• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Spy! - Ness Matchup Directory

Noa.

Smash Master
Would you not consider his bat or sweet-spot bair kill options? I'm not sure on what kills would come at usually for the bair, but a well read bat, or pk fire trap to bat can kill very early.
And bthrow, depending on stage position could very likely kill earlier.

Why are these any less viable?
Other options can happen, but it's best to look at the most likely scenario. At the ledge our Bair kills Luigi at like 110. His Bair kills us at like 120. Our dsmash at the ledge kills him at 115 and his comparable option is Usmash. Pkt2 kills him at like 40 and his Fjp kills us at like 60. Both characters have a plethora of kill options. It's best to just focus on what the most reliable and most frequent kill moves in the matchup. That's what is most likely to happen.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Luigi Ness is definitely not even. Luigi's dthrow into nado with rage can KO at ludicrous percentages. It's REALLY bad.

Ness also can't wall out Luigi very well. Luigi has a lot of priority and speed on his aerials. In addition to this, Luigi just has better frame data and ways to set up his grab than Ness.

Fox Ness I think is still even. The jab chaining is gone, but he can still get jab jab usmash, even easier now than ever. He also controls the ground just as well as ever.

I wanna just rework my matchup tier list real quick.

Sonic, Rosalina

Luigi, Sheik

Fox, Yoshi

+1
Pikachu, ZSS, Falcon, Mario

There IS order within the tiers.

@ Noa. Noa.
Can you update my listings?

Noa.

Smash Master
Luigi Ness is definitely not even. Luigi's dthrow into nado with rage can KO at ludicrous percentages. It's REALLY bad.

Ness also can't wall out Luigi very well. Luigi has a lot of priority and speed on his aerials. In addition to this, Luigi just has better frame data and ways to set up his grab than Ness.

Fox Ness I think is still even. The jab chaining is gone, but he can still get jab jab usmash, even easier now than ever. He also controls the ground just as well as ever.

I wanna just rework my matchup tier list real quick.

Sonic, Rosalina

Luigi, Sheik

Fox, Yoshi

+1
Pikachu, ZSS, Falcon, Mario

There IS order within the tiers.

@ Noa. Noa.
Can you update my listings?
I'll change it when I get home. This is difficult on mobile lol.

So far we've had a Zss and Luigi discussion.

Time for some new discussions!

I'm going to make a Rosalina thread. It's our worst matchup and lots of players ask for help on that matchup. We discussed it a very long time ago but that was like in November.

For the other matchup discussion it can be any of the other top characters. Whatever you guys want. Personally I'm interested in doing Fox or Mario. But open to suggestions.

I'll put up the threads in a couple days.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I'm bored so heres a quick new list. no particular order in the sections:

Strong disadvantage: (<-1)
Rosalina, Sheik, Sonic

Disadvantage: (-1 to 0)
Luigi, MegaMan, Yoshi, Pit, Dark Pit, Metaknight,

Neutral: (0)
Mario, Link, Falco, Greninja, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Villager, Olimar, Dr. Mario, Roy

Advantage: (0 to +1)
Peach, Bowser Jr., Bowser, Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Marth, Ike, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Lucina, Shulk, PacMan, Lucas, Mewtwo

Strong advantage: (> +1)
Zelda, Ganondorf, Samus, Robin, Palutena, DeDeDe, Little Mac, Charizard, Wii Fit Trainer, Ryu

franniested

Smash Rookie
I'm bored so heres a quick new list. no particular order in the sections:

Strong disadvantage: (<-1)
Rosalina, Sheik, Sonic

Disadvantage: (-1 to 0)
Luigi, MegaMan, Yoshi, Pit, Dark Pit, Metaknight,

Neutral: (0)
Mario, Link, Falco, Greninja, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Villager, Olimar, Dr. Mario, Roy

Advantage: (0 to +1)
Peach, Bowser Jr., Bowser, Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Marth, Ike, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Lucina, Shulk, PacMan, Lucas, Mewtwo

Strong advantage: (> +1)
Zelda, Ganondorf, Samus, Robin, Palutena, DeDeDe, Little Mac, Charizard, Wii Fit Trainer, Ryu
You seem to have a lot more -1s than most. How do you figure the pits, megaman, and metaknight?

franniested

Smash Rookie
Would anyone like to open a discussion for the MU with sonic? I have very little experience with it and am interested in what yall have to say

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Change the MU for my score for Rosalina 80-20 in Rosalina's favor. No way in hell we win that MU.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I faced one of England's best Rosa mains recently. I'm not going to pretend I have amazing insight on that MU but I think there's definitely a way to play it and we need to stop being triggered so hard by the words "Rosalina and Luma" (apologies for the reference). -2 and I honestly think it will become a -1 later down the line. When I have more time, I'd enjoy dissecting the MU with you all more in the other thread. For now I need to sleepzzzzzzz.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I faced one of England's best Rosa mains recently. I'm not going to pretend I have amazing insight on that MU but I think there's definitely a way to play it and we need to stop being triggered so hard by the words "Rosalina and Luma" (apologies for the reference). -2 and I honestly think it will become a -1 later down the line. When I have more time, I'd enjoy dissecting the MU with you all more in the other thread. For now I need to sleepzzzzzzz.
K
I completely agree. I think that even if its a bad match up I still go as Ness against Rosa, Sheik and Sonic. IDC if its hard I want to win as the character I want to play as.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ehh, I've gotta sit in the middle here for Rosalina. I seriously doubt it's 80:20, but I don't think it'll go down to -1 any time soon either. It's -2 for me. Hard, not unwinnable, but noticably bad.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
The more I play her the more annoying and worse I think it is, but I'm still trying to find work arounds and capitalize on some aspects.

@ Noa. Noa. Plz get the Fox thread up now lol, I'm dying to discuss it. :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ehh, I've gotta sit in the middle here for Rosalina. I seriously doubt it's 80:20, but I don't think it'll go down to -1 any time soon either. It's -2 for me. Hard, not unwinnable, but noticably bad.
Don't get me wrong I totally agree that right now it's a -2. But I've talked to Dabuz about this several times and I'm very confident (and he agrees) that as time goes on, Ness mains will stop getting scared and start heavily abusing their advantages against Rosa such as abusing her offstage. When that day comes, I will argue for a -1 like there's no tomorrow. She's light, floaty, tall, and when you prioritise getting rid of Luma when she's in disadvantage then suddenly her options are utter garbage against us.

Last edited:

S-Ness

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crayonshinchan32
I don't really know stuff about matchups, but I'll put my best shot.
:4sheik: -1
:rosalina: -2
:4pikachu: -1
:4luigi: 0
:4zss: -1 or 0
:4falcon: +1
:4marth: +2
:4lucas: +1
:4villager: -1

Meccs

@Meccs_
yo for my list in the OP change Fox to +1 and Luigi to 0 and Sheik to -1

Last edited:

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
What would you guys say what the falco matchup is?? I have a lot more trouble with falco than fox

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
Sorry for being off topic, but how do we stand against ROB? I'm playing 8bitman tomorrow so I'd like to get as much info as possible.
Despite living in the same state as him I've never played against him. Just know that he loves using gyro. He will gyro all the time. Loves nair, and doing throw combos. He'll bait airdodges into Usmash.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
PK Thunder has a 90:10 matchup with ROB. I'm probably a bit late to help you, but if Ness juggles ROB properly this matchup is hell.

APlainOldBanana

Smash Cadet
These are just my opinions, but here they are:
NOTE: I don't really have the greatest ability to decide a matchup.

:4pikachu:+1
:4diddy:0
:4falcon:+1
:rosalina:-2
:4mario:0 (maybe +1 imo I don't really have issues with Mario)
:4zss:+1
:4miibrawl:+1
:4sonic:-1 (I don't have as many issues with Sonic as everyone says Ness deos :/)
:4sheik:-1
:4fox:0
:4luigi:+1
:4rob:0

Noa.

Smash Master
These are just my opinions, but here they are:
NOTE: I don't really have the greatest ability to decide a matchup.

:4pikachu:+1
:4diddy:0
:4falcon:+1
:rosalina:-2
:4mario:0 (maybe +1 imo I don't really have issues with Mario)
:4zss:+1
:4miibrawl:+1
:4sonic:-1 (I don't have as many issues with Sonic as everyone says Ness deos :/)
:4sheik:-1
:4fox:0
:4luigi:+1
:4rob:0
You think we beat Luigi? What are your reasons?

APlainOldBanana

Smash Cadet
You think we beat Luigi? What are your reasons?
This is probably just due to me not playing a good Luigi, but I don't have too many problems with Luigi. I also despise/don't know much about him other than Dthrow combos, so is Luigi's only safe approach Fireballs? I know Luigi has a hard time approaching, therefore I tend to play more campy than usual. I don't go offstage a lot against Luigi, only for knocking him horizontally. But hey, that's just my opinion. Could be 50:50 but idk. I really have next to no time against Luigi :/

franniested

Smash Rookie
Luigi's frame data is substantially better. I never realized until I had this same discussion with noa. His aerials came out soooo much faster. Luigi and ness are both combo kings, but Luigi has better options to get the grab to start it. (Jab lock to grab, fireball to grab) Ness can magnet luigi's fireballs, but they don't heal enough to be substantial, and Luigi can use it to bait you. Both have similar play styles in the sense that they are aerial heavy and depend on grabs for combos and kills. Luigi's kill options are arguably more reliable than ness also. And his fair is one of the few moves from any character that consistantly stuff ness' nair and fair when used correctly.

Before I started playing on anthers ladder I thought it was even, but I call it a -1 now.

Shout out to @Noa for giving me some kick ass lessons and educating me!

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Luigi's frame data is substantially better. I never realized until I had this same discussion with noa. His aerials came out soooo much faster. Luigi and ness are both combo kings, but Luigi has better options to get the grab to start it. (Jab lock to grab, fireball to grab) Ness can magnet luigi's fireballs, but they don't heal enough to be substantial, and Luigi can use it to bait you. Both have similar play styles in the sense that they are aerial heavy and depend on grabs for combos and kills. Luigi's kill options are arguably more reliable than ness also. And his fair is one of the few moves from any character that consistantly stuff ness' nair and fair when used correctly.

Before I started playing on anthers ladder I thought it was even, but I call it a -1 now.

Shout out to @Noa for giving me some kick *** lessons and educating me!

Luigi is definitely much harder to fight online than offline. I am just letting you know.

I do think the MU is -1 however. I fight a pretty good Luigi all the time.

This is my new MU Chart for top tiers

Rosalina

Sheik

Luigi

Yoshi, Fox, Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus.

+1
Pikachu, Mario,

franniested

Smash Rookie
Luigi is definitely much harder to fight online than offline. I am just letting you know.

I do think the MU is -1 however. I fight a pretty good Luigi all the time.

This is my new MU Chart for top tiers

Rosalina

Sheik

Luigi

Yoshi, Fox, Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus.

+1
Pikachu, Mario,
Okay I agree with most of what you've said, but -4 is just ridiculous. You have to pretend that 2 equally skilled players are using these characters, and rosalina isn't easy, but it is still very competitive. Ness has options to win.

Also, how do you figure he's harder online?

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Okay I agree with most of what you've said, but -4 is just ridiculous. You have to pretend that 2 equally skilled players are using these characters, and rosalina isn't easy, but it is still very competitive. Ness has options to win.

Also, how do you figure he's harder online?

Watch Shaky and Fow and know that MU is just plain Terrible.

Luigi is just better online. He is harder to punish. Harder to hit him. Just harder to play against.

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
Can we please talk about Sheik? She's currently the most dominating character in the meta and we should explore what we can do against her.

franniested

Smash Rookie
Watch Shaky and Fow and know that MU is just plain Terrible.

Luigi is just better online. He is harder to punish. Harder to hit him. Just harder to play against.
-4 is essentially unwinnable. And I've seen both of them play, and they even put up a fight against Dabuzz. The percents are very close most of the match. They've shown the way to recover is to get as close to rosa as you can off edge, then her down b hits you slightly, and you get a free recovery. It's not ideal, but it's an option. Ness still has his nair to keep her off, and pk fire isn't even renders useless, as you now have 2 targets. Her moves have higher end lag that start up, so you have to be patient and wait for the punish. Up air and bthrow can also kill early. I'm not saying this is a good MU, but it's -2 at worst.

And you haven't explained why There is a Luigi difference online vs offline.

Last edited:

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
-4 is essentially unwinnable. And I've seen both of them play, and they even put up a fight against Dabuzz. The percents are very close most of the match. They've shown the way to recover is to get as close to rosa as you can off edge, then her down b hits you slightly, and you get a free recovery. It's not ideal, but it's an option. Ness still has his nair to keep her off, and pk fire isn't even renders useless, as you now have 2 targets. Her moves have higher end lag that start up, so you have to be patient and wait for the punish. Up air and bthrow can also kill early. I'm not saying this is a good MU, but it's -2 at worst.

And you haven't explained why There is a Luigi difference online vs offline.
Luigi's move are just generally most safer and Fireball to grab is guaranteed.

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Thought I might ask here since the ness MU is more active than the dark pit one.
I was playing against a good ness. At first I played pikachu. Ness destroys pikachu. I then picked mario. Close matches but ended up losing. I then picked bowser jr. At first I had the advantage but when you try to recover, ness will use his pk thunder to gimp you. I decided to pick dark pit. Not only did I won but I 2 stocked him. So what are your opinions on the :4darkpit:vs :4ness: MU. Dark pit outranges ness, has a reflector, can easily go offstage to gimp ness with his reflector. What are your thoughts?

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Thought I might ask here since the ness MU is more active than the dark pit one.
I was playing against a good ness. At first I played pikachu. Ness destroys pikachu. I then picked mario. Close matches but ended up losing. I then picked bowser jr. At first I had the advantage but when you try to recover, ness will use his pk thunder to gimp you. I decided to pick dark pit. Not only did I won but I 2 stocked him. So what are your opinions on the :4darkpit:vs :4ness: MU. Dark pit outranges ness, has a reflector, can easily go offstage to gimp ness with his reflector. What are your thoughts?

(Dark) Pit wins the MU 45:55, but it isn't because of reflector gimps. The Dair is more reliable imo.

franniested

Smash Rookie
I think your 2 stock was more about that player not doing well against dark pit. The MU is pretty even in my opinion. I'd call it 50:50. Maybe even a bit in ness' favor.

Pit may outrange ness in general, but ness' aerials are still superior. His fair will stuff your aerials if they aren't perfectly timed, and his nair is a better approach option than pit's aerials. It comes out so fast, and will even cancel most of your options. (Even arrows) The arrows are rendered pretty useless due to the psi magnet as well. Ness also has better kill options with his aerials. His up air kills at around 130, and his bair can kill very early if near an edge.

So ness wins with aerials.

Pit does have the ability to out space ness though. If he can keep ness at a mid range, there aren't good options left for him.

Onto the grab game,
Both have great dthrow combos that can rack up damage. I would call them even in their grab game, but as everyone knows, ness has a dirty back throw. Kills at about 130, much earlier if you get caught at the edge. DONT LET NESS GRAB YOU.

Neither character has an awesome ground game. Ness has a decent disjointed dash, but not much else. He can throw out pk fires to punish a landing, but there's not much else he can do. Pit has some decent tilts, and his side b can kill, but it's very risky. Both should be played in the air, but put wins if it's on the ground.

Now talking about gimps. Both characters have options to gimp eachother for sure.

Ness has his pkt. This should be a real pain for pit. Since his jumps are so short and floaty, it's very easy to hit him offstage with it. His recovery is also very linear, so it's easy to just put a pkt in the path of his up b. It can also be used on a side b recovery, and then ness can punish the end lag of the side with an aerial. Pk fire is also a gimping option. Hit them with it below the edge and bair them for a stage spike, or try to get a disrespectful dair. (It feels so good) falling nairs also work as a follow option, just don't miss and have the rolls reversed.

Pit is a great character to gimp ness because he can follow deep, has great aerials, and a way to take away ness' recovery. Arrows can also be used if timed well. Follow ness down and watch for when he is going to hit himself, because getting hit by ness' recovery will turn the tables. Hit him with a dair, fair, bair, nair. Take your pick. Read the situation. Or use your reflectors to bounce him back! Fun fact, even if you don't reflect him, if he hits someone with his pkt2 recovery, it reduces his recovery distance by about half.

Anyways, both have good options against eachother, probably going to come down to the individual players!

Top Bottom