• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Guys, I need you to do me a favor. The moment Mewtwo is released, tag me! <3
x3
Thought you were dead. How's chill Tim doing btw?

Anyways, about Ganondorf, while I don't main him myself, I think he has a really diverse playstyle. It's cool to think that even though he's mid-tier, Melee and PM Ganon is a decent counter for even Fox himself, in the right hands at least.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Only one that I've seen him do in a Zelda game is his side tilt. I suppose you could argue his uses his fists in Wind Waker to beat up Link and Zelda, but that's not his primary method of attack in any Zelda games.
His neutral-b (all of them), side-b, jab, f-air, f-tilt, u-smash and Final Smash are all based on canon moves or are particular to him.

Neutral-b - Cop-out answer Hyrule Warriors (combo finisher), Twilight Princess (executioner's blade wielded in final battle)
Side-b - Twilight Princess (choking the sage to death)
F-air - Ocarina of Time (fist slam in final battle)
F-tilt - Twilight Princess (guard-breaking kick in final battle)

Jab and u-smash aren't based on anything in particular, but they're very Ganon-esque moves and nothing like Cap's.

He could be more Ganondorf, sure, and I'd like that a lot. But I'm okay with how he is now. With the exception of a few notable distinctions (run animation, down-b, dash attack, d-tilt, n-air, u-air), I think Sakurai captured the spirit of the character, if not the canon specifics. He at least feels powerful and intimidating, and I like to think his lack of weaponry and magic demonstrates his supreme arrogance: he knows he's more powerful than you are and he'll happily prove it by killing you with his bare hands~ :3

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
His neutral-b (all of them), side-b, jab, f-air, f-tilt, u-smash and Final Smash are all based on canon moves or are particular to him.

Neutral-b - Cop-out answer Hyrule Warriors (combo finisher), Twilight Princess (executioner's blade wielded in final battle)

Jab and u-smash aren't based on anything in particular, but they're very Ganon-esque moves and nothing like Cap's.

He could be more Ganondorf, sure, and I'd like that a lot. But I'm okay with how he is now. With the exception of a few notable distinctions (run animation, down-b, dash attack, d-tilt, n-air, u-air), I think Sakurai captured the spirit of the character, if not the canon specifics. He at least feels powerful and intimidating, and I like to think his lack of weaponry and magic demonstrates his supreme arrogance: he knows he's more powerful than you are and he'll happily prove it by killing you with his bare hands~ :3
Honestly, I don't care about Ganondorf's moveset being canon. He's incredibly fun to play as he is right now, and while I don't use him very frequently, I'll occasionally pull him out just for kicks. Yes, his moveset isn't canon, but its very fun to use. Plus, like you said, he's not quite as non-canon as people sometimes say.
Now, that said, I wouldn't mind seeing Ganondorf get the Palutena treatment, where he would have a more canon default moveset, but his current moveset is retained with Customs.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
So recap, some time in April through 1-7th, you'll get the codes in which you will need to redeem them in order to get your email then you can enter them to get Mewtwo.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So recap, some time in April through 1-7th, you'll get the codes in which you will need to redeem them in order to get your email then you can enter them to get Mewtwo.
It could have been so much simpler.
Email the codes. Go download Mewtwo and have a nice day. But this is Nintendo and they over complicate things.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

Still, fistfighting isn't usually his primary attacking method. I don't mind him having a few brawler moves mixed in, but I'd like to see him use more weapons or attacks he's used against the various Links over the years.

And while I'm usually with you on things, I have to say that I disagree with capturing the spirit of the character. I don't get any of the malice, any of the superiority, any of the power from Smash Bros. Ganon. To me, he just feels like an aggressive old guy. Him fistfighting doesn't make him seem more smug, it just seems unfitting. To me, it's like if Dedede attacked with belly slides or pecks, because he's a penguin, despite his hammer being his trademark weapon.

Mega Espeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Espeon196TF
3DS FC
4511-0466-9842
I am so disappointed that Xenoblade 3D wasn't advertised with the line "Now it can be Reyn time all the time!" at least once.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Still, fistfighting isn't usually his primary attacking method. I don't mind him having a few brawler moves mixed in, but I'd like to see him use more weapons or attacks he's used against the various Links over the years.

And while I'm usually with you on things, I have to say that I disagree with capturing the spirit of the character. I don't get any of the malice, any of the superiority, any of the power from Smash Bros. Ganon. To me, he just feels like an aggressive old guy. Him fistfighting doesn't make him seem more smug, it just seems unfitting. To me, it's like if Dedede attacked with belly slides or pecks, because he's a penguin, despite his hammer being his trademark weapon.
Well, yeah, it's not perfect. But it's something. I'd rather have "clunky old man Ganon" than no Ganon at all.

Different strokes, y'know? I can definitely feel the malice and the intimidation in his fighting style, every move exudes raw power and feels utterly godly. Nothing beats the visceral thrill of slamming your opponent off-stage and condemning their souls to hell with an almighty Ganoncide~ <3

But I respect your opinion. You're definitely right: it's the Ganon we deserve, but not the Ganon we need right now.

And I'm okay with that. :3

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
The anticipation.. it hurts..

I hope that April 1st direct is true.. but damn it it's the perfect punchline for an April Fool's joke..

Last edited:

CeruleanFlow

Smash Cadet
NNID
CeruleanFlow
I think we should have some official information tomorrow, at least about a Direct if nothing else. If not.... let's not think about that till after tomorrow.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
There's different timezones in North America though... lol.

I can't contain my excitement. Everybody else seems to be really excited which is really getting to me too. I was checking this thread all day at school during class, hoping to hear more news. Nothing since what Metros posted seemed to pop up, but seeing everybody else so excited is making me so happy and hyped. I have a lot of work this week (the most I've had in MONTHS), but I'll hang in there for Mewtwo! :grin:

Top Bottom