• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Spy! - Ness Matchup Directory

Noa.

Smash Master

~ Welcome to the Ness Boards Matchup Directory ~

The purpose of this thread is to be a hub for all matchup discussion. Any general matchup advice or questions should be placed in this thread. There are also links to specific matchup discussion threads that the Ness boards have discussed together.

The game is new and the metagame is constantly changing. With over 50 characters are understanding of matchups will change greatly over time. We will do our best to keep up to date on the most relevant matchups.

Information Wanted:

How to contribute to this discussion? Post anything you think you find useful in the matchups that are being discussed. Any experience is experience and all input is welcome. Feel free to disagree with anything anyone posts, but please be ready and willing to explain and discuss everything that you post. We want posts with substance and reasoning, rather than "Ness wins" or "Down B > Energy Projectiles." Video evidence is greatly appreciated.

General Rules:

- No flaming, please, from either side of the discussion spectrum. Everyone enjoys their own character and has varying degrees of experience. We will have people from different character sub-forums joining in on the discussion. Let them feel welcome.

- When discussing match-ups we must assume that both players are playing each character to their utmost potential always. (This also means without lag)

Matchup Scale:

0 Even: Neither character has a complete advantage over the other

+1 Small Advantage / -1 Small Disadvantage: Mostly even, but one character has a definite edge. It's very small, but definitely there. It shouldn't affect tournament results unless both players are the same skill level.

+2 Solid Advantage / -2 Solid Disadvantage: Counter. Difficult matchup but still perfectly winnable You have to be better than your opponent to win, but not that much better really.

+3 Large Advantage / -3 Large Disadvantage: Hard counter. Really difficult matchup. You have to be much better than your opponent to win this matchup in a tournament set. A secondary is not absolutely required, but is definitely recommended.

Ness Boards Matchup chart:

At this point it only contains 12 characters, who were all deemed the most important matchups in the metagame at the point of the chart's creation. We will add more characters over time. This chart was created from these votes.

Character|Shaky|Mik!|Greward|Meccs|Noa|Luco|Lukinhaas|Kodystri|Ranias|yoshi89|PKBeam|Charizord
Diddy|+1|-1|+1|+1|0|0|0|0|-1|0|0|-1
Sheik|-1|-1|-2|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|/|-1|-1
Falcon|0|+1|0|+1|0|+1|+1|+1|0|-1|+1|+1
Mario|0|+1|+1|0|+1|+1|0|0|+1|0|+1|+1
Sonic|-1|-2|0|-2|-1|-2|-1|-1|-2|-2|-1|-2
Fox|0|0|0|+2|0|0|+1|0|+1|/|+1|0
Yoshi|0|0|-1|0|0|0|0|0|0|-1|0|+1
Luigi|-1|-1|-1|+1|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Rosalina|-2|-2|-2|-2|-1|-1|-1|-2|-1|/|-1|0
ZSS|0|+1|+1|+1|+1|+1|+1|+1|+1|-1|+1|0
Pikachu|+1|+1|+1|+2|+1|0|0|0|+1|+1|0|+1

EDIT: Changes made to Luigi and Rosalina after further discussion.

Matchup Discussion Links:

:4luigi:: Discussion
:4zss:: Discussion
:rosalina:: Discussion
:4fox:: Discussion

Art Credit goes to EvilApple513

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
I'll edit this post later with more info (since I'm on my phone atm) but I just wanted to quickly say that I think Ness has only 3 negative matchups in the game: Sonic, Sheik, and Rosalina.
Sonic: -2
Sheik: -1
Rosalina: -1
Mario: 0
Yoshi: 0
Diddy: +1
Captain Falcon: +1
Luigi: +1
Zero Suit: +1
Pikachu: +2
Fox: +2

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
I'll edit this post later with more info but I just wanted to quickly say that I think Ness has only 3 negative matchups in the game: Sonic, Sheik, and Rosalina.

Diddy: +0.5
Sheik: -1.5
Mario: 0
Captain Falcon: +0.5
Rosalina: -1
Sonic: -1.5
Fox: +2
Luigi: +1
There are no .5s that will be accepted.

Use 0, 1, 2, or 3. :)

Meccs

@Meccs_
Ok wasn't sure. I edited it. Was caught in the middle for a lot of them.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
IMO

Diddy -1
Sheik -1
Captain Falcon +2
Mario +2
Ness -100
Sonic -2
Fox 0
Yoshi 0
Luigi 0
Rosalina 0 (bite me)
Zero Suit Samus +1
Pikachu +1

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'll kick this off with a few points of my own. I think they will change however; if the top players are finding Sonic to not be the beast we thought he was (and I've noticed notable Sonic mains such as Seagull only put Ness as a +1 for them) and other characters to be harder, then that will be notable to see. But as a preliminary thought, I think it goes roughly:

Sonic -2
Diddy 0
Sheik -1
Falcon +1
ZSS +1
Mario +1
Pikachu 0
Rosalina -1
Yoshi 0
Luigi 0
Fox 0

Ness +1 billion (this character always wins the MU, better nerf Greninja)

With those, I could be convinced that Falcon and Mario are +2's if there was ample reason for it, Fox is +1, Luigi is -1, Sonic is -1, Pikachu is -1, Sheik is 0 and Diddy could even be +1. My two hardest to give ratings for were Pika and Sheik if that tells you anything. My spread is a lot less exciting and contains more evens, so I'd love to be proven wrong!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I still fail to see why so many Ness mains chalk Diddy up to be even. The guy outranges us in the air, trades harder, and his grab yield more damage. He controls the ground so well with his stupid banana. We trump him in KO potential and recovery (slightly), but that's pretty much it. I hate the matchup. Idk, maybe I'm just bad at it personally.

Seagull constantly downplays Sonic. I'm still pretty firm on -2 for Sonic, especially if we're calling Sheik and Rosalina -1s (Sonic is much worse than those two).

It seems a lot of people are polarized on Pikachu. I still say Ness is pretty good at outranging him with fair for just about everything. Magnet negates his thunderjolt approached. Pika mains will say "bruh, we don even need dat ****" but it's still an approach option that we've cut out for them. This matters even more when you consider that fair is a decent tool for stopping QA also, his other best approach option.

And I disagree with your Ness matchup super hard @ Luco Luco .
Ness gets bodied in this matchup no matter what you try.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
since some of my thoughts linger between numbers, i'll put in a ratio as well.
:4diddy:±0, 50:50
:4sheik:-1, 45:55
:4falcon:+1, 55:45
:4mario:+1, 55:45
:4ness:±0, 50:50
:4sonic:-1, 43:57
:4fox:+1, 53:47
:4yoshi:±0, 48:52
:4luigi:±0, 52:48
:rosalina:-1, 46:54
:4zss:+1, 55:45
:4pikachu:±0, 52:48

I really don't think Sonic is -2 bad. I also don't think that Ness really has any +2s here.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I still fail to see why so many Ness mains chalk Diddy up to be even. The guy outranges us in the air, trades harder, and his grab yield more damage. He controls the ground so well with his stupid banana. We trump him in KO potential and recovery (slightly), but that's pretty much it. I hate the matchup. Idk, maybe I'm just bad at it personally.

Seagull constantly downplays Sonic. I'm still pretty firm on -2 for Sonic, especially if we're calling Sheik and Rosalina -1s (Sonic is much worse than those two).

It seems a lot of people are polarized on Pikachu. I still say Ness is pretty good at outranging him with fair for just about everything. Magnet negates his thunderjolt approached. Pika mains will say "bruh, we don even need dat ****" but it's still an approach option that we've cut out for them. This matters even more when you consider that fair is a decent tool for stopping QA also, his other best approach option.

To an extent yes, but the banana is something we can utilise as well (seriously us with a banana whilst diddy's above 120%? They'd probably be wetting themselves :laugh: ) and our edge-guarding game against him I think can only be developed, whilst he's one of the few characters that doesn't totally have a field day with us while we're offstage. I especially think that now with Uair not killing until post 130/140%, we now only really have to look out for things like banana ---> smashes and Fair and... that's about it, actually. If he takes rocketbarrel attack instead of normal upB for killing power then take lasting PKT and ruin his life offstage. His grab game combos really hard but if we're surviving considerably longer then rage will almost certainly play a part in our kills on this monkey, whilst he shouldn't be living too far past 120% himself.

It's the same reason I chucked Sheik at 0, but there's a double reason. Bair for Sheik wasn't just a killing move that got nerfed, it was also a big edge-guarding tool which is now nowhere near as effective. With that in mind, she'll find it harder to outright kill us which means we can afford even more mistakes, or have more time to accumulate rage and whatnot that really turns the tables in this MU.

As for Sonic, it's not just Seagull that makes me think the Sonic MU might not be -2, but also Shaky. Don't get me wrong, at this stage I still think it's quite bad, but two sources in a short amount of time with the same idea make me think the MU could change / if we play it differently, it won't feel quite as bad.

Pika is interesting. I don't have enough exp with him, so I'll wait until we give him some discussion before I really give a definitive comment. :p

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

When I say +1 I'm referring to 60-40 or 55-45. It can be argued either way. -2 is like 30-70 or 25-75 to me. I think :4sonic: definitely beats :4ness:, but not by a significant enough margin to make it -2.

I admit I'm kind of broken vs :4ness: in brawl. I slayed them effortlessly. Shaky can attest to this. I don't know how it'll be in Smash 4 since I use :4sonic: loool.

Ironically, :ness2: in PM is one of my personal worst matchups. Go figure.

:018:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Diddy 0
Sheik -1
Captain Falcon +1
Mario 0
Sonic -1
Fox +1
Yoshi 0
Luigi 0
Rosalina -1
Zero Suit Samus +1
Pikachu 0

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
To an extent yes, but the banana is something we can utilise as well (seriously us with a banana whilst diddy's above 120%? They'd probably be wetting themselves :laugh: ) and our edge-guarding game against him I think can only be developed, whilst he's one of the few characters that doesn't totally have a field day with us while we're offstage. I especially think that now with Uair not killing until post 130/140%, we now only really have to look out for things like banana ---> smashes and Fair and... that's about it, actually. If he takes rocketbarrel attack instead of normal upB for killing power then take lasting PKT and ruin his life offstage. His grab game combos really hard but if we're surviving considerably longer then rage will almost certainly play a part in our kills on this monkey, whilst he shouldn't be living too far past 120% himself.

It's the same reason I chucked Sheik at 0, but there's a double reason. Bair for Sheik wasn't just a killing move that got nerfed, it was also a big edge-guarding tool which is now nowhere near as effective. With that in mind, she'll find it harder to outright kill us which means we can afford even more mistakes, or have more time to accumulate rage and whatnot that really turns the tables in this MU.

As for Sonic, it's not just Seagull that makes me think the Sonic MU might not be -2, but also Shaky. Don't get me wrong, at this stage I still think it's quite bad, but two sources in a short amount of time with the same idea make me think the MU could change / if we play it differently, it won't feel quite as bad.

Pika is interesting. I don't have enough exp with him, so I'll wait until we give him some discussion before I really give a definitive comment. :p
I still feel like Diddy uses his banana better than us though. His run speed is the huge breaker for me. The people who can use the banana best would be characters with a good grab game, and a good run speed to help them capitalize on the trip. Yeah Ness has a good grab game, and you'll definitely get a good punish if you DO hit their trip, but it's harder to capitalize on it, or at least when compared to Diddy. Diddy can hit you with that thing anywhere and get a dthrow uair off of it.

And have I mentioned how much I hate his range? On his dash grab, fair, and fsmash. I mean geez, you'd think his arms were made of swords from Brawl. He can wall you out so hard.

I also think people need to not instantly say "they got nerf, add +1 to the matchup." The matchup could very easily be bad still, especially this soon after the patch.

For Sheik, I can't ever see that being 0. Her edgeguard potential is stupid good, bair or not. Her fair is way too fast, really difficult to get through since it's lagless. She's just so capable of throwing stuff out in the matchup without any care, and Ness has a very hard time punishing it. And Ness without the ability to punish people makes me sad, since his punish game is so strong. Add in the fact that she outranges us, and the fact that she wins at a range AND up close, and it's just too disadvantageous for me.

When I say +1 I'm referring to 60-40 or 55-45. It can be argued either way. -2 is like 30-70 or 25-75 to me. I think :4sonic: definitely beats :4ness:, but not by a significant enough margin to make it -2.

:018:
And there's the problem with this system. The numbers, for some reason, mean something different to everyone on the planet. 60:40 is what I feel like the matchup is, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if I considered it even worse in the future. I know that number certainly isn't going down for me any time soon.

Noa.

Smash Master
This is my list. And I don't have enough experience with customs to comment on how matchups change apart from pretty basic things.

Diddy 0
Sheik -1
Captain Falcon 0
Mario +1
Ness 0
Sonic -1
Fox 0
Yoshi 0
Luigi 0
Rosalina -1
Zero Suit Samus +1
Pikachu +1

I don't think there are any really strong or polarizing matchups for Ness between any of these characters. The only character I would consider putting -2 is Sonic. For +2 I couldn't see us beating any character in this list that badly.

And I'll compose the votes so far.

Diddy 0, +1, -1, 0, 0, 0
Sheik -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1
Captain Falcon 0, +1, +2, +1, +1, +1
Mario +1, 0, +2, +1, +1, 0
Sonic -1, -2, -2, -2, -1, -1
Fox 0, +2, 0, 0, +1, +1
Yoshi 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
Luigi 0, +1, 0, 0, 0, 0
Rosalina -1, -1, 0, -1, -1, -1
Zero Suit Samus +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1
Pikachu +1, +2, +1, 0, 0, 0

@ Meccs Meccs you skipped over Yoshi. :V

We are pretty wishy washy about Diddy. We all agree on Sheik. Everyone thinks we have an advantage on Falcon. I'm not sure on that because Falcon is really potent at edge guarding Ness with his fall speed and bair. I'm very afraid of returning to stage against Falcon. Almost everyone feels quite confident against Mario. Sonic we all agree is a bad matchup, but maybe it's not as bad as people thought originally. Fox is even or in our favor. I will take not that we get stuck in Fox's jab for a very long time which gives him a lot of free damage against us. And we can't pk thunder him for free as much as other characters because of his reflector. Everyone thinks the Yoshi matchup is even. Same with Luigi except for Meccs. Only E360 doesn't think that Rosa is a bad matchup. I don't think it's an awful matchup for us, but it's definitely difficult and I feel like the margin for error on our part is a lot smaller than for Rosalina. Everyone agrees that ZSS is +1 for us. People feel pretty confident about PIka but some people think it's just even.

I just don't feel that threatened by Diddy anymore. He can only kill early with a hard read with fsmash which makes me feel so much safer. We both combo each other very well, especially cause he's not great at escaping from pk thunder juggles. The only tool that's really problematic for us is his fair in the neutral. We don't have a very safe, reliable answer for it. The best one is either punishing his landing with pk fire, or using pk thunder when he jumps into the air to fair. Both of those are big commitments, but the best options we have against his fair.

And Sonic I just feel like is a really hard matchup to learn. Playing against him is pretty different from playing against other characters. Once you learn how to play against Sonic the matchup doesn't feel as bad. Or at least I get that impression.

And I don't think Sheik will ever be even cause her fair and needles are both too dumb.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I'm still pretty convinced that even if you know Sonic, it's still hard.
I don't think juggling Diddy with PKT is easy at all. He's got a number of ways to shift his momentum, mostly with popgun tricks and his monkey hump. And if you miss, prepare to get hoo hah'd.
Sheik is dumb, I think we can all agree to that.

I also wanna address Fox... what about him makes you guys think even? He controls the ground reeeeaaaallllly well. Short hopping in this matchup blindly is hazardous. Ness can't escape his jab bull**** either, at least if the Fox player times it perfectly. But you can gimp his recovery with PKT, even if they use the reflector. You've just gotta be crafty with it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I still feel like Diddy uses his banana better than us though. His run speed is the huge breaker for me. The people who can use the banana best would be characters with a good grab game, and a good run speed to help them capitalize on the trip. Yeah Ness has a good grab game, and you'll definitely get a good punish if you DO hit their trip, but it's harder to capitalize on it, or at least when compared to Diddy. Diddy can hit you with that thing anywhere and get a dthrow uair off of it.

And have I mentioned how much I hate his range? On his dash grab, fair, and fsmash. I mean geez, you'd think his arms were made of swords from Brawl. He can wall you out so hard.

I also think people need to not instantly say "they got nerf, add +1 to the matchup." The matchup could very easily be bad still, especially this soon after the patch.

For Sheik, I can't ever see that being 0. Her edgeguard potential is stupid good, bair or not. Her fair is way too fast, really difficult to get through since it's lagless. She's just so capable of throwing stuff out in the matchup without any care, and Ness has a very hard time punishing it. And Ness without the ability to punish people makes me sad, since his punish game is so strong. Add in the fact that she outranges us, and the fact that she wins at a range AND up close, and it's just too disadvantageous for me.

And there's the problem with this system. The numbers, for some reason, mean something different to everyone on the planet. 60:40 is what I feel like the matchup is, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if I considered it even worse in the future. I know that number certainly isn't going down for me any time soon.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't basically be saying 'the nerf adds +1 to this MU' if it wasn't for the fact that Diddy killing us at sub-100% meant we couldn't take advantage of rage and now suddenly, as Noa mentioned, it's a lot safer and reliable to avoid the kill and actually kill Diddy. Like, with rage we could be killing that monkey from centre stage as early as like 110% which is such a big deal, I think.

Sheik I'm legitimately not sure on though, so you could be very right.

I think @ yoshi8984 yoshi8984 would be really good for input here, as well as obviously @NAKAT if he gets around to checking this thread out. I think the jab lock is really potent, but outside of that I feel Fox's kill options are somewhat limited, he does little to us offstage and we hurt him offstage really hard. I think falling Nair beats any aerial we try to throw out, but iirc it can also be punished on PS if not regular shield? It's a weird MU in regards to who has to approach and he has a lot of mobility but Nair and Bair seem to do really well and Fox is one of the lightest characters in the game so he'll be dying quite early to a whole host of our kill options if he's not careful.

Noa.

Smash Master
I think characters that are hard to juggle are characters that have reflectors or can go a very far distance very quickly. Sonic can be a bit difficult to juggle because his up b and dair can change his distance so quickly and so far that pk thunder can't usually keep up. ZSS down b and Sheik bouncing fish don't send them that far, but both of these options reduce the size of their hurtboxes and ZSS has intangibilty frames. I feel like Diddy's popgun reversals do not send him far enough to escape from pk thunder because pk thunder is so fast. And his side b does send him pretty far but he has a pretty large hurtbox during it so it's easy to cover that option with at least the tail.

Fox is just a matchup that feels even to me. His jab is really the only thing that terrifies me. He has great speed but dies so early. Hes not a very safe character either. He doesn't have much range so it's not that difficult to punish him.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
No customs. I don't have enough experience with customs on to give a good opinion on that. I'd assume some matchups would be worse though.
:4diddy:-1 (wasn't nerfed enough to be straight even imo)
:4sheik:-1 (fast aerials and needles are hard to get past)
:4falcon: 0 (a CF that powershields and juggles perfectly is really tough for Ness to handle)
:4mario: +1 (outrange his everything, absorb fireballs, watch for cape and fludd)
:4ness: 0 (okay)
:4sonic: -2 (i'm too slow, can't reach him, he punishes everything I try and gimps me)
:4fox: +1 (laser isn't effective, reflector can be worked around, recovery is gimpable)
:4yoshi: 0 (can't juggle him well, forces an approach with eggs, but can combo him easily)
:4luigi: 0 (can get alot of combos on Ness, but also vice versa, kills off the top)
:rosalina: -1 (hard to work around the gimps and juggles if done correctly)
:4zss: +1 (tempted to give this +2, but I probably just haven't fought a really good one)
:4pikachu: +1 (same deal as ZSS)

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
Yoshi I'd put at 0 but its another im on the fence 55:45 about. As a side note, Nair is very very effective against yoshi.
Also I think Fox is absolutely a positive matchup for Ness. Just watch out for his jab and Ness beats him everywhere else.

Falcon is probably more even because his dash grab and ledgeguarding is incredibly effective against Ness, but Ness can string him along and gimp him very easily, as well

Last edited:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Here's how I feel about the following MUs... (Customs off for now :p)
Funny thing tho I actually haven't encountered the "uber" tourney chars in my tourney experiences. xD

Diddy: 0 (I do need more MU experience here, I literally only played a single Diddy in 1 offline friendlie lol but getting ahold of the banana is great, I love the mindgames that come with it ;P)

Sheik: Undecided (haven't played any, not even online... :p)

Falcon: -1 (the rushdown is really bad but then again I'm probs just terrible at being patient and give in to the temptation to throw PKFs lol)

Mario: 0 (I'm almost never in the position to get gimped but you want to respect Mario when he's on the ground, esp. F-Smash, D-Smash and U-Tilt, although Fireballs are easy-ish to read and don't get caught above him, likewise we like him being above us)

Sonic: -2 (Spin Dash mindgames why, B-Throw why, stupidly strong U-Smash why, stupid speed and recovery why, lagless F-Smash why)

Fox: +0.5? XD (My fave MU in the game, but I don't want to ramble here, I'll give you that for later ;))
^But yeah the neutral and his Jabs in said neutral can be a pain.

Yoshi: -1 (His Jabs and possible Yoshi Bomb setups are annoying, so are his Nair and Eggs but I feel we can combo him fairly easily; just don't ever PKF cause he doesn't care for that and don't get caught above him either, also make sure you can adapt well to his tricks/mindgames)

Luigi: 0 (Good lord this MU can be scary for both sides. Watch his D-Throw > follow-ups AND D-Throw > Cyclone at KO percents. Don't ever airdodge after D-Throw, and don't ever overcommit... i.e. Smashes. Nairs and Bairs are your best friends here)

Rosa: Undecided (haven't played any either both online/offline)

ZSS: -1 (I've only played this one online but it's likely me just doing something wrong cause I feel like she has NO lag whenever I try to punish and her Down-B is STUPID. One thing I should stop doing is trying to tailwhip gimp her cause Down-B just says no lol)

Pikachu: +1 (I actually don't know as to why this character is up high on the tier list cause I feel he can't KO, but anyway, Magnet denies Thunderjolts which is always great and we can KO him a lot easier)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
ZSS I used to think was even, but after quite a few matches versus one of our best ZSS players, I've just become more and more convinced that her neutral isn't good enough against us to warrant an even. We seem to be able to break through her walls, get good damage on her with Nair/Fair (even moreso than fox, plus she doesn't have the jab infinite), kill her early and don't really get edge-guarded by her (although we don't find her very easy to edge-guard either, and downB can totally be a pain).

Meccs

@Meccs_
Hey so here's an excel sheet I made for the entire cast. Sorted first by the SWF Community Tier List then by alphabetical then by the matchup spread. This was quick and I'm sure there are a lot that are wrong (I'm second guessing a couple as I look back over it now, even), but it's just my hot take on Ness compared to everyone in the game. And I take back what I said about him only having three matchups, I think Shulk is a disadvantage too. (Stuff has probably changed from my post above) You don't have to count this stuff since it has .5s just wanted to do this for the hell of it.

ness.png

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
ZSS I used to think was even, but after quite a few matches versus one of our best ZSS players, I've just become more and more convinced that her neutral isn't good enough against us to warrant an even. We seem to be able to break through her walls, get good damage on her with Nair/Fair (even moreso than fox, plus she doesn't have the jab infinite), kill her early and don't really get edge-guarded by her (although we don't find her very easy to edge-guard either, and downB can totally be a pain).
A lot of zss's don't know how to edge guard with flip jump. When they do stocks will be taken.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Maybe it's just me but what about Mega man? I honestly couldn't get near the guy because he just kept spacing me with lemons and buzz saws I couldn't get near him.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Megaman has a very slight advantage against Ness, so small that it's even less that 45:55. You might as well call it even honestly.

But yes, weaving through his wall of projectiles is a pain. His fair even outranges us. Powershielding only gets you so far since lemons are so rapid.

Catching a blade is a big boon in this matchup since it sets up grabs and gives Ness a ranged option he needs in this matchup.

Knowing Megaman's movement options and the players patterns is key as well. From a lemon string, he can obviously walk and jump. Know what the player likes to do and when they do it, try to make that read, and make a move in. If he's jumping, he's not covering the ground. If he's just shooting on the ground, you can SH the lemons, and air dodge if you're not feeling confident.

Pressure him once you get in. When you get in on a lemon wave, odds are you WONT have the time to do a real punish. But that's okay, because Megaman doesn't have the best "get off me options." Don't over commit once you're in, play it safe and try to make the read. You can't pass up this opportunity of getting in by wasting it on a missed grab or something because you got desperate.

It's okay to play patiently and turtle up in your shield when you're at KO percent. Megaman's KO options are rather laggy except for bair. Bthrow can KO, but only at pretty high percents unless you're at the edge (so don't be there). Don't jump on him and give him the opportunity to uair or usmash you either. And don't go rolling around him at KO percents either unless you wanna be u/dsmashed.

As another random tip, respect the dair spike. It's actually one of the usable spikes in the game, and it CAN get you out of PKT2.

The best thing Ness has in this matchup is his ability to dish out a lot of damage in a small opportunity. Yeah, with his big head and slow feet he'll eat lemons for days until he gets in. But when you do, all of that damage you took to get in can be evened our REALLY quickly with a single proper read. PKF or dthrow Mega Man once, and he'll wonder where his lead went.

Meccs

@Meccs_
From my experience, the biggest thing we have against MegaMan is offstage pressure. Ness excels at punishing predictable-path recoveries, which includes MegaMan's. He's in serious trouble once you toss him off the edge. Just throw out PKT after PKT after PKT.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why exactly is the Ness - Diddy matchup ranked in advantage of Ness?

I wouldn't exactly call landing a F Smash a 'hard read' either. It's very easy to hit Ness with Banana > F Smash, and it kills him off early enough as well.

Last edited:

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Why exactly is the Ness - Diddy matchup ranked in advantage of Ness?

I wouldn't exactly call landing a F Smash a 'hard read' either. It's very easy to hit Ness with Banana > F Smash, and it kills him off early enough as well.
Couldn't you say that about any character?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Fun Fact: Just because a character is top tier, doesn't mean they have advantageous matchups against every character lower than them on the list.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fun Fact: Just because a character is top tier, doesn't mean they have advantageous matchups against every character lower than them on the list.
True, but Diddy's disadvantageous matchups are mostly just :4sheik::4luigi:, maybe :4peach:. I see no reason to see :4ness: as more treathening than either of these matchups, and at worst Sheik or Luigi are 55-45, Ness is nowhere near this level against Diddy.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
This board isn't calling Diddy advantageous anyways. We've mostly chalked it up to even.

But look at it this way. If you think Luigi is bad, Ness and Luigi basically play the same way. Luigi has a better projectile to lead him in, but Ness has better mobility. They get basically the same reward off of grabs, and I'd even argue that Ness is better at gimping off stage than Luigi.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Problem with Luigi is more his traction that makes him slip away too far when hit with a banana for Diddy to comfortably link it into another move. Ness doesn't have this problem. I agree it's about even, but if one character would have the advantage, it's still Diddy to me. Rosalina is harder than Ness for example especially with customs.

Beets

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys how do you deal with Marios who cape you during PK Thunder?

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Recover such that cape isn't an option. Stagger the timing of your PKT, utilize your DJ with air dodges and aerials to push him away, don't be predictable.

You should almsot never be caped by Mario if you're recovering correctly.

Chaizord

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nintenbro116
This is just my opinion, but I think that most of us can agree on some of these.

Diddy: -1
Sheik: -1
Captain Falcon: +1
Mario: +1
Ness: 0
Sonic: -2
Fox: 0
Yoshi: +1
Luigi: 0
Rosalina: 0
Zero Suit Samus: 0
Pikachu: +1

Last edited:

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Can we do something like the Rosalina boards where we constantly talk about each MU every three days or so? I think it will help grow the Smashboards a bit. If no one is willing to and if I am allowed to do it, I can definitely keep it going.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
well I certainly hope we're not going to discuss characters like the Rosalina boards do, if you get what I'm saying.

Top Bottom