• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide [SSB4] Kirby's Epic Guide (ver. 2.1)

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Was kind of hoping you'd give more insight than just that comment. Do you mean be patient and wait? Use spacing? Because in some cases, you're dealing with a ranged character who will just zone you to death instead of approach, other times, you'll have somebody who will approach and then immediately run away if they whiff an attack, or see your shield. Don't forget those who have superior priority and range on their melee attacks too, and can also kill us sooner than we can kill them...

All these things are issues I 'm constantly running into. I'd be really nice if we could follow up with comboes on our grabs, most of the time I feel like I'm just grabbing and throwing to defend myself without much else to do, because we're too slow to follow up.

I'm really stuck and not sure how to get past this wall that I've hit. I hope I don't sound rude.

Last edited:

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
Was kind of hoping you'd give more insight than just that comment. Do you mean be patient and wait? Use spacing? Because in some cases, you're dealing with a ranged character who will just zone you to death instead of approach, other times, you'll have somebody who will approach and then immediately run away if they whiff an attack, or see your shield. Don't forget those who have superior priority and range on their melee attacks too, and can also kill us sooner than we can kill them...

All these things are issues I 'm constantly running into. I'd be really nice if we could follow up with comboes on our grabs, most of the time I feel like I'm just grabbing and throwing to defend myself without much else to do, because we're too slow to follow up.

I'm really stuck and not sure how to get past this wall that I've hit. I hope I don't sound rude.
I see what your getting at. It is a shame that Kirby doesn't have much going for him... no superiority, speed, range, power, manuverabilty over the others . hhmmm We gotta think of something; kirby had similar problems in brawl but won 90% of my games. Playing passive agressively... Nether the less I guess we can't use the same strategy on every character we fight.
But let's keep working at it we will discover something.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
We need Chudat the hero to show us how it's done again ;_;7

It is definitely frustrating how grabbing is a big part of Kirby's game, but you should usually just use the throw that does the most damage (upthrow) because he has very few or no combos, oftentimes even at 0%. You can Bthrow->Bair a good number of characters at 0%, and you can sometimes Fthrow->Fair some characters at 0%, but that's about it. I've had Fthrow->Final Cutter work at low percents depending on how they DI, but of course that's risky. It's just annoying because in comparison, Dedede. He's a big heavy character that obviously isn't as combo-centric as Kirby is, yet his Dthrow seems to combo into aerials at a LOT of percents, plus of course his grab range is huge. Kind of butts.

I say use more tilts. Well spaced Ftilts are a good spacing tool, and Dtilt makes you super short. Abuse Kirby's low crouch and gimping ability. You need to really think about it when you're gimping, you can't just blindly jump in and Dair and guarantee a gimp. A LOT of players like to save their double jump and Up B until the last moment, because it would be easier to gimp them with Dair if they used it sooner. So be patient while they're recovering, and try to meteor them and get an easy KO. Stone also works if you're up high and they think they're safe because it would take too long for you to fall down on them. ONLY use Stone offstage, and safely, unless you want to risk being punished. Use Dsmash if you're edgeguarding and for some reason they regrab the ledge without getting hit, and thus have no ledge invincibility.

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
We need Chudat the hero to show us how it's done again ;_;7

It is definitely frustrating how grabbing is a big part of Kirby's game, but you should usually just use the throw that does the most damage (upthrow) because he has very few or no combos, oftentimes even at 0%. You can Bthrow->Bair a good number of characters at 0%, and you can sometimes Fthrow->Fair some characters at 0%, but that's about it. I've had Fthrow->Final Cutter work at low percents depending on how they DI, but of course that's risky. It's just annoying because in comparison, Dedede. He's a big heavy character that obviously isn't as combo-centric as Kirby is, yet his Dthrow seems to combo into aerials at a LOT of percents, plus of course his grab range is huge. Kind of butts.

I say use more tilts. Well spaced Ftilts are a good spacing tool, and Dtilt makes you super short. Abuse Kirby's low crouch and gimping ability. You need to really think about it when you're gimping, you can't just blindly jump in and Dair and guarantee a gimp. A LOT of players like to save their double jump and Up B until the last moment, because it would be easier to gimp them with Dair if they used it sooner. So be patient while they're recovering, and try to meteor them and get an easy KO. Stone also works if you're up high and they think they're safe because it would take too long for you to fall down on them. ONLY use Stone offstage, and safely, unless you want to risk being punished. Use Dsmash if you're edgeguarding and for some reason they regrab the ledge without getting hit, and thus have no ledge invincibility.
Back - air is a option too. And Lets scare them move like Hammer Flip.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'll be talking more about what I said later today, and what I personally think we, as the Kirby community, are doing wrong.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm pretty darn lazy, so this isn't going to be some guide-length lecture on Kirby or something.

---

From the videos I've seen from Kirby players, whether YouTube, Streamers, or SmashBoards videos, so far, nobody is playing Kirby with a "correct" mindset ("correct", as there's no specific mindset in Smash). People are playing Kirby extremely aggressively, as if they're playing a rush-down character like Sheik or Lucina. Pretty much all of Kirby's moves are punishable on shield, which is incredibly stupid. Kirby was designed as an aggressive character, but nerfed to a defensive character.

Now, here's my answers to a few common questions...

How do you approach with Kirby?

You don't. Simple as that. You need to bait your opponent, and then punish them. Now, do NOT think this is just sitting there and then shielding their approach. You can't follow the same style, either, or it'll become easy to read. SH B-Air shielded moves when they're behind you, grab when they're in front of you. Mix it up, too. Jump around, use aerials, just slowly rack up damage.

How do you deal with projectile spammers if you're not approaching?

This is where you mix it up. Switch to an aggressive playstyle, then when they start playing aggressively, switch to a defensive playstyle. Walk around, make them think you're vulnerable, DO NOT dash everywhere. You'll get caught in a projectile storm, as most projectiles are faster than Kirby himself. Just stay relaxed, and keep dodging projectiles until they decide to run up to you, then punish them.

Kirby gets DEMOLISHED against this character, so he obviously isn't viable, right?

No. Every character in the game has their bad MUs. Kirby has some bad MUs, but he also excels in other MUs. So far, from what I can tell, some of Kirby's worst MUs are Yoshi, Greninja, Sheik, and Rosalina. Some characters Kirby seems to excel against are ZSS, Robin, Shulk, and Captain Falcon.

Why does Inhale and Copy Ability suck so much? I should just be keeping it for Kirbycides, right?

It depends on the character, but quite a few characters have better Copy Abilities than most think. While I won't go into incredible detail on which ones are better, going down the roster, here's the characters that have pretty good Copy Abilities.

Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Mr. Game & Watch, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Palutena, Marth, Robin, King DeDeDe, Metaknight, Fox, Falco, Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Villager, Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina, Shulk, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic, and Mii Fighter.

Quite a list, covering almost the whole roster. Along with that, there's also a problem that has seem to arisen regarding Inhale vs Copy Ability. People seem to have forgotten that Kirby can get rid of his Copy Ability at any time during battle by taunting, along with the fact that he has one of the shortest taunts in the game (D-Taunt). You can use this in many ways, too. You can get a quick 10% on the opponent by inhaling them, then dropping the ability immediately after, you can switch between Inhale and an Ability mid-match to strategize, you can Kirbycide, you can follow up on Star Spit, you can use Copy Abilities in truly odd ways (ie: jumping off and using Bowser's Flame Breath to carry him down into his death), so mix it up.

Getting an Inhale without getting punished is so hard, it's useless to try to Copy!

This answer is an answer to the next question, so that's good. Use Custom Moves. Specifically, Jump Inhale. The reason I say this is because it, overall, is better than Inhale. It gives you extra recovery (although you don't really need it), a great way to leap over projectiles for an ability, CAN NOT be shielded, is generally safer than Inhale, and is an amazing way to get Kirbycides. Other than the obvious use of eating them with it while on stage, then flying off, it's also very effective to punish ledge campers while you're off-stage by using Jumping Inhale to grab them. This isn't just for Inhale, either. Final Cutter isn't that useful, but becomes incredibly useful with Upper Cutter, as you get added recovery, a better killing move, an easy stage spike on people trying to edgeguard you, and insane set-ups. Such as, U-Tilt to Upper Cutter can grab you a kill on most characters, and Copy to reversed Upper Cutter can get you a kill, too. Hammer Flip is debatable, but so far is proving to be better with Hammer Bash, as you can catch taller characters with it by SHing. Stone, although controversial, seems to do better with Meteor Stone, as you can catch ledge campers by falling into them, punish recoveries that don't latch onto the ledge, and grab kills on people like Pikachu who generally like to recover from above.

Kirby's specials are so punishable and useless, he basically has four less moves than other characters...

Above answer.

I keep winning at For Glory matches, but then I get destroyed by people here!

Stop playing For Glory. I'm sorry if this disappoints anybody, but For Glory is filled with players who don't know what they're doing. Yes, you'll run into the occasional good player, but you'll develop horrible habits, follow the same strategies, and generally not think about anything during matches. For Glory is really a bad place to try and get better. You should find people here to battle, instead. Also, the fact that you can't use custom moves while playing in For Glory is detrimental for Kirby. Don't think you're a pro because you have a high For Glory win rate, but you also shouldn't think you're bad because you have a bad win rate

Why is killing so hard with Kirby?

To be honest, it really isn't that hard. Using good reads, getting an U-Smash, D-Smash, or F-Smash in isn't really that hard. Study your opponent to quickly get a kill. D-Air to D-Smash works very well, D-Air to U-Smash works very well, too (choose D-Smash or U-Smash depending on where they land). Kirby also has one of the best edgeguarding games, able to easily kill most opponents with a D-Air to Footstool, stage spike, or killing them with F-Air strings or off-stage B-Airs. He also has other options, such as the Copy Abilities that can kill (ie: Charge Shot, Thoron), Kirbycide, and Upper Cutter set-ups. I can get kills within seconds of a match just by faking out opponents to trick them into a D-Air off stage.

When I try to edgeguard, my opponent always grabs the ledge/gets on stage/avoids me before I can hit them!

This is something which is actually easily solved, and which is why Kirby has a big chance of being a good character. Kirby has one of, if not, the BEST edgeguarding game. What I've seen quite a lot, and heard more than often is that people only try to go for D-Airs while off-stage. You need to pressure your opponent while they're off-stage. Float around, use F-Airs, B-Air them away, pretend you're going to hit them, then punish their air dodge, stage spike them, just pressure them. Another thing that people need to start doing is playing with the ledge. Kirby can efficiently B-Air after trumping somebody off the ledge, can D-Air them when they get back on, and can just generally put them in a bad position. Ledge Trumping has grabbed me quite a few kills, as Kirby can use it incredibly efficiently. Also, quite a few characters have recoveries that leave them vulnerable, such as Pit, Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Palutena, Rosalina, Jigglypuff, Robin, King DeDeDe, R.O.B., and many more. Along with that, you have characters that attack while recovering, but are incredibly vulnerable during this time. Characters like this include Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Link, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Marth, Fox, Falco, Charizard... and a whole lot more. For these characters, doing RAR'd D-Airs will easily hit them while they're recovering. Such as, while Link and Marth are recovering, they swing their swords in front of them,
so you can use RAR'd D-Air to hit their head, which is vulnerable. Also, D-Air to FF into a Footstool is amazing.
---

I'd write more, but I'm really lazy, so I'll finish it off with one problem that's arisen, which I really find annoying.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS is a new game. The meta game is just starting out, and has barely even grown. Heck, we haven't even had the game for a month! Do NOT write off Kirby as a bad character just because he's seemingly flawed. I mean, look at where Jigglypuff went from the beginning of Melee's scene towards now! She's considered one of the best characters in the game! People need to stop doing the same things as they did in Brawl, and build Kirby from the ground up. Don't follow the same techniques as you did in 64, Melee, or Brawl. Develop new techniques, try new things, help our pink puffball grow. Kirby has several changes compared to any other game, and is completely different than before. The more you complain about how bad Kirby is, the worse he'll become, and the less he'll develop. We need to stop applying the same tactics and playstyles to Kirby, or he just won't get better. To be completely honest, I think Kirby can become one of the most complex characters in the game, as he has, technically, the biggest moveset in the game. Kirby uses his Copy Abilities a lot different than the actual characters he copied them from do, so if we can find out all the possible techniques and tricks for each ability, he could skyrocket his viability up. INSERT BAD CONCLUSION SENTENCE THING HERE.

---

Sorry that this post is so sloppy. Nothing is in an actual order, so hopefully it's easy to read.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
BasedKirby?
It's Master Hotdogo!

For those who don't know, this is basically the best Kirby player in the galaxy. He is your master. Obey him or die.

He basically taught me how to be a better Kirby, haha.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I can't seem to word my post in the way I mean to. I have a surgery in a few days, so that's leaving me stressed and prone to be bothered by many other things. So I'll try to make a better post later, after I get some sleep. That's some great advice though, exactly the kind of input I look for on this site. -edit

Last edited:

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
@ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima

Great quality post about Kirby. It will definitely help those who are trying to learn how to play him. Even some of the stuff you said can be applied to any character and not just Kirby too.

Though I would like to add something.

Learning matchups is an important factor in this game, but even so you have to learn the other characters too. If you don't know how your opponent's character is going to play you're going to be lost at what to do and end up falling into an easy predictable pattern. Character playstyles are the one thing that Kirby mains, out of everyone, should know because of the fact that he can Copy abilities. So at least you should have a general idea of what the opponent's skillset is right?. If you're playing against a Marth he will try to out space you with his sword and keep you out. If you're playing against Captain Falcon he will try to rush you down. It's just how some characters are designed (and also why we have an advantage because of our extremely flexible playstyles). But just because they are designed that way doesn't mean every person's playstyle on a certain character is going to be static, you will still have to learn to adapt.

If you're new to the game it's fair to say that you didn't have enough time to learn all of the characters, but if you're a person who's played smash for so long you should already know most of the characters and if you're a Kirby main from throughout the series you should know most of the stuff from Reserved's post. If you're serious about playing Smash in general it's good to know what each character has for options and their general kill moves.

Last edited:

north-note

Smash Cadet
kirby f-air is deadly, playing him with a right rhyme can KO his opponent. if you can synchronize your jumping with your opponent, f-air will be a very deadly combo. once you hit them with f-air, press jump and f-air again will send them into combo for three round. If you're lucky enough, the final f-air hit can KO your opponent.
From my play, Kirby is a character that are based on adapting playstyle. you can switch between playing aggressively and defensively. when the fight start, the main goal is to rack up your damage on your opponent, instead of KO-ing them until you reach over 100% try to KO them. Kirby smash itself can KO at 80% but the opponent will be very vulnerable once it went over 100%.
for fast opponent like little mac, you may need to play defensively, dodging his move and use f-tilt at him to pile up the damage. if you can sent him up in the air, try to juggle him.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I think we shouldn't lose hope since unlike with previous instalments there's still a chance for balance patches and changes :) . Who knows Kirby might feel better in the Wii U version with the better controller option. With the C stick for instance.

His range and speed seemed a bit better from some of the Wii U videos he was in for the invitational and the treehouse vids for instance . Sure they may have been early builds and there might not be too many differences in how the characters are between both versions but we'll just have to wait and see when the Wii U version comes out.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
They already started there wouldn't be differences in the characters beteen versions. While access to the c stick and a better control stick will help us out, it'll also help everybody else too.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Point I'm getting at is to stay positive xD
Hence why I said he could feel better. The Circle pad doesn't really do it for me since I'm afraid of breaking it for starters.

Wouldn't it be difficult to make sure everything about the characters are exactly the same? Especially with them doing updates?

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I'm pretty sure they'd have a version to use as the control version between the two systems. Though I'm not a programmer. Monster hunter 3 U for the 3DS and WIi U were exactly the same aside from one having online multiplayer.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
This thread is just wonderful. I even wrote down a list of information that could be good to keep in mind. I have played Kirby since the day of Melee, but haven't gone that much in-depth to him.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
So @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima and I were playing with one another the other day, he was showing me some tricks with Kirby using n low level AI as the victim. Anyway when he was showing Robin ability tricks when something weird happened. He shot me with a full charged thoron just as I swallowed Robin. The beam went right through and I didn't take any damage. Needless to say, we were both surprised and kind of confused. "WHAT" - @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima .

Not sure if it was invincibility, intangibility, super armor or the fact kirby seem to shrink a bit when he swallows.

Seems like something to look at, I've gotten hit in free for alls while swallowing too and had a similar effect happen, damaging the enemy who attacked me, instead of taking damage/ and or flinching the moment Kirby swallowed.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
So @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima and I were playing with one another the other day, he was showing me some tricks with Kirby using n low level AI as the victim. Anyway when he was showing Robin ability tricks when something weird happened. He shot me with a full charged thoron just as I swallowed Robin. The beam went right through and I didn't take any damage. Needless to say, we were both surprised and kind of confused. "WHAT" - @ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima .

Not sure if it was invincibility, intangibility, super armor or the fact kirby seem to shrink a bit when he swallows.

Seems like something to look at, I've gotten hit in free for alls while swallowing too and had a similar effect happen, damaging the enemy who attacked me, instead of taking damage/ and or flinching the moment Kirby swallowed.
I believe it was stated that we are invincible when we swallow someone. I think I found this in the Armor Guide.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I believe it was stated that we are invincible when we swallow someone. I think I found this in the Armor Guide.
Ah. That's a bit unfortunate, TBH. If we weren't, then in Doubles, a teammate could hit you with a weak attack to prevent a punish from Copy.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Funny enough, I think I just saw the same thing happen in Kirby's adventure. I was fighting bugzzy when I accidentally swallowed a ladybug instead of spitting it out, he did his charge attack and went right through me instead of grabbing and damaging me. In all my years of playing Kirby's Adventure, I have never seen that before.

And I'm the guy who likes to play through he game doing the 255 Mike uses glitch, or the glitch that lets you play through the game with the UFO ability.

Last edited:

Vaire

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChilledNovaHD
3DS FC
3780-9153-4401
Thank you for the exact %'s in this game, nice guide.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
1.0.4 patch is out!

I'm excited not for the actual changes to the game, I'm excited because my game was destroyed by 1.0.3 and I haven't been able to play it normally until now (1.0.4 apparently fixed whatever went wrong with 1.0.3).

Anyway, I will be compiling changes to Kirby and updating the guide as soon as the info comes in. As for right now, I will be looking at Kirby very extensively since Nintendo has not given us a complete list of changes.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
seems like kirby's feet moves have more range and some of his tilts are a bit faster, like people are saying, but it could just be placebo. his dash certainly seems faster to me too.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I guess we'll see if the patch actually did something significant to the game or if it just contained small tweaks.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Kirby's range got so much better omg, this is what he needed! His upsmash is also ALOT faster. Feel like he has a lot better juggling potential now.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I'm not seeing it Wasoodle, also don't you play greninja and villager more than Kirby? I though you said you dropped Kirby? :p
Something about him being boring to you :p

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
I'm not seeing it Wasoodle, also don't you play greninja and villager more than Kirby? I though you said you dropped Kirby? :p
Something about him being boring to you :p
I main villager, greninja just for fun. I stopped Maining him this game because I lost interest in his play style, but I second him though. His upsmash change is really noticeably faster and his feet got a bigger range as seen by his uptilt

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
Final Cutter

For the most part the move final cutter is only used for recovery or when you occasionally want to throw out a projectile to throw off an opponent. I'm sure everyone is aware that the second hit going down has a spike hotbox on it, but normally it doesn't matter because the wave from the third hit usually saves your opponent from being spiked.

However there is a way that you can spike opponents consistently with it, and the wave doesn't hit the opponent either! This is AMAZING because it is actually a very powerful spike that you get with it. Your even able to K.O. opponents at percents as low as 20% from my experience! This is one of the best parts about it, and it feels great to pull it off.

Even those with amazing recovery like the Villager for example can be K.O.ed with it if they don't expect to be spiked and even if they do they will be put in a position so bad that they will most likely be able to be gimped by you very easily. The only person who survives the spike would be R.O.B., I still don't know why yet. But seeing is believing so here's a Video Example -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaXCp73wdwA&feature=youtu.be

There are two main ways that you can use this, one way is DEFENSIVELY, as if you are trying to recover back to the stage and your opponent is chasing you off-stage. Then you can use final cutter to catch them with the spike on the way down while you snap to the ledge and they fall. The second way is OFFENSIVELY, when you edgegaurd the stage and use final cutter to spike them as they try to recover. You can put yourself in a position where you can almost force the situation so that they don't just recover lower to avoid it, but more on that later.

To do this there are only two things that you need to know.
  1. How to perform the spike
  2. When to use final cutter.
I'll update this post later with a tutorial video of some kind to provide a better idea of what I'm talking about. But for now here's a cool video. -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVAg7cwrvL8&list=UUQstLZYVEK-MKyshznrZmig

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Finally I can respond to this. Yes, I have been trying to figure out how to get Final Cutter Spike's to work! Thank you in advance. Villager will soon feel my deadly blade!

I hope Nintendo doesn't nerf this.

Last edited:

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
Nope I just tried for myself. It still works in the Wii U version. It's actually easier to do and it can even be done at 0%. Your opponent doesn't even have to be off the stage. Try it for yourself in training! Go to a flat stage and just position someone at the edge of the stage. Then just use final cutter, but after you reach the peak you want to tilt back to the stage to angle it backwards. This allows the wave to start farther away from your opponent so that it doesn't reach in time to catch their fall. I'll have a video later explaining it, the Wii U looks nicer so I'll try to get video of that.

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
Nope I just tried for myself. It still works in the Wii U version. It's actually easier to do and it can even be done at 0%. Your opponent doesn't even have to be off the stage. Try it for yourself in training! Go to a flat stage and just position someone at the edge of the stage. Then just use final cutter, but after you reach the peak you want to tilt back to the stage to angle it backwards. This allows the wave to start farther away from your opponent so that it doesn't reach in time to catch their fall. I'll have a video later explaining it, the Wii U looks nicer so I'll try to get video of that.
Another way is when you're off stage and getting back to the ledge to spike an incoming opponent and grab the ledge yourself (since no wave comes out). Though admittedly I haven't really been able to do this that consistent.

Last edited:

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Aaah, now I get it. After playing Kirby for so long through all the iterations of smash I never saw Final Cutter as a viable attack. While I'm sure this won't be useful in most situations I can see it being a wonderful cross up from the standard Kirby edgeguard. That disjointed hitbox really is far. That's a really good explanation on how to actual use it to spike people, looking forward to the video tutorial! I can't wait to try this out.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
It seems that Custom Moves are going to be banned ;^;

If they are truly banned, this is going to hit Kirby incredibly hard. Upper Cutter clearly beats both of the other variations, and has a lot more uses, with the same being said about Jumping Inhale.

Ugh...

If Custom Moves are banned...

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
That sucks...but I'm sure there will be some tournaments that still allow them.
Maybe after a year or a few months when everyones had time to unlock them all theyywon't be banned :o

Top Bottom