• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I recently repicked up Zelda after dropping her early on. She's just a character to play for fun for me. Picked her up again after she got buffed although I still think she's crap. Ganon is too and he's incredibly fun.

Honestly, I just miss sh fair and bair and the old down b. Thanks 3DS version for the latter.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I just hope you guys all remember tiers aren't static.

Even if, theoretically, a game was 100% perfectly balanced(which isn't possible, btw), there are still other factors that can contribute to tier list. Namely, how developed their metagame. A character could have a ton of potential, but a skilled player has to take the time to notice and unlock it. If you think your main isn't at the spot on the tier list it deserves to be, then focus on getting better so you can show other player that they don't suck. Of course, I'm a pretty mediocre player myself, so it's not like I'll be making any changes in Mewtwo's or Charizards metagames any time soon, but I can at least say good things about them to hopefully attract new players.

And of course, there's also more then one way to make tier list. Just look at competitive Pokemon, where tier list are based entirely on usage. It's more of a guide to tell you which threats are relevant then to tell you which Pokemon are "good". There's also tier restricted battles to give obscure Pokemon more relevance. Now, I'm not predicting that Smash is going to adopt this policy or that it ever should, but it helps prove extra perspective of what a tier really is. Everyone's view of the character is just as important as the character itself.

Pokemon tier list are also incredibly dynamic. If one Pokemon becomes popular, Pokemon that effectively deal with it will become more popular in return. This is, to a lesser extant, true to Smash as well. A character's match up against the other high tiers is incredibly important. It's not nearly to the same extreme, as swapping a Pokemon team is much easier than swapping a Smash main, but it still happens.
And then we come to Mario Kart, and its characters and vehicle choices.

In Mario Kart 8, the Biddybuggy and Roller offer among the best stat totals of any vehicle part. However, they tend to get less attention than vehicle parts like the Circuit Special and Slick, simply because of the ground speed differences between them.

In regards to the characters, the lighter characters tend to get cursed with having lower speed values, so despite having much better control with their vehicles, they do struggle to compete with the heavier characters and their higher top speeds.

Competitively, people think that speed is everything, and as such, the other stats tend to get the cold shoulder, which even includes acceleration. Ironically, the Slick tires don't do anything for the water speed stat, but since the amount of underwater courses is quite low, that becomes a moot point.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
And then we come to Mario Kart, and its characters and vehicle choices.

In Mario Kart 8, the Biddybuggy and Roller offer among the best stat totals of any vehicle part. However, they tend to get less attention than vehicle parts like the Circuit Special and Slick, simply because of the ground speed differences between them.

In regards to the characters, the lighter characters tend to get cursed with having lower speed values, so despite having much better control with their vehicles, they do struggle to compete with the heavier characters and their higher top speeds.

Competitively, people think that speed is everything, and as such, the other stats tend to get the cold shoulder, which even includes acceleration. Ironically, the Slick tires don't do anything for the water speed stat, but since the amount of underwater courses is quite low, that becomes a moot point.
Why U guys always do dis to me filling me up with these motivational words I'm gonna cry guys

godogod

Smash Ace
Anyone else genuinely surprised and dissapointed that we don't have Mii Fighters, custom moves, and Miiverse stage not available in online modes(and just all modes in general)? I remember bringing this up about a month or two in the main board to ge, and a mod just instantly shut me down saying online petitions don't work. I'm like wth?! I wasn't even given a chance to respond back!

Having those available online at this point would make me more happy than anything else, and its a real shame we don't have them. They all feel like an afterthought, and I don't see the point of even creating them in the first place if we can't play them in all modes. Tourney mode should be have an offline version too of course.

Also, I think Smash Tour with friends or with randoms online would be incredibly fun! They could help people unlock stuff too instead of playing against cheap A.I.. Like how is smash run available online, but not Smash Tour?

We need to make these happen.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Anyone else genuinely surprised and dissapointed that we don't have Mii Fighters, custom moves, and Miiverse stage not available in online modes(and just all modes in general)? I remember bringing this up about a month or two in the main board to ge, and a mod just instantly shut me down saying online petitions don't work. I'm like wth?! I wasn't even given a chance to respond back!

Having those available online at this point would make me more happy than anything else, and its a real shame we don't have them. They all feel like an afterthought, and I don't see the point of even creating them in the first place if we can't play them in all modes. Tourney mode should be have an offline version too of course.

Also, I think Smash Tour with friends or with randoms online would be incredibly fun! They could help people unlock stuff too instead of playing against cheap A.I.. Like how is smash run available online, but not Smash Tour?

We need to make these happen.
I understand why mii's are not allowed online as our community is full of jerks but I want to have mii's online lol

godogod

Smash Ace
I understand why mii's are not allowed online as our community is full of jerks but I want to have mii's online lol
We have them in MK8 online. There's no excuse whatsoever. See a perverted looking Mii? Have them reported.

If you genuinely agree, please please make your voices heard. I just stood my case here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/online-mode-feels-incredibly-incomplete.434727/

We got Mewtwo into high tier, and we can get these if enough people actually say something about it!

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Customs are obviously forbidden in random online matches to keep people from using equipment that can make their fighters too powerful; Critical Hitter is a huge offender with its 20% chance of making attacks deal 3x their normal damage. This does prevent the use of custom special moves as well though.

godogod

Smash Ace
Customs are obviously forbidden in random online matches to keep people from using equipment that can make their fighters too powerful; Critical Hitter is a huge offender with its 20% chance of making attacks deal 3x their normal damage. This does prevent the use of custom special moves as well though.
I'm not talking about equipment. Just the moves.

godogod

Smash Ace
Sadly, custom special moves do count as customizations, since you can't use them without involving equipment as well.
Oh, come on. The developers can easily make a patch to disable them in for glory and have a button in offline and with friends to disable equipment.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Oh, come on. The developers can easily make a patch to disable them in for glory and have a button in offline and with friends to disable equipment.
They could do that but that would probably cost alot of money why spend more money on a game that's finish lol I'm all for the miis but I accept it probably not gonna happen in competitive play that's a different story #freethemiis

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
For Glory is still pretty much trash when you take into account the lag that you're likely to see.
I don't usually run into lag on For Glory THAT often. If I do, I can just leave the room and then fight someone else.

But Anther's Ladder is still better if you want to improve.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
They actually DID include an option to use custom moves but no equipment: It's a 1V1 For Glory bracket in Tourney Mode.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
Get a dmz or port forward your Wii U. It helps quite a bit with lag.

Not everyone gets to play offline with friends that often. FG is the only option for many.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Part of me wants to drop Mewtwo until they finish balancing the game (god knows when that will be). I worry about getting used to 1.1.5 Mewtwo and then he gets nerfed hard (unlikely but still possible).

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Part of me wants to drop Mewtwo until they finish balancing the game (god knows when that will be). I worry about getting used to 1.1.5 Mewtwo and then he gets nerfed hard (unlikely but still possible).
Never I would be so ashamed of you if U do this is your time to prove if your truly loyal to your character

Last edited:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Never I would be so ashamed of you if U do this is your time to prove if your truly loyal to your character
It's not a matter of loyalty. I've mained Mewtwo since he was released. I just worry about getting used to a high/top tier Mewtwo and then having to re-adjust to a mid-tier Mewtwo. That would be such a bummer.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I'm used to a bottom tier Mewtwo so my devotion stays strong.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
It's not a matter of loyalty. I've mained Mewtwo since he was released. I just worry about getting used to a high/top tier Mewtwo and then having to re-adjust to a mid-tier Mewtwo. That would be such a bummer.
That would be a bummer but it's just something you have to deal with look at MK mains there learning to approach their nerfs with there heads up its just a matter of learning something new lol if you truly want to drop him I'm still going to be sad :( :)

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
That would be a bummer but it's just something you have to deal with look at MK mains there learning to approach their nerfs with there heads up its just a matter of learning something new lol if you truly want to drop him I'm still going to be sad :( :)
I'd only be temporarily dropping him. NOT permanently. Smash 4 Mewtwo has been, by far, my favorite character in the entire Smash Bros. series even when he was low tier. There is no way I'd permanently drop him.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm all for the idea of Miis being usable in the online modes. For anyone claiming that the offensive Miis are an issue, someone just mentioned MK8 but also, the names allow you to censor dodge insult anyone you play against. I'd also be down for Smash Tour online since that mode is generally awful with just ai. As for customs, not sure. The equipment issue is a legitimate one since the two are intertwined. 1v1 Tourney allows the former and not the latter but I believe that was only added after they found out how broken equipment could be, plus that mode had/has weird rules. If there were to be any changes to an online mode, I'd want it to be adding a platform stage to FG. Maybe then I'd actually use that mode over FF dubs.

I'm in a similar boat with the whole 'might drop M2 thing' and that goes for Cloud too. I don't use the two characters due to their tier placement, rather I use them because they're fun. That being said, their tier placement could get them nerfed which could in turn make them not fun. I don't need to feel quite as concerned with Robin unless she gets the Dedede treatment.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Personally I'd just make Miis and custom moves a toggable matchmaking option for With Anyone. That's kinda how Tournament Mode works, there's some tourneys that allow for them and some that don't, just in case someone doesn't want to deal with Miis or customs.

FlameEmperor FlameEmperor I already talked about Mewtwo being too fast for me now. As much as I still really like Mewtwo, it's so hard to control a character with so much ground speed. So I dropped him to secondary. I still play him though, and I stick around because this social is cool.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't see why anyone is so worried about nerfs. Mewtwo is barely starting to make a name for himself, and the people complaining about him are still few.

Even if he does get nerfed, I doubt he'll get nerfed to hard. Just a small change or two that you could get used to almost immediately.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
FlameEmperor FlameEmperor I already talked about Mewtwo being too fast for me now. As much as I still really like Mewtwo, it's so hard to control a character with so much ground speed. So I dropped him to secondary. I still play him though, and I stick around because this social is cool.
Not trying to be that guy but it says you main greninja and he's faster than Mewtwo what's up with that

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
I forgive you my child.

Your reasons are..reasonable and condusive of a confused and sorried soul. Although you are somewhat of an outsider as of now we are glad to still have you with us and eagerly await your return.
scum

Last edited:
Thanks king of bad, I forgot to change my sig. Greninja also has that same problem. Corrin is going to be a pocket character now that I have picked up Zelda, and Greninja and Mewtwo will become my speedy backup characters, because Zelda's really slow.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
In regards to nerfs, Mewtwo is deemed what? High mid? High? Top perhaps in some people's eyes? Point being he's far higher than his release counterpart was. And we've seen nerfs to :4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4corrin::4dedede::4littlemac::4peach:and:4rob: none of which are or ever were sitting up there with the likes of :4diddy::4sheik::4zss:. And you have characters like :4ness::4villager: who have never been nerfed to my knowledge. If enough people complain about it, I can see M2 getting some sort of nerf, similar to the one I'm thinking of for Bowser where they made his uthrow -> uair more strict a patch after giving it to him. I'm not thinking M2 will fall to the depths of low tier over a simple nerf and he has far too many useful tools to become another Luigi but the point is, a nerf could happen.

That being said, it could also not and there's no point in worrying about something one can't predict.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
It is never too late to renounce your sins and allow yourself to be saved by the fair lady.

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
From what I've seen of M2K's mewtwo so far I haven't seen to much tech coming from him. He rarely phases, in his set with rougepenguin I didn't see him phase once as a mixup, he also strangly keeps backthrowing in the middle of stages at very low percentages..

Strange

Edit: It doesn't appear he nairs whatsoever take that for what you will. he's on to me, also as a side note the victory screen with :150: laughing is so hot.

Edit 2: He lost to the Fren Fighter. Sadboyz

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
The whole 'bandwagoning' thing is a kinda true. Last night across 3 setups there were 3 Mewtwo's. Then I was in a Mewtwo ditto against this very arrogant guy who won against me with Mewtwo and Charizard and kept saying how 'bad' he was at the game and johning hard about his controller being not on the right setup, then STILL complaining how terrible he was after winning against others too.

Later on I encountered another Mewtwo on FG who was also arrogant after winning a lot of the matches. I haven't touched FG in a year and it seems everytime I do there is always somebody out there to make your night just that little bit worse.

Dropping Mewtwo though, I've wanted to but it's never happened and will never happen. I don't care how hard I get wrecked by other Mewtwo's. I just need to learn people's playstyles and practice reading opponents better.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
It's really disheartening to see so many dropping Mewtwo... part of me is starting to wish he had never gotten these buffs, but at the same time I'm like "what no that's a stupid thought"
... I guess I'll have to live with it.
I suppose I can relate on the fear of incoming nerfs though. But unless they completely neuter him and just make him downright unfun, I'm still going to go strong with our :4mewtwo:

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
It's really disheartening to see so many dropping Mewtwo... part of me is starting to wish he had never gotten these buffs, but at the same time I'm like "what no that's a stupid thought"
... I guess I'll have to live with it.
I suppose I can relate on the fear of incoming nerfs though. But unless they completely neuter him and just make him downright unfun, I'm still going to go strong with our :4mewtwo:
That's what I like to hear some one who can deal with nerfs

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Hey, is anyone aware that an update might occur tomorrow? @Metalex told me about this.
If it will happen tomorrow, what do you guys think will happen?
Obviously a Bayonetta nerf, but I am a bit scared of Mewtwo nerfs. Though, out of all the high tiers he's pretty much the least deserving of one.

Oh, and on the topic of people dropping Mewtwo, I will pretty much never drop him; he is basically the character that completely fits me. He's very comfortable in your hands.
I am, though, sad to hear all the people dropping Mewtwo because of the Newtwo's, I think. Well, go on your own path, but please, my brothers and sisters, stay with us in the beloved Spoon Sword Special.

Last edited:
Top Bottom