• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
And so is Villager, and you don't see him customizable.

I don't get this. I think I understand. But then you refer to it being "a T rated game".
But maybe some of us don't want to see this. You can't justify something because of it's rating.
It's like trying to justify a 10-year old say "your mom" jokes in COD because it's an M rated game.

Simple, from everything else. Like I said. I don't like customization, but isolating a character from everyone isn't the way to go.

This is a fighting game. It's not going to be absolutely different.
Even if this mode is added in, it would still be Brawl. That wouldn't change.

So, you're implying they can't.
Vilager says hi. Remember? He's just an avatar, like a Mii. He doesn't have personality, any real look, heck not even a name. You do all that. And look what happened! He became a character!

Why can't it work? Why does it has to be this way? What you're saying is Miis can't be unique as a character. They can't work as a functional character like everyone else. There's no way for them to work. No moveset potential, no gimmicks, nothing. Nothing at all.

Why? "Because they're avatars. They're only unique when you make it unique"

This is a mentality I've always hated. It's essentially the equivalent of giving the character no chance.
It's pretty much saying "they'll never work as a character". So we have to isolate them from the rest of the cast. How do you think the others will feel? Sure, the character they've wanted forever is in. But at what cost?
This idea kills the reason that people wanted them in.
It's like you only look what little pros there is, without looking at the whole picture.

But you know, I had this same mentality about Rosalina. I assumed she couldn't work. There was no way she could work as a functional character.
Then I saw her trailer. And guess what? I think she's one of the more unique characters. Why can't Miis be the same way. Why can't they just be their own character?

I've said this many times, and it works here.
This is Sakurai.
This is the man who was able to make something out of Wii Fit Trainer of all characters.
He can do something with Miis. But in a way to where it'll work as it's own character, not an avatar.
Villager is from a game series. He has one iconic look. And might be able to switch clothes, we don't know yet. Sure, miis could get their own moves. But they aren't that popular or unique. It could work... but why? My idea addresses all of the problems that come with Miis. Sakurai said there would be a customizable feature. And there's a mii stage. I don't see a single reason they shouldn't do this.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think people should drop the "Leaky Three" and I've thought this for months. The only reason people give it any sort of credibility is because it had WFT but really it was just an educated guess with a factor that just about everyone, including myself, outright dismissed. The Wii Fit games were insanely successful and it was easily the second most successful new Nintendo franchise of the last generation after the "Mii" games. We only dismissed it because of Sakurai's past comments about certain characters not being suitable for fighting games. I think a lot of people still cling to it because we as a fanbase don't want to admit that we deliberately dismissed something so monumental in plain sight. As for the other 5, again, they were all well educated guesses with Megaman being by far the top 3rd Party pick since Brawl was released, Namco Bandai developing the game (Pac-man), Little Mac being one of the top choices and one of the few retro franchises revived last gen that was successful (sorry Sin and Punishment, Excite Bike, and Golden Sun...), Miis essentially defining Nintendo's last generation, and Animal Crossing being the only Nintendo juggernaut without a playable rep.
The NeoGAF guy that was responsible for the "Leaky 3" has given away legit information before and clearly has some inside sources. In terms of leaks this is by far the best thing we have to go on (I still think the Palutena leak was just a very good fake). The only character I have a hard time picturing that he suggested is Mii, mostly because I just can't see what he would add to the games that Villager already doesn't do. Pac-Man is probably going to happen because Nintendo and Namco would be fairly stupid if they don't put one of the biggest video gaming icons into these games when they've got the perfect set up for it.

You don't just guess Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man and Villager like that. It's impossible. The only reason people don't want to believe this is because they don't like Pac-Man and Mii.

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't Snake have been announced by now of he were returning? Especially if we have Pac-Man potentially joining. They probably have a limited time to unveal him before release since he would need to be given credit on the site and box. Which is why if Strider is in a fighting game, they usually reveal him first or early, since they need to give credit to his co-owner.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Ok then, we'll just discuss K. Rool and Ridley, and other popular candidates here in Smashboards so you guys can fall for the same luring rumors. :psycho:
All leaks will be boring by then.
No it has to be someone obscure. maybe prince sable will suffice. not to insult you but as soon as we got one with Prince Sable we got three. maybe he's the tell. Maybe if he's in a leak then we know its fake. Or maybe we could pick another character like lets say that everyone one here thinks that Xananab will get in. If he is on everyone's wish list then we are bound to get leaks with him as a playable character or at least mention him. If they do then we would absolutely know that a leak that mentions xananab would be fake... he would just serve as a fanboy pick with no real chance. We just need someone to make it seem like everyone wants a certain believable/random character... But who? this would involve making a new character support thread and all that biz.

Edit: this way if a real leak comes around then we will know because it doesn't mention[insert obscure character here].I GOT IT!!! ok Queen Merelda from Wario Land Shake it. No one would see it coming!!!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
No it has to be someone obscure. maybe prince sable will suffice. not to insult you but as soon as we got one with Prince Sable we got three. maybe he's the tell. Maybe if he's in a leak then we know its fake. Or maybe we could pick another character like lets say that everyone one here thinks that Xananab will get in. If he is on everyone's wish list then we are bound to get leaks with him as a playable character or at least mention him. If they do then we would absolutely know that a leak that mentions xananab would be fake... he would just serve as a fanboy pick with no real chance. We just need someone to make it seem like everyone wants a certain believable/random character... But who? this would involve making a new character support thread and all that biz.
We could discuss Alfonzo or Tatanga for Smash. :troll:
(But at the same time, we would be going off topic.)

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Sure, miis could get their own moves. But they aren't that popular or unique. It could work... but why?
So, you admit they can't work as a character huh?
And you admit my idea can work, but your preferences are getting in the way.
In other words, "bias".

My idea addresses all of the problems that come with Miis.
No, all it does is separate them further. If anything, it makes it worse.

Sakurai said there would be a customizable feature. And there's a mii stage.
Now you're grasping at straws here.
You're attempting to put two unrelated ideas together.

I don't see a single reason they shouldn't do this.
Really? Cause I can think of plenty.

But here, I can do one better.
Let's make them the picture you see on your profile. Like KI:U.
That way they can be customizable, and we can treat them like they are. An avatar.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You don't just guess Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man and Villager like that. It's impossible. The only reason people don't want to believe this is because they don't like Pac-Man and Mii.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. People give it way too much credit when, as I explained, it's more of an end result of simple deduction and logical reasoning. Looking at all the factors, WFT wasn't at all illogical. Yes, she threw us for a loop but only because so many of us dismissed the Wii Fit games as "casual trash" that would never get a rep in a thousand years despite it being a worldwide phenomenon.

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
No one seems to understand that adding Mii is the absolute worst possible addition to SSB. The Mii represents everything wrong with Nintendo and deny it if you will, but that is the Nintendo Wii. Sure, Nintendo Wii had quite some success during its lifetime, but that still does not eliminate the fact that it is seen as a child's console. Adding a Mii to the roster would only solidify this misconception. Remember, Super Smash Bros. 4 is a HARDCORE game in a HARDCORE franchise. Make no mistake, SSB has a cult following by a good group of fans (this website is proof). Besides the Wii Fit Trainer, who clearly is an icon for a new movement of "fitness" related gaming, the Mii has no appeal to hardcore gamers who have otherwise never touched a Wii for the purpose of customizing their own stupid avatar for what they believe is a stupid console.
**** Mii and everyone who wants it in the game. If the Mii is in the game there's not much we can do about it, but to everyone who does want the Mii in the game just proves that their backing this whole childish image that is blowing up in Nintendo's face. You don't support Nintendo if you want Mii in the game.
Why can't Miis remain as insignificant as the generic Xbox avatar? They don't deserve the Smash Bros. treatment, they're not iconic. They are worthless and in my opinion, the very poison of Nintendo.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People give it way too much credit when, as I explained, it's more of an end result of simple deduction and logical reasoning.
It's incredibly easy to claim that in retrospect, but you'll understand that it's difficult to believe what you're saying when no one, not even the people who weren't dismissing casual games and who actively delved into them for character possibilities, landed on WFT through simple deduction and logical reasoning. You can claim that these imaginary people theoretically exist because a lot of people like to make Smash predictions, but that's not exactly a waterproof argument either, for reasons previously stated.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion

Edit: this way if a real leak comes around then we will know because it doesn't mention[insert obscure character here].I GOT IT!!! ok Queen Merelda from Wario Land Shake it. No one would see it coming!!!
Don Flamenco(Punch out.) and Youkuba(Mother 3) confirmed.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
No one seems to understand that adding Mii is the absolute worst possible addition to SSB. The Mii represents everything wrong with Nintendo and deny it if you will, but that is the Nintendo Wii. Sure, Nintendo Wii had quite some success during its lifetime, but that still does not eliminate the fact that it is seen as a child's console. Adding a Mii to the roster would only solidify this misconception. Remember, Super Smash Bros. 4 is a HARDCORE game in a HARDCORE franchise. Make no mistake, SSB has a cult following by a good group of fans (this website is proof). Besides the Wii Fit Trainer, who clearly is an icon for a new movement of "fitness" related gaming, the Mii has no appeal to hardcore gamers who have otherwise never touched a Wii for the purpose of customizing their own stupid avatar for what they believe is a stupid console.
**** Mii and everyone who wants it in the game. If the Mii is in the game there's not much we can do about it, but to everyone who does want the Mii in the game just proves that their backing this whole childish image that is blowing up in Nintendo's face. You don't support Nintendo if you want Mii in the game.
Why can't Miis remain as insignificant as the generic Xbox avatar? They don't deserve the Smash Bros. treatment, they're not iconic. They are worthless and in my opinion, the very poison of Nintendo.
If you wish to discuss Miis please do so in the Character Discussion Thread or the Mii Thread. This thread is for discussing leaks.

Last edited:

DarkGundam

Smash Apprentice
Sighed in just to say I agree with you. Neo-Nintendo is horrible.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This pertains to the Mii rumor, smart guy.
Your RANT doesn't exactly pertain to the discussion.
Well, that, and dissing a mod isn't exactly something you do. Believe me, I know.

Anyway, I'm still on the side that think there's some credence to the "leak" that predicted Little Mac and Wii Fit Trainer and all that, just because the dude never gave a time frame he predicted them in.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
It's incredibly easy to claim that in retrospect, but you'll understand that it's difficult to believe what you're saying when no one, not even the people who weren't dismissing casual games and who actively delved into them for character possibilities, landed on WFT through simple deduction and logical reasoning.
Lord Sakurai, this. Everybody downplays how likely it would be to guess all of those characters if one just "thought about it" but they completely ignore the fact that this is pretty much the only post that seriously considered her, and even if she was more common, the chances of this happening still go way down when the post is compounded with 5 additional characters.
The chances of one of these characters being a right choice may not be so small, but the chance of them all being right is extraordinarily small. Saying "lucky" and "educated" guesses got him this far is basically saying that instead of being tipped off, the man basically just drew a lottery ticket 3 times, and won twice with the last ticket still pending based off of feeling that there will be some sevens in the winning ticket.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This pertains to the Mii rumor, smart guy.
You gave your opinion against Miis as possible characters, never mentioning the rumor itself. I'll leave you with a warning for now.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's incredibly easy to claim that in retrospect, but you'll understand that it's difficult to believe what you're saying when no one, not even the people who weren't dismissing casual games and who actively delved into them for character possibilities, landed on WFT through simple deduction and logical reasoning.
Just because a certain conclusion isn't reached very often doesn't mean it's impossible plus I wouldn't say that nobody considered all the factors, just very few that didn't get much attention simply because WFT hardly had a following compared to the likes of Megaman and Ridley. People gave this too much of a mystic quality and a lot of the conclusions I'm seeing are laden with logical fallacies.

"Only people who don't want Pac-Man or Mii believe it."- Poisoning the well.
Saying it's impossible for it to happen. - Exaggerating statistics
Absolutely trusting the "leaker." -Doesn't mean the person isn't capable of guessing or flatout lying, regardless if he's told the truth before.

WFT is pretty much in the same boat as Game and Watch and ROB and was definitely a curveball but, again, I think this matter has a lot more to do with saving face than statistical impossibilities.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just to give my own opinion on the E3 rumor, I think there's still enough going for it that we shouldn't automatically dismiss it, granted though, like any rumor it should be taken with a grain of salt and be seen as fake until proven real.

I'm just in the boat of finding it hard to believe a person correctly guessed such a curve ball as the WFT, as well as the Villager, who was at one point openly dismissed as a possible character by Sakurai himself. I do realize that 3 of the 6 only being shown at E3 is a strike against it's creditability, but at the same I can't help but remember Nintendo opting to not show off Retro's new game at E3 2012 at the last minute, as well as mentions of not showing off anything Zelda Wii U related despite there being enough to show.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Trying to predict Wii Fit Trainer is like trying to predict Game and Watch, Rob, and Ice climbers. But still... The leaky 3? I don't think its true...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I heard a rumor that a moderator was murdered because they thought regulating a video game forum was an actual job (SPOILER ALEEERT: It really isn't a job, but they feel superior like a cop when they regulate "off-topic discussions") and now Sakurai is thinking about adding their corpse to the game as a playable character. I heard their moveset is so broken... Even more broken than the Mii. idk guys just something I heard, tell me guys what you think:b::bee:
Stop. Just, stop...

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
I heard a rumor that a moderator was murdered because they thought regulating a video game forum was an actual job (SPOILER ALEEERT: It really isn't a job, but they feel superior like a cop when they regulate "off-topic discussions") and now Sakurai is thinking about adding their corpse to the game as a playable character. I heard their moveset is so broken... Even more broken than the Mii. idk guys just something I heard, tell me guys what you think:b::bee:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hey let's not go to the to offending the mod territory.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Villager's another good example because many of us dismissed the idea that Sakurai could change his mind about certain characters but, again, it was a factor on the table the whole time. I still see it as a case of casting your net out wide with two of them being the most popular third party character picks, one being one of the most popular picks, and three being from extremely successful franchises not already represented in Smash.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The villager seemed like he was going to be in brawl in the first place. Theres an animal crossing section for trophies in brawl. Theres a stage, items, etc. Anyone could've guessed he would've been in the next one.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I do realize that 3 of the 6 only being shown at E3 is a strike against it's creditability, but at the same I can't help but remember Nintendo opting to not show off Retro's new game at E3 2012 at the last minute, as well as mentions of not showing off anything Zelda Wii U related despite there being enough to show.
I think it's possible he didn't actually know what characters were going to be announced at E3, these are just the six characters he knew were in the game and he threw them all out in his post. You're right though, that's probably the only real knock on its authenticity.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just because a certain conclusion isn't reached very often doesn't mean it's impossible plus I wouldn't say that nobody considered all the factors, just very few that didn't get much attention simply because WFT hardly had a following compared to the likes of Megaman and Ridley. People gave this too much of a mystic quality and a lot of the conclusions I'm seeing are laden with logical fallacies.

"Only people who don't want Pac-Man or Mii believe it."- Poisoning the well.
Saying it's impossible for it to happen. - Exaggerating statistics
Absolutely trusting the "leaker." -Doesn't mean the person isn't capable of guessing or flatout lying, regardless if he's told the truth before.

WFT is pretty much in the same boat as Game and Watch and ROB and was definitely a curveball but, again, I think this matter has a lot more to do with saving face than statistical impossibilities.
You could count on one hand the number of characters who do have a following as large as Mega Man or Ridley's. I agree with you that black-or-white statements of 'impossible' or 'definitely true' are hyperbolic. That being said, it's quite easy to assume that people who don't want Pacman or Mii are among the disbelievers because several of them frequently post about how the leak is false because Pacman has no chance; they dismiss him because he's unpopular by their definition of popular, or because they falsely equate the "Namco doesn't get priority" claim with the idea that none of their characters are remotely possible.

Remember when Game & Watch and ROB were leaked for Melee and Brawl, respectively? People shot down those leaks too because of any number of "counterpoints," and yet those were ultimately true as well. Granted, those situations are a bit different, but this is one instance where I simply cannot believe in good faith that this guy's "net toss" was perfect to the point where he snagged WFT, Mega Man, and Villager in one fell swoop. Others will never not disagree, and that's on them at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just to clarify, it very well could have been a legitimate leak but I'm not convinced given what we know. Yes, hindsight is 20/20 but that's how science develops. A big part of the scientific method is checking and rechecking everything and sometimes it turns out you missed something obvious that you wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't had done the experiment in the first place. My argument is that people give it way too much credit and hold it up as downright inarguable, not that it's entirely impossible.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I think the idea of Snake being cut is a complete myth perpetuated by Smash spectators only. That's how you can tell if a rumor is fake, especially if they say "he's on the chopping block due to rights issues."

In E3 Sakurai said there were no cuts at the time, meaning that Snake was still intended to be included at that time. If there was an issue with Konami, he would have been cut immediately. He's either in or out. There's no maybe.

His statement would imply that cuts would only be made for the sake of time or technical limitations. If they already jumped through the hoops to get and keep Snake, I doubt he'd be the first one to go. So honestly, I disregard any rumor that says Snake is cut (at this point, I'm starting to discredit rumors with any cuts).

Clamoring for cuts stems from Smash speculators' love of "muh patterns!" They are so obsessed with this idea that they forget that Brawl didn't have a single trash, throwaway character. Melee did, and in addition to Mewtwo, those were the ones that were cut. And we can see from the Brawl files that Mewtwo almost made it in.

If Sakurai really gets the enormous amount of development time that we think he'll get (and has already had, honestly) without wasting 60% of it on a single player mode, in addition to not having to build the engine and models from scratch, I'm having difficulty seeing why there needs to be any cuts.

Then again, you never know with Sakurai. Regardless, I think people should keep all this in mind when new rumors come up!
To be fair, a character who is still in talks hasnt been "cut", per se. That being said, I dont remember sakurai saying "no cuts" in the manner that you and others are using

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/197055...t_have_time_to_bring_all_characters_back.html
Designer Masahiro Sakurai explained the reason when NowGamer asked if all the previous characters will return.

"I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point," Sakurai explained.

"Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."
Sounds like"We'll do our best to avoid cuts".....not "no cuts". And adding new character certainly doesnt make that task easier. Whether he meant Just Brawl or the entire smash series is anyones guess, though.

And concerning Snake, if he is still in talks for some reason I wouldnt worry since they dont have to completely remake his moveset or perhaps even his model (upgrade the old model?), so I dont believe it would cause the delay that Sonic's original inclusion caused.

andimidna

Smash Master
So, you admit they can't work as a character huh?
And you admit my idea can work, but your preferences are getting in the way.
In other words, "bias".

No, all it does is separate them further. If anything, it makes it worse.

Now you're grasping at straws here.
You're attempting to put two unrelated ideas together.

Really? Cause I can think of plenty.

But here, I can do one better.
Let's make them the picture you see on your profile. Like KI:U.
That way they can be customizable, and we can treat them like they are. An avatar.
I hope that's all they are. I would like a "create an avatar" mode building pieces from other characters, but I hope Miis just stay on the profile. If I could fight as one, I wouldn't. Just like I never play as the Mii in Mario Kart... I'd rather play as a character.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think it's possible he didn't actually know what characters were going to be announced at E3, these are just the six characters he knew were in the game and he threw them all out in his post. You're right though, that's probably the only real knock on its authenticity.
There's still that possibly. Heck for all we know the guy saw the Direct ahead of time or even helped set up the Nintendo booth, and just added the other 3 characters for fun/to throw people off.

Just to clarify, it very well could have been a legitimate leak but I'm not convinced given what we know. Yes, hindsight is 20/20 but that's how science develops. A big part of the scientific method is checking and rechecking everything and sometimes it turns out you missed something obvious that you wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't had done the experiment in the first place. My argument is that people give it way too much credit and hold it up as downright inarguable, not that it's entirely impossible.
Agreed. Fake until proven real. But at least there's four characters down, two to go.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
To be fair, a character who is still in talks hasnt been "cut", per se. That being said, I dont remember sakurai saying "no cuts" in the manner that you and others are using

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/197055...t_have_time_to_bring_all_characters_back.html

Sounds like"We'll do our best to avoid cuts".....not "no cuts". And adding new character certainly doesnt make that task easier. Whether he meant Just Brawl or the entire smash series is anyones guess, though.

And concerning Snake, if he is still in talks for some reason I wouldnt worry since they dont have to completely remake his moveset or perhaps even his model (upgrade the old model?), so I dont believe it would cause the delay that Sonic's original inclusion caused.
"We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point"
Sounds like Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Roy to me.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I hope that's all they are. I would like a "create an avatar" mode building pieces from other characters, but I hope Miis just stay on the profile. If I could fight as one, I wouldn't. Just like I never play as the Mii in Mario Kart... I'd rather play as a character.
It all makes sense now.
You want the mode because you hate Miis so much. That all.
You don't want customization, you just want the fans to go away.

That's a stupid reason. I may not like Ridley, but at least I consider his fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom