• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Terry

Smash Ace
This is for the crew:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MeleePacWest/videos

And this specifically is for Terral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUpHLqKSkc&feature=youtu.be

And for those reading, just an FYI we did a round robin tournament yesterday and these were the final standings:
1) Terral 3-1 (beat me 3-2, lost to Zant 2-3) Overall: 11-5
2) Zivilyn Bane 3-1 (beat Zant 3-0, lost to Terral 2-3) Overall: 11-4
3) Zantetsu 3-1 (beat Terral 3-2, lost to me 0-3) Overall: 9-7
4) Terrence
5) Wretched (dropped out)

I had a slightly better win/loss record than Terral, but he beat me head to head so he got 1st. I wasn't sandbagging and went Marth all 5 games and he was Pikachu the entire tournament. Fear the Terral.
Isn't 11-5 a worse record than 11-4?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
It doesn't make sense, but for a small tournament such as the one we had, it did. I mean, with the scores so close, why not just give it to Terral when he ended up winning?

Oh, and for next week, my friend Kyle may show up. I might get him to start playing often now that we have a place to consistently play at and he's been bored of not doing much lately.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Sounds good. I am totally hyped for smashing again. Did anybody else watch any vids from Rule 6? I watched literally every single singles match.

PewPewU is a savior sent from the smash gods to revive Marth from death.

Smashallday

Smash Rookie
**** it, I may come up to Springfield for Tuesday's sesh this week. I hope we can play for a good amount of time tuesday and maybe some on Wednesday if Imma drive 2 hours there and 2 hours back to do this. Lemme know if people are game!

Zantetsu

Smash Master
It's possible we can work out Wednesday, but I doubt it. However, we normally play for 5 hours on Tuesday's (12-5) and I wouldn't mind extending this to something like 11-5 or even 10-5 if we're going to have you drive 2 hours here and back. We typically like to work towards the schedule of the one who has traveled the farthest.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
John if you do it the week after, I'm off work Wednesday the 15th so I will smash with you as much as you want (probably Wretched and maybe Terrence too). This Wednesday I can only play after 5pm. Of course I'd rather you come both times, but if you can only come once then next week would be best.

:phone:

Smashallday

Smash Rookie
yah im not sure how well i could swing both... I'm also just gonna be trying to crash on people's couches I know and i don't wanna overstay my welcome etc. But yah I'll plan on driving up the morning of the 14th or so and staying til the 15th. I'll bring my stick and see you guys there!

Smashallday

Smash Rookie
Yah, the icies player moved to a little town south of Memphis. I been trying to get him to find stuff in the memphis area cuz I'm sure its closeby. But yah, I guess i'll practice a bit before I show up so its a tad less embarrassing

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Yeah the good news John is that you're still at a point where you can improve quite a bit by playing alone. One of the ways I used to practice was "bomb soldier" combos on a PvP 9 fox on FD. It helped my tech skill tremendously. So really you just need to work on getting shffls, sh lasers, ect. Keep practicing bro, don't let your skills diminish.

:phone:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
John (you're John, right? I wasn't sure because we just called you guys "John and Andy" or "Johnathan Anderson" or "Those two noobs who we totally wreck cuz we're amazing")

Anyways, Johndy, considering I'm a Falco player, I could share with you a few of my tech skill practicing routines. I'm not good at the game itself, but undeniably, I have good tech skills.

Smashallday

Smash Rookie
Ya, i'm in the middle of a 99 stock fight against all lvl 1 icies, just practicing shffling, edge guarding, lasers, etc. But yah Wretched if you wanna PM or post like a list of **** to practice I'll toss it in addition to what im doing. Thanks and see you in 9 days. also playing made me realize just how rusty I am : (

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Hokay, I'll just write a paragraph.

With lasers, you want to learn to be versatile with your movement. You can often catch people off guard by switching up the distance and timing between your lasers. To get good at being mobile with lasers, I first practiced timing lasers after the short hop. Don't worry about fast falling. Just stand in place, short hop, and practice lasering immediately after the short hop. After that, I practiced running and then short hop lasering. This will give you a feel for letting the joystick rest so that you don't illusion while moving and shl'ing. Once you get that down, practice running, short hopping, and then turn-around lasering. Once you can do all of those things, then incorporate the fast fall. The mind is better at learning things alone instead of in clusters, I suppose. If you want to get consistent, you should practice all of your laser movements at the same time. I generally stand in the middle of the stage, do a standing shl, then I move to the left and shoot one to the left, move to the right and shoot one to the right, move to the left and shoot one to the right, and then move to the right and shoot one to the left. Keep trying to do that until you don't mess up. Once you have that down, practice laser heights. If you're fighting a Ganon or a Falcon, you should learn to laser a little higher than normal. Otherwise, your lasers should be very low.

You should definitely practice doing stuff RIGHT AFTER the laser. Try doing standing short hop lasers and shine during your landing.
Also practice full hop lasers. You should be able to do 3 lasers from a full hop. Your timing is everything. If you want a reliable way to hit Peach during float, practice timing a laser to be the height of a platform on Battlefield.
If you're fighting a Falco, you should learn a double jump double laser. Basically, you do your double jump immediately after your first jump, and then start your fast fall and begin lasering. I must admit, I still don't practice this even though I should. Forgive me father for I have sinned.

Another nifty trick you might want to learn is the fakeout laser. Basically, run away from your opponent, short up, slam the stick towards your opponent, wait a second, and then press B. You should do a laser just before you hit the ground. Nobody ever sees it coming.

Practice ledge lasers. Do a ledge hop and land on the stage, performing 2 lasers and moving forward. Normally you should time your hop to where your first laser is right below the battlefield platform and the second is near the ground. Another useful tool against other falco's and in general is the ledge drop double laser. Run off the edge, double jump back on immediately, and start lasering. You should perform 2 lasers at the same height as before. This is useful against platform campers since it is hard for Falco to shoot a laser directly at platform height from a normal jump.

To practice shield pressure, practice against a 9 handicapped level 1 bowser. This is also an effective way to solidify your waveshining. You should run up to him, do an aerial, shine, do an aerial, shine, etc. When you have it down, you can also shine, wavedash towards, him, shine, wavedash towards him, etc.

If you want to learn how to waveshine, you need to be able to wavedash a set distance on command. Practice standing still without touching the joystick, and then smash the joystick to your desired angle, jump, and air dodge all at the same time. This will make wavedashing itself second nature. After you get that down, practice doing aerials and wave dashing afterwards. Try nairing in place and wavedashing backwards across the stage if you really want to nail the muscle memory into your... muscles. After this, you should practice wavedashing out of shine. Do it in one direction at first, but eventually, you should try alternating directions.

Practice grabbing the ledge with Up-B from every angle. Not being killed at 0%, I have found, is about 100% of Falco's metagame.

That's all I can think of for now. Double Shines aren't necessary to learn now, but I suppose if you wanted to challenge yourself, try.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Who's all showing up this Tuesday? I expect the usual (Terrence, Michael, Wretched, and Terral) but I've also heard something about Chris coming? What about that new guy? Oh, and Nathan maybe? If we got all of those people, that would be 8. I imagine if people can find some fold up chairs or if some people don't mind sitting on the floor, we can make this work. I'd like 4 setups for 8 people, so everybody bring what they can and let me know if you are coming or not so I can plan ahead.

Oh, and since we're having so many people, we should do a tournament. Like a dollar entry or something. Free tournaments make people play like ****. Oh, and we'll be recording as well, so bring your **** Michael.

Smashallday

Smash Rookie
I'm not positive that I'm gonna be able to make it. I have physical therapy on tuesday til like 430 > . <

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I have to be at my recruiter's office on Tuesday at 3. When are we planning on playing SPECIAL SMASH... If you know what I'm saying.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Looking at the map, that is the most efficient route.

What you do is take West Division onto N Kansas Express all the way down to Grand. Then, you go down Grand, get Terrence, keep going down Grand, take a left on Jefferson. he lives just a tiny bit down Jefferson from Grand, get back on Grand, get to national, and get me.

He actually lives RIGHT BETWEEN Terrence and I, no homo.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Looking at the map, that is the most efficient route.

What you do is take West Division onto N Kansas Express all the way down to Grand. Then, you go down Grand, get Terrence, keep going down Grand, take a left on Jefferson. he lives just a tiny bit down Jefferson from Grand, get back on Grand, get to national, and get me.

He actually lives RIGHT BETWEEN Terrence and I, no homo.
Ok but are you going to play since you have to meet your recruiter at 3? I don't have that much money or gas so I doubt I could take you to the recruiter.

Top Bottom