• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ever since @ --- --- revealed that Mewtwo amiibo, this thread has become pretty desolate/dead.
tumblr_nnstz0L7OC1rvbl4vo2_500.gif

Well we could talk about the latest chapter of the Pokemon manga. :smirk:

Poor Sceptile and Blaziken, Mr. Stone certainly has turned evil. Not sure where Diancie came from, but the mentions of the machine the former is using to drain life forces coming from a rival company to the Devon Corp definitely makes me think this takes place before XY.

Kind of bugged that Ruby is still playing the hero while Emerald, and especially Sapphire do crap (seriously, don't put her on the sidelines like in RS again >_>). Hopefully Hoopa leads to something, while the potential revival of Aqua/Magma means this won't be a short saga like HG/SS was.

D

Deleted member

Myuutsu
Item: Mew2nightX (Mewtwonite X)
Evs: 252 attack, 252 sp.def, 4 hp
Ivs: (you already know)
Nature: Adamant
Moveset
--
Psycho Cut|Drain Punch
. . . . Bulk Up|Earthquake

@ Igzex Igzex we all know that the real Mewtwo's a male.

Last edited by a moderator:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Strikes Back Mewtwo is fine and I respect the admiration that you and many others have for him, but all my faith and belief belongs to the fair lady.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Is the original Butter Building theme from Brawl still in this game? I haven't seen it listed which frankly worries me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is the original Butter Building theme from Brawl still in this game? I haven't seen it listed which frankly worries me.
Yeah, I remember hearing it, needs to be unlocked iirc

**** move. 3 players, one was behind me but didn't attack as we were playing Mewtwo Tennis, the guy behind me was on his last stock. I teleported instead of reflecting. He was SO mad!

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
For a time during the 90s all I ate was Burger King. Got most of the toys, the poster (which I hung in my room for a while), and the vast majority of the cards. The Pokeballs the toys came in were also pretty rad.

Gen 1 may not have aged well, but man do kids these days underestimate just how much of a cultural phenominon Pokemon was when it hit the US.
Aw man those big Pokeballs with the golden cards on the inside was just the absolute best

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Mmm, interesting how some pre-1.0.8 patch of some japanese tier lists place DK at the bottom. I don't agree with that, I know DK as a hard time in this game but he is not that bad. Although I think there might a good explanation as to why he is considered that way that isn't really tied with his performance but rather with the culture of the japanese community.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mmm, interesting how some pre-1.0.8 patch of some japanese tier lists place DK at the bottom. I don't agree with that, I know DK as a hard time in this game but he is not that bad. Although I think there might a good explanation as to why he is considered that way that isn't really tied with his performance but rather with the culture of the japanese community.
What are you talking about? Diddy Kong is already in A-Tier! :troll:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Until they stop making DLCs, trying to construct any sort of tier list is a meaningless effort. You have Diddy Kong at god tier and then Mewtwo happens and Diddy Kong is top tier then Roy, Ryu, and Lucas happen and Diddy Kong is mid tier. Who knew power was so fleeting...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Until they stop making DLCs, trying to construct any sort of tier list is a meaningless effort. You have Diddy Kong at god tier and then Mewtwo happens and Diddy Kong is top tier then Roy, Ryu, and Lucas happen and Diddy Kong is mid tier. Who knew power was so fleeting...
Next character update happens, Diddy gets nerfed again where the Greninja joke becomes obsolete

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Next character update happens, Diddy gets nerfed again where the Greninja joke becomes obsolete
Diddy Kong gets nerfed again? Greninja joke becomes obsolete? That leaves us with only one choice...
nerf Greninja

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I noticed that most of the japanese community play on Omega stage most of the time, for them that this the ideal scenario for a fair 1-on-1 fight, that also happens to be one of DK's worst stages since Omega favors projectile camping or fast characters such as Mac, Falcon and Sonic harassing you from below making it tough to land. Not even Battlefield is considered.

Also, DK himself is not a very beloved character around this parts, so most players in general just don't care about advancing his meta game at all. Must be something against gorillas (Did Godzilla vs King Kong left a bad taste in their mouths?). So yeah, it seems that because of this they give him a very low placement.
This is why it has been up to me to give the poor guy some representation, a lot of my friends hate when I use Kong because of the whooping they are going to get, even without customs.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I noticed that most of the japanese community play on Omega stage most of the time, for them that this the ideal scenario for a fair 1-on-1 fight, that also happens to be one of DK's worst stages since Omega favors projectile camping or fast characters such as Mac, Falcon and Sonic harassing you from below making it tough to land. Not even Battlefield is considered.

Also, DK himself is not a very beloved character around this parts, so most players in general just don't care about advancing his meta game at all. Must be something against gorillas (Did Godzilla vs King Kong left a bad taste in their mouths?). So yeah, it seems that because of this they give him a very low placement.
This is why it has been up to me to give the poor guy some representation, a lot of my friends hate when I use Kong because of the whooping they are going to get, even without customs.
DK is awesome. Unfortunately, because of that one custom move, I've noticed that not a lot of people like DK. Truly a shame.

D

Deleted member

Personally, I have to admit that I too prefer Omega Stages.
My problem with platforms is that they don't work well in Smash. It's like having multiple mini-versions of the main stage clustered up into one concealed space (the base platform). In my opinion, they just get in the way and sever the flow of the matches.
There have been so many times where I would've gotten combos in (in all of the Smash games), yet the platforms got in the way.

I wouldn't mind having one large platform, but having 3 small ones... ugh, this isn't Mario or Sonic guys... just no.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Personally, I have to admit that I too prefer Omega Stages.
My problem with platforms is that they don't work well in Smash. It's like having multiple mini-versions of the main stage clustered up into one concealed space (the base platform). In my opinion, they just get in the way and sever the flow of the matches.
There have been so many times where I would've gotten combos in (in all of the Smash games), yet the platforms got in the way.

I wouldn't mind having one large platform, but having 3 small ones... ugh, this isn't Mario or Sonic guys... just no.
That's exactly the point platforms exist though...

Some combos just won't work when there are platforms, while some combos ONLY work when there are platforms. Platforms open up a new dimension of movement options too, and also create a new way to pressure your opponent with horizontal stage control in neutral, something that isn't present in platform-less stages (unless you're being juggled, but at that point you're not in neutral).

You can prefer platform stages or platform-less stages. It depends on your playstyle and your character, but you cannot say it "severs the flow of the matches" because it doesn't really. Captain Falcon just becomes much faster and much more combo heavy when played on a stage with platforms, which makes the match more hype and faster paced.

What I mean is, even though I almost always ban BF and I sometimes ban Lylat, I still think they should always be legal because they lead to a plethora of other combos and playstyles that just can't happen in Omegas.

There's also platform-only techs and even ledge cancels, which become prominent in platform stages and make the game faster too.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Hence why this a 2D platform fighter. There too many types of stages and I don't see a good reason why one would take away one of the things that has been fundamental in Smash since the beginning. In a traditional fighting it doesn't work that well, but in Smash they mesh perfectly. Saying that they don't work well is just a way of stretching out a problem that doesn't exist in the first place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's exactly the point platforms exist though...

Some combos just won't work when there are platforms, while some combos ONLY work when there are platforms. Platforms open up a new dimension of movement options too, and also create a new way to pressure your opponent with horizontal stage control in neutral, something that isn't present in platform-less stages (unless you're being juggled, but at that point you're not in neutral).

You can prefer platform stages or platform-less stages. It depends on your playstyle and your character, but you cannot say it "severs the flow of the matches" because it doesn't really. Captain Falcon just becomes much faster and much more combo heavy when played on a stage with platforms, which makes the match more hype and faster paced.

What I mean is, even though I almost always ban BF and I sometimes ban Lylat, I still think they should always be legal because they lead to a plethora of other combos and playstyles that just can't happen in Omegas.

There's also platform-only techs and even ledge cancels, which become prominent in platform stages and make the game faster too.
As for the combo bit, platforms hurt more than help.
As for the movement options, they don't really help much, they just get in the way. There have been so many times where I have hit somebody with an Aerial Attack that I would've been able to follow up with had a platform not been there to trigger my landing lag before I could react.
This is probably just me, but I've never been a fan of the neutral. I just go offense.

It's not as black/white as that for me. I don't mind platforms, I just dislike the way they are used. In Smash 4, they integrate platforms more like this is a platformer than as extra ground to stand on. If there was only one, large platform in the center of the stage, I would be content. but when you bring forth 10,000 platforms, it gets insane, and... well... casual.
Also, why make a broken character like Captain Falcon (who is fast and strong) even faster and even stronger?

I don't mind these stages being legal either, but they are mostly just casual stages.

It makes the game faster for certain characters (like Falcon), but what does it do for, say, Olimar, or Dedede, or Game&Watch?
Yeah, nothing.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I like platforms because of stage diversity. Making small changes to platforms can drastically change how characters play on that stage. Because of this, different stages with platforms balances out the cast. As a result, you'll see players preferring certain stages because of their character. Platforms also allows for players to develop tactics and strategies to take advantage of it. Competitive Smash would be a lot less interesting for me if platforms didn't exist.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, it's just you.

And the Captain broken? Now I've heard everything.
yup. Any character who's fast and strong is automatically overpowered. and don't try the "the game is balanced" approach, that one has been around since Melee, saying it now means nothing.

A good Captain Falcon will always beat a good Palutena/Olimar/Game&Watch

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Warning Received
Eh, not really. But I guess everything is overpowered from a scrub's point of view.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
yup. Any character who's fast and strong is automatically overpowered. and don't try the "the game is balanced" approach, that one has been around since Melee, saying it now means nothing.

A good Captain Falcon will always beat a good Palutena/Olimar/Game&Watch
I don't think Falcon would win vs Olimar.

Also Falcon is just barely top 10 if at all. Luigi, Rosalina, Ness, Mario are all characters slower than Falcon that are just much better. If you're measuring attack speed and not movespeed then Falcon is by no means fast attacking.

Platforms help different chars have different strategies for fighting other chars. They are healthy for the overall metagame as they promote the viability of different strategies and therefore different characters.

Some chars are good with platforms, some are not. Some play differently with platforms, allowing them to fight a character they might have not been able to fight on a platformless stage, etc.

Platforms promote combos more than they break them since most landing lags are quicker than FAF most of the time utilizing a platform to land right after and aerial can lead into creative combos that would be impossible with double jumps of landing on the main platform.

Even Mewtwo can do 3 F-Airs as a true combo if he utilizes his full jump with a platform. And once he lands the 3 F-Airs he still has his second jump and he's right next to the opponent (depends on %) which means that even if the next hit is not true combo, you are still close enough to follow up with a 4th aerial AND have your double jump to try and go for something fancy/creative.

D

Deleted member

Eh, not really. But I guess everything is overpowered from a scrub's point of view.
Resorting to insults when you've lost a debate is for the weak

I don't think Falcon would win vs Olimar.

Also Falcon is just barely top 10 if at all. Luigi, Rosalina, Ness, Mario are all characters slower than Falcon that are just much better. If you're measuring attack speed and not movespeed then Falcon is by no means fast attacking.

Platforms help different chars have different strategies for fighting other chars. They are healthy for the overall metagame as they promote the viability of different strategies and therefore different characters.

Some chars are good with platforms, some are not. Some play differently with platforms, allowing them to fight a character they might have not been able to fight on a platformless stage, etc.

Platforms promote combos more than they break them since most landing lags are quicker than FAF most of the time utilizing a platform to land right after and aerial can lead into creative combos that would be impossible with double jumps of landing on the main platform.

Even Mewtwo can do 3 F-Airs as a true combo if he utilizes his full jump with a platform. And once he lands the 3 F-Airs he still has his second jump and he's right next to the opponent (depends on %) which means that even if the next hit is not true combo, you are still close enough to follow up with a 4th aerial AND have your double jump to try and go for something fancy/creative.
Luigi, Rosalina, Ness, and Mario are all Fast and Strong too, especially Luigi.

The question is, are those strategies good ones? We don't need more camping in then there already is in this game.

If some characters are not good on platforms (Gamewatch, Olimar, etc) then it just creates further unbalance. Smash 4 should be balance 24/7, not when the strict requirements call for it.

It can be an even 50/50 on the whole combo thing, but certain aerial combos just get annihilated because of them.

It's good to see that Mewtwo has a means of boosting his viability, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom