• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
alright, sorry if this is a dumb or annoying question, but this is the social topic so I want to ask this, who else loves Mewtwo's tail, as in, it's your favorite part about him? Pretty much the only reason I even consider using Mewtwo is because of his huge tail, he's fun and all but I don't think I would even bother if he didn't have that tail.

Now, to not just be that guy who only talks about one thing only, and to start discussion, what is the most satisfying thing you have done with Mewtwo?
Mewtwo has a nice tail. I for one was annoyed when I first saw Mega Mewtwo Y, precisely because putting Mewtwo's tail on his head made absolutely no sense. I still think that I like Mega Mewtwo X better to this day.

There is no one characteristic of Mewtwo that I dislike per se, especially since they shrunk his fingertip pads a bit since Gen 1. They looked super awkward back then. My favorite part of Mewtwo is undoubtedly his head, though. The shape of his head, eyes, etc., are just really handsome to me. When Mewtwo is angry, I like that he looks powerful. When Mewtwo is sad, I like that he looks sad. When Mewtwo is happy, he looks happy. A lot of Pokémon don't really have enough expressiveness to properly convey emotions; Mewtwo doesn't have that problem.

Much more than how he looks, though, I love Mewtwo's story, personal growth, and straight-up power. I mean, on some level, it's easy to watch Mewtwo go on a rampage and feel some kind of a power trip, kind of like watching Dragonball Z.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I personally like back throw's animation the most. Mewtwo be like "Screw off."
His Back Throw is badass.

I mostly like Mewtwo because of the fleshed-out, interesting character the anime has given him (or her, in one case), and also because he's a really awesome Pokémon to battle with in the Pokémon games themselves. His tail is quite impressive, however.
Thinking about it, I don't even know why did I start to like Mewtwo.... I think it was because I liked to use him after I captured in Leaf Green.... or was it before that that I started it?

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
alright, sorry if this is a dumb or annoying question, but this is the social topic so I want to ask this, who else loves Mewtwo's tail, as in, it's your favorite part about him? Pretty much the only reason I even consider using Mewtwo is because of his huge tail, he's fun and all but I don't think I would even bother if he didn't have that tail.

Now, to not just be that guy who only talks about one thing only, and to start discussion, what is the most satisfying thing you have done with Mewtwo?
I like Mewtwo because not only is he the most fun to me out of every character on the roster so far, but I absolutely adore psychic abilities and the like. Mewtwo is the perfect embodiment of that, so the moment he was released was the moment he just clicked with me. His movie really fleshed out his character and he was easily my favorite legendary back when I first learned about him (debatable now, as these new Gens have brought out so many awesome Legendaries!).

If I had a superpower, it would be telekinesis hands down! :150:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I really liked his playstyle and weaknesses. I tend to shy away from most top tiers, as my playstyle can't fit agressive or Hyper-defensive characters, diddy was the only exception.

I loved his punish game, AT potential and recovery. Plus, he is definetly one of the cooler characters in Sm4sh.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I hope they slightly nerf Shadow Mewtwo, then, because if you fight him on higher than easy difficulty, he's fairly OP. One of his best moves creates an AOE that rapidly charges his mega evolution/burst meter. His "kill everything" super burst is a OHKO, I think.
In fighting games the playable version of a boss character is usually nerfed. Even Akuma in Super Turbo (famously broken). The player version of ST Akuma was nerfed (although he was still broken.) I think a better example would be like, SF4 with its Akuma final boss who is stronger than the playable one, or even Gouken/Oni.

Basically they probably will have the player version be significantly/slightly weaker.

Also just dropping in to say congrats on the buffs, enjoy your much more solid character now! His foundations are stronger than ever before, these combos are real af. Good luck with the labbing and stuff! :068:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mewtwo has a nice tail. I for one was annoyed when I first saw Mega Mewtwo Y, precisely because putting Mewtwo's tail on his head made absolutely no sense. I still think that I like Mega Mewtwo X better to this day.

There is no one characteristic of Mewtwo that I dislike per se, especially since they shrunk his fingertip pads a bit since Gen 1. They looked super awkward back then. My favorite part of Mewtwo is undoubtedly his head, though. The shape of his head, eyes, etc., are just really handsome to me. When Mewtwo is angry, I like that he looks powerful. When Mewtwo is sad, I like that he looks sad. When Mewtwo is happy, he looks happy. A lot of Pokémon don't really have enough expressiveness to properly convey emotions; Mewtwo doesn't have that problem.

Much more than how he looks, though, I love Mewtwo's story, personal growth, and straight-up power. I mean, on some level, it's easy to watch Mewtwo go on a rampage and feel some kind of a power trip, kind of like watching Dragonball Z.
There's a thread around here complaining that Smash Mewtwo doesn't have his glowing blue eyes from the anime/Stadium, but I think that's unnecessary when you can see the ferocity in his eyes when he smashes (especially fsmash)

There are lots of satisfying things I've done with Mewtwo: dair spikes (or killing with the sourspot), nair gimps, bair stage-spikes, usmash catching... I suppose my favourite is wall-of-paining with bair to carry them off the screen (eat your heart out, Jigglypuff).

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I celebrated my quarter century today by playing some Smash with a friend. I think I did the best as Mewtwo! :D

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Mewtwo's tail is where all the flavour is! And ftilt can jab lock at low percents.

Got into Mewtwo cuz I loved Pokemon as a kid and enjoyed the first movie. Used him in Melee and even after learning how to be decent at Smash, I still enjoyed Mewtwo.

The most satisfying thing I've done with Mewtwo was during a FG dubs match. I was knocked high off stage, I used Confusion to try and stay up while recovering and the opposing Sheik used Bouncing Fish. She got grabbed by Confusion and since she was mashing b and towards me she ended up using her Grenade off stage. Taunted right after and we won that match.

Sonicninja115

Mewtwo's tail is where all the flavour is! And ftilt can jab lock at low percents.

Got into Mewtwo cuz I loved Pokemon as a kid and enjoyed the first movie. Used him in Melee and even after learning how to be decent at Smash, I still enjoyed Mewtwo.

The most satisfying thing I've done with Mewtwo was during a FG dubs match. I was knocked high off stage, I used Confusion to try and stay up while recovering and the opposing Sheik used Bouncing Fish. She got grabbed by Confusion and since she was mashing b and towards me she ended up using her Grenade off stage. Taunted right after and we won that match.
In regards to the jab-lock, I believe it is usually best to use mini SB and then continue the lock with Ftilt. I just wanted to point that out, no hard feelings.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
In regards to the jab-lock, I believe it is usually best to use mini SB and then continue the lock with Ftilt. I just wanted to point that out, no hard feelings.
That requires having a small Shadow Ball though. If you have a fully charged Shadow Ball and a chance to jab lock someone close to you either through knocking them off a platform into that untechable state or if the opponent just misses a tech close to M2 then ftilt is your only option...assuming the opponent is still in the percent to get jab locked by it.

I will agree that when you have access to small Shadow Balls, they are far superior for jab locking with longer range and a higher percent before they stop jab locking.

Sonicninja115

That requires having a small Shadow Ball though. If you have a fully charged Shadow Ball and a chance to jab lock someone close to you either through knocking them off a platform into that untechable state or if the opponent just misses a tech close to M2 then ftilt is your only option...assuming the opponent is still in the percent to get jab locked by it.

I will agree that when you have access to small Shadow Balls, they are far superior for jab locking with longer range and a higher percent before they stop jab locking.
Mewtwo's usual set-ups for jab-locks are tumbles right? Like using Nair to force a person to tumble off a platform. I wonder, if you don't have a small SB, if the best option is to PP Ftilt. Only the tip of Ftilt locks right?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Mewtwo's usual set-ups for jab-locks are tumbles right? Like using Nair to force a person to tumble off a platform. I wonder, if you don't have a small SB, if the best option is to PP Ftilt. Only the tip of Ftilt locks right?
I'm pretty sure I've gotten jab locks to happen with the base of ftilt but they end a lot faster than tipper ftilt and obviously Shadow Ball. And I actually never thought to use nair to force tumble on someone on a platform. Welcome to not playing the game for 3 months and forgetting almost everything about your character!

Sonicninja115

I'm pretty sure I've gotten jab locks to happen with the base of ftilt but they end a lot faster than tipper ftilt and obviously Shadow Ball. And I actually never thought to use nair to force tumble on someone on a platform. Welcome to not playing the game for 3 months and forgetting almost everything about your character!
First off, we are on page 444.

Second, I have been looking into stuff like that recently. Bair can do it as well, but just not all the time. Nair's set KB makes it really nice.

I will look into Ftilt more, it is interesting.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I celebrated my quarter century today by playing some Smash with a friend. I think I did the best as Mewtwo! :D
What better way to spend your birthday than beating your friends into a pulp with Mewtwo?

----------
I love the animation on dthrow though, personally my favorite throw in the game, if only there was a reason to use it...
My favorite throw animation for Mewtwo is... Uh, well... *Points at my profile*

----------
For those who haven't seen Shadow Mewtwo's "kill everything" attack yet:

I wouldn't mind if this was Mewtwo's Final Smash is SSB5, to be honest. It's really cool, even if it's an obvious reference to Dragon Ball Z:p. Also, sorry for all of the dotted lines, guys. I couldn't figure out a better way to format a post with one-line responses to three quoted messages. This is just the least ugly way of doing so. >_<

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I messed around with this character in some online friendlies.

My god Nair is so good right now, super safe on crossup usually and it COMBOS into anything that's fast now (you can even drag down airborne opponents!), it's really absurd. This character isn't bottom anything IMO, these improvements are WAY too massive. I could eat crow but I'm on the hype train right about now. He's WAYYY better.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Another sees the light that glows from our fair lady...

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Finally got my mewtwo amiibo, yesterday!

Really happy with how it looks. the plastic stand really isn't that notable, the pose is great, his limbs arn't as thin as wii fit's for example and he has a pretty good size.

One of the best looking amiibos, period :)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Finally got my mewtwo amiibo, yesterday!

Really happy with how it looks. the plastic stand really isn't that notable, the pose is great, his limbs arn't as thin as wii fit's for example and he has a pretty good size.

One of the best looking amiibos, period :)
Best part is there's no pee stick.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
...I...I thought this was a good wiki...
It isn't at all. It knows only a few things, but it actually contains some wrong information.
Additionally, it contains a lot more missing information, especially in the movies department.

The part on down tilt, it says:

"Mewtwo crouches and sweeps its tail in a semi-circle. Mewtwo's fastest tilt, though severely lacking in knockback. Good as an out of shield option."

I can't believe they didn't add the fact that it is Mewtwo's best combo starter. At all. Who cares if it's severely lacking in knockback if it combos into a lot of Mewtwo's moves?

On forward air, it says:
"Mewtwo performs a dark energy-infused swipe. One of the fastest aerials in the game, having 5 frames of start-up and high knockback, making it one of Mewtwo's viable KOing options. Although its low range makes it difficult to connect, it can be used as a follow-up from a down throw. KOs at around 143%."

It is not one of the fastest aerials in the game. And, it's not hard to connect at all. It doesn't really have low range to it. Plus it's so easy to follow up after a down tilt.

Hell no it cannot be used out of down throw. That's only if your opponent is a dork.

On down air, it says:

"Mewtwo backflips and then performs a downward arcing stomp while its foot is infused with dark energy. It has been significantly buffed from Melee, as it now sports somewhat fast start-up (Hitting at frame 15, which is 1/4 of a second in SSB4), very high knockback scaling and is an extremely powerful meteor smash when sweetspotted. Grounded opponents are sent diagonally upwards with high knockback, which further makes it a viable KOing option overall and one of the best aerials in the game. KOs at around 134%."

It's not one of the more viable KO options of Mewtwo. And, how is it one of the best aerials in the game? I can understand it's a pretty good one, but one of the best in the game is way, WAY too far fetched. It is unexplored, sure, but right now it is obviously not one of the best aerial moves in the game.

On down throw, it says:

"Mewtwo telekinetically slams the opponent to the ground and spins to whip them with its tail. Lowest knockback out of Mewtwo's throws, making it used mainly to set up combos into a forward smash, forward tilt or forward aerial."

Whoever was the writer of this must be just as bad as all the other For Glory Mewtwo's just because of this. It doesn't combo into those things at all and it only barely combos into a forward air.

On up throw, it says:

"Mewtwo telekinetically swirls the opponent around its body before launching them upwards. It was the strongest up throw in the game until update 1.0.8, when Charizard's up throw surpassed it when it was buffed in that same update. Despite this, it is still one of Mewtwo's most viable KOing options, especially while under the effects of the rage mechanic. KOs at around 142% against most opponents, although lighter opponents are KO'd even earlier."

Excuse me? I will say that Charizard's has more KB, but Mewtwo's is still the best because of the angle. Why didn't they put it in there?

On somewhere else on the wiki page...

"Mewtwo has received a mix of buffs and nerfs in the transition from Melee to SSB4. As of update 1.1.3 it is debatable whether it has been buffed or nerfed, due to it being a low-tier character in Melee. Although Mewtwo's buffs are significant, Disable and Confusion in particular, they do not properly compensate for its nerfs to its approach, combo game, and survivability, and its major flaws from Melee being retained, or even worsened. However, since both its buffs and nerfs are significant, it is hard to tell whether Mewtwo, as a character, is better than it was in Melee or not."

Are you freaking kidding me, man? Do they not realize how much better Mewtwo is now? There isn't even a debate whether Melee Mewtwo or Smash 4 Mewtwo is better. It's undoubtedly Smash 4 Mewtwo. Now stop thinking like that, damn.

How do they not compensate for it's nerfs? I'd also like to talk about when it says its combo ability was toned down.
Do they not realize that Mewtwo's combo ability is actually better than many characters in this game when you put all of his combos together? I think Smash 4 Mewtwo has more combo ability than Melee Mewtwo.

It's not hard to tell at all if Smash 4 Mewtwo is better than Melee Mewtwo. Melee Mewtwo is a piece of garbage thrown in a garbage disposal. This one is no garbage.

There's more to this, but I think you get the point. SmashWiki is incredibly flawed and I highly doubt whoever wrote the wiki page for Mewtwo knows as much as any good Mewtwo around here.

Yeah, that page is basically an abomination in prose. It's actually what made me discard SmashWiki as a reliable source. Now, I double-check anything I see on that site.
Wanna correct it with me?

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
It isn't at all. It knows only a few things, but it actually contains some wrong information.
Additionally, it contains a lot more missing information, especially in the movies department.

The part on down tilt, it says:

"Mewtwo crouches and sweeps its tail in a semi-circle. Mewtwo's fastest tilt, though severely lacking in knockback. Good as an out of shield option."

I can't believe they didn't add the fact that it is Mewtwo's best combo starter. At all. Who cares if it's severely lacking in knockback if it combos into a lot of Mewtwo's moves?

On forward air, it says:
"Mewtwo performs a dark energy-infused swipe. One of the fastest aerials in the game, having 5 frames of start-up and high knockback, making it one of Mewtwo's viable KOing options. Although its low range makes it difficult to connect, it can be used as a follow-up from a down throw. KOs at around 143%."

It is not one of the fastest aerials in the game. And, it's not hard to connect at all. It doesn't really have low range to it. Plus it's so easy to follow up after a down tilt.

Hell no it cannot be used out of down throw. That's only if your opponent is a dork.

On down air, it says:

"Mewtwo backflips and then performs a downward arcing stomp while its foot is infused with dark energy. It has been significantly buffed from Melee, as it now sports somewhat fast start-up (Hitting at frame 15, which is 1/4 of a second in SSB4), very high knockback scaling and is an extremely powerful meteor smash when sweetspotted. Grounded opponents are sent diagonally upwards with high knockback, which further makes it a viable KOing option overall and one of the best aerials in the game. KOs at around 134%."

It's not one of the more viable KO options of Mewtwo. And, how is it one of the best aerials in the game? I can understand it's a pretty good one, but one of the best in the game is way, WAY too far fetched. It is unexplored, sure, but right now it is obviously not one of the best aerial moves in the game.

On down throw, it says:

"Mewtwo telekinetically slams the opponent to the ground and spins to whip them with its tail. Lowest knockback out of Mewtwo's throws, making it used mainly to set up combos into a forward smash, forward tilt or forward aerial."

Whoever was the writer of this must be just as bad as all the other For Glory Mewtwo's just because of this. It doesn't combo into those things at all and it only barely combos into a forward air.

On up throw, it says:

"Mewtwo telekinetically swirls the opponent around its body before launching them upwards. It was the strongest up throw in the game until update 1.0.8, when Charizard's up throw surpassed it when it was buffed in that same update. Despite this, it is still one of Mewtwo's most viable KOing options, especially while under the effects of the rage mechanic. KOs at around 142% against most opponents, although lighter opponents are KO'd even earlier."

Excuse me? I will say that Charizard's has more KB, but Mewtwo's is still the best because of the angle. Why didn't they put it in there?

On somewhere else on the wiki page...

"Mewtwo has received a mix of buffs and nerfs in the transition from Melee to SSB4. As of update 1.1.3 it is debatable whether it has been buffed or nerfed, due to it being a low-tier character in Melee. Although Mewtwo's buffs are significant, Disable and Confusion in particular, they do not properly compensate for its nerfs to its approach, combo game, and survivability, and its major flaws from Melee being retained, or even worsened. However, since both its buffs and nerfs are significant, it is hard to tell whether Mewtwo, as a character, is better than it was in Melee or not."

Are you freaking kidding me, man? Do they not realize how much better Mewtwo is now? There isn't even a debate whether Melee Mewtwo or Smash 4 Mewtwo is better. It's undoubtedly Smash 4 Mewtwo. Now stop thinking like that, damn.

How do they not compensate for it's nerfs? I'd also like to talk about when it says its combo ability was toned down.
Do they not realize that Mewtwo's combo ability is actually better than many characters in this game when you put all of his combos together? I think Smash 4 Mewtwo has more combo ability than Melee Mewtwo.

It's not hard to tell at all if Smash 4 Mewtwo is better than Melee Mewtwo. Melee Mewtwo is a piece of garbage thrown in a garbage disposal. This one is no garbage.

There's more to this, but I think you get the point. SmashWiki is incredibly flawed and I highly doubt whoever wrote the wiki page for Mewtwo knows as much as any good Mewtwo around here.

The only thing to do now is to fix it, especially that part about dtilt.

Browny

Smash Hater
On up throw, it says:

I wish whoever is the admin of that website would just quit already. Every time I update that section someone changes it back to be wrong. 135% with no rage and perfect DI is when it kills mario on FD.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I'm starting to feel that this page

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Mewtwo_(SSB4)

Doesn't know anything about Mewtwo at all
I only ever use this website to get images of the little Stock heads. I never realized it could be this bad! :laugh:
I'm glad you all are taking an action to fix these. More people need to know of Mewtwo's abilities! :150:
I suppose I could help out, too!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
...I...I thought this was a good wiki...
Well, it's not entirely bad, but I still double-check most things I see on there. I wouldn't consider it a good source of information you would use, say, in an educated debate about a character's strengths, match-ups, and tournament viability, which is usually the level of information I'm looking for, but it's usually a good place to get general information. For example, it has a comprehensive, up-to-date list of all the Smash games' tier lists, match-up charts, and match-up totals, but it doesn't do a very good job of explaining why those data are like that. It's got the conclusion, but not the procedure. That's why I've written SmashWiki off as unreliable. You can still use it for some things, but, overall, I just consider it misinformed and heavily swayed by popular opinion, even if the popular opinion is incorrect. All Wikis have that problem, of course, but some just don't keep it in check very well.
Sure! I'd love to! I'll give it a few edits once I'm able to get to my computer.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I only use the smash wiki for general information. I don't take in any of the competitive stuff from the site too seriously.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
That's why we visit Smashboards anyway....
Who needs Smash Wiki for competitive info?
I used to be an avid user of ssbwiki, but since I joined Smashboards, I only really use it to look past official tier lists or to look at the pages for the games.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Sometimes I'm in the mood to check the wiki to see what alternate colors are based on, but sometimes I find some of them to be a stretch or probably false.

Furret24

Smash Master
I use SmashWiki in every single post I make.

It has a complete archive of the fighter head icons.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Yeah, SmashWiki is a mess. It annoys me when people try and use that information as reliable too.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I mean, saying Mewtwo was nerfed from Melee just because he's on a "relatively" lower spot on the tier list (with 50+ fighters as opposed to 25), is like... is :zelda: worse than :zeldamelee:?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
is :zelda: worse than :zeldamelee:?
Definitely not. Pretty much all :zeldamelee: has over :zelda: is stupidly good lighting kicks. No good moves other than those aside from D-smash and F-tilt. Brawl Zelda was just in the wrong game imo. She's a lot more solid of a character, but hindered by Brawl's mechanics.

Last edited:

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
Having a friend over, gonna try a bit of Mewtwo again, but Cloud is super fun but I GONNA MAKE THIS CHARACTER WORK, because he has a big tail and thus it is destiny that I get at least competent with him for at least friendlies if not tournament. Wish me luck I guess.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Shiny new buffs? Yes please.

Can't wait to update my Wii U and try Newtwo out for myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom