• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
...Still going to have 3-4 mains.
Of course. Although I think having one or two mains is the best option, an even better option is doing something you're comfortable with. If you're most comfortable with 3-4 mains, then go for it. Don't force yourself to go one/two mains if you don't like doing so. In the end, it's a game, so choose the option you have the most fun with. :chuckle:

C_Swirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
C_Swirls
3DS FC
3583-1148-6789
I main Dr. Mario pretty hardcore. No pocket characters, no secondaries, no nothing.
No matter what you say, every person who's ever touched a Smash game has a pocket Falcon.

C_Swirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
C_Swirls
3DS FC
3583-1148-6789
Lord Mewtwo doesn't care for the mortal that is Falcon. I have no reason to ask for forgiveness. :shades:
While you are correct in your first statement, you must pay for your crime.

Settle it in smash. I'll be waiting.

Last edited:

C_Swirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
C_Swirls
3DS FC
3583-1148-6789
...when the 15th comes. I currently have no motivation to play because no Mewtwo. ;P
Excuses :p
But understandable. By the 15th I'll lose the necessary motivation to use Falcon to style on you because...
Mewtwo

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Idk if it's just me, but depending on the stage, whenever I'm close to closing out stocks against Villager, I somehow end up offstage and then get Bowling Ball'd.
The funny thing is, reflectors like Confusion can screw up Villager's forward smash. So in theory, Mewtwo could use it to get past even wall-of-bowling-balls when recovering.

It would look hilarious if Confusion made the bowling ball fly back/hit Villager in the face.

C_Swirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
C_Swirls
3DS FC
3583-1148-6789
The funny thing is, reflectors like Confusion can screw up Villager's forward smash. So in theory, Mewtwo could use it to get past even wall-of-bowling-balls when recovering.

It would look hilarious if Confusion made the bowling ball fly back/hit Villager in the face.
Regular reflectors/counters do so why not?

C3CC

Smash Lord
Three? Four? Ha, I have SIX mains (well, four now, waiting for the other two to arrive). I can't understand how people manage to main only one character. How do they not get bored? It usually takes me three to four fights to feel the NEED to switch between my mains.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I'll have to agree with @Pacack here. Focusing your time on one or two characters is better than having several mains at once. More time spent on the characters so they're more refined.

It takes time and skill and near-utter devotion for me to be this fast. :4sonic:

Playing around with more characters does allow you to experience how other characters play, so you can learn the matchup or even develop new techniques with them that transfer to your main.

However, actually maining many characters can reduce the refinement of each separate character. As in, if one spends as much time on one character as they would otherwise on four, then they'll obviously have a more refined version of that one character.

In the end, though, it's mainly up to what you find fun. And in my opinion, trying to try-hard too hard isn't fun. :4sonic:

I think Kirby for me managed to come along as a secondary (well, "2.5", due to Mewtwo) main due to him being my favorite "classic" (read: "2D") platforming character. (You'd expect Sonic to be my favorite in this case, since he's my favorite character, right? Well, Sonic's gone mostly 3D these days, so that's the reason for the distinction.)

Last edited:

Range

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2079-7847-2811
I used to play Captain Falcon, then I realized I was better with Ganondorf. Well, Custom Ganondorf (who I personally call Old Manondorf) at any rate. My normal Captain Falcon is better than my Ganondorf.

I refuse to main a character until I get Mewtwo, at which point I'll have 1 main and 52 secondaries.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
All of the characters in my signatures are ones I will sometimes refer to as "mains", but in reality, Charizard is my only one true main.
I play all the others pretty well, and I'm constantly improving them...but I'm not nearly as good with a single one of them as I am with good ol' Zard.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Regular reflectors/counters do so why not?
I wasn't arguing against it per se, just why it would be funnier with Mewtwo than with other reflectors/characters.

Other reflector/counter moves make sense as either logic/science or magic shooting stuff back at you.

Mewtwo's Confusion would literally just by it using its psychic power to say "no u" to the bowling ball/gravity/Villager.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I have way more mains than all of you guys combined.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad that confusion reflects, I'm really hoping it'll be a combo starter too. Looks like it from the vids. Oh, and all us West Coasters get Mewtwo at 12 Eastern Time... Three more days!

GreninjaTwo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintenTheScout
3DS FC
0989-1996-0168
Am I the only one who noticed we're only one page away from 200? Dang, this forum flies by.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Who is?

(although I'm assuming Kirby)
Yep, Kirby. My post was a (subpar) joke about the people who posted about the different characters they play.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Oh hey, I just noticed we have 1 more page until page 200. Yayyyyyyy

this thread is too goddamn fast i swear 10 days ago we were at page 90

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Can you really call them "mains" at that point though?
People get defensive about characters they play proficiently (as in, they actually know how to/put time in to play better than average).

"Main" in the competitive sense would be what character(s) you would focus on as far as Competitive Smash/playing to win would go. There are certaintly people that can and do play multiple characters well, but obviously everyone has their "best" character, and would need to choose them when it came down to win-or-lose situations (tournaments being the big one most people here go by).

I myself used everyone/random in Brawl (when competing in more than just friendlies/wi-fi) and continue to do so in this game, but my "main" in both terms of overall best/favorite to play as would have been Samus.

Others misconstrue the statement/idea of mains as you ">HAVING<" to stick with only one or a few select characters. It's simply commonly accepted that sticking with only your best usually works out better than trying to micromanage multiple characters at once.

GreninjaTwo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintenTheScout
3DS FC
0989-1996-0168
Oh hey, I just noticed we have 1 more page until page 200. Yayyyyyyy

this thread is too goddamn fast i swear 10 days ago we were at page 90
HEY! I noticed it first!
Am I the only one who noticed we're only one page away from 200? Dang, this forum flies by.

Last edited:

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I'm the only person in the universe who dislikes Falcon, aren't I? :smirk:
I've honestly been getting sick of seeing all the Captain Falcon's online. I see more Captain Falcons than Diddy and ZSamus combined. They should just replace the For Glory picture with just Captain Falcon and Luigi.

Last edited:

C_Swirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
C_Swirls
3DS FC
3583-1148-6789
"Main" in the competitive sense would be what character(s) you would focus on as far as Competitive Smash/playing to win would go. There are certaintly people that can and do play multiple characters well, but obviously everyone has their "best" character, and would need to choose them when it came down to win-or-lose situations (tournaments being the big one most people here go by).
Others misconstrue the statement/idea of mains as you ">HAVING<" to stick with only one or a few select characters. It's simply commonly accepted that sticking with only your best usually works out better than trying to micromanage multiple characters at once.
I understand what you're saying, and I don't want to seem like I'm undermining your agrument in any way but like you said, every person has his/her best character(s). My only gripe is the semantics. If I can efficiently play as half the cast (even on a competitive level) and I know out of all those characters I play best with Mario, it just seems wrong imo to use the word main to describe everbody else.

CeruleanFlow

Smash Cadet
NNID
CeruleanFlow
Maybe we'll be at 300 pages by the night of the release.. Holy cow this thing has gone insane.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
I wish I would have found the thread sooner. I have been looking for a social to talk about bending spoons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom