• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
And by that I mean announcements with trailers. SB4 had the same treatment. One off-handed 'announcement' and then a trailer a year later, with a release date set for TBA.

And when the Wii U was made to run Zelda U, you'd think they'd have given us a peak of it besides that HD 'demo' 2 years ago at E3 2012.
First off, SSB4 was announced at E3 2011. The trailer appeared last year, TWO years after it's announcement. And yeah, it's coming out this year (we hope).

Zelda U was technically announced at E3 2011 too. It was going to be shown at E3 2013 but Nintendo decided against it; they wanted more time to work on it. They were going to show it at NYCC too but Aonuma spoke about A Link Between Worlds instead. Then he confirmed we're going to hear more about it this E3. While I'm not sure if we're getting the game this year, it's not entirely out of the possibility considering the game was going to be shown last year.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. One question: is that a harp in the far right of today's PotD?

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
We are getting Hyrule Warriors this year. Possibly during the holidays. So I don't know where they expect the Wii U Smash to be placed. I don't think both will come out at the same time.

Last edited:

Gaxel

Smash Ace
It better be fake, I plan on buying Mario Kart 8 on May 31st, and Super Smash Bros in November. I need time to get some more money.
Let's take it a step further.. What if Nintendo themselves made models for Palutena and then made the leaks just to make everyone think Palutena was going to be playable and then have it turn out she's still only Pit's FS.
What if Nintendo wanted to make a leak because they were the only people in the world to not do it so, they modeled a new Palutena by scratch just to make a leak.

So, people start believing that Palutena is either a playable character or assist trophy... THEN, BAM.

Palutena doesn't appear in Smash Bros whatsoever and not even in Pit's FS, they use the statue as her representation but Medusa or Hades is the newcomer.

mind=blown

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Maybe they don't want to comprimze there location, a video also records sounds and harder to make sure you don't get any of the environment around you in the vid.
You can easily remove sound from a video.

Sound isn't what we're after, either. We want to see Palutena moving around on screen and fighting. There is no circumstance in which someone would "only be able to get a picture". We don't live in that age any longer.

Screenshots with no video points more toward fake than anything.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
If Nintendo made this leak just to be false is really terrible business planning.
They would never, ever do something like this.

They hate rumors. They're not going to spend money to pay people to propagate more of them.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Now, this may seem strange, but is it possible that the person who leaked this simply didn't know of the functionality of his phone or the features were locked in too deep? The user interface of phones can often be unwieldy, and it's possible this was a super quick opportunity where the difference between a button press (photo) and at least two or three (video) would make all the difference. I'm not saying it's definitely the case, but it's a possibility--not everyone is proficient in the same technologies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The arguing about Sonic characters in this thread shouldn't have happened in the first place. Stop bringing it up again.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Now, this may seem strange, but is it possible that the person who leaked this simply didn't know of the functionality of his phone or the features were locked in too deep? The user interface of phones can often be unwieldy, and it's possible this was a super quick opportunity where the difference between a button press (photo) and at least two or three (video) would make all the difference. I'm not saying it's definitely the case, but it's a possibility--not everyone is proficient in the same technologies.
I explained two pages back why video is easier to take than a screenshot. If a person was going to go in with the intention of capturing evidence of a character in the game, why would they do so without understanding how to work their own phone's media capture functionalities?

Either way, this would be HEAVILY grasping at straws.

Also, the "super quick opportunity" doesn't hold up to scrutiny because the person is obviously taking this picture VERY close to the screen of what we'd have to assume is a 3DS dev unit.

From there, the "hypothetical situations" are only going to become more and more insane.

A far more logical explanation is that someone made a Palutena model and made their fake on the 3DS because it's naturally blurrier and it's harder to spot a fake. Again, until we see a video, I'm calling fake.

This doesn't necessarily mean Palutena won't be a playable character, just that this is not a legit picture.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I explained two pages back why video is easier to take than a screenshot. If a person was going to go in with the intention of capturing evidence of a character in the game, why would they do so without understanding how to work their own phone's media capture functionalities?

Also, the "super quick opportunity" doesn't hold up to scrutiny because the person is obviously taking this picture VERY close to the screen of what we'd have to assume is a 3DS dev unit.

From there, the "hypothetical situations" are only going to become more and more insane.

A far more logical explanation is that someone made a Palutena model and made their fake on the 3DS because it's naturally blurrier and it's harder to spot a fake. Again, until we see a video, I'm calling fake.

This doesn't necessarily mean Palutena won't be a playable character, just that this is not a legit picture.
I think the fact that it wasn't debunked in a week like leaks normally are [Well, normally they take like, a day, maybe 3 days if good.] and the fact that it's Palutena really clouded many people's judgement. I even me someone who literally just used it wasn't debunked as a valid reason on Miiverse. I've tried 3 times, MisterVideoGaming has twice, it's really no use anymore if people are really going to come up with so many hypothetical situations.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think the fact that it wasn't debunked in a week like leaks normally are [Well, normally they take like, a day, maybe 3 days if good.] and the fact that it's Palutena really clouded many people's judgement. I even me someone who literally just used it wasn't debunked as a valid reason on Miiverse.
Yeah, and a lot of people want to see Palutena, hence why the faker picked her.

I'm surprised we haven't see any convincing RIdley fakes yet...

On another note, I'm putting my money on the 3rd 3rd party character being from Namco-Bandai, since the Tekken team is working on the game.

I'm not exactly a fan of Pac-Man, but he IS the most likely candidate. :\

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Considering how popular he seems to be, I'm surprised no one's tried to mock-up Takamaru yet, especially considering Samurai Warriors. Lip's got a bit more of an excuse, her only existing 3D model coming from a game with a heavily stylized artstyle...

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919

You explained *how* it would be easier, not why. Your logic unfortunately doesn't apply to everyone, and you also assume this dev was not under the eyes of other staff that may or may not have turned them in. I also don't remember any videos leaking from the Pokemon leaks a while back--Hawlucha was done with photos despite the same video technology being just as easy 6 months back.

The only way Occam's Razor satisfies a "it's fake" explanation largely stems from a user having their own Palutena (and Mario and Battlefield) models under lock and key, because if it was faked it was certainly not done from photoshop. If anything, if it turns out fake I'd say that's how they did it (which is also why I'm not calling it 100% real). It just feel like most of the people calling it fake are doing so based on model nitpicks, which also show up on official stuff too.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The simplest solution depends on how strong the security is at the devs. I've heard of projects where employees aren't allowed to bring in camera phones for example.

Last edited:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Hey... if I were them I would.
Well you aren't Nintendo. Sure, their marketing team is notoriously bad, but they aren't that bad.

There is literally no upside to distributing a leak like this. Two blurry photos showcasing a Palutena that looks off-model with awkward hand physics (although I guess we've seen that today with Sonic holding the club in the POTD) do not paint the brand in the best possible light. Not to mention that the only people who are going to see the pictures are the Smash-obsessed hyper nerds who are going to buy the game anyway. If they officially reveal her with a gorgeous trailer and carefully tailored screenshots, it achieves exactly what they're trying to accomplish. Leaking two random, low-quality screenshots does not. Talk about a complete lack of brand control.

I think we should really stop entertaining the idea that Nintendo themselves intentionally "leaked" the Palutena photos. It's completely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

You know, it's entirely possible that the leaker did in fact take a video of the leak and what we are seeing are just stills taken from the video. It would make sense for him to want to post pictures on an image board, and it is honestly better then video for strumming up controversy if that was his intention, not to mention it is easier for people to copy pictures then video if he was going to post and then remove something like he did.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Sound isn't what we're after, either. We want to see Palutena moving around on screen and fighting. There is no circumstance in which someone would "only be able to get a picture". We don't live in that age any longer.

How would you expect a person to take a video when he's surrounded, most likely by a good amount of people? It makes more sense to take the pictures.

If having no video leans towards fake...does that mean all of the questions toward the leak aren't worth anything? That doesn't make any sense. That STILL doesn't explain the models and where everything came from.

I'm not saying the person COULDN'T have created the pictures, but if that is the case, then they are absolutely positively out of this world with their skills. Not only is the Mario model spot on, but they have a completely unique Palutena model. They have two screen shots they would have had to create, with two different angles and poses for Palutena.

The clipping and hand issues aren't anything to bother with based on screenshots we've seen. The outline is consistent with Mario's, which would imply they're both playable.

The video v. screenshot concept is circumstantial, and it doesn't matter at this point because what we have here is a pair of screenshots. You have to look at those and determine what they are. Based on the evidence we have, they certainly appear to have a better chance at being real.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

How would you expect a person to take a video when he's surrounded, most likely by a good amount of people? It makes more sense to take the pictures.
Depends what they use. With an iPhone, for example, you could start the recording well before (if the whole thing was premeditated and planned), and very quickly slip the phone out for a couple seconds without having to press any buttons, like you'd have to do with just taking a picture. Especially since, to get as clear an image as we have, you'd need to aim and steady the camera somewhat. Video wouldn't need to be as precise. You can take it out, point for a couple seconds, pocket it, then stop the recording when you're alone.

Not saying anything about the rest of the argument. I'm just explaining why video is easier than taking a picture.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Please explain to me how taking a picture is easier than taking video when (as I explained earlier) taking a picture requires you conspicuously press a button on your phone while taking a video does not.

Remember the picture of Falco with the updated model in the WiiU version but a background that had already been used? There are people out there with enough skill to make convincing fakes.

People do realize that, if someone working inside did leak this picture, they could not only be fired if caught but blacklisted from ever working in the industry ever again, right? Any member of the press who views the game would also be signing an NDA, meaning they too could lose out big if caught.

Seems like a stupid amount of risk just to spark the curiosity of people on a message board.

Though, I have another theory about this: maybe Sakurai could be leaking these himself...

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Though, I have another theory about this: maybe Sakurai could be leaking these himself...
There wouldn't be much of a point. Somebody who catches up with Smash leaks is probably going to buy it anyways. Also, this is the guy who got rid of story mode because cut scenes where spoilers when on the internet.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
can someone write that old rumor which said Cuccos were in the game somehow ?
I want to read it

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Please explain to me how taking a picture is easier than taking video when (as I explained earlier) taking a picture requires you conspicuously press a button on your phone while taking a video does not.
Depends on what kind of phone or iPod they have.

If they're using an iPod touch like I have, all they have to do is open the app, carefully move their thumb over to the button. There you go, easy picture. This still is neither here nor there. It's irrelevant at this point. Just because it's only two pictures doesn't affect the legitimacy. That's like saying the Brawl roster leak was better fake than real because it was only a picture.

Remember the picture of Falco with the updated model in the WiiU version but a background that had already been used? There are people out there with enough skill to make convincing fakes.
Yeah, that was a background already used, and the model itself was different from the website picture alongside it. We have pre-existing models of Palutena to work with, and they don't match. The technology is there, but that doesn't mean that every single photo leak is fake. The Palutena leak is certainly in a higher plain than the Falco leak.

People do realize that, if someone working inside did leak this picture, they could not only be fired if caught but blacklisted from ever working in the industry ever again, right? Any member of the press who views the game would also be signing an NDA, meaning they too could lose out big if caught.

Seems like a stupid amount of risk just to spark the curiosity of people on a message board.

As far as the rest of this, Sakurai is not leaking these himself. That wouldn't be conducive to hyping the game whereas they could just reveal her and get the hype on a more broad scale.

Yeah, somebody could get fired, but it's not like it hasn't happened before. Stuff gets leaked all the time. Like the new Sonic Boom characters. Those got leaked apparently. It happens.

Last edited:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman

The hell? What are you talking about? Why is it people on this board just make arbitrary rules that don't follow history or common sense?

These all must be fake according to you right?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/THEDARKKNIGHT1939/news/?a=96488
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...es-Indicate-Assassins-Creed-Game-Set-in-Paris
http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/28/source-2-and-left-4-dead-images-leak-from-valve-4280035/

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Also, people do realize that the Palutena model in that SS is directly from KI:Uprising, right?

Go to 15 mins here, it's the exact same model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCV2AUjVJxw

Another likely explanation is that KI:Uprising has been datamined for models (just like Twlight Princess was) and someone used that model to make these shots.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Also, people do realize that the Palutena model in that SS is directly from KI:Uprising, right?

Another likely explanation is that KI:Uprising has been datamined for models (just like Twlight Princess was) and someone used that model to make these shots.
Pretty sure that's been covered already. They aren't the same models. The one in the leak is more of a mix of Brawl's Palutena and Uprising's Palutena.

Here you go, direct comparison. It's not taken from Uprising.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

What do you mean it's the same model? Do you mean the model in that video is the same as in the leak? If so, that's not true. If not... Then I dunno what you're talking about.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman

Whether or not it is a fake the lack of video is not at ALL proof of your position. And are you seriously trying to say that taking a video is not harder than a picture? You've lost the plot. I hope you don't need me to make you a list as to why taking video is harder than taking a picture. In case you do I'll start you off with something simple.

The act of taking a picture takes less than a second. When taking a video you HAVE to stay focused on that subject for however long you want the video to be. I can take a quick picture of something confidential a lot quicker and surreptitiously than you can take a video of that same thing. Don't be obtuse. You take even a 30 second video of something and I'm already gone and out the door. This isn't even addressing file size, file types, ease of distribution, and leaks obtained second hand (e.g. the valve presentation leak).

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to mention, the texture and color of of several parts of Palutena are different from the KI:U model. It isn't a direct rip, that's for sure. It COULD have been changed up, but that's a lot of minor nitpicks and changes. Nothing that can be affirmatively noted that makes it fake.

I'm not convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom