• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well if we got Mr. Fit, I don't see why not.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
no TP link and SS link look pretty different
The basic design is pretty much the same.

Regardless, SSB4 Link is TP link style clothes, SS color scheme and an OoT face.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
The basic design is pretty much the same.

Regardless, SSB4 Link is TP link style clothes, SS color scheme and an OoT face.
I find it, if nothing else, funny that someone would think Link's face resembles any of OoT's "faces" (triangular slabs with noses).
For the sake of argument:

OoT Concept Art:

Versus TP:

SSB4 Link:

I see no OoT, and the colors are still closer to TP than SS.

EDIT: If TWBowser was here, he'd probably photoshop an in-game OoT face over the third picture with the caption "See? Can't tell the difference." Let's all pretend I did that.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I find it, if nothing else, funny that someone would think Link's face resembles any of OoT's "faces" (triangular slabs with noses).
Thank god people see it looks nothing like SS

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Thank god people see it looks nothing like SS
I'm not exactly an SS expert though, a couple weeks ago, I didn't even know whether it was Toon or not, since then, all that I've seen of it are the first 10 minutes of an LP.
From that, though, I can tell you that if you want to see what a Modern SS Link would look like, Hyrule Warriors is pretty much that.
E: Also, +41 posts in two days? You take your role-playing seriously.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

OoT Concept Art:

Versus TP:

SSB4 Link:

EDIT: If TWBowser was here, he'd probably photoshop an in-game OoT face over the third picture with the caption "See? Can't tell the difference." Let's all pretend I did that.
I'm going by in game models.

It's much closer to OoT's model than TP's more feminine and rounder face.

See what I mean?

And the color scheme?

This is a lot closer than...

This.

It's in the middle. That's for sure, but I think it's closer to SS Link. At least for the tunic.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The color schemes are from TP Link, it's simply more saturated to fit the game's brighter colors, which coincidentally makes it look a bit like SS's bright green colors. He is pretty much 100% TP Link, but edited to fit into the new Smash's look. It kind of ends up looking like a whole new design because of how gritty TP and Brawl's artstyle is, but make no mistake, his design is as much from TP as Zelda's is.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Elaborating on what Wariofan said, the entire artstyle of SSB4 is brighter, just look at Mario compared to now and Brawl, or Zelda, who is obviously based on her Twilight Princess design, but she's brighter. The brightness isn't coming from some other form of Zelda being incorporated into her design, her design is still pure TP, but it's brighter to match the tone of the game. Think different lighting sources, they might look brighter in daylight and darker in an indoors setting.

If anything, the most glaring fact that SSB4 Link is still TP Link is that he's left handed, SS Link was right handed. He also still has the same arm guard from TP, which SS Link didn't have. Going back to the colour, it's clearly visible that the buckles on his straps are golden in colour, whereas in SS they were silver, same as the chain mail under his tunic. SS Link's pants are also much more baggy and brownish in colour, while SSB4 Link still has the same form-fitting pants he had in Brawl and TP. There are also the many intricate details in the shield, boots, etc that Link lacked in his SS design, all of these details match up with the details from TP. Another jarring difference is the hair, while SS Link has clumps of brownish hair that spikes slightly, SSB4 Link has that wavy smooth and lighter hair as before.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I think it's from the fan-made Majora's Mask Wii U remake trailer. Try and search it on Youtube, it's incredibly impressive.
Thanks, now I need to change my pants (and burn my current ones).
If they fixed the Deku eyes just a tiny bit, it would have been the single best fan-made anything in the history of history.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
If you liked that fan made trailer, imagine him in official glorious HD. :troll:
If you click the picture, it even leads to a support thread.
This guy is one of my favorite video game characters ever, up there with Amaterasu, TAC, Kirby and the green Faggio in GTA IV (shown on the left) but no.
He had virtually no physical participation in the story, and certainly never fought. I'm not saying this makes him unimportant, but it wouldn't be true to his character. He would be most appropriate as a stage element.
E: In the HD trailer and all of the fan art, they get his eyes wrong, why is that? I understand that something so magical is hard to replicate, but is it that hard?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This guy is one of my favorite video game characters ever, up there with Amaterasu, TAC, Kirby and the green ***gio in GTA IV (shown on the left) but no.
He had virtually no physical participation in the story, and certainly never fought. I'm not saying this makes him unimportant, but it wouldn't be true to his character. He would be most appropriate as a stage element.
E: In the HD trailer and all of the fan art, they get his eyes wrong, why is that? I understand that something so magical is hard to replicate, but is it that hard?
If you cared to look in the thread, I made a fully fleshed out moveset involving the transformation masks, a few regular masks, and the usual punches/kicks/bag swinging. It's not like he couldn't "borrow" these things from Link, as obviously Ness and Lucas use moves they can't learn in their respective games, but are instead used by their partners. As far as him not fighting or being true to his character, that didn't stop Villager did it? He was a pretty big part of the story of Majora's Mask, the whole reason Link is even able to get back to normal is with the Salesman's help and his song, which is used multiple times, plus getting his mask back for him.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Well I just heard through the grapevine that someone's uncle's nephew's roommate works at both Namco and Bandai and he confirmed that Tony Hawk is in the game. Just sayin'

Don't shoot the messenger.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Looking at the Link pictures... I just realized that I prefer OOT Link's face over TP Link's face and SS Link's face... I am just tired of seeing Justin Bieber's face in my Zelda games.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Alright, I said I'd point out why I believe the leak on the last page is false? Here we go.

--The introductory cliche. Why is every "leaker" connected to Namco-Bandai (or Sora) in some way? Seriously, they all are, whether they be interns, their siblings work there, they have a friend, or something of that sort.
--He's speaking directly as Sakurai's voice in some parts. "Sakurai wants to do this" or "Sakurai designed the Mii this way" seems like an unusual way for a guy to pass on information from a so-called friend.
--The guy took the Ridley Evolution mechanic from Halibuton's old leak and applied it to Lucario. Rip-off.
--The guy is acting as though characters like Zoroark are still in early, glitchy phases of development when Sakurai said in that "Bowser is really strong" interview that he's now in the balancing process of the game.
--He said Mewtwo isn't happening. Yeah, right. Also, how typical to end a leak with a so-called bombshell like that.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
If you cared to look in the thread, I made a fully fleshed out moveset involving the transformation masks, a few regular masks, and the usual punches/kicks/bag swinging. It's not like he couldn't "borrow" these things from Link, as obviously Ness and Lucas use moves they can't learn in their respective games, but are instead used by their partners. As far as him not fighting or being true to his character, that didn't stop Villager did it? He was a pretty big part of the story of Majora's Mask, the whole reason Link is even able to get back to normal is with the Salesman's help and his song, which is used multiple times, plus getting his mask back for him.
Yeah, I read the whole thing. It was very interesting and had a delightful It's a Good Life feel to it. I especially like how you used that gif at the end.
This doesn't change the fact that it simply wouldn't work, and your above argument is completely invalid (though the ones on the thread were fine).
This may seem like an asinine, arrogant response, but I have my reasoning:
The reason Villager, WFT, and GW work as fighters who weren't fighters in their own series is that:

• They come from an enviroment of non-violence (relatively speaking, in the case of GW)
  • They have an air of innocence, or at least not I-am-evil-personified-level malice
  • They (largely) fight without fighting. They carry about there business like they would in there own world. GW's Judge and Match and Villager's slingshot are really the only things out of all of their movesets that appear truly deliberately violent. I'm sure there are a few other exceptions, but you get my point.
Contrast with HMS:
  • In his world, violence and puzzles, but ultimately always violence, are what gets everything done. You don't have a LoZ game that isn't mass-murder of assorted monsters. HMS is aware of this, and some have argued that he manipulates Link throughout so he gets what he wants.
  • He is so ridiculously evil, I need not say anything. He is most famous for what he tells you when you die, and it isn't exactly sympathetic.
  • While I would have done a somewhat different moveset, it would have still ended up with active, deliberate and direct violence. You don't have a frail puppet-master going commando without sacrificing his character. And that's the point of the argument. I don't want him not in for the game's sake, I want him not in for his sake...
He comes from the best video games ever, and he is the best character in it. Virtually no game can live up to that legacy except for that [hypothetical] remake (if they got the darn eyes right). He should be in Smash, because he is important, but not if they ruin his character, the only reason to put him in in the first place.

After rereading this, I realize it looks fanatical. I am not a Majora's Mask or even LoZ fanatic, as much as it may have sounded like I am. I actually like SSB and Kirby more, but I recognize tht it's just personal preference, as I grew up with Kirby games, and only looked into Smash 64 (and, by extension, the rest of the series) because it had Kirby in it. I only main Kirby in 64, but still...
PS This thread makes me copy Quilt:mad088:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yeah, I read the whole thing. It was very interesting and had a delightful It's a Good Life feel to it. I especially like how you used that gif at the end.
This doesn't change the fact that it simply wouldn't work, and your above argument is completely invalid (though the ones on the thread were fine).
This may seem like an asinine, arrogant response, but I have my reasoning:
The reason Villager, WFT, and GW work as fighters who weren't fighters in their own series is that:

• They come from an enviroment of non-violence (relatively speaking, in the case of GW)
  • They have an air of innocence, or at least not I-am-evil-personified-level malice
  • They (largely) fight without fighting. They carry about there business like they would in there own world. GW's Judge and Match and Villager's slingshot are really the only things out of all of their movesets that appear truly deliberately violent. I'm sure there are a few other exceptions, but you get my point.
Contrast with HMS:
In his world, violence and puzzles, but ultimately always violence, are what gets everything done. You don't have a LoZ game that isn't mass-murder of assorted monsters. HMS is aware of this, and some have argued that he manipulates Link throughout so he gets what he wants.
You claim my argument is invalid, then back it up with an invalid argument of your own. He can't fight because he doesn't fight in his games but other people do, in contrast to Animal Crossing being happy hug-land? How about Peach, always the damsel in distress, always kidnapped by Bowser (except on rare occasions when she's playable) and yet there she is running about smacking Bowser with a frying pan. Another example directly in the Zelda series, Zelda herself, largely taking the same role as Peach.
He is so ridiculously evil, I need not say anything. He is most famous for what he tells you when you die, and it isn't exactly sympathetic.
Wait, what? I have no idea how you would think that, he's the Happy Mask Salesman, he wants you to get his mask back before everyone dies, he isn't the one dropping the moon. "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" that's evil? He even reverses time back to the first day when you die, an evil person wouldn't save your life so that you can save others.

While I would have done a somewhat different moveset, it would have still ended up with active, deliberate and direct violence. You don't have a frail puppet-master going commando without sacrificing his character. And that's the point of the argument. I don't want him not in for the game's sake, I want him not in for his sake... He should be in Smash, because he is important, but not if they ruin his character, the only reason to put him in in the first place.
Frail puppet master? He seems like he's hiding some kind of power, since he seemingly reverses time without the ocarina if you fail to stop the moon. Sure he doesn't do much of anything physical, but that hasn't stopped Sakurai from making a character work, see: Falcon and Fox outside of their respective vehicles.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
You claim my argument is invalid, then back it up with an invalid argument of your own. He can't fight because he doesn't fight in his games but other people do, in contrast to Animal Crossing being happy hug-land? How about Peach, always the damsel in distress, always kidnapped by Bowser (except on rare occasions when she's playable) and yet there she is running about smacking Bowser with a frying pan. Another example directly in the Zelda series, Zelda herself, largely taking the same role as Peach.
"How about Peach?" Is this a joke? Are you being facetious?
Super Mario Bros. 2 (and several others)
And Zelda has demonstrated a capacity for violence.
TP and WW, plus that whole Sheik thing in OoT (?).
Wait, what? I have no idea how you would think that, he's the Happy Mask Salesman, he wants you to get his mask back before everyone dies, he isn't the one dropping the moon. "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" that's evil? He even reverses time back to the first day when you die, an evil person wouldn't save your life so that you can save others.
Oh, I see, he's Happy, well then, you win, this is awkward, more so with each coma,,,,,,,,,,
No
I was being hyperbolic before, now I am seriously asking: Are you kidding?
You write up a whole thread about this guy, and you don't even get the character. What?
He wants an artifact of Ultimate Evil which is literally from Hell, made to cause endless suffering. No ulterior motive or questionable morality here.
The quote is not just not sympathetic, it's practically taunting, I get that the lack of voice acting adds ambiguity, but still.
And he doesn't care about saving the town, he just wants the mask.
MM is a Dead Hero of Time's Journey of Postmortem Self Discovery. It's also being a lap dog for the greater-but-less-immediately-threatening of two evils, those evils being MM and HMS.
Frail puppet master? He seems like he's hiding some kind of power, since he seemingly reverses time without the ocarina if you fail to stop the moon. Sure he doesn't do much of anything physical, but that hasn't stopped Sakurai from making a character work, see: Falcon and Fox outside of their respective vehicles.
See: Star Fox Assault

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
"How about Peach?" Is this a joke? Are you being facetious?
Super Mario Bros. 2 (and several others)
And Zelda has demonstrated a capacity for violence.
TP and WW, plus that whole Sheik thing in OoT (?).

Oh, I see, he's Happy, well then, you win, this is awkward, more so with each coma,,,,,,,,,,
No
I was being hyperbolic before, now I am seriously asking: Are you kidding?
You write up a whole thread about this guy, and you don't even get the character. What?
He wants an artifact of Ultimate Evil which is literally from Hell, made to cause endless suffering. No ulterior motive or questionable morality here.
The quote is not just not sympathetic, it's practically taunting, I get that the lack of voice acting adds ambiguity, but still.
And he doesn't care about saving the town, he just wants the mask.
MM is a Dead Hero of Time's Journey of Postmortem Self Discovery. It's also being a lap dog for the greater-but-less-immediately-threatening of two evils, those evils being MM and HMS.

See: Star Fox Assault
If you want to use Super Mario Bros 2 as an argument on canon, remember that that game was Mario's "dream" The only other times she took a playable role (outside of karting and sports) were in Super Princess Peach and Super Mario 3D World, both which came out long after Melee.

Yes, Zelda turned into Sheik, but Sheik didn't really do much fighting did she? And then she just ended up captured as soon as she took off her disguise.

Melee also released before WW, before Tetra. And how could you even bring up Star Fox Assault? That came out years after the first SSB, Sakurai made up Fox's moveset based on different abilities of the Arwings. Hell, Adventures would have been a better example, but that still came out after SSB.

He wants the mask back because he doesn't want Skull Kid to use it's power to destroy Termina. He was in possession of the mask before Skull Kid stole it, do you really think if he was evil that he wouldn't have just used the mask to kill everyone way before he ever came across the Skull Kid? If he doesn't care about saving the town, then why does he say "If you leave my mask out there, something terrible will happen!"

And now you're going to argue using fan theories, and you think I'm the one joking? You can't be serious.
Yes, I get the character, the official character, not some fan-made bs that people come up with for creepy pastas.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Looking at the Link pictures... I just realized that I prefer OOT Link's face over TP Link's face and SS Link's face... I am just tired of seeing Justin Bieber's face in my Zelda games.
Shota > Bara and you know it.

Zelda Wii U looks like he may be more manly though.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
He wants the mask back because he doesn't want Skull Kid to use it's power to destroy Termina. He was in possession of the mask before Skull Kid stole it, do you really think if he was evil that he wouldn't have just used the mask to kill everyone way before he ever came across the Skull Kid? If he doesn't care about saving the town, then why does he say "If you leave my mask out there, something terrible will happen!"

And now you're going to argue using fan theories, and you think I'm the one joking? You can't be serious.
Yes, I get the character, the official character, not some fan-made bs that people come up with for creepy pastas.
I concede the point on SMB2 being a dream, the rest of the first half I'm going to ignore, as it's getting off-topic in an already off-topic argument.
I'm not using fan theories (save for the Link-is-Dead-in-Majora's-Mask, which was actually recognized deep within the Hyrule Historia).
I wrote a couple paragraphs of arguing for HMS's evilness, along with all the other points you began to conveniently ignore, but I'm too tired, and I really don't care.
I'm disappointed that a big supporter doesn't get what his character actually is, going so far as to use his name as evidence of his goodness. But not that disappointed.
You can PM if you like, and I'll continue this discussion at a later date, but I figure I've been poisoning the thread long enough.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
If you want to use Super Mario Bros 2 as an argument on canon, remember that that game was Mario's "dream" The only other times she took a playable role (outside of karting and sports) were in Super Princess Peach and Super Mario 3D World, both which came out long after Melee.
coughSuperMarioRPGcough

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I concede the point on SMB2 being a dream, the rest of the first half I'm going to ignore, as it's getting off-topic in an already off-topic argument.
I'm not using fan theories (save for the Link-is-Dead-in-Majora's-Mask, which was actually recognized deep within the Hyrule Historia).
I wrote a couple paragraphs of arguing for HMS's evilness, along with all the other points you began to conveniently ignore, but I'm too tired, and I really don't care.
I'm disappointed that a big supporter doesn't get what his character actually is, going so far as to use his name as evidence of his goodness. But not that disappointed.
You can PM if you like, and I'll continue this discussion at a later date, but I figure I've been poisoning the thread long enough.
We can continue the discussion in his thread, since it won't exactly be off topic in there. I mainly think you're clinging far too hard on fan-theories than actual in-game happenings, it's one thing what the creators intended, but a completely different ball game when fans take things the wrong way. If we won't continue, then I'll leave you on this last note, which you also seem to have ignored- The Salesman had Majora's Mask long before Skull Kid stole it from him, if he were truly evil, he could have put the mask on the moment he found it and used it to destroy everything. He kept the mask so no one could use it's power, and he became distressed when the mask was stolen, because he knew what it could do in the wrong hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom