• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
in my main HG file, I just used DDance + Ice Fang Gyarados and swept through Lance cleanly. Took me like half a year to beat Whitney though, that was annoying. In my nuzlocke file, I got swept by the Kimono Girls so I have to train my guys up to level 38... with only level 20s to train against... it's not fun, which is why I haven't gone back to it in a while. Platinum's an absolute blast so far, really glad I've done that. And now I've got a Shiny in it, too, which is my first Shiny in any gen 4 game, including the one I've had for almost 10 years!

Awesome, thanks. So if I were to add a link to the playlist here, like so:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-QQrFUJSbVkG3aaQy5R2wU-u75mtnZ4W

And mention that I upload every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, would that be okay?
Just this once. That is sorta over the line.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Alright, so here's what I've got for Heartgold. I'm grinding for the Kimono Girls and am at.... 31 deaths. :/

https://imgur.com/a/ZE3uX

No clue how to upload files, but here's what I've got. I'll update you guys on how the fight goes when training is done... which might be a while :/

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Hmm, levels seem relatively fine, some are a bit low but nothing drastic. The two level 34s and the level 33 could use some level ups but the Kimono girls Eeveelutions are only 4-5 levels above that. My memory is a bit rusty but iirc, in HGSS the Kimono Girls have to be fought and I believe they have a set order too although I don't recall what that order is.

Forretress is really hard to work with it seems. You don't get access to Toxic or Stealth Rock. Spikes would have only done so much and Toxic Spikes requires the move relearner and I believe that requires a heart scale. Forretress isn't exactly the best at dishing out damage. Looking at what's available, the best I can think of would be using Swagger but there's no means of causing paralysis for the parafusion strategy and raising the opponents attack in a nuzlocke is obviously very dangerous.

Tentacruel has type redundancy and since you have a Krabby, I'd have given Whirlpool to it since it's such a bad move. Could always grind out for an Ice Beam TM for it and if you're far enough, you may be able to get Sludge Bomb for it.

I see Nidoqueen has Sludge Bomb so scratch that. Tail Whip is replaceable. Could get rid of Body Slam for Return if you've had the Nidoqueen for a while and if you'd rather raw power over the paralysis chance. For replacing Tail Whip, there's Iron Tail, Shadow Claw and possibly Avalanche.

Gyarados gets Aqua Tail next level which has 10 more power than Waterfall but can miss 10% of the time and can't flinch. Surf is redundant. Bulbapedia apparently isn't 100% up to date since it doesn't show Gyarados being able to obtain Headbutt via move tutor. Anyways, like with Nidoqueen, Headbutt could be replaced with Return. For both Nidoqueen and Gyarados, if you need type coverage badly (Kimono Girls do use 5 different types after all) they can both learn Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Flamethrower if you need it. Better for Nidoqueen with it's higher special attack. Thinking about it now, I think I kept Bite on my Gyarados the whole way through. Could've helped to have for the Espeon and any later Psychic or Ghost types.

Cut is pretty bad no matter who has it. Sunflora has a pretty limited movepool though and the only thing I can think of giving it is Sunny Day to turn it into a sweeper but it's already weak to Fire as it is and you've got 2 Water types that would be hindered.

Alakazam is pretty good though Psybeam is redundant. Surprised it doesn't have Calm Mind. Could possibly give it Shadow Ball or Charge Beam. Items for the team is a whole nother mess.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents. Sorry if I came off as rude or controlling.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Let me know when you're ready. I'll give you a friend recruitment code that gets us both goodies, and I'll show ya the ropes.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Next year is when my possibilities are looking up for a new position. That, or I'll go back to my country.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Gyarados can always resort to using Ice Fang instead. Ice Fang is less powerful than Ice Beam, but since it's a physical attack, Gyarados can pretty much deliver more damage with Ice Fang than with Ice Beam. The only problem that Ice Fang has, however, is that it as a 5% chance of missing.
You can easily drop the chances of it missing, let Gyarados hold the Wide Lens (it ups the accuracy of any move by 10%) and it would never miss.

I usually give that to any Pokemon that has a move that has like 75% or an 85% chance of hitting a foe (I can turn Rock Slide from having it's usual 90% accuracy to 100% every time).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

You can easily drop the chances of it missing, let Gyarados hold the Wide Lens (it ups the accuracy of any move by 10%) and it would never miss.

I usually give that to any Pokemon that has a move that has like 75% or an 85% chance of hitting a foe (I can turn Rock Slide from having it's usual 90% accuracy to 100% every time).
Technically, with the Wide Lens, any move with an accuracy below 95% can still miss, even if the odds of missing are smaller.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Oh yeah. I might be going to my first Smash tournament on sunday, if they allow Wireless controllers. Wish me luck! d^_^b

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Thanks bro and yea the music isn't for everyone haha it was my first time editing with that type of music but glad you liked the content!
Well, take my criticism with a grain of salt. Remember, I'm basically the old man of these forums.
(Kids these days, what with their hippity hoppity bebop rocksteady music and their Pokemans, I tell ya... *grumble, gripe*)

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

I don't know. Forgoing more useful stuff on Gyarados such as the Lum Berry, Rocky Helmet or Leftovers over Wide Lens doesn't seem very appealing.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi, I decided to pick up Mewtwo as a high tier secondary. Is there anything I should know or practice?

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Hi, I decided to pick up Mewtwo as a high tier secondary. Is there anything I should know or practice?
Begin with practicing his movement and knowing the range of his bnb moves(DTilt, FAir, etc). Basically, practice M2 footsies first and foremost.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
You could try to read my guide. I have a section giving advice on how to read it. Also, check out KillerJawz Arancinix's youtube, as he is incredibly smart. I have some vids as well, but they mainly cover combos and tech.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
MOVEMENT.

MOVEMENT. MOVEMENT. MOVEMENT!

Get used to his double jump. Get used to using sideB to adjust your momentum. Get used to canceling your double jump's momentum with other moves. Get used to mixing up your recovery with sideB and walljumps. Get used to doing an aerial after a double jump.

Movement first, combos and tech later.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Man, I'm getting pretty sad lately. I feel like my bad habits (really bad landing, overusing air dodging as a get out of jail free option, using f-air when it's unsafe, fishing for grabs, etc) are getting to me too much. I know they all exist, but I still do them anyways... :/

Rizen

Smash Legend
You could try to read my guide. I have a section giving advice on how to read it. Also, check out KillerJawz Arancinix's youtube, as he is incredibly smart. I have some vids as well, but they mainly cover combos and tech.
I read it; that was really helpful :)

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Alright, so I fought the Kimono girls last night:

Umbreon was a bit annoying, as Forretress wasn't as bulky as I thought he was, so he lost about half his HP there. He did weaken it enough to the point where I could switch into Tentacruel and take it down.

Espeon was actually the hardest. Forretress nearly died on the switch, so I sent in Alakazam and we had a Psychic war, which I won through recover giving me more HP.

Flareon was really easy. I switched into Gyarados and one-shotted it with Waterfall.

Jolteon was funny, because the AI registered that it couldn't hit me with Electric moves and proceeded to spam double team and last resort... except that Last Resort was doing no damage because it hadn't used all its moves yet. So the fight was annoying, but since Jolteon wasn't smart enough to be able to damage me, I just had to keep attacking it until I hit enough times.

Vaporeon was the killer. I switched into Sunflora and it used Aurora Beam, which didn't kill her, but when I went to use Petal Dance, it didn't kill it back, so another Aurora beam took sunflora down. After that, I just switched into Gyarados and headbutted it for the KO.

RIP Solaria the Sunflora Level 12-38

Afterwards, I added Jigglypuff to my team and went up the bell tower. I caught a Gastly and when I got to the top, I caught Ho-oh to trade to SoulSilver, which I did instantly. I know, I'm terrible, but dex completion is important too. After which, I headed down to route 37, accidentally killed my Tohjo falls encounter (Raticate), and Jigglypuff died to a Doduo because of Crits. Yay!

:jigglypuffmelee:
RIP Jigglypuff level 15-20

I caught the Doduo and added it to my team, and nothing eventful happened until the next route, where I caught a Sandslash, and Victory Road, where I caught a Donphan and took out my Rival without much trouble. And now, I have to train everyone to level 52. Wheee!

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Alright, so I fought the Kimono girls last night:

Umbreon was a bit annoying, as Forretress wasn't as bulky as I thought he was, so he lost about half his HP there. He did weaken it enough to the point where I could switch into Tentacruel and take it down.

Espeon was actually the hardest. Forretress nearly died on the switch, so I sent in Alakazam and we had a Psychic war, which I won through recover giving me more HP.

Flareon was really easy. I switched into Gyarados and one-shotted it with Waterfall.

Jolteon was funny, because the AI registered that it couldn't hit me with Electric moves and proceeded to spam double team and last resort... except that Last Resort was doing no damage because it hadn't used all its moves yet. So the fight was annoying, but since Jolteon wasn't smart enough to be able to damage me, I just had to keep attacking it until I hit enough times.

Vaporeon was the killer. I switched into Sunflora and it used Aurora Beam, which didn't kill her, but when I went to use Petal Dance, it didn't kill it back, so another Aurora beam took sunflora down. After that, I just switched into Gyarados and headbutted it for the KO.

RIP Solaria the Sunflora Level 12-38

Afterwards, I added Jigglypuff to my team and went up the bell tower. I caught a Gastly and when I got to the top, I caught Ho-oh to trade to SoulSilver, which I did instantly. I know, I'm terrible, but dex completion is important too. After which, I headed down to route 37, accidentally killed my Tohjo falls encounter (Raticate), and Jigglypuff died to a Doduo because of Crits. Yay!

:jigglypuffmelee:
RIP Jigglypuff level 15-20

I caught the Doduo and added it to my team, and nothing eventful happened until the next route, where I caught a Sandslash, and Victory Road, where I caught a Donphan and took out my Rival without much trouble. And now, I have to train everyone to level 52. Wheee!
You realize you can catch both Ho-Oh and Lugia in each version, right?

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Technically, with the Wide Lens, any move with an accuracy below 95% can still miss, even if the odds of missing are smaller.
Only if moves that affects accuracy (like Sand Attack or Double Team for example) were in play.

A good reason why no-miss moves like Aura Sphere exists (shame Gyarados can't learn it, but then again it's Special Attack is soo poor it's not even worth it, since it's built to be all physical sweeping and it does it pretty well especially with it's Mega).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Only if moves that affects accuracy (like Sand Attack or Double Team for example) were in play.

A good reason why no-miss moves like Aura Sphere exists (shame Gyarados can't learn it, but then again it's Special Attack is soo poor it's not even worth it, since it's built to be all physical sweeping and it does it pretty well especially with it's Mega).
I still kind of wonder why the 6th generation nerfed Aura Sphere's power. It's not like very many Pokemon can learn that attack. Also, if Aura Sphere's base power was still 90, with Adaptability, its base power would only double to 180 when used by Fighting-types, which the exact same base power that Mega Sharpedo can get with Crunch when combined with STAB and Strong Jaw.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
I still kind of wonder why the 6th generation nerfed Aura Sphere's power. It's not like very many Pokemon can learn that attack. Also, if Aura Sphere's base power was still 90, with Adaptability, its base power would only double to 180 when used by Fighting-types, which the exact same base power that Mega Sharpedo can get with Crunch when combined with STAB and Strong Jaw.
Pretty sure they nerfed Aura Sphere (and a lot of other special moves) because of how overwhelmingly powerful special offense was in Gen 5. A lot of special attackers back then had ways to get around or just straight power through Blissey and company, so they just decided to nerf the move type as a whole.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, when one of those Pokemon happens to be one of the holders of highest base stat total when Mega Evolved and also happens to be Fighting type...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Pretty sure they nerfed Aura Sphere (and a lot of other special moves) because of how overwhelmingly powerful special offense was in Gen 5. A lot of special attackers back then had ways to get around or just straight power through Blissey and company, so they just decided to nerf the move type as a whole.
The funny thing is, if the Pokemon knows Psyshock, Psystrike, or Secret Sword, it can easily wipe out Blissey without having to worry about Counter. Without those attacks, special sweepers pretty much have an awful time trying to get past Blissey's high HP and special defense.

Similarly, a Goodra that's holding an Assault Vest can be troublesome for special sweepers as well. Of course, unlike Blissey, Goodra doesn't exactly have a good recovery move, but since the Assault Vest forces it to use attacking moves, that's pretty much a moot point.

At least for a Pokemon like Gardevoir, it can afford to use Psyshock over Psychic, since Moonblast (Hyper Voice if Mega Gardevoir is being used) pretty much covers most of the Fighting-types (some of them hate Psyshock more, such as Heracross and Hitmonlee), while most Poison-types don't have good physical defense stats, while their special defense stats can sometimes be on the high side (Muk, Tentacruel, and Roserade are a few notable examples).

Well, when one of those Pokemon happens to be one of the holders of highest base stat total when Mega Evolved and also happens to be Fighting type...
But still, a base power total of 180 is a common sight, especially when you look at attacks like Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Double-Edge, Superpower, and so forth.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Am I allowed to post a comic I find funny here?

My mewtwo's improving but still is awkward. He's fun to play.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You know, Smash would be probably be the bloodiest and goriest game out there if it was realistic. People getting stabbed, zapped, burned, and receiving heavies blows. A punch from Ganon in particular could cause severe trauma or make parts of your body explode due to the force of their impact.

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
yo fellow mewtwos! recently picking up the character and was looking for some kind of discord or skype group. is there one?

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
So, I fought the Elite 4 today. At the start, here was my final team:

Will was actually the person I was the most worried about, because Forretress isn't very specially bulky and the rest of my team wouldn't want to eat a psychic either. Thankfully, Forretress managed to take out both Xatu, one through Bug Bite to get enough HP from the sitrus berry to attack twice. It went well until Slowbro came out. At this point Forretress was so low on HP that switching into her would just kill her, so I stuck with Dodrio, because I used him against Exeggutor. He did burn it with tri attack, but then got two-shotted by a Psychic and died.

RIP Dodrio level 28-48

Afterwards, I switched into Tentacruel because I didn't have a better option (Alakazam's only attacking moves were Psychic and Focus Miss) and just pretty much sac'd her off to weaken Slowbro (who had just been healed) enough to the point where Gyarados could finish it. To her credit, she at the very least took a few hits and did her job, but she did end up dying.

RIP Tentacruel level 20-48

So at the first fight I was already down to 4. Greeeeeat.

Thankfully, the rest of the league was a piece of cake. For Koga, Alakazam one-shotted everything except Forretress, who I had given Nidoqueen Fire Blast just for this one situation, and she one-shotted Forretress. For Bruno, Alakazam one-shotted everything, even Onix with Focus Blast, and didn't take a single point of damage. All in all, those two fights were over in a combined 5 minutes or so.

Karen made use of pretty much my entire team. Forretress took out Umbreon, Nidoqueen earthquaked Houndoom, Alakazam Psychiced Vileplume and Gengar, and Gyarados Ice Fanged Murkrow. Another easy fight that was kinda fun because it made use of my entire team instead of just Alakazam.

And at last, the champion. I was expecting some massive fight, but really I just sent in Gyarados, set up Dragon Dance, and that was really it. Ice Fang FTW <3

So yeah. I beat the league, but now I have to do MORE training. ugh. and to level 50...

Anyways, I made progress! Hurrah!

Tentacruel: 0
Dodrio: 1 (Exeggutor)
Nidoqueen: 2 (Forretress, Houndoom)
Forretress: 3 (Xatu, Xatu, Umbreon)
Gyarados: 8 (Slowbro, Murkrow, Gyarados, Dragonite, Aerodactyl, Dragonite, Charizard, Dragonite)
Alakazam: 12 (Jynx, Ariados, Muk, Venomoth, Crobat, Hitmonlee, Onix, Hitmonchan, Hitmontop, Machamp, Gengar, Vileplume)

Yeah, it's pretty clear who my best member is.

So now, I have to go do more training. I'll update you guys on what happens when it does!

C3CC

Smash Lord
Alakazam is awesome. It's my favorite Pokémon. How I wish he was playable in Pokkén Tournament :( (Since Smash is too much of a stretch).

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
For whoever has a 3DS: Do you guys feel embarrassed playing in public? Like sitting on the bus or train, or at work during your break.

Top Bottom