• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
So why would characters with near-complete CGI trailers have their reveals pushed back over six months and counting while another newcomer slipped in undetected by the leaker?

It just doesn't add up.
Actually it does. Rosalina was obviously revealed as an advertisement for 3D World (and kinda Mario Kart 8), since Rosalina being in the game was pretty much one of its selling points. You're viewing everything in black and white. It's not that hard of a situation to comprehend.

One could argue that Pac Man would be revealed at the time of his new game, but let's be honest. Who plays the new-age Pac Man games? They're probably going to save any other 3rd parties they have (other than Snake, if he returns) for E3.

I honestly don't support the rumor at all really, since it is a little flaky, but the leaker started this out as a joke, then once he realized half of the characters he "guessed" were real, he believed his source, and announced that maybe it was true. Even the leaker kinda seemed skeptical of his own leak, which, in my opinion, means this is either a legit leak, or an amazing troll.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
We sure have went on an off-topic tangent here. Then again, this is Smashboards and we sure do love our speculation.

I still think that at least ten newcomers are a sure bet for this game (veterans included). I think we will hit anywhere from ten to fifteen newcomers when all is said and done.

That said, it wouldn't take more than ten newcomers to satisfy 95% of the Smash community. We already got Mega Man in Smash, which leaves us with three heavy hitters in Mewtwo, King K. Rool and Ridley. I am expecting all of these characters to be added, which gives us six newcomers left. Then fill out the other four with a retro rep (Takamaru/Mach Rider), a Fire Emblem character (Roy/unique Chrom), Little Mac and Palutena and you have the perfect SSB 3DS & Wii U roster under fifty characters.
OWWW YESSS ITS GLORIOUS YESSS PLEASE OW GORDDD YES !!!!!!!!!!!!

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
And yes, it's safe to say that there was no chance that Rosalina would have been revealed before Peach or even Luigi. So why have the info for her at E3 when she wasn't on the table. That is why her reveal means nothing for the validity of the rumor.
Obviously, this turned out to be true, but saying Rosa had no chance of being revealed before Luigi or Peach is kind of a fallacy.. heck if it hadn't turned true, I imagine you would have included Yoshi in there as well...

Sakurai has proven several times (wtf Toon Link?) that he's going to reveal characters when he wants to... not based on some set order that you think he should take. As another example, Pokemon Trainer was revealed months before Jigglypuff for Brawl... I just don't think you can truthfully make this kind of statement.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm not supposed to to anyone this, and if I do the Nintendonati will probably give me a good spankin', but I'll say it anyway.

I heard from my friend's uncle's dad's sister's cousin's old college roommate who happens to be Reggie Fils-Aime's nephew-in-law, that Mario will make an appearance in Super Smash Ros for WiiU and 3DS.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm not supposed to to anyone this, and if I do the Nintendonati will probably give me a good spankin', but I'll say it anyway.

I heard from my friend's uncle's dad's sister's cousin's old college roommate who happens to be Reggie Fils-Aime's nephew-in-law, that Mario will make an appearance in Super Smash Ros for WiiU and 3DS.
I love Super Smash Ros.
I'm happy to hear it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Remember that pre-Brawl rumor about Rosalina being planned to be an Assist Trophy? And now she's playable in SSB4... maybe Muddy Mole might be playable too... there was a pre-Brawl rumor about him being an Assist Trophy...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Most of those leaks also featured Duster and Sothe as demo-exclusive ATs alongside Rosalina. Them confirmed!!

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Obviously, this turned out to be true, but saying Rosa had no chance of being revealed before Luigi or Peach is kind of a fallacy.. heck if it hadn't turned true, I imagine you would have included Yoshi in there as well...

Sakurai has proven several times (wtf Toon Link?) that he's going to reveal characters when we wants to... not based on some set order that you think he should take. As another example, Pokemon Trainer was revealed months before Jigglypuff for Brawl... I just don't think you can truthfully make this kind of statement.
Actually, I can. Since both Peach and Luigi were featured in the CGI portion of Rosalina's trailer, they would have needed to have been confirmed prior to that. In every trailer after the first, the CGI cutscenes have only featured already confirmed characters and the newcomer in question. They either started working on the scenes after Luigi and Peach were confirmed or their intention was that Luigi and Peach would be revealed before they release the trailer.

There are other flaws in your argument as well. Yoshi is not a Mario character, so a Mario newcomer reveal would not be dependent on Yoshi being revealed. Toon Link was revealed to advertise Wind Waker HD, so it's not as random as you think. Your Jigglypuff argument is flawed, as she was a hidden character while Pokemon Trainer was a starter. So obviously he would be revealed before her.

I'm not saying that characters must be revealed in a specific order, but there are some obvious cases for when they should be. First off, characters on the starting roster would be revealed before unlockable. There are some exceptions, such as third party characters, but we won't know who is on the starting roster until the game is closer to release. The second is that we would see veterans revealed before newcomers except where it conflicts with point 1.
Using these two points, it's obvious that we'll see Mario, Bowser, and Peach revealed before seeing a Mario newcomer. These three are veterans and starter characters, so their reveals take priority over Rosalina. Luigi, being an unlockable for the past three games, was certainly possible to be revealed after Rosalina if he has the same status this time. However, his presence in the cutscene indicates that he was intended to be revealed before Rosalina as well.

Unless you're going to argue that Sakurai was planning on revealing all five of these Mario characters at the same time (extremely unlikely), there's no reason to think that she was ever intended for E3, hence the leaker may not have known or cared about her.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Ridley takes 22 months alone just to plan
22 months? Man you're optimistic, or lucky. Why I tried calling Ridley just the other day and here it is 5 years later and he finally called me back. That dude (dudette? I've always been too ashamed of not knowing to ask.) is a nightmare with planning. He's just so busy with being purple, and being a dragon thing, and being too big to fit in stuff.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
NEW YEAR, NEW RUMOURS!
LET'S GO!
Looks like you got your wish.

From GameFAQs - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68237872
"I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I know some information about Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Super Smash Bros for 3DS. I'm not a prophet. I'm not a troll. And I will ignore everyone who calls me one. I'm just a real big fan of the series who has some insider info to share. Now that that's out of the way, I will tell you some tidbits.

King Dedede will be revealed on January 10. The day before Kirby Triple Deluxe is released in Japan.

Diddy Kong will be revealed on February 13th. The day of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze's release in Japan.

There is a DKCR3D stage in the 3DS version. This was seen in the 1st trailer. It's a scrolling stage that constantly scrolls to the right. However, sometimes goes in diagonal directions. It's a real interesting stage and so far, it's the only one in Smash history to act like it! The music is to die for as well. It even has a couple of tracks from the Donkey Kong Land games!

The Wii U will have a generic DKCR stage that takes no physical cues from Tropical Freeze. However, there is talk on getting music from that game. We already have music from all main DKC games that have been released so far on this stage though. We even have a couple of tracks from DK64 It is a standard stage with no stage hazards. Rambi makes a background cameo though. As do a couple of Tikis. Graphically, it's looks stunning. I'm sure it's gonna be a favorite.

Orange Grenades are a new explosive item. They bounce on the ground when thrown and explode after a certain amount of time! There is a Funky Kong AT as well. He's still in the debugging process though, so he may be changed up a bit.

Dr. Mario is in the game somehow. I won't give out specifics just yet, but it's a lot of fun! I really enjoy the decision.

The Lorr Starcutter is a stage on the Wii U version. It works kind of like Coneria. It's layout and functionality is much different but the basic concept is the same. The background is stunning though. You fly through several locations from Return to Dreamland. You even fly to Another Dimension! Lots of Kirby Air Ride and Kirby's Return to Dreamland music plays on it.

While I'm talking about music, the number of songs is significantly higher than Brawl's. However, most of the songs are direct ports of songs from games instead of new remixes. This is very noticeable when looking at Mario Galaxy and Dr. Wily's Castle. Don't worry though. There are a LOT of songs on Mario Galaxy and Dr. Wily's Castle.

Well, there ya have it. That should tide you over. And to answer future questions.

Yes. Yes, I do know more.

But I don't plan on sharing it. Not now at least. Hope you have fun anticipating this stuff! :D"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This may just be the shortest leaker-imposed deadline between a leak and the alleged reveal of a character to date?

D

Deleted member

This actually is pretty believable, but that's not saying much.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

From GameFAQs - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68237872
"I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I know some information about Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Super Smash Bros for 3DS. I'm not a prophet. I'm not a troll. And I will ignore everyone who calls me one. I'm just a real big fan of the series who has some insider info to share. Now that that's out of the way, I will tell you some tidbits.

King Dedede will be revealed on January 10. The day before Kirby Triple Deluxe is released in Japan.

Diddy Kong will be revealed on February 13th. The day of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze's release in Japan.

There is a DKCR3D stage in the 3DS version. This was seen in the 1st trailer. It's a scrolling stage that constantly scrolls to the right. However, sometimes goes in diagonal directions. It's a real interesting stage and so far, it's the only one in Smash history to act like it! The music is to die for as well. It even has a couple of tracks from the Donkey Kong Land games!

The Wii U will have a generic DKCR stage that takes no physical cues from Tropical Freeze. However, there is talk on getting music from that game. We already have music from all main DKC games that have been released so far on this stage though. We even have a couple of tracks from DK64 It is a standard stage with no stage hazards. Rambi makes a background cameo though. As do a couple of Tikis. Graphically, it's looks stunning. I'm sure it's gonna be a favorite.

Orange Grenades are a new explosive item. They bounce on the ground when thrown and explode after a certain amount of time! There is a Funky Kong AT as well. He's still in the debugging process though, so he may be changed up a bit.

Dr. Mario is in the game somehow. I won't give out specifics just yet, but it's a lot of fun! I really enjoy the decision.

The Lorr Starcutter is a stage on the Wii U version. It works kind of like Coneria. It's layout and functionality is much different but the basic concept is the same. The background is stunning though. You fly through several locations from Return to Dreamland. You even fly to Another Dimension! Lots of Kirby Air Ride and Kirby's Return to Dreamland music plays on it.

While I'm talking about music, the number of songs is significantly higher than Brawl's. However, most of the songs are direct ports of songs from games instead of new remixes. This is very noticeable when looking at Mario Galaxy and Dr. Wily's Castle. Don't worry though. There are a LOT of songs on Mario Galaxy and Dr. Wily's Castle.

Well, there ya have it. That should tide you over. And to answer future questions.

But I don't plan on sharing it. Not now at least. Hope you have fun anticipating this stuff! :D"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This may just be the shortest leaker-imposed deadline between a leak and the alleged reveal of a character to date?
That certainly is a short deadline.

Thing is though. The deadline is a very realistic possibility.

And the rest of them stuff sounds alright...

No way of knowing really.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, if Dedede isn't revealed on that date, we'd know the leak is a load of bunk. That being said, whereas I can't fathom WFT being a lucky guess, it's easily possible to guess Dedede being revealed before the only known upcoming Kirby game, especially given his mode within it. I'd have to see or hear some of that DK stage content before taking this one too seriously.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm kinda curious as to why he focused on Kirby and Donkey Kong stuff.

A fan of the series perhaps?

faaaaaaake
Unfortunately, we have no way of proving it one way or the other.

Until Dedede is either confirmed or deconfirmed, we have no way of knowing.

D

Deleted member

Well, if Dedede isn't revealed on that date, we'd know the leak is a load of bunk. That being said, whereas I can't fathom WFT being a lucky guess, it's easily possible to guess Dedede being revealed before the only known upcoming Kirby game, especially given his mode within it. I'd have to see or hear some of that DK stage content before taking this one too seriously.
More than just his minigame, Dedede's playable in the campaign at some point as well.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
All of it seems so... expected (for the most part), that I really won't pay it much attention until I see info on the DK stages and Starcutter.

Ask about characters please.

(also I promise that leak wasn't from me this time)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Finally, a new rumor/leak.

I will admit that this is one of the more believable "leaks", although that's not saying much as the King Dedede and Diddy Kong reveal dates mentioned in the "leak" seem easily guessable, and he might be hoping to use that to his advantage in hopes of getting many others to believe the leak for a decent amount of time, though there is no way to prove or disprove the rumor as of yet. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
If there is a Dr. Mario stage like the actual game where he's on the side dropping blocks down while you fight I would be soooo happy.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Everything seems pretty safe and plausible.

The only major game release that didn't come with a character was Pokemon XY.
Diddy Kong and King Dedede seem most likely.
And it makes sense to know those DK and Kirby stages because they are likely going to be revealed in the pictures for the reveals on the website.
There is nothing major here that would assume he's just looking for people to get fired up.

So we have:

Diddy Kong reveal
DKCR stage
King Dedede reveal
A Return to Dreamland stage
Explaining a VERY AMBIGUOUS stage that we saw during E3
LOTS of music on stages
Funky Kong AT
New grenade item
and Dr. Mario confirmation of being in the game somehow
and by how he said it i'm thinking it's not a costume for Mario, but has his own stage

nothing out in left field here

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Everything seems pretty safe and plausible.

The only major game release that didn't come with a character was Pokemon XY.
Diddy Kong and King Dedede seem most likely.
And it makes sense to know those DK and Kirby stages because they are likely going to be revealed in the pictures for the reveals on the website.
There is nothing major here that would assume he's just looking for people to get fired up.

So we have:

Diddy Kong reveal
DKCR stage
King Dedede reveal
A Return to Dreamland stage
Explaining a VERY AMBIGUOUS stage that we saw during E3
LOTS of music on stages
Funky Kong AT
New grenade item
and Dr. Mario confirmation of being in the game somehow
and by how he said it i'm thinking it's not a costume for Mario, but has his own stage

nothing out in left field here

It's all way too safe, which actually makes it sound like pretty legit info.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If we see the Orange Grenades then MAYBE there's something in that leak. Arguably Funky Kong could be a clincher too? Not sure on that one personally.

The rest seems like something anyone could guess. Dr. Mario being included in some way could be as simple as his music returns, a trophy, a sticker or a stage. Way too vague.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
What's the point in "leaking" things that we all know are all but assured anyways?

Hey guys I got some secret information about smash 4:

Wario, Yoshi, Meta-Knight, and Game and Watch will be playable

Lazurwolf

Smash Apprentice
What's the point in "leaking" things that we all know are all but assured anyways?

Hey guys I got some secret information about smash 4:

Wario, Yoshi, Meta-Knight, and Game and Watch will be playable
Everyone in brawl is coming back. I know because I helped sakurai make maple story

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Orange Grenade part is a little hard to swallow for me. I can't think of something from Donkey Kong 64 (due to Rare gone from Nintendo) being added to Smash (I know Diddy Kong had moves from DK64 but still. The rest isn't all that bad.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's all very predictable and doesn't have much risk in it. There are no potential newcomers at risk, at most Dr. Mario is at risk, and it's not like we expected him anyways.

So yeah, a pretty uninteresting leak. It's not like we aren't expecting Dedede and Diddy Kong on those dates either.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Kinda funny really, the one leak that plays it safe is the most believable one.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's not bad well clearly we can judge the rumor by when dedede is reveal if he does

If its meta knight or dedede is not revealed on the 10th its busted

Oh yea I would not be suprised at all if Dr mario is an alternate costumes

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
"Dr. Mario is in the game somehow. I won't give out specifics just yet, but it's a lot of fun! I really enjoy the decision."

*Crosses fingers in hope of Dr. Mario returning*

D

Deleted member

I could actually see this stuff come true if you ask me. If the leak do come true for Diddy Kong and King Dedede, filing this rumor under "worth watching".

I'm hoping this is true. As someone who loves music almost as much as video games, this would be stunning (Mega Man is a franchise that deserves lots of music on its stage, twelve or so isn't enough). And while the leaker hasn't specified about Dr. Mario's role in the game, it doesn't look like a stage (although I would no doubt enjoy that). He was planned to return to Brawl, so his inclusion in this game isn't impossible. If the leaker is implying a playable Dr. Mario, then this is very good news for Brawl veterans (minus maybe Snake), Mewtwo and Roy as it would mean that Sakurai is emphasizing on bringing back characters from past games (like he said he wanted to do).

One thing though, has a correct leak ever been this detailed in regards to giving out information? I don't remember the GameFAQs pre-Brawl leak for characters doing that.

D

Deleted member

Even if Dedede is revealed on the 10th, I wouldn't hold the rumor to be proven true yet, considering that damn near everyone guessed Dedede would be on the 10th.

If some of the other details start proving to be accurate, which we may not know for quite a while, then it can be seen as true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom