• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
We still alive waiting for Mewtwo?

Good.

Just for amusement, let me talk about something else for a bit. As of late in the For Glory room, a lot of opponents simply decide to whip out their monkey after losing a couple of matches. I use DK a lot online, so when this happens it is my sole duty to spank that monkey and show him who is the boss of the family. Some of them are good players no doubt, but their intention is the same: trying to "hoo hah" me into oblivion.
It's clear that for some of those players they think that using a top tier will suddenly grant them an easy win when most of the time is not about the character they choose but about the player's skill. I mean, why do this? Definitively some have fallen into a complacent gaming syndrome here. People should really try to get creative with their own characters instead of swinging their monkeys around.
And by that I mean choosing Diddy.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

Good.

Just for amusement, let me talk about something else for a bit. As of late in the For Glory room, a lot of opponents simply decide to whip out their monkey after losing a couple of matches. I use DK a lot online, so when this happens it is my sole duty to spank that monkey and show him who is the boss of the family. Some of them are good players no doubt, but their intention is the same: trying to "hoo hah" me into oblivion.
It's clear that for some of those players they think that using a top tier will suddenly grant them an easy win when most of the time is not about the character they choose but about the player's skill. I mean, why do this? Definitively some have fallen into a complacent gaming syndrome here. People should really try to get creative with their own characters instead of swinging their monkeys around.
Tier whoring will always be a thing. This is why I hope Mewtwo is "terrible" competitively.

D

Deleted member

Good.

Zero is the only enjoyable diddy to watch imo, he gets pretty creative unlike every other diddy.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Zero is the only enjoyable diddy to watch imo, he gets pretty creative unlike every other diddy.
Zero is still a tier *****.
Seriously, he only uses the "good characters"...
I long to see the day when someone wins a major with one of the "bad characters"
...only then, will I that person as a true pro and master of the game... You shouldn't need a handicap to be good like most pro players rely on. It's terrible that they think so highly of themselves when they're honestly just being cheats.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Lol, I'm in Australia, it's Autumn here right now although Summer is taking forever to finish. But I'm not complaining about that XD
Summer is good for one thing only:

As for directs if it is on April Fool's day then I can only hope they're like Rooster Teeth and don't do any "funny" jokes about major announcements.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
@

Sorry to jump back to Mewtwo, but that April 7th date both intrigues me and scares me. I just hope we get a direct, or ANYTHING for that matter, SOON.
From what I'm understanding, April 7th is the last day to put in the codes, then we have a month to download him. Nintendo haven't confirmed this yet, but it's a subtle hint here.

Hopefully this is the case. We may be getting Mewtwo sooner than we think. I really really really hope so!!!

D

Deleted member

Zero is still a tier *****.
Seriously, he only uses the "good characters"...
I long to see the day when someone wins a major with one of the "bad characters"
...only then, will I that person as a true pro and master of the game... You shouldn't need a handicap to be good like most pro players rely on. It's terrible that they think so highly of themselves when they're honestly just being cheats.
Even though he is using top tier, he is still miles ahead of any other diddy player. There's no such thing as a character you can just pick up and automatically win with. He spent time in the lab, learned the character in and out, and has reached a level with it that no one can touch. He can go falcon if he wants, but he wants the money, so he plays diddy.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Tier whoring will always be a thing. This is why I hope Mewtwo is "terrible" competitively.
Tier whores are disgusting, I agree. If you're only playing to win, then don't play. I've found that 99% of the time, tier whores are childish pests who come up with ridiculous excuses for when they lose, and when they win, they never let you forget it.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with maining a high tier character, but the problem is when you main them just because they're high tier. I can't stand those kinds of people.
However, I honestly don't care about Mewtwo's tier placement. If he's high tier, excellent! If not, that's great! The only exception would be if Mewtwo is incredibly broken or incredibly weak. It's no fun to play as a roster's extremes, and, thankfully, Smash 4 seems to be lacking in true outliers, such as Brawl Meta Knight or Melee Pichu. That aside, though, I couldn't care less about Mewtwo's tier placement. If he's high tier and tier whores use him, it'll only be so much sweeter when I smash their skulls in, and if he's low tier, it'll only be that much more awesome with I win tournaments with him. And if he's mid-tier... Well, then, I'll just enjoy maining him. It's a win-win-win for me:laugh:.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Anyone who believed that hasnt been living in the real world long enough.

There was never any doubt that Mewtwo could be bought afterwards. Considering that the WiiU has kind of terrible sales compared to the 3DS, do you REALLY think Nintendo expected everyone to buy copies on both consoles to get a character? How unbelievably unfair would that be to the countless thousands of people who cant afford a WiiU.

Mewtwo was ALWAYS going to be available to buy as DLC whether anyone bought the 3DS version or not.

Another reason is that when he comes out, hes going to come with a big patch. What will probably happen is every single persons version of the game will be updated with a new roster and when you apply the codes, mewtwo will go from greyed-out to playable just like in the 3DS version.

Exactly how many days of furious phone calls, angry emails and mewtwo-or-riot posts are going to be made directed at nintendo until they make him available to play?

Heres my guess; 0

Nintendo is all about pleasing the fans. There is no way they are going to hold back Mewtwo from the salivating masses.

The 3ds + wiiU promotion existed purely to get more sales of both games with the delusion of him being 'free' when in fact it has nothing to do with it. The actual reason for getting both games was to get those CD's. As everyone knows, hes not really free, he is simply $70 to those who REALLY wanted Mewtwo instead of like, $10-$15 to those who just want Mewtwo.

Your comparison about other companies DLC is completely off and not relevant. You are referring to examples of how long it takes them to release DLC, not how long they prevent some players from using them. Heres one for you; guess how many months it will be from release until Mewtwo comes out.... 6! Your prophecy is fulfilled. I cant think of any example in history when a DLC character has been made available for some players while others have to wait. The only wait period involved is the wait that EVERYONE has to go through until its released in the first place. I am NOT talking about cross platform DLC here which is a different case like what GTA does.

Mewtwo is going to be available as paid DLC within 24 hours of him being made available to those who get him via the promotion codes.

No

In your ideal world of what is fair or not, people who paid more and pre-ordered something get it earlier than others. Thats not how it works. Tell me, since when can I pre-order a game from EB or something and get it days earlier than people who buy it normally? Your example literally has no precedent.

You WANT it to seem fair that you paid extra money to get something first but in reality, you just paid significantly more money for what others will get much cheaper and for the reasons above, you will not have access to mewtwo for any reasonable period of time before he is available to buy as DLC for like $10-$15.

Nintendo is not the sort of company that plays cruel pranks on its customers like that. This game is pure unadulterated fanservice. They will give the players what they want, and theyll give it to them fast. They wont put up with thousands of angry customers just because they couldnt afford 2 versions of the game. This isnt Ubisoft were talking about here.

This is all fine and dandy but Nintendo has already done this with many games including Smash itself or do you not remember the Demo coming out a full week earlier to any Platinum Club Nintendo Member? Yea, people who had PAID Nintendo about 600 or more dollars could play Smash a full week earlier than others. Nintendo does that ALL the time.

You keep saying others are just being idealistic and don't see the "true facts" but in reality you're the one doing that.

Also almost all online games nowaday give preorders access to Beta. That is, if you preorder the game you get the game while it's still at Beta phase, that is, much earlier than anyone else, so your own example is incrdibly wrong. You should really see hoe the world works before trying to sell your idealistic ideas of a world where companies don't treat their paying customers better.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Tiers?
As long as Mewtwo isn't broken like Brawl Meta Knight or god awful like Brawl Ganondorf and Pichu I'm happy.
I don't care what character anyone plays as so long as they aren't a ***** about it, Win or Lose.

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
Tiers dont matter and I know tons of pro players know this.
It just boils down to how skilled you are. I also feel like tiers are based around how easy a character is to pick up/who gets the most tourney usage.

Also, iirc, ZeRo used Shulk in Aftershock against Dabuz's Sonic.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I don't particular care about high tier mains. Many people play Smash for many different reasons, these people just play to win. I can respect that and I think it's rude to call them "tier whores" when they play and love smash like us. I have friends that are high tier mains just because the character is high tier and they're the friendliest people I know.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Tier *****s are disgusting, I agree. If you're only playing to win, then don't play. I've found that 99% of the time, tier *****s are childish pests who come up with ridiculous excuses for when they lose, and when they win, they never let you forget it.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with maining a high tier character, but the problem is when you main them just because they're high tier. I can't stand those kinds of people.
However, I honestly don't care about Mewtwo's tier placement. If he's high tier, excellent! If not, that's great! The only exception would be if Mewtwo is incredibly broken or incredibly weak. It's no fun to play as a roster's extremes, and, thankfully, Smash 4 seems to be lacking in true outliers, such as Brawl Meta Knight or Melee Pichu. That aside, though, I couldn't care less about Mewtwo's tier placement. If he's high tier and tier *****s use him, it'll only be so much sweeter when I smash their skulls in, and if he's low tier, it'll only be that much more awesome with I win tournaments with him. And if he's mid-tier... Well, then, I'll just enjoy maining him. It's a win-win-win for me:laugh:.
I feel more accomplished with myself if I win with a low tier character.
It's part of the reason I love the clone characters so much and why I main them. They're the lesser of the originals and seriously underestimated. Do you know how good it feels to crush the original with the outcast?
Anyways....I don't want people to think I main Mewtwo because he's good. I want people to think I main him because I love him as a character and I have faith in myself that I can win, regardless of how good he may be.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Quite frankly, I think it'd be fitting for Mewtwo to end up being a top-tier character; I mean, he is the "Ultimate Pocket Monster", so it'd be fitting to see him show his ultimateness.

Plus, it'd give us more variety for high-level play than everyone using either Shiek or HOO-HAA-I mean, Diddy. :p

Browny

Smash Hater
This is all fine and dandy but Nintendo has already done this with many games including Smash itself or do you not remember the Demo coming out a full week earlier to any Platinum Club Nintendo Member? Yea, people who had PAID Nintendo about 600 or more dollars could play Smash a full week earlier than others. Nintendo does that ALL the time.

You keep saying others are just being idealistic and don't see the "true facts" but in reality you're the one doing that.
Money wasnt involved at that time with the demo.

This mewtwo DLC thing is going to be worth tens of millions. That changes their priorities, they literally could afford to stuff around with the demo since it was just a demo. This time they arent going to anger the people who are about to hand over significant sums of money to them, that would be highly stupid of nintendo.

who cared about the demo anyway.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

This mewtwo DLC thing is going to be worth tens of millions. That changes their priorities.
It was, being a Platinum Member requires you to spend money, about 15 times more money than buying a second Smash for 40 bucks.

You're being a hypocrit if you say money isn't needed to become Platinum member but it is needed to get the Mewtwo promotion as they are both obtained in th EXACT same way.

Edit: Now I understand what you're saying. But now you're saying that Nintendo only wants to get money, when your previous post was about how Nintendo wouldn't reward better paying customers.

Anyways I edited my previous post, your example about early access to preorderd games is ALSO wrong as most online games in this day and age DO in fact give you early access when you preorder. Most give you early access to the Beta while some go as far as giving you a 24 hour to 1 full week head start on games such as MMOs.

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Tier *****s are disgusting, I agree. If you're only playing to win, then don't play. I've found that 99% of the time, tier *****s are childish pests who come up with ridiculous excuses for when they lose, and when they win, they never let you forget it.
However, I honestly don't care about Mewtwo's tier placement. If he's high tier, excellent! If not, that's great! The only exception would be if Mewtwo is incredibly broken or incredibly weak. It's no fun to play as a roster's extremes, and, thankfully, Smash 4 seems to be lacking in true outliers, such as Brawl Meta Knight or Melee Pichu. That aside, though, I couldn't care less about Mewtwo's tier placement. If he's high tier and tier *****s use him, it'll only be so much sweeter when I smash their skulls in, and if he's low tier, it'll only be that much more awesome with I win tournaments with him. And if he's mid-tier... Well, then, I'll just enjoy maining him. It's a win-win-win for me:laugh:.
if i like a character, i will play with him/her. if i don't, i don't. olimar is actually my least favorite character now. has a pretty lame moveset. >.<
It's part of the reason I love the clone characters so much and why I main them. They're the lesser of the originals and seriously underestimated. Do you know how good it feels to crush the original with the outcast?
Anyways....I don't want people to think I main Mewtwo because he's good. I want people to think I main him because I love him as a character and I have faith in myself that I can win, regardless of how good he may be.
preachin' to the choir there. :3

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

This mewtwo DLC thing is going to be worth tens of millions. That changes their priorities, they literally could afford to stuff around with the demo since it was just a demo. This time they arent going to anger the people who are about to hand over significant sums of money to them, that would be highly stupid of nintendo.

who cared about the demo anyway.

You see it as "anger", they don't. Giving the clientele that paid more a week early isn't going to get anyone as "angry" as you think.

More people cared about the Demo that they do about Mewtwo. At the moment 90% of the fans hadn't even touched the game yet. People were paying 10-20 bucks for the Demo which would be free a week later, that's how much they cared.

Browny

Smash Hater
Imagine this scenario, Nintendo on a stage in front of millions of people

"hey guys, were finally here and we know weve kept you waiting for so long. weve got what you waited for but before we open our bank account and accept all of your money, were instead going to tell you all to come back next month... bye!'

Thats not how nintendo works.

You absolutely can not compare how a non-important demo was released to a DLC that is worth tens of millions. Id wager that a good 90% of smash owners dont have both copies. That is a looooooooooot of money waiting to be spent on dlc.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Imagine this scenario, Nintendo on a stage in front of millions of people

"hey guys, were finally here and we know weve kept you waiting for so long. weve got what you waited for but before we open our bank account and accept all of your money, were instead going to tell you all to come back next month... bye!'

Thats not how nintendo works.

You absolutely can not compare how a non-important demo was released to a DLC that is worth tens of millions.
I doubt it will be delayed a month for no reason. My guess is it will be a week. They are still going to get the money later, it's not like the customers will all die a week later.

Also the point I was making wasn't whether it's an intelligent move or not. I was making the point that they have done it before and they could do it now, in fact they already said that it would be released first to those with both versions, that's a fact. How much earlier? We don't know yet.

Browny

Smash Hater
I get your point, but it wasnt an apples-with-apples comparison. DLC is so different to a demo.

Im betting its 24 hours, at absolute worst a week though.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I honestly couldn't care less what people think about me. Some of my friends already think I'm a snobby Smash player because I taunt after every kill, but they're still my friends, so I don't care. If people think I main Mewtwo because he's high tier, they're wrong, but I don't care that they think it. However, that's just me. I see what you're saying, and I respect that.

Considering I main Dr. Mario, I do know how good it feels to bash in a Mario's face. I don't main Doc because he's lower tier, though. I main him because I like him as a character, and also because his playstyle just kind of clicked with me. Y'know, like a *chink* in my head when I first picked him up. Ironically, Dr. Mario is my main, but Mario is probably close to last on my "Would Main" list. Dr. Mario just plays so much different than Mario, despite being a clone. I believe a large part of that is not only due to his lesser mobility and stronger attacks, but also in large part due to Dr. Tornado, which is not only a fun and awesome move in and of itself, I also vastly prefer it to FLUDD, a move that I find to be rather useless and ineffective. Not only that, but Dr. Mario actually benefits from his playstyle more than Mario would if someone tried to play Mario like Doc. It's pretty crazy.

However, while I can't speak for the other clones, I don't know if "lesser" is the word I would use to describe Dr. Mario. Yes, people say he's trash, but like you said, they underestimate him. I would consider Dr. Mario roughly Mario's equal. Doc might be slightly inferior or slightly better than Mario, I don't really know, but I do know that I would place them within each other's vicinity on a tier list. If you want, I could post my arguments, but they're kinda long.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I honestly couldn't care less what people think about me. Some of my friends already think I'm a snobby Smash player because I taunt after every kill, but they're still my friends, so I don't care. If people think I main Mewtwo because he's high tier, they're wrong, but I don't care that they think it. However, that's just me. I see what you're saying, and I respect that.

Considering I main Dr. Mario, I do know how good it feels to bash in a Mario's face. I don't main Doc because he's lower tier, though. I main him because I like him as a character, and also because his playstyle just kind of clicked with me. Y'know, like a *chink* in my head when I first picked him up. Ironically, Dr. Mario is my main, but Mario is probably close to last on my "Would Main" list. Dr. Mario just plays so much different than Mario, despite being a clone. I believe a large part of that is not only due to his lesser mobility and stronger attacks, but also in large part due to Dr. Tornado, which is not only a fun and awesome move in and of itself, I also vastly prefer it to FLUDD, a move that I find to be rather useless and ineffective. Not only that, but Dr. Mario actually benefits from his playstyle more than Mario would if someone tried to play Mario like Doc. It's pretty crazy.

However, while I can't speak for the other clones, I don't know if "lesser" is the word I would use to describe Dr. Mario. Yes, people say he's trash, but like you said, they underestimate him. I would consider Dr. Mario roughly Mario's equal. Doc might be slightly inferior or slightly better than Mario, I don't really know, but I do know that I would place them within each other's vicinity on a tier list. If you want, I could post my arguments, but they're kinda long.
Dr. Mario also clicks better with me than Mario ever did. Let people think what they want about the Doc. He'll always be good to me. <3

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Alright, you guys ready for my crazy awesome theory? OK, here goes.

So, according to Metros, we have until April 7th to redeem our download codes for Mewtwo. April 7th is next Tuesday. Now, April 7th is exactly one week after March 31st, and the 31st is the cut-off date for registering both games.
Now here's where the theory comes in.
Giving players 1 week to redeem their Mewtwo download codes is a reasonable amount of time, I would say. So, what if we get Mewtwo tomorrow, since that's when it's officially been the 31st/is the 31st in all regions?

Tom13

Smash Apprentice

So, according to Metros, we have until April 7th to redeem our download codes for Mewtwo. April 7th is next Tuesday. Now, April 7th is exactly one week after March 31st, and the 31st is the cut-off date for registering both games.
Giving players 1 week to redeem their Mewtwo download codes is a reasonable amount of time, I would say. So, what if we get Mewtwo tomorrow, since that's when it's officially been the 31st/is the 31st in all regions?
I want this to happen so badly. I want Mewtwo like right NOW.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

Getting Mewtwo tomorrow would make my heart explode with happiness. <3

You know, somehow I want to believe the other Pokemon are all waiting for Mewtwo to come back so they may truly test their strength.
What better way, no?

Top Bottom