• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Dragonball characters are full blown Mary Sue, double your power meter by screaming a bit, regen arms and legs on a whim, survive in the vacuum of space, die 17 times and come back to life like it's nothing...

Dragonball is a series without real reason or logic, so I'm not surprised of M2 is less powerful than any Dragonball Z character...
You saw the awkwardness of the Mewtwo one minute melee, right?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
There isn't really a "why" to this.
He gets new resistances and weaknesses, gets a STAB bonus on fighting type moves (meaning they become 50% stronger) and overall opens up new strategies.
Yeah. I was just about to mention how Mega Mewtwo X's additional Fighting-type completley changes his weaknesses, which can make it good for mixing things up, or, in situations where you're fighting a Dark-type, for gaining an upper hand if you're at disadvantage. That Fighting-type STAB works God-like wonders on powerful Dark-types, though Mega Mewtwo Y's Insomnia and still-powerful Aura Sphere typically makes him better against Darkrai and his oh-so annoying Dark Void.
Keep in mind that this coming from the mouth of a super-casual Pokémon player, so I could very well be totally wrong on all of this:lol:.
Dragonball characters are full blown Mary Sue, double your power meter by screaming a bit, regen arms and legs on a whim, survive in the vacuum of space, die 17 times and come back to life like it's nothing...

Dragonball is a series without real reason or logic, so I'm not surprised of M2 is less powerful than any Dragonball Z character...
Come on now. You act like you don't pretend you're a Super Saiyan and practice opening doors with Kamehamehas when you're alone.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Yeah. I was just about to mention how Mega Mewtwo X's additional Fighting-type completley changes his weaknesses, which can make it good for mixing things up, or, in situations where you're fighting a Dark-type, for gaining an upper hand if you're at disadvantage. That Fighting-type STAB works God-like wonders on powerful Dark-types, though Mega Mewtwo Y's Insomnia and still-powerful Aura Sphere typically makes him better against Darkrai and his oh-so annoying Dark Void.
Keep in mind that this coming from the mouth of a super-casual Pokémon player, so I could very well be totally wrong on all of this:lol:.

Come on now. You act like you don't pretend you're a Super Saiyan and practice opening doors with Kamehamehas when you're alone.
yeah. and i DO like dragon ball z. but i agree with I_hate_usernames. it isnt very well grounded in logic. character with godlike powers? pshh. watch your friend die and you get even more godly powers to crush him like an insect. oh and only make a select few main characters worth a damn while leaving the rest (non-saiyans. *cough cough*) to rot. what dragon ball taught me is that the human race are the weakest fighters in the whole universe. and EVERY OTHER RACE INTRODUCED can and will kick our collective asses. and that saiyans and half-saiyans are mary-sues. what with their ability to get stronger when beaten to near death (-gameshark- Zenkai) and their ability to go blonde.

that said, thanks to teamfourstars comedic genious and a few good dbz games (fave so far is budokai tenkaichi 3) i too am somewhat of a fan. and am picking up xenoverse. but you wont catch me dead as a human original character. XD

Last edited:

Spirst

DB/DBZ is great if you don't read too much into it. The games are usually fun although have been diminishing in quality for sometime now. The best ones in my opinion are Budokai 3/Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Raging Blast 2 wasn't bad but it did feel kind of empty. Battle of Z was crap though. Xenoverse, I'm iffy on so far but I'll give it a try at least.

I will say that I loved Battle of the Gods. It wasn't the serious-toned drama like much of DBZ but it was so entertaining to watch and it was nice to see a canon story after so many years.

Last edited:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I don't actually like DBZ that much actually!

I used to watch a bit of it as a kid, but rewatching it nowdays, it just pisses me off with the sheer amount of plot holes, inconsistencies, and sheer filler.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I never really liked DBZ. I enjoyed the Dragon Ball manga but I found the anime and DBZ really boring.
That being said I always found the video games pretty fun. I loved playing my friend in Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
yeah. and i DO like dragon ball z. but i agree with I_hate_usernames. it isnt very well grounded in logic. character with godlike powers? pshh. watch your friend die and you get even more godly powers to crush him like an insect. oh and only make a select few main characters worth a damn while leaving the rest (non-saiyans. *cough cough*) to rot. what dragon ball taught me is that the human race are the weakest fighters in the whole universe. and EVERY OTHER RACE INTRODUCED can and will kick our collective *****. and that saiyans and half-saiyans are mary-sues. what with their ability to get stronger when beaten to near death (-gameshark- Zenkai) and their ability to go blonde.

that said, thanks to teamfourstars comedic genious and a few good dbz games (fave so far is budokai tenkaichi 3) i too am somewhat of a fan. and am picking up xenoverse. but you wont catch me dead as a human original character. XD
You do realize that Uub, 18, 17 (they are still human), Krillin, Tien, Yamcha and Chaoz are stronger than 99% of the universe right?

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
Never got to big into DBZ, however I did like the origanal show.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
OK, I didn't expect my comment to blow up in my face like that. I was just making a joke. I didn't mean to imply that anyone should or needed to like DBZ. I apologize if I offended anyone.
As for my opinion on DBZ, I don't know enough about it to actually form an unbiased opinion. I only saw a few episodes as a kid, but the ones that stuck out to me were the ones with Frieza, so I do remember a little bit about Super Saiyans and all that stuff. However, looking back on what little I do remember, there were plotholes and inconsistencies here and there. Again, this from what I remember, so it's possible that I'm wrong. Really, the only reason I'm able to keep up a intelligible conversation about DBZ with you guys is because I Google everything when it gets brought up:laugh:. I only know the name of a few moves and stuff.
Seriously, though, I can't be the only here who opens doors with punches and kicks when nobody's watching, right? Right?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
@Aninymouse

@the king of murder

@Mewtwoultima

@ThePsychoWolf

I will be trading Tyrunt tomorrow at 12pm EST. Jolly Nature. Will have some perfect IV's but not up to par with mine obviously. Because I'm lazy and MH4U is too addicting.
Welp, for some reason I didn't see the notification. Just let me know if there's another day you'd consider trading with me. If not, well. Okay. Maybe someone who got one could breed me one? I don't need any IVs, just the hidden ability. I've done enough breeding myself to know how to get what I want.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I love DBZ. It somehow manages to be stupid, ridiculous, over the top, goofy, and moronic, yet you find yourself getting invested in it. There are actually some really genuinely good moments in it too. I saw Battle of the Gods in theaters, and it was so much fun.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
You do realize that Uub, 18, 17 (they are still human), Krillin, Tien, Yamcha and Chaoz are stronger than 99% of the universe right?
still outclassed by every major villain in z. and even more outclassed by the saiyans/half saiyans.
17 and 18 don't count, they are obviously cyborgs.
and krillin and yamcha.... stronger than most of the universe? i'd buy stronger than 99 percent of the human race (which, isn't much of an accomplishment,really). not the universe. yamcha was the only one who nappa DIDNT kill in the saiyan saga, yamcha was killed by ****ing saibamen. and they do next to NOTHING in the android and cell sagas.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Eh. Not unless it has more to offer than ORAS. I already didn't buy ORAS because I felt it didn't offer enough over XY.
I'm one of those fanboys who's blindly loyal to Pokemon, so I have to get every main series game. I just can't help it.

...Also, I play it competitively, so I kind of have to have the most recent one, especially considering that all of the official tournaments are held on the most recent versions of the games.

I'm also secretly hoping for a new Mewtwo mega evolution that isn't lame like the other two.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
View attachment 39820
But seriously, why are we even having this discussion? Has NO-ONE here seen Gurren Lagann??View attachment 39822
image.jpg

I'm dead serious when I say Jergingha (Planet Destruction Form) would mop the floor with any DBZ/Gurren Lagann character. Try me. Don't get me wrong, they're all super cool, but none of them beat Jergingha PDF in terms of sheer obliteration potential.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I'm pretty sure any crazy bad fanfiction's oc (for pretty much anything) will be able to destroy all of the above, as the writers make it so they can NEVER die, NEVER make a mistake, are perfect in every way possible, are extremely overpowered, and are Gary Stues/Mary Sues on crack...I think you get the idea.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm pretty sure any crazy bad fanfiction's oc (for pretty much anything) will be able to destroy all of the above, as the writers make it so they can NEVER die, NEVER make a mistake, are perfect in every way possible, are extremely overpowered, and are Gary Stues/Mary Sues on crack...I think you get the idea.
Bruh. When I was 11 or 12, I would write self-insert O.C. Sailormoon fanfiction. I can confirm that this is true. Except for the "cannot die" part! Everyone knows that the sacrificial death is tiers above the invincible status. Or be like me and make a character that can do both. I drew fanart for that jank and everything.

"Adaron, Warrior of the Sun," or something like that.

I was a very depressed child.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Bruh. When I was 11 or 12, I would write self-insert O.C. Sailormoon fanfiction. I can confirm that this is true. Except for the "cannot die" part! Everyone knows that the sacrificial death is tiers above the invincible status. Or be like me and make a character that can do both. I drew fanart for that jank and everything.

"Adaron, Warrior of the Sun," or something like that.

I was a very depressed child.
I don't think oc's in general are BAD, as some can actually be decent, or even really good. The problem is that there are just so many people that screw things up and make them BAD.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't think oc's in general are BAD, as some can actually be decent, or even really good. The problem is that there are just so many people that screw things up and make them BAD.
Why did you feel the need to qualify your post? I was agreeing with you. I think it's reasonable to be critical of the Mary Sue characters devised by depressed or autistic teenagers. I would willingly poke fun and cringe at my own stuff. It's usually pretty horrible stuff.

For me, my love of the Sailormoon mythos was only half of it. The other reason I did it, and things similar to it, was to cope with intense pain in my life. It was mostly all a coping mechanism, and not a very effective or healthy one, I suppose.

But yeah, I can look back on all that and agree: O.C. fanfiction is usually pretty horrible... or at least the Shounen-style stuff is. It's easier to pull off an effective Shoujou-style romance story, because it can appeal less to the fantastical and more to our emotions or humanity.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Well, you keep bringing them up as auto defense in any "scale of power" argument.

Just sayin, I honestly don't know what to make of it.
Well, I'm merely stating that I've read a decent amount of bad fanfictions before, and I've seen oc's with op abilities like "resurrecting an entire species" to "destroying a planet and restoring it with the snap of a finger" to even "attracting spells that get [insert character here] to fall in love with them" so pretty much the DBZ cast...except much MUCH worse.
PS: I was also trying to make a joke whilst still bringing up an accurate point.
the joke
^
your head
NAXT! :p
Why did you feel the need to qualify your post? I was agreeing with you. I think it's reasonable to be critical of the Mary Sue characters devised by depressed or autistic teenagers. I would willingly poke fun and cringe at my own stuff. It's usually pretty horrible stuff.

For me, my love of the Sailormoon mythos was only half of it. The other reason I did it, and things similar to it, was to cope with intense pain in my life. It was mostly all a coping mechanism, and not a very effective or healthy one, I suppose.

But yeah, I can look back on all that and agree: O.C. fanfiction is usually pretty horrible... or at least the Shounen-style stuff is. It's easier to pull off an effective Shoujou-style romance story, because it can appeal less to the fantastical and more to our emotions or humanity.
I was merely saying that I've seen oc's done correctly, but it's not commonplace. As for Sailor Moon, I don't really watch anime, I mean I USED to watch DBZ (or just regular DB...I don't recall) on occasion and a small amount of Naruto, but that's about it (Unless you count RWBY). This also means I have no idea what "Shounen-style" or "Shoujou-style" even means, so I'll just say 7.8/10. :p

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well, I'm merely stating that I've read a decent amount of bad fanfictions before, and I've seen oc's with op abilities like "resurrecting an entire species" to "destroying a planet and restoring it with the snap of a finger" to even "attracting spells that get [insert character here] to fall in love with them" so pretty much the DBZ cast...except much MUCH worse.
PS: I was also trying to make a joke whilst still bringing up an accurate point.
the joke
^
your head
NAXT! :p

I was merely saying that I've seen oc's done correctly, but it's not commonplace. As for Sailor Moon, I don't really watch anime, I mean I USED to watch DBZ (or just regular DB...I don't recall) on occasion and a small amount of Naruto, but that's about it (Unless you count RWBY). This also means I have no idea what "Shounen-style" or "Shoujou-style" even means, so I'll just say 7.8/10. :p
I feel like we're talking past one another.

In any case, "shounen" means "boys." It's the shows and comics aimed at males, like Dragonball Z. "Shoujo" means "girls," and shows and comics in this style tend to be more expressive in their visual style. Sailormoon is such a show, but there just aren't all that many shoujo anime in general.

I always liked Dragonball Z growing up... I watched Toonami. I liked all the boy stuff. But for whatever reason, I liked Sailormoon the most.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
AH 5 ALERTS! NonSpecificGuy is attacking us once again! Send reinforcements immediately!!! :troll:
I feel like we're talking past one another.

In any case, "shounen" means "boys." It's the shows and comics aimed at males, like Dragonball Z. "Shoujo" means "girls," and shows and comics in this style tend to be more expressive in their visual style. Sailormoon is such a show, but there just aren't all that many shoujo anime in general.

I always liked Dragonball Z growing up... I watched Toonami. I liked all the boy stuff. But for whatever reason, I liked Sailormoon the most.
You asked why I felt the need to qualify my post, I was stating that ALL Mary Sues/Gary Stues were horrid, but not ALL oc's are such. You see, it's easy to make an oc a Mary Sue/Gary Stue, and that's what ruins a LOT of fanfics (not all, there's more issues), but there are some oc's are written rather well. I assumed you thought all oc's were that bad I suppose.
I didn't know that Shounen/shoujo stuff, so:
maxresdefault.jpg
I remember Toonami, I saw some stuff from there...but DBZ is the only thing I remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Top Bottom