• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With the reveal of the Mario Galaxy Stage the Namco worker rumour is false.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I usually go by this saying on rumors: The more detailed it is, the more likely it's fake. Plus I don't listen to 4chan at all when it comes to leaks. Not to mention I don't think Smash news will be a big enough of a surprise for the VGX Awards. But I'll always welcome to the idea of Miis in Smash.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
The leak would seem interesting but really only one newcomer in the horizon for this year, I hope at least there is one more character revealed like Little Mac, Ridley or something unexpected as surprise.
.n_n.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
The only reason I'm putting any credence in this is because today's Daily Picture is showcasing a Find Mii 2/StreetPass Quest stage for the 3DS

[COLLAPSE=An actual spoiler]
and the the fact that an Italian gamesite leaked the cover for Tropical Freeze showing Cranky as the fourth Kong and likely the fourth playable character; it's posted in the K. Rool character discussion thread for those who haven't seen it and/or don't believe it.

EDIT: Also, now that I'm catching up because Cashboards, it was posted in the Social thread too, so I guess not much of a spoiler anymore, but it was in spoilers there, so it's in spoilers here.
[/COLLAPSE]

So I actually see this as pretty likely true, no matter how much I'd rather not see Mii's get in. But I agree with Zhadgon, I can't see just one character (and that character being the Mii) being all we get, especially considering it's VGX, and I'm sure the "manly men" would rather see somebody like Little Mac (MUH BOXING/WRESTLING).

...Explain to me why Little Mac wouldn't be the perfect reveal for an awards show on Spike, considering what he represents?

Oh well, hopefully there's the 2014 Games Direct coming up soon (if not this month, then definitely next), and we're sure to get more newcomers then, as SM4SH is obviously one of the hard-hitters for 2014 and they're gonna start ramping up the promotion as it gets closer to release.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I can see getting two new comers this time and in the Nintendo Direct of next year getting a third until the E3, where we will get two newcomers again and finally a Nintendo Direct exclusively for Smash where Sakurai shows the final character, that leads me to my forecast as much what did happen with Mega Man and Villager announced the same way and Wii Fit Trainer announced close in a direct with E3 of the last year.

.n_n.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
reggie joke kind of makes the vgx leak very plausible, dont know whether to hope it's true for a spring release or hope it's false because mii is such a stuid character.

sidenote: anyway you can record a stream?

D

Deleted member

I bet that the Reggie rumor is false since the roster was made prior to E3 and I think that it's just a giant joke just to get more people to sign the petition.

…Or at least I hope that it's false. I don't hate Reggie, but seeing him in Smash Bros. would make me feel very displeased. It's definitely a worse idea than having Miis in the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
More newcomers could always be revealed in later Directs. In fact, having other newcomers revealed in Directs leading up to Smash's release would be a better way to keep up the hype than to blow it all at once, and since the leak also says Spring 2014 they wouldn't have to keep the hype up for too long. So if Mii is revealed at VGX, then we could see another newcomer in January, then maybe take a month off to reveal a veteran instead, then reveal another newcomer in March, veteran/newcomer in April, then release it in May, maybe have a character reveal before that. Then we'd have a starting roster of 23/24 characters, which is still more than Brawl's 21, and that's not counting the possibility of 2 character reveals some months, though I'm not counting 3rd parties as unlockables either.

Either way, revealing only Mii would still be okay for them. I kind of wonder why they wouldn't reveal Pac-Man instead, since if the rumor is true they won't make it to another E3 before release, and a 3rd party is a much bigger reveal. But eh.

Btw, I'm not sold on the rumor just yet, but it's still fun imagining the scenario going forward.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Again, remember this might not even be smash. It may be Zelda WiiU for all we know, discounting rumors.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master

Might as well stick this s*** in here before the Pac-Man s***storm starts up again.
I was ok with this until "Mii joins the melee!"....

Not saying it's impossible, but I seriously doubt they'll be using the word 'melee' for any character intro.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Might as well stick this s*** in here before the Pac-Man s***storm starts up again.

I'm actually OK with this. Not sure if the Mii is customizable, though. But, it's not actually Reggie joining if it is customizable, it's just the default skin for it.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Just going to copypaste something I said in the "Reggie is teasing something at VGX in 2 weeks" thread.
Captain Hotcakes said:
When I first saw all these rumors and Twitter posts, I felt noxious at the idea of Reggie being a considerable possibility. I think some of you may scantly remember an 'anti-character thread' I made about him some time back. But after some deductive reasoning, this Reggie rumor appears to be false.

Exhibit A: Reggie makes a joke about his Final Smash being "My Body Is Ready Slam". No indications, hastags, or links pertaining to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS, Sora Ltd., or Masahiro Sakurai.
Exhibit B: Holly Bowen claims that Reggie said Sakurai may considerably add him if the petition for his inclusion gets 100,000 signatures. Holly Bowen may just be paraphrasing things he said in an interview in a way that makes Reggie's 'joke' appear more literal. From her Twitter to her Linkedin page, there are no job titles or listings associated with any of Nintendo's businesses. In later posts after the post detailed above, her wording remains ambiguous, mentioning Reggie "not being serious when he said that."
Exhibit C: Masahiro Sakurai has no word on this matter.

This really all just seems like a publicity stunt to hype people up for VGX. If anything Smash related is shown, we're going to get one or more newcomers from a hardcore franchise. Besides, Reggie vying to get a shameless plug for his cult of personali-meme in a video games is an idea that disgusts me, as funny as it is. We're talking about the guy who's partially responsible for Nintendo's business shortcomings here
The best part about all this...

REGGIE HAS NEVER MENTIONED SAKURAI ANYWHERE HERE!

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Not
Why shouldn't they?
Not shouldn't... won't.

With all the backlash from the Wii U's name and "customer confusion", I sincerely doubt they'll be using the words "Melee" or "Brawl" (or 64 har har) for any marketing or advertising around this game.

So "Mii joins the Melee!" just seems (to me) like somebody is trying too hard to make this seem believable by using alliteration.
Especially considering that the strategy isn't what has been used for the newcomers so far. "Wii Fit Trainer weighs in", "Villager comes to town", and "Megaman joins the battle" are all fairly witty intro statements, rather than just trying to be catchphrases or alliteration, etc.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think you know how numbers work. As you pointed out, about 25% of people want him. This is very low. This means there is another 75 percent of people that don't want him (as the poll was unlimited, you can mark off whomever).
You do realize my point was not the quantity of the support, which I never claimed was high, merely the fact that it existed, which it obviously does, as you've now admitted yourself.

That said, if you extrapolate his 1:4 ratio (which due to his wide recognition among consumers will remain fairly constant) to the lifetime sales of Smash 4... let's say roughly 12 mil, logically it wouldn't be too much assume one fourth of those consumers would enjoy seeing Pac-Man, which, at roughly three million, is an audience that will only be reached by Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda (maybe DK) characters at this point, or other iconic third-parties. Do you think 3 million people would be influenced by the inclusion of Shulk, or Isaac, or Palutena, or Chrom? I doubt it. In the tiny sample size of a certain demographic that the poll represents, he's... of lukewarm popularity, and yeah, he's likely not going to get any more popular, but other characters will certainly get less popular with a larger sample size and a wider array of demographics, whom Sakurai values more than he does us.

For a fun comparison, Obama's approval rating is higher than Pac-Man's (even after the Health Care Bill debacle).
Quite the achievement, considering every character on that poll other than the top three can be accused of the exact same thing. :rolleyes:

It should be noted that in the same poll there are 15 other Nintendo characters that are beating Pac-Man. It should also be noted that both Sonic and Megaman were at the top the polls. Pac-Man can't even break the top 15.
This is assuming the only possible way a third-party can be included is by topping the popularity charts (though even when Mega Man did it wasn't good enough for you). There have been extenuating circumstances in the past that lead to the inclusion of third-parties who otherwise wouldn't be at the top of the polls either, and while the creator of Pac-Man might not be bffs with Sakurai, Namco's involvement isn't something that can go ignored as far as roster potential is concerned.

On the same token, Japan doesn't even talk about him.
He's no Tales character, but indeed they do.

Ummm, yeah. A lot of people complain about clones.
Yeah, when people idealize the roster, they obviously want original movesets above cloned ones, but once included, at least with Brawl, they're pretty fully and positively embraced. If the majority of people shared your mentality that lack of original moveset equaled boring character, they wouldn't all have relatively equal play time, at least according to Sakurai. We certainly wouldn't have gotten Falco and Ganondorf over Mewtwo in Brawl. I guess in regards to Smash some clones were even more popular than characters with original movesets, huh?

Not that this applies to Pac-Man, as he wouldn't be a clone, but even if he was, he'd still have his popularity, which means somebody must find him interesting, even if you don't.

Megaman, Sonic and Snake all bring unique moves and abilities. Which makes sense. They aren't Nintendo characters, so they should have abilities Nintendo characters can't do right? For putting in the work and effort to put them into the game, they should pay off with unique abilities. Pac-Man's abilities are all things the Nintendo characters already do and adding him is actually redundancy.
I agree, if you're going to add Pac-Man, you better make him original. So, in that vein, please tell me, which characters' bite, or eating ability in general carries them across the stage? Because Pac-Man's can. Which character brings out an item, then charges that item and throws it with power relative to how long the item was held, like Pac-Man could with Pac-Dots? How about a recovery move where you would create a chain of Pac-dots, be able to freely control the direction the chain traveled (like the coin snakes in SMW as a very loose comparison), and then have Pac-Man follow that trajectory? Which character's recovery functions like that? As for the Butt Bounce... you say two characters already do this. Perhaps you think slamming and bouncing are the same, but considering one keeps you grounded and the other sends you back into the air, with the potential to chain another bounce or make a quick follow-up attack, I'd say even if similar in initial execution, they're hardly the same. With logic like this we'd only have one sword-user.

And what about his Electro-Shock ability? Sure, other characters could be capable of doing something pretty similar, but none of them actually do, not even Pikachu. Or his radial shockwaves, not something any other character does last time I checked. The truth is Pac-Man has more to work with than several characters already on the roster who, even with limited or no previous potential, wound up with original movesets.
Eating, his primary abilitiy, is also done by 4 characters. His Rev Roll by 2. His Butt Bounce by 2. Wario already becomes a super hero. And none of the abilities in the new Pac-Man game (that bombed) are new.
Well if eating is already done by four characters, unless all four were added in 64 (which isn't the case) then it seems new characters can still be added with existing abilities. If Jigglypuff already had a chargeable roll, aren't Sonic's chargeable rolls something the Nintendo characters already do, and wouldn't his inclusion, or at least the implementation of not just one chargeable rolling attack, but two, be redundant, and therefore, not worthy of inclusion? By your logic it is. By Sakurai's it's not. Because, surprise surprise, like I said previously, there are different ways of implementing an ability. If Kirby's inhale and Yoshi's tongue can be labeled under the same umbrella and used to justify the exclusion of all other attacks that involve consumption, by that mentality we shouldn't get any more characters that use swords. Or magic. Or pretty much every kind of elemental power or attack.

And if having one superhero is reason to not have any more, thank goodness you weren't involved in the creation of the Injustice or MvC rosters. :smirk:

You say being unique doesn't matter, but it's one of the main criteria for characters.
One, please tell me where I said being unique doesn't matter for inclusion, and two, (not that it will apply to Pac-Man), considering all the clones and semi-clones that have been added over the years, it's clearly not a rule as rigid to Sakurai as it is to you.

As an aside, here is something Sakurai said on Sonic

In the same vain, believing Sonic is just "a really fast character" would be incorrect. In studying Sonic's movement in the original Sega Genesis games, Sakurai saw that he is, in fact, a slow and heavy character when he's moving around at normal speeds. The big difference between slow and fast is what gave Sonic the appearance of super-fast speed once he got going. And since Sonic never really punched or kicked enemies in his games, Sakurai gave him a basic punch, punch, kick combo—the same basic combo used in Sega's Virtua Fighter series.
You can do this with Sonic, Snake and Megaman. But how can you do it with a character that, in the 80s, ran around a maze and since has had a huge identity crisis.
So... you're saying Pac-Man's capabilities are too limited to be original at this point, he's mostly known for only one thing that can't really be fleshed out, and to back this up you posted a quote proving how Sakurai took a character thought by some as known only for one thing, was able to look past that to find depth and flesh out a whole moveset and playstyle, and even took material from different series in the composition of the moveset when he couldn't find what he was looking for?

You are still against Pac-Man, right? ;)

It's not like Sakurai is limited to drawing potential from solely one arcade game. That'd be like relegating Donkey Kong to throwing barrels. Pac-Man has done stuff since then that can be drawn from, believe it or not.

Your missing the point. Megaman has moves that are unique to him. He has his Rush Coil, his blaster, slide and all the Robot Master abilities. Snake uses a ton of weapons from his game like the claymore and the Missile. He has other explosive military style weapons and his CQC. He can even crawl and use his box. Sonic brings his blinging speed which no other character does (he outclasses Captain Falcon by quite a lot). He also has the homing attack and spin dash and abilities from Sonic the Fighter and Sonic Battle. Sakurai has taken creative liberties with Sonic and Snake (less so with Megaman). This is because they have distinct abilities and characteristics that set them apart so you can derive moves for them. Pac-Man doesn't have this. In his primary game, he is a circle who runs around and eats things and he has no distinct identity in his other games. So what are you going to do with him.
Apart from a unique way of implementing his bite power reminiscent of the arcade game, bouncing, shockwaves, horizontal electrical bolts, creating chains of pac-dots, throwing exploding pac-dots, turning metal, shooting out miniature versions of himself, creating explosive trails, any number of abilities from the Power Berries, and turning other characters into powerless flashing blue versions of themselves, nothing. I guess you're right. :troll:

The problem with the paragraph is it puts the cart before the horse. You assume he'd be in and then a moveset would be created rather than adding a character because they have unique abilities.
So do you actually mean to imply Sonic was added primarily for his playstyle and moveset and the fact that he was Sonic, the most popular request in Smash history, was secondary? None of the third-parties to date have gotten in due to their "unique abilities", they got in due to who they are, and then the moveset was created afterwards. The character by and large is the first step in most cases, except in rare cases like Captain Falcon, who was chosen due to being similar to the prototype. Obviously the character can't move past the initial phases of planning if they don't present any feasible way of implementation, but if "unique abilities" were the top priority, we'd be seeing characters like Zoroark, Muddy Mole, and Balloon Fighter at the top of the likelihood lists, and characters like Chrom would be nowhere to be seen. We wouldn't have gotten Ike when there were choices like Hector and Ephraim present. We wouldn't have gotten five clones instead of Dedede. If unique abilities were of the utmost importance, more than the characters themselves, the official polls would've asked for attributes and abilities you want to see, not characters.

GoldenYuiitusin said:
With Sonic, I was never hyped for what Sonic would be like (and I'm actually quite disappointed with the turnout, really), but was hyped for who he was.
This is, for the most part, why they get in.

BTW, your examples are terrible. Your suggesting to make his bite either like the Triple Rush or just make it an attack. So original
Yes, I can see how that would look fairly unoriginal to someone who thinks inhaling, biting, and using a tongue are all the same thing. :smirk:

One thing people forget is that these are third party characters. Guest characters. Sakurai is not going to add them just because. This is coming from the creators mouth.
Smash Bros. can still be considered as an all-star collection of Nintendo characters. Just like with Mega Man or any other third-party character, it would have to be a very special situation.
Seems like this reply would be better suited to someone who actually said Pac-Man's chances were undebatably high. My point was that he does have potential, some level of popularity, and whether or not he's interesting is a matter of opinion. I never said his chances were stellar. I said he has decent chances, and I stand by that. I think a gaming giant and a constant collaborator with Nintendo such as Namco working on a triple-A Nintendo title is a pretty special situation, and I don't think the inclusion of Namco's mascot, most popular character, and overall gaming icon would be regarded as "willy-nilly" considering the situation, but I'm not pretending as if his chances are unshakable. The jury is still out on this one, and we'll have to wait for the verdict. Just like we did about Mega Man and the possibility of returning third parties.

Forget logic and reason. Ad Hominids all day

These post are always funny. People get upset when I specifically make a post. The post that got everyone in a tizzy was a response to someone else where I was agreeing with. It's not to throw that person under the bus. Just more pointing out how people target me. Kind of funny to watch them try.
Forget logic and reason indeed. Though I do wonder how you justify to yourself those times you wind up being wrong, considering you seem to think and act like you're unquestionably right all the time. :ohwell:

Butter luck next time NEON.

You can reply to me if you want (the Pac-Man thread would be the place to do it though), but I have no intention of furthering this debate, I've done this enough times to know there's very little progress to be made. My original point is pretty much established anyway, I've proved his potential, which you are free to still ignore, you've acknowledged his popularity, for whatever it's worth, and I can only hope the distinction between opinion and fact is evident. If not you can always go check the poll to see 600 people who presumably think Pac-Man is interesting. By the way, I'm not one of them.

Oh boy. Walls of text that are vaguely on-topic.

Good thing I don't bother reading them. :p
I envy the amount of brain cells you've saved. :p

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
>Says there is very little progress to be made here
>Still posts wall of text

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
. . . . . . . . . .
Knock yourself out.
I think mimgrim accomplished that for me, but when SmashChu comes a-knockin, it'd be rude not to answer, right? R-right? :troll:

This is the sole reason I liked this post. As I really don't care either way for Pacman. But that GiF, Undead Jack Sparrow confirmed for Smash4. :awesome:

EDIT - Oh and I'm stealing that gif.
The funny thing is people will probably label me a Pac-Man supporter now, but I don't care either way about him either, I just recognize that saying he has no potential, popularity, or interesting qualities is at best overly opinionated and at worst ignorant.

And yeah, go ahead. If people only used images they actually created the total amount of "likes" that have been given out on here would be reduced by like 75%. :rolleyes:

Seems reasonable enough, but my bet's on it being fake. First off, I doubt the trailer for Mii would focus so much on Wii Fit Trainer's elements. WFT's trailer didn't even include Villager or Mega Man, Mega Man's didn't include Villager, I doubt newcomer trailers would infringe on other newcomers to that extent. Especially since even if Reggie's Mii is shown, the character itself will still obviously be the regular Mii. And one of the main attractions about the Mii is it can look like any number of people, yet they only show Reggie's? I dunno about that.

Plus, even with the pun, I doubt melee (or brawl) will be used to describe Smash this time around.

Oh and even though Cranky Kong likely was included in this rumor to help bolster its legitimacy, personally it makes it seem only that more fake to me. Including the thing that recently leaked, with no information at all about the actual trailer or anything? This guy apparently is setting up the Nintendo stuff at VGX and can't even describe the second trailer, which he would clearly be involved with, past the one thing we already know, yet he goes into such detail over Smash? Seems like it's just thrown in to anchor the rumor's reputation to me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smashchu said Sonic got the basic "punch, punch, kick" combo from Virtua Fighter games.

Well, Pac-Man could get something from Tekken or even Soulcalibur. :troll:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The funny thing is people will probably label me a Pac-Man supporter now, but I don't care either way about him either, I just recognize that saying he has no potential, popularity, or interesting qualities is at best overly opinionated and at worst ignorant.

He has popularity, but is rather low key when compared to the likes of Sonic or even Mega Man, which was the driving factor of why they got in. I only see Pac-Man getting in as a Snake scenario, in that he has to be asked for and practically begged for by some of the NB people working with Sakurai and from some articles I have read, I don't see that happening. In fact if I were honest I would say a Tales of character has a better chance of getting over Pac-Man going by some of those same articles xD.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Smashchu said Sonic got the basic "punch, punch, kick" combo from Virtua Fighter games.

Well, Pac-Man could get something from Tekken or even Soulcalibur. :troll:
Haha yeah, pretty funny how he basically said Pac-Man has nothing to work with then quoted an excerpt where Sakurai took attacks from a whole other series when at a loss with a third-party. I don't even really need to present opposing points when he can do it all by himself. :smirk:

He has popularity, but is rather low key when compared to the likes of Sonic or even Mega Man, which was the driving factor of why they got in. I only see Pac-Man getting in as a Snake scenario, in that he has to be asked for and practically begged for by some of the NB people working with Sakurai and from some articles I have read, I don't see that happening. In fact if I were honest I would say a Tales of character has a better chance of getting over Pac-Man going by some of those same articles xD.
I more or less agree (other than the Tales part - I still think Pac-Man is the choice for a Namco character), but I was never trying to say Pac-Man is a popular pick, just that he has popularity. Doesn't mean it's a lot of popularity.
The people who say Pac-Man has no potential are wrong. The people who say no one would want to see Pac-Man are wrong. The people who say Pac-Man isn't interesting are confusing opinion for fact. That said, Pac-Man wouldn't, nor would any character, be able to bring hype anywhere close to the levels Sonic did for Brawl. Mega Man can't, Ridley can't, Mewtwo can't. No one will be able to replicate it again.

Just because people know Pac-Man doesn't mean people necessarily want Pac-Man or will lose their minds if he's included. Just because we're a minority demographic doesn't mean the more casuals are automatically opposite from us. If Pac-Man was still as hot as people claimed, the reception to his games would be a lot louder and a lot more noticeable. He's riding on coattails from thirty years ago, and yes, he would make sense as a Namco addition, and there's a decent chance he'll be added, but he's no Sonic. He's not even Mega Man.
Though, like I said in my reply to SmashChu, if the Pac-Man talk is to continue, it should probably move to his thread.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Normally I wouldn't have expected the game to release before Q3/Q4, but since multiple retailers have listed it for Q2, I'm coming around to the chance it might release earlier than most expected, though I'm not getting my hopes up. Plus the Wii U version has only ever been given obvious placeholder dates, so my guess is that one might be further off, maybe holiday 2014, which makes sense if Nintendo has no other triple-A material for that time of year.

Plus John originally said it wouldn't come out til 2017 and I'd like to see his reaction to being so incredibly wrong. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom