• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
There's a white line just above "New Assist Trophies" too, like someone pasted something in after the fact.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Because it's arguably the most 'Sakurai' leak out of all the leaks of the front page. It has a stench similar to the Brawl leaks and the fact it's lasted this long, and no real way to debunk it for another 3 months potentially in sight, makes it arguably the most hardy leak that's been text based besides the E3 leak. And heaven forbid if it's E3 prediction is correct...

As much as I WANT a big dream roster which includes guys like Ridley ad K.Rool, my expectations when it comes to characters are at an all time low to be honest. Once we get a newcomer in April if the trend continues, we'll have 6 newcomers, and if we get another 3 at E3, that's 9 newcomers. If we're only expecting 10-15 newcomers, then that'd only leave 1-6 more to be revealed. The Brawl roster smacked a lot of sense into me as "Don't dream big", so I'm not. If things end up being huge, then great. If things are just "So-So", like *coughnoridleycough*, then I can't be disappointed because I expected it anyhow.
I don't really see how it's "Sakurai," it lacks some of the characteristics that we'd expect from him such as no surprising additions along the lines of Mr. Game and Watch and ROB, and it goes against some of the things he's done before in the past such as the unnecessarily changes like PT (remember, he refused to completely declone Ganondorf back in Brawl because he felt fans were attached to his moveset).

It seems more that the Betternet leak is paid attention to just because it's disappointing in some respect, not because it's actually the most believable. It has a good number of glaring flaws, but we seem to ignore them because Brawl kind of burned us and made us pessimistic.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't really see how it's "Sakurai," it lacks some of the characteristics that we'd expect from him such as no surprising additions along the lines of Mr. Game and Watch and ROB, and it has a couple unnecessarily changes like PT, which goes against what he's done before with past characters (remember, he refused to completely declone Ganondorf back in Brawl).

It seems more that the Betternet leak is paid attention to just because it's disappointing in some respect, not because it's actually the most believable of the leaks.
I wouldn't be surprised if WFT was our WTF character. If we're going to get all newcomers shown on the site, there's no real point to characters being unlock-able, ya know? Hell, he said himself he put her in because no one really wanted her.

And if it's not WFT, it'll be the Miis most likely.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
...not even close. Those two leaks are brought up because there's a rather high chance that they're the only two legitimate ones in this entire thread (unless you're the sort of agenda-driven meshugana who has convinced himself "People were talking about WFT!!!"). Nothing else is even remotely close to being on the level of those two.

Optimistically speaking, people in this thread are here to sift through piles of garbage in the hopes of uncovering some potential hidden truths. Realistically speaking, though, you're right; people come to the forum every day so they can come to this thread like it's some forum minigame. "Oh, these leaks will help me with my predictions! These leaks give me false hope for X character, so I'm going to talk them up!" If it were solely up to me, I'd temporarily lock the thread so people can be weaned off of it...but alas, that's not going to happen.
Man, I cannot agree with this enough. Not the part about shutting the thread down. The part about people using leaks to push their predictions.

Yeah, it's understandable to want a particular character in the game, but no one is guaranteed. No one, regardless of how popular or demanded they are.I want to pull hairs out whenever someone says "This leak is so fake, there's no Ridley or K. Rool on there." I'm not calling out the Ridley or K. Rool fans, honestly, but they do seem to speak the loudest, especially about characters with a lot of uncertainty and almost no evidence backing them up to being characters. But I've seen it happen with other fan favorite characters too.

Point is, we should all take leaks and look at them subjectively, how plausible everything seems, and whether or not the items listed are realistic, rather than getting clouded by bias. I think that'll help us figure out quicker which leaks are more likely to be real and which aren't, which is probably why the E3 and Betternet leaks are still so popular.

I don't really see how it's "Sakurai," it lacks some of the characteristics that we'd expect from him such as no surprising additions along the lines of Mr. Game and Watch and ROB, and it goes against some of the things he's done before in the past such as the unnecessarily changes like PT (remember, he refused to completely declone Ganondorf back in Brawl because he felt fans were attached to his moveset).

It seems more that the Betternet leak is paid attention to just because it's disappointing in some respect, not because it's actually the most believable. It has a good number of glaring flaws, but we seem to ignore them because Brawl kind of burned us and made us pessimistic.
I think the reason, at least to me, why the Brawl final reveal was so disappointing to fans was that almost all newcomers were shown on the site before the game got released. We got so pumped up pre-release because Sakurai kept showing off all these new characters. Dedede! Lucas! Pokemon Trainer! Snake and Sonic! We had so many newcomers that we were expecting even more newcomers to be unlockable. Surely Sakurai didn't reveal everything to us prior to launch, right?

Unfortunately, aside from a few secrets here and there, he did. The majority of the unlockable characters in Brawl were veterans. 8 out of the 12 of them, to be exact. The only new hidden character were Wolf, ROB, Toon Link, and Lucario, two of which were truly "new" and two who were more or less clones. We got spoiled ahead of time and disappointed after.

I honestly believe Sakurai is playing it safer this time around. He's revealed a ton of old veterans returning, but only five newcomers. The Brawl cast was actually really well done, but I feel the reveal process was poorly chosen. I'd much rather have the new stuff hidden until closer to release than revealed ahead of time, leaving me expecting more and more.

Whew. Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I wouldn't be surprised if WFT was our WTF character. If we're going to get all newcomers shown on the site, there's no real point to characters being unlock-able, ya know? Hell, he said himself he put her in because no one really wanted her.

And if it's not WFT, it'll be the Miis most likely.
Except everyone expects Miis, which goes against the whole "ROB/Mr. Game and Watch" criteria. Also, we usually have a couple unexpected/surprising characters added to the games other then just one (even if they're not WTF), PT for instance no one expected beforehand and this list seems to mostly lack that element.

Basically, as mentioned before, it feels too safe compared to what we've see in the past. It does have disappointing aspects, but I feel we're focusing on that element too much rather then what makes this roster truly believable.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Except everyone expects Miis, which goes against the whole "ROB/Mr. Game and Watch" criteria. Also, we usually have a couple unexpected/surprising characters added to the games other then just one (even if they're not WTF), PT for instance no one expected beforehand and this list seems to mostly lack that element.

Basically, as mentioned before, it feels too safe compared to what we've see in the past.
I'd dare say Takamaru could also be considered "Wtf" since I would say very few people outside of Japan know who he is, and I don't feel like Nintendo Land really helped the situation. And basically, what Bauske said.

It's the fact that Brawl's information was just handled poorly. We learned too much so that when we got the game, very little was a 'wow' factor. I was more shocked that Mewtwo got cut than who we got in Brawl. Not to say Brawl's roster was bad, no. Brawl had a great character selection that this game should build on, but it's a case of "Too much of a good thing". We learned too much before the game came out, and ended up completely underwhelmed.

And that's where the betternet gets me. It builds off Brawl, trims the fat, and just adds stuff that while not popular, Krystal, Miis, we sort of expect to happen at this point.

What we need is a reveal to shake things up. We need Lucas. We need Wolf, Ike, or Snake. Hell, even PKMN Trainer would debunk it, but we've gotten nothing. Christ, at this point, we don't even know if ANY Mother content's in the game at all. At least with Fire Emblem, we had Arena Fenox.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
The thing about the Betternet Leak it has 13 new comers, high requested characters: Palutena, Little Mac and Mewtwo, adds Mii and Pac-Man with the LeakE3 (That I believe), gets the odd choices like Toon Zelda, Krystal and Chrom + Lucina (Tag Team Combo), and finally adds the Retro character that is Takamaru.

In my prediction I´m counting between 10 and 12 new characters added with only two cuts, so here is how it could happen.

1) Villager
2) Mega Man
3) WFT
4) Rosalina
5) Little Mac

6) Miis (I´m expecting them because of the leak and they are high profile character to be added, I can say is the most deserving after the Wii Sports and Party games).
7) Pac-Man (The same as above and Namco is working on the game).
8) Palutena (The LEAK man, the f... LEAK!).
9) Chrom > Chrom and Lucina (I can see this happening Sakurai has wanted to include a tag team duo besides Ice Climbers since Melee era, with Plusle and Minun for Melee and Diddy + Dixie in Brawl, so maybe he finally make it work with this duo in this new Smash).
10) Ghirahim, Tingle or Ganon > Toon Zelda (I can see why Sakurai choose her instead of the others, she was planned in Brawl).
11) Takamaru (The perfect retro choice).
12) King K. Rool > Dixie Kong (Both of them deserve the spot, I prefer the villains choice but I can see Sakurai choosing Dixie instead for being easier to develop with a model of Diddy as a base and she was planned in Brawl).
13) Ridley or Shulk > Krystal (This is where I´m not expecting this character at all, especially because Metroid deserve another playable character besides Samus and Ridley has a great moveset potential, now Shulk, his game deserve all recognition and would be an awesome inclusion that would make many fans happy after the huge success of Project Rainfall, add that he is one of the most requested characters from Japan and he has many things going for him).

Now my list will be the confirmed 5 new comers + Mii, Pac-Man, Palutena, Chrom, Takamaru, King K. Rool and Ridley, so not many differences.

With the cuts, I´m expecting Lucas, Wolf, Falco or Ike getting the axe (Lucas and Wolf being the more probable), so no really to many changes except Snake getting cut, that would surprise me a lot.

So in general I´m considering the Betternet Leak inside my expectations.
Do I like it? HELL NO!, I will prefer to see Ridley, King K. Rool and Shulk before Toon Zelda, Dixie Kong and Krystal.

But hey what can I do... ib4 disappointment again, at least I did get in this Smash Mega Man and another plus is that Rosalina, Villager and Little Mac look great and fun to play.

.n_n.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, at least on the bright side, based on the comments I'm seeing here, if that awful roster does end up happening, it will be at least partly received as the awful roster it is, rather than sugarcoated as some gift from the Almighty Sakurai, as it undoubtedly will by the masses.

No, really. That roster looks like it was chosen by some "MOAR FEMALES" GameFAQs user, with Mega Man and Little Mac thrown in as afterthought bones to the fans.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'd dare say Takamaru could also be considered "Wtf" since I would say very few people outside of Japan know who he is, and I don't feel like Nintendo Land really helped the situation. And basically, what Bauske said.
Except as you said Takamaru is a popular choice in Japan and the hardcore fanbase recognizes him, yes he's not that well known outside of it to the average joe but he's still a more expected newcomer then PT or especially ROB were. You're kind of twisting the meaning of a "WTF" character there to squeeze him in.

I'It's the fact that Brawl's information was just handled poorly. We learned too much so that when we got the game, very little was a 'wow' factor. I was more shocked that Mewtwo got cut than who we got in Brawl. Not to say Brawl's roster was bad, no. Brawl had a great character selection that this game should build on, but it's a case of "Too much of a good thing". We learned too much before the game came out, and ended up completely underwhelmed.
And that's where the betternet gets me. It builds off Brawl, trims the fat, and just adds stuff that while not popular, Krystal, Miis, we sort of expect to happen at this point.
Brawl made quite a few mistakes, but that doesn't mean that Sakurai's suddenly going to throw away the rest of the unique/unexpected characters so soon, this list relies too much on the characters confirmed to have that factor rather then balancing it out. Also, it doesn't really doesn't take any notable risks, the worst it does is add a couple unpopular, but still expected characters, so there's nothing new about it that has that touch of his. So I can't say it feels like Sakurai to me, it's lacking in the areas that Sakurai is known for and does things Sakurai avoids.

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Here's my deal with the Betternet leak; there's no real OOMPH to it. It's basic, simple, plain. Not one character stands out as a Sakurai "WTF ASDFJkYfKo" choice. Yes, I realize that a few character on there (Krystal, T-Zelda) aren't super widely requested but they are still not the kinds of characters I feel that Sakurai would put in. Maybe it's real, maybe he wanted to focus on fan-requested characters this time around, but im deeming it fake only because it's unspecial.

I do love the sound of a redesigned PTrainer though :pimp:
How many times must it be said that there was unused Toon Zelda data on the Brawl disc for it to sink in that she is very much possible? Keep in mind she was important in spirit tracks and given more personality.

Shroob

Sup?
How many times must it be said that there was unused Toon Zelda data on the Brawl disc for it to sink in that she is very much possible? Keep in mind she was important in spirit tracks and given more personality.
No one's denying that Toon Zelda is very possible, but...

>Cuts most semi clones
>Adds a whole bunch of new and unique newcomers
>Toon Zelda :facepalm:

Why even cut the semi-clones if you're just going to add a Melee level clone? Yes, she could use her Darknut armor, but then why even call her Toon Zelda at that point? Surely there's a better name. Which, honestly I think that leak implies. There's no mention of Tetra or a Toon Sheik that I've noticed, so would she be in her armor?

....Then in theory, wouldn't that mean Toon Zelda is the Darknut in Zelda's screenshot? Could Sakurai be hiding her in plain sight?

I just realized that that Darknut's fingers.... are separated? But none of the ATs shown so far have seperated fingers...

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I totally see Toon Zelda. Or rather just Tetra. It's just a move Sakurai would do with the Zelda series, but I hope I'm wrong on that.

But yeah, here's this leak in a nutshell right now:

That Betternet leak seems very plau- *Little Mac KO Punched*

.... *Gets out of Hospital*

So that Palutena leak looks fake as sh- *Warlock Punched Down Home Run Contest*

.... *Gets out of hospital, has no money due to hospital payments and finds an internet cafe*

The Leaky 3 is totally fa- *DK, Ganon, Falcon and Little Mac simotaneous punch*

*dead*

*smash is love, smash is life*

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
If we take notice of it, we'll definitely to see a flood of leeks with Tin Star on them. I don't think we should give it the light of day.

I'm pretty sure no one wants to see hype of some metallic version of Earthworm Jim that looks like it came from a Saturday morning cartoon.
I'm just gonna go ahead and stand over here in the "I'd totally play as a robot cowboy section of the internet" just minding my own business......

Shroob

Sup?

HOW THE HECK CAN YOU TELL?!?!?
The right hand's fingers are actually individual fingers instead of just balls with lines like Ashely and Waluigi have. Sure it's at a back angle, but you can clearly see the two individual fingers.

And another thing to note, this Pink armor is ZELDA's Phantom form.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The right hand's fingers are actually individual fingers instead of just balls with lines like Ashely and Waluigi have. Sure it's at a back angle, but you can clearly see the two individual fingers.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

It's clear the thumb is separate (which Skull Kid had) but the other fingers look lumped together. I can't tell.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

And another thing to note, this Pink armor is ZELDA's Phantom form.
The game is still in development.

Shroob

Sup?
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

It's clear the thumb is separate (which Skull Kid had) but the other fingers look lumped together. I can't tell.
If they were lumped together, they wouldn't have individual fingertips. For example, Skull Kid. His fingers aren't as much fingers as a giant square with lines on them. This Phantom looks to have actual... fingers.

Maybe I'm overthinking this.:facepalm:

But that Phantom is indeed Spirit Track's Zelda.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
If they were lumped together, they wouldn't have individual fingertips. For example, Skull Kid. His fingers aren't as much fingers as a giant square with lines on them. This Phantom looks to have actual... fingers.

Don't let his modness scare you! defend your point! Take a stand!

no seriously I want to know if you can make a point with this. try and prove that they are separated.

Shroob

Sup?
Don't let his modness scare you! defend your point! Take a stand!

no seriously I want to know if you can make a point with this. try and prove that they are separated.
I can't really prove anything because of the angle the fingers are at, so it's impossible to see the backside of the hand. However, compare it to Ashly. Look at how she holds her wand and compare it to the Phantom.

Ashley's fingers are in one big clump. This Phantom seems to have space between each finger.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I honestly don't think you're overthinking it. Even ignoring the fingers, with the Phantom there seems to be a higher level of detail to the model, and the fact that we're even debating it having separate fingers goes to show that level. At the very least, I would go as far as to say it's not of lower quality like that of the ATs.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And now I feel bad because if I'm right, that's another win for the Betternet roster. A Toon Zelda without a transformation.:urg:

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
There was that leak that said the Phantom was a unique item that players took control of by attacking its back, I thought that'd be a really interesting way to implement it. But yeah, I've been hung up on the fact that it's a pink Phantom from the start - that would seem to tie it specifically to Zelda, and it was revealed alongside Zelda's character reveal, but... I don't know, I have a hard time imagining Sheik getting cut for this. It's a really tough call.

Good job noticing the very slight dip on the hand, though - even if it's not separate fingers, it would seem to indicate a higher quality model.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

HOW THE HECK CAN YOU TELL?!?!?
This picture is honestly one of the biggest mysteries to me, and it's official too! No leak, no rumor, it's right there on the Smash web site, but no information is given. I'll agree, it looks like individual fingers to me. What I want to know is if this is a new move for Zelda, something that replaces Sheik, a new Assist Trophy, or is it a new character? So many possibilities, and of course Sakurai just posts the picture and sits back laughing at our pain.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
So... Betternet leak never sounded true to me... Until you pointed out that damn armor... :(

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
And now I feel bad because if I'm right, that's another win for the Betternet roster. A Toon Zelda without a transformation.:urg:
To be fair though, if that's the case at least she likely has one move to differentiate herself from her original counterpart, which is more then what we can say for Toon Link.

Having said that, I'm hesitant on the idea that this is Toon Zelda, it's seems tied to Zelda herself based on the picture (though admittedly that could be manipulation) so I'm thinking it's more likely a new move for her. The only thing that concerns me about that is what move could it replace, particularly if it's one tied to a transformation, but maybe there's more to it that prevents that scenario while giving Zelda something to play around with.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
To be fair though, if that's the case at least she likely has one move to differentiate herself from her original counterpart, which is more then what we can say for Toon Link.

Having said that, I'm hesitant on the idea that this is Toon Zelda, it's seems tied to Zelda herself based on the picture (though admittedly that could be manipulation) so I'm thinking it's more likely a new move for her. The only thing that concerns me about that is what move could it replace, particularly if it's one tied to a transformation, but maybe there's more to it that prevents that scenario while giving Zelda something to play around with.
Well, we've seen that similar pose before iirc, the picture of Link and Peach together, and there was no Phantom then.

....If this IS a character, then Sakurai hiding it in plain sight is a genius.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Well, we've seen that similar pose before iirc, the picture of Link and Peach together, and there was no Phantom then.

Or maybe it's a move where you summon the phantom, he moves forward continuously, and you do the move again to make him attack. If that were the case, then they could have her in this pose in other photos while the phantom is somewhere walking off screen.

Just a theory. But seriously, this picture has bugged me since the day it was posted. I need answers!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The Phantom wouldn't be Zelda's new transformation. She will still retain Sheik, Please refer to the Zelda section for theories/proof.

Moving forward, are there no leaks for Issac from Golden Sun that are still live?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Yeah, that's a point of contention. I've heard quite a few counterpoints to that, and arguably as Basuke pointed out I could see Sakurai manipulating the picture so the Phantom was offscreen at that exact moment to hide it as he's done it before (such as avoiding the specific details of the Galaxy stage in that one Kirby picture). I'll admit though that it casts a shadow of doubt on it being a new move, but we'll see hopefully soon.

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
You know... We are getting a Spirit Tracks stage in SSB4 3DS... And it was like the only game we got to play as Zelda in. The Phantom in the picture resembles how they looked when Zelda possessed them, being pink and all. The only difference is the lack of pink glowing eyes, which Sakurai probably hid on purpose for all we know. I don't know, if that's really Toon Zelda, the Betternet leak is looking more real...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom