago. Keep grasping at straws with cubicles and file sizes and pocket videos, but in the end for somebody in a precarious position legally (having signed a non-disclosure agreement, I would believe) a video makes no sense as opposed to a photograph.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
Because he's fabulous.
Because this "leaker" posted his dream roster and Ghirahim is on it knows that Ghirahim is in SSB4.
That wasn't the leak though, I was taking a jab at the possibilities :p

I don't think we will be getting THAT many protagonists in the game...

If I replaced Ghirahim with Tingle/T.Zelda, the only newcomer that is a villain would be Ridley.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Two reps is hardly "special treatment." Besides, the director for pretty much every single Tales of games (Yo****o Higuchi) is co-directing the new Smash Bros. alongside Sakurai.

Pac-Man and a Tales of rep makes perfect sense. Mr. Higuchi is even quoted as saying that he'd love to have a Tales rep in the new SSB. It could always replace Snake's slot...

it's censoring Y O S H I T O.
If Yoshi and Captain Falcon don't get two reps, no third party is going to get better treatment than YOSHI.

Sonic will most likely be solo as well, so two Namco reps would be special treatment.

Last edited:

Syroco

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I don't understand how anyone seriously believes Ghirahim is going to be playable. It's either gonna be Toon Zelda or Tingle, nobody else even has a chance at being a new Zelda rep. Please don't start a debate out of this though, not the place. For the moment I'm just assuming there won't be one so that i can be pleasantly surprised if it's Tingle and generally "meh" if it's Toon Zelda.
Yeah, I really don't see your reasoning.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I think Klonoa has a better chance than Yoshimitsu, honestly. I don't think Sakurai's interested in characters who were from fighting games to begin with unless their moveset really brings something new and original to the table.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

As for the so called leak above, the two Namco reps makes it insta-fake. Also what an arbitrary thing for a leaker to do, to list franchise reps like that. Seems like someone who just wants to laugh at the fanbase.
It seems like the forum sometimes carries posts or quotes from page to page. I didn't realize it had done this. At least, I think that's what happened. /shrug

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Because he's fabulous.
Because this "leaker" posted his dream roster and Ghirahim is on it knows that Ghirahim is in SSB4.
I always only felt that he would be an unlikely candidate, but that's what my realistic side was thinking.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Tingle is the only character aside from the main trio (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf) with several appearances throughout the timeline and his own games.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Smash_Brother, I'm done arguing with you.
I think it's for the best.

Sorry we couldn't seem to understand each other, but at least you were civil about it.

If Namco got 2 reps I think it'd be Pacman and Lloyd Irving.
I honestly thought Lloyd might be a better choice than Pac-Man, given that they're currently hyping the ToS rerelease, but they've also announced a new Pac-Man game that'll be on WiiU and 3DS, soo....

I think Klonoa has a better chance than Yoshimitsu, honestly. I don't think Sakurai's interested in characters who were from fighting games to begin with unless their moveset really brings something new and original to the table.
I thought I read somewhere that he specifically did NOT want fighting game characters.

It would be kinda redundant and it would defeat the purpose of SSB. After all, SSB was kind of a send-up of games like Street Fighter with a Nintendo twist. It just wouldn't be right to have, say, Ryu in the game when SSB was arguably making fun of Ryu's game in the first place.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I think it's for the best.

Sorry we couldn't seem to understand each other, but at least you were civil about it.

I honestly thought Lloyd might be a better choice than Pac-Man, given that they're currently hyping the ToS rerelease, but they've also announced a new Pac-Man game that'll be on WiiU and 3DS, soo....

I thought I read somewhere that he specifically did NOT want fighting game characters.

It would be kinda redundant and it would defeat the purpose of SSB. After all, SSB was kind of a send-up of games like Street Fighter with a Nintendo twist. It just wouldn't be right to have, say, Ryu in the game when SSB was arguably making fun of Ryu's game in the first place.
I always thought Lloyd would bring more to Smash Bros than Pacman ever could.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice

>5 Mario reps
>5 Zelda reps
>5 Pokémon reps
>3 Donkey Kong reps
>3 Kirby reps
>3 Fire Emblem reps
>3 Star Fox reps
>2 Kid Icarus reps
>2 Earthbound reps
>2 Metroid reps
>2 Namco reps
>10 Solo reps

Mario reps:
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Rosalina

Zelda reps:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ghirahim

Pokemon reps:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo

Donkey Kong reps:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong

Kirby reps:
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight

Fire Emblem reps:
Marth
Ike
Chrom

Star Fox reps:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Kid Icarus reps:
Pit
Palutena

Earthbound reps:
Ness
Lucas

Metroid reps:
Samus
Ridley

Namco reps:
Pac Man
Goku

Solo reps:
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
ROB

Little Mac
Villager
Mega Man
Sonic
Mr. G&W
Olimar
What about Wario?

T

Trick or Treat

Quick note. While it definitely is more sensible to just take a snapshot, it is still physically easier to take a video, since you can just do the pocket method. Take it out, point, in two seconds your done. Just to show the new character on the same screen as an old one, animated. It really doesn't have to be anything more than that.

I'm not talking about Palutena, I'm just talking in general. But for the purpose that this guy was going for with the pictures, it does seem like that was the better option.

There's also the classic Sleeve Maneuver for even quicker and less conspicuous leakage. But that helps both pictures and videos.

There's no way Nintendo would release a game this big without months and months of advertising.
PotD and Nintendo Directs are enough. SSB4 is one of the biggest games out there, it doesn't even need advertising. Definitely not "months and months", at that. I will continue to stand firm with my feeling that SSB4 will come out in April or May. June is the latest. But that's for another thread.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Meh, Palutena leak is fake. The staffs are different sizes in the leak and on the Kid Icarus stage statue.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Meh, Palutena leak is fake. The staffs are different sizes in the leak and on the Kid Icarus stage statue.
...I sincerely hope you aren't serious with this post.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I always thought Lloyd would bring more to Smash Bros than Pacman ever could.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the other thing: I feel like Pac-Man is a relic that just didn't age well (insert people comparing Sonic here :p ) and has just always been, well...there.

In his latest game, he apparently puts on different hats when he eats enemies (ala Kirby) and one of them even gives him a Yoshi tongue.

There's also the fact that Pac-Man never had any kind of story behind it. He's just a yellow ball that eats ghosts.

Lloyd, on the other hand, would be awesome and hopefully bring with him a bevy of assist trophies from ToS.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
...I sincerely hope you aren't serious with this post.
Only semi serious. Tell my why nintendo wouldn't just use the same model for Palutena in battle and her statue? They are making two games. They need to save as much time as they can.

Shroob

Sup?
Only semi serious. Tell my why nintendo wouldn't just use the same model for Palutena in battle and her statue? They are making two games. They need to save as much time as they can.
In a loose sense of it, couldn't you say the same about DK and 75mm DK?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
In a loose sense of it, couldn't you say the same about DK and 75mm DK?
No..... well.... no. Thats Cranky Kong. loophole achieved. nice try though. I had to think about it.

Plus. I'm not saying Palutena isn't in the game. That leak may just be fake.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

Here's the thing. IF the picture is real, she's either:

A). Very early in development, because it's pretty clearly not a finalized character, going by how unnatural and awkward she looks next to Mario. This would also explain why her model might look slightly different than the statue.

B). Or she's an Assist Trophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
He's a one-off boss character. He's not even the final boss. He was pretty heavily promoted, sure, and he's fun to fight and has a lot of personality, but there's absolutely no precedent for a character like that, from any series, getting into Smash Bros. There are only two Smash characters who have only been in one game from their franchise, and that's Ness and Lucas. And they were the main protagonists of the games they appeared in. Ghirahim is not an "all star". Not even within the Zelda franchise. He's just one of a handful of interesting characters from the most recent 3D game that the community has latched onto ever since he appeared in the very first (fake) Smash 4 leak. A character of equivalent stature in the Mario series would be Dimentio or Fawful, and you never see leaks with them playable, because even "leakers" acknowledge that would be absurd.

Say what you like about Tingle, but he's iconic, and was at one point popular enough in some parts of the world to have his own series, making him much more of an "all star" than pretty much every Zelda character that isn't already in Smash. Give it time, and after the next 3D Zelda comes out, there will be another fan favorite side character people think is gonna be in Smash, and most people will forget all about Ghirahim the same way they forgot about Midna and Zant after neither of those characters showed up in Brawl. Ghirahim is fabulous though, I'll give him that. But if people are that eager for a colorful, flamboyant, somewhat rapey Zelda character, I know just the man.

Tingle would be awesome.
We need more Tingle leaks.
Here, here. That's why the Katakana leak is my favorite so far. It had Tingle.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

>5 Mario reps
>5 Zelda reps
>5 Pokémon reps
>3 Donkey Kong reps
>3 Kirby reps
>3 Fire Emblem reps
>3 Star Fox reps
>2 Kid Icarus reps
>2 Earthbound reps
>2 Metroid reps
>2 Namco reps
>10 Solo reps

This is so f***ing stupid. Why bother leaking anything if you're not going to name names?

Also, 2 Namco characters is total bullcrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom