• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
I completely agree with you. Mewtwo was garbage in Melee and there he is as my main. Heck, look at my mains in Smash 4. There's freaking Charizard and Palutena, who according to most people suck, but I have so much fun with them. That being said, I won't deny I would feel better if Mewtwo was a good fighter this time around.
i also agree. captain falcon was **** tier in brawl, yet i played with him.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I feel like most people misunderstood my comment about Mewtwo being high tier :C I don't care about tier lists; I think Smash is all about using characters you find fun. What I meant is that I really want him to be a great fighter this time, hence why I used the term "high tier", but didn't mean it literally. I don't care about his spot in the tier list; I'm still going to main the crap out of him! I haven't waited all these years for nothing!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Missing a little less than 2 weeks until Mewtwo offer closes.

Let's see what happens between then.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I feel like most people misunderstood my comment about Mewtwo being high tier :C I don't care about tier lists; I think Smash is all about using characters you find fun. What I meant is that I really want him to be a great fighter this time, hence why I used the term "high tier", but didn't mean it literally. I don't care about his spot in the tier list; I'm still going to main the crap out of him! I haven't waited all these years for nothing!

Finally your the first person to not care about tier list

I don't care for tier list either. you master the character and you can score a ton of KOs even with the lowest tier (in this case the sword/gunner mii)

The only reason i joined the tier game is just to have fun.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Posting this because it's so appropriate, and feelsy.
46716705_p0.png

I'm really eager to see what they did with him.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To be fair, Spinda has an amazing ability in Contrary, and, when paired up with Superpower- can be quite a potent threat.
That's a gimmick at best.
Contrary would be so much better on that thing if it had the stats to take advantage of it, like Serperior and it's base 113 speed.
This may have been asked before, but why do you guys like Mewtwo so much?
I'm part of the third generation, and became interested in Pokemon during the Hoenn TV show.
However, there is one twist to this; I didn't have Cartoon Network as a kid. Just Boomerang. Even though my mom was hesitant to let me get into Pokemon because she didn't know much of it and because of the violence, she eventually gave me permission to watch the show. (Jeez, I make her sound like a helicopter parent. She isn't one. She was just careful about the media I was exposed to as a kid so I didn't end up watching something I shouldn't, unlock a lot of kids, and I'm grateful for that).

Well turns out there was a kid down the street who was also really into Pokemon, and he had something I really wanted; Pokemon the Movie.
So I borrowed it, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

But it didn't end there. One day, I was at school and I saw someone else who was playing pokemon, and they had something I didn't actually think you could catch; Mewtwo.
I asked him how he caught it, and he gave me the very specific instructions, and I did it. I already used my Masterball on Articuno, so I had to catch it the hard way, to. And this was before I knew to save before a capture, but...it still worked. I caught it.

Since then, I think Mewtwo was the second or third pokemon I grinded to level 100.

Even though I'm a third generation kid, I feel like my story is a lot like those from Generation one. It wasn't a little later that I became the Hoenn nut I am today.

I wish I could say I have that same Mewtwo today, but I don't. I lost it, and the rest of the team, when my Platinum cartridge went missing soon after HG/SS came out. But all of my favorites from Fire Red still have a special place in my heart because of that.

....Oops, I caught myself rambling again.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
As for my opinion on tiers: I like to know where characters are on them and their match-ups and stuff, but I honestly couldn't care less about them. I main Dr. Mario, and he'll be bumped down to my secondary when Mewtwo arrives, and people generally say that he's bad. Now, that said, I don't think he's as bad as people say, but even if he is trash, then I'd still main him. I don't main characters based off tiers. I main characters based on how they play and, most importantly, if I like them as a character or not.

For me it's the first movie, he made such a big impression on me that i was really static when i unlocked him (this was a surprise for me) in Melee, he sucked, but i still mained him. Ofcourse his OST in Red and Blue also helped a lot!
I like him for Mewtwo Strikes Back and Mewtwo Returns, like a lot of other people. His backstory with Ambertwo and stuff is really emotional and deep, and the movies he starred in were just incredible in general. I also tend to gravitate toward characters with his kind of personality and character development, not to mention his awesome powers, so that's another factor. Mewtwo being in Melee was amazing, and I'm obviously looking forward to his Smash 4 release.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

For me it's the first movie, he made such a big impression on me that i was really static when i unlocked him (this was a surprise for me) in Melee, he sucked, but i still mained him. Ofcourse his OST in Red and Blue also helped a lot!
Mostly in his role of Melee and the first movie, gota love dem evil chuckles!

Edit: I also Love FemTwo's movie, hate all cha want *deelzwithit*

Last edited:

Kaora

Smash Cadet
Some news from nintendo america on their twitter about mewtwo (can't post the link I'm too new)
Nothing amazing but I thought it would be better than nothing.

Ps : Yes I almost freaked out when I saw mewtwo, and then I read ! But hey at least it's something from nintendo !

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't know why, but it's just somehow super-satisfying to see that.
It's not really news as much as it's just a reminder, but it's kind of refreshing to see Nintendo mention it.

Maybe it's just because I've been waiting for Nintendo to say something for so long now.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

M24S4

Smash Cadet
I hope that's not the only reminder for people to register their versions, they should rather hold a direct next week :)
Although the timing here was perfect with the beginning of spring

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I feel this is an indicator we're getting something soon. Maybe a trailer next week? And if we're talking overly optimistically, maybe Mewtwo would be distributed on March 31st.

Like that would happen. :sadsheep:

Last edited:

M24S4

Smash Cadet
I feel this is an indicator we're getting something soon. Maybe a trailer next week? And if we're talking overly optimistically, maybe Mewtwo would be distributed on March 31st.

Like that would happen. :sadsheep:
Yeah or maby it could be exactly the oposite, because now they have already done a kind of reminder so they don't have to show anything before the 31th.. but let's hope the best

It's almost been half a year...that ain't early.
But didn’t the actually start developing him in december? That would "only" be 3 and a half month, regarding the fact they don't have the complete team working on him, not enough time

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
But didn’t the actually start developing him in december? That would "only" be 3 and a half month, regarding the fact they don't have the complete team working on him, not enough time
I would assume they started developing him around the time they started the finishing touches on the Wii U version.

It came out in Japan in early December, but I don't think they needed the programmers and the balancing team to be working on localization that much.

But eh, who knows. What goes on behind the scenes of game development can be a huge mystery.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Any shiny Mewtwo owners in this thread? Caught one back in SS, in a Moon Ball. Didn't have to SR or anything, first encounter.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't have a shiny Mewtwo, or any non-event shiny legends for that matter.
I don't have the patience to shiny hunt. Besides, the joy of finding a shiny when you don't except it by far beats spending long hours to make it happen, imo. I never know what I'm going to get or when I'm going to get it, and that just makes it super exciting when it does happen.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I honestly don't think it means much. I mean, we're two weeks from the deadline, so it makes sense that Nintendo would remind everyone to register their games. That said, I expect something on or around March 31st, so I'm not that upset about it. But who knows? Maybe we'll get some Mewtwo news really soon. That would be great!
Any shiny Mewtwo owners in this thread? Caught one back in SS, in a Moon Ball. Didn't have to SR or anything, first encounter.
Unfortunantly, no. I can't even remember the least time I encountered a Shiny Pokémon, let alone a Legendary or Mewtwo.
I just love this picture and I feel like its appropriate for the first day of Spring
View attachment 43684
Can I just say that I absolutely love this picture? It's cute and really sweet! The same goes for the picture with the letter.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I would assume they started developing him around the time they started the finishing touches on the Wii U version.

It came out in Japan in early December, but I don't think they needed the programmers and the balancing team to be working on localization that much.

But eh, who knows. What goes on behind the scenes of game development can be a huge mystery.
Well, they completed the model before they even announced his return, obviously.
After that, they would have needed to program:
  • His rigging (animations)
  • Moveset (Attacks, Final Smash, hitboxes, hurtboxes, attack properties like strength and trajectory)
  • Fine-tuning so he's relatively balanced (probably)
  • Character properties like weight
  • Sound effects and voice acting
  • Minor character specifics (Boxing ring profile, possibly Palutena's Guidance, etc.)
  • And debugging any Mewtwo-specific bugs or glitches. Seriously, you'd be amazed how a simple balance patch to fix one or two minor things can cause so many more issues to crop up, like some kind of digital hydra.
So far, they've had six months to do all that. I wouldn't be surprised if he was ready for release in April. I also wouldn't be surprised if he took longer, like June or even later.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
>shiny legendaries

I caught a legit shiny Mewtwo. The Synchronize trick didn't work until Emerald so I spent hours soft resetting in Leaf Green until the mission came to an abrupt happy failure as she appeared before me in the shiniest green my unworthy mortal eyes have seen.

Of course the rapture was short lived as the reality of having to play through the game again to get a good Mewtwo set in.

Last edited:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Well, they completed the model before they even announced his return, obviously.
After that, they would have needed to program:
  • His rigging (animations)
  • Moveset (Attacks, Final Smash, hitboxes, hurtboxes, attack properties like strength and trajectory)
  • Fine-tuning so he's relatively balanced (probably)
  • Character properties like weight
  • Sound effects and voice acting
  • Minor character specifics (Boxing ring profile, possibly Palutena's Guidance, etc.)
  • And debugging any Mewtwo-specific bugs or glitches. Seriously, you'd be amazed how a simple balance patch to fix one or two minor things can cause so many more issues to crop up, like some kind of digital hydra.
So far, they've had six months to do all that. I wouldn't be surprised if he was ready for release in April. I also wouldn't be surprised if he took longer, like June or even later.
Mind you we only saw a model. It might not even be the final model, textures or anything. It probably didn't even have a rigging at that point, let alone animations. So yeah...not surprised we haven't seen anything. Just hold on to your butts until the next direct.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Don't have a shinny Mewtwo.

I did catch a 31/3/31/31/31/31 Timid and a Jolly 31/31/31/10/31/31 one.

Top Bottom