• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The thing that makes Dragon Quest notable isn't "Sakurai played the game and liked it." That's a weak argument. It's the fact that written about and praised the series repeatedly that sticks out, especially his comparison of Kirby to a Dragon Quest character (see: Square Enix Character argument) and roundtable discussion with Junichi Masuda and Yuji Horii, director of Dragon Quest.
Ah I see, I do recall the frequent visits of Yuji and Sakurai. So I suppose this is fair.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
TBH It's 50/50 for me between speculating a DQ character in smash, and just talking about the series. Sometimes I get so immersed in talking about the series, I forget about the Smash part.

We've also gotten a few conversation twists like when we got into a Chrono Trigger appraisal moment.

Btw we're all sleeping on Chrono Cross. By now, not being on Nintendo Systems is a minor technicality. So, Lynx Mii costume pls.
Chrono Cross soundtrack is a sleeper hit honestly its really good

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Chrono Cross soundtrack is a sleeper hit honestly its really good
It's really is! Great soundtrack, the game although not on par with it's predecesor, should come yo Switch as well. I never managed to unlock more than one ending, not to mention even getting the whole roster.

(Insane to think about Smash already having a larger roster than CC. I never thought any game would ever top it's total # of characters. Well, except Pokémon).

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Ah I see, I do recall the frequent visits of Yuji and Sakurai. So I suppose this is fair.
Who sat on special visitor's seats in Satoru Iwata's funeral where just right next to his families?
Shigesato Itoi, the designer of MOTHER/EarthBound series and the person who came up with the name of Supuer Smash Bros.
Tsunekazu Ishihara, the producer of Pokemon series and the head of The Pokemon Company and Creatures Inc.
Yuuji Horii, the father of Dragon Quest series and the designer of the super influential detective adventure game Portopia Serial Murder Case.
And of cource, our daddy, Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of Kirby series and our all-time favourite Super Smash Bros.
They were always been good friends.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
This brings up a point i want to bring up since everyone is acting Doom and Gloom when we're discussing the possibility of it not being Erdrick.

This is how actually Smash speculation is supposed to be.

Guys, it's supposed to be fun. If you're upset that we're mentioning the possibilities of a character that isn't who you were spoonfed to believe it is, then that's on you.

This is why I have my bottle popping ready for if it isn't Erdrick. Nothing against him or DQ, no matter how aggressively indifferent I am towards the series, but it's more that I want leakers to be wrong. Leaks are useless to me. I don't care. I don't care about anyone's "credibility". I'd rather have fun being wrong than to confine myself to delegating something that Internet Man said as gospel.

I'm more interested in the spark of hope that little Timmy here can get his Phoenix Wright or the glimmer of light that I've given you in regards to 2B.

It's more fun this way.
Hope this doesn't come off as rude, but I can't help but wonder if you'd have this opinion if a character you really wanted was heavily rumored by "leakers".

This is pretty much the only time I've ever really wanted "leakers" to be right, so while you'd be popping your bottles, I'd be over here like:

Despair.jpg

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's very nice to celebrate people not getting something they really wanted just because it makes things more fun for you. Not that it matters, but if the shoe were on the other foot, I wouldn't be wishing against you getting Phoenix Wright for such a reason.

I understand where you're coming from, though.

By the way, I'm pretty certain that "Brave" isn't Erdrick, so you'll most likely get your time to celebrate. That said, I do think there's a chance he'll show up down the road regardless. At least I hope so, anyway.

Edit: I don't really know why I wrote this reply. I didn't mean to sound self-righteous or anything. I apologize if I did.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hope this doesn't come off as rude, but I can't help but wonder if you'd have this opinion if a character you really wanted was heavily rumored by "leakers".

This is pretty much the only time I've ever really wanted "leakers" to be right, so while you'd be popping your bottles, I'd be over here like:

View attachment 187262

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's very nice to celebrate people not getting something they really wanted just because it makes things more fun for you. Not that it matters, but if the shoe were on the other foot, I wouldn't be wishing against you getting Phoenix Wright for such a reason.

By the way, I'm pretty certain that "Brave" isn't Erdrick, so you'll most likely get your time to celebrate. That said, I do think there's a chance he'll show up down the road regardless. At least I hope so, anyway.

Edit: I don't really know why I wrote this comment, so sorry if this came off as pointless or stupid. I didn't mean to sound self-righteous or anything. I apologize if I did.
Well having had the shoe on the other foot, I completely understand it, and i feel like what some said wasn't personal at all to erdrick fans. Well flaxr in particular seems just upset at something that isn't fully the case maybe.

I wouldn't say that I'm divided about the leak, but I do still would rather that the bigger picture of the leak be fake, but that the erdrick part is true or a good guess :)

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Well having had the shoe on the other foot, I completely understand it, and i feel like what they said wasn't personal at all to erdrick fans.

I wouldn't say that I'm divided about the leak, but I do still would rather that the bigger picture of the leak be fake, but that the erdrick part is true or a good guess :)
Oh, I know they didn't mean anything personal. I just wanted to share my thoughts anyway, I guess. I kind of regret it now, though.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Joker was also the most remote chance when all we had to go on was that Sakurai liked the menus and the Smash Ultimate UI sort of tasted like P5.

There's hope, brother.
The credit roll looks like Automata's side scrolling sections. You know what THAT means.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh, I know they didn't mean anything personal. I just wanted to share my thoughts anyway, I guess. I kind of regret it now, though.
I wouldn't worry about it. I say things I think better about later all the time. I didn't even read well the posts here when I replied, and couldve said better.
We all like the characters we do. We hope they're in, and sometimes we get upset with others. We'll get better, .. pretty sure :)

There's still tons of other characters i'd like to see. Speculation on erdrick is interesting tho.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I wouldn't worry about it. I say things I think better about later all the time. I didn't even read well the posts here when I replied, and couldve said better.
We all like the characters we do. We hope they're in, and sometimes we get upset with others. We'll get better, .. pretty sure :)

There's still tons of other characters i'd like to see. Speculation on erdrick is interesting tho.
Pretty much every other character I want to see is impossible, so Erdrick is really the only character I have left to wish for. If he doesn't make it, then I'm pretty much done with speculation and will probably leave Smashboards for the most part.

I hope most people end up happy with the DLC choices, though. Even if I don't personally get who I want in the end.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pretty much every other character I want to see is impossible, so Erdrick is really the only character I have left to wish for. If he doesn't make it, then I'm pretty much done with speculation and will probably leave Smashboards for the most part.

I hope most people end up happy with the DLC choices, though. Even if I don't personally get who I want in the end.
Welll, there's all kinds of fans here which is interesting and a reason to come back to talk, even if not to speculate about characters we want in, but it is a pretty unique time when there's possibilities like these. At least I'm finding this thread quite cool with all the SE fans around.

We can't all be happy with who gets in, but new characters is hype of itself, and I'm pretty darn curious as to who's actually gonna make it.
But, it'll be so cool if we can have a DQ hero, imagine the dq sound effects, maybe even for spells and such.. Even if I'm not confident about the chances, they're still pretty good for dq as a whole i think, and that's cool :)

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

View attachment 187262

Edit: I don't really know why I wrote this reply. I didn't mean to sound self-righteous or anything. I apologize if I did.
If I'm being quite honest, my characters don't get leaked. Sora, Solaire, and 2B don't show up on anything notable and Joker was nonexistent for the longest time.

Rayman leaks have proven that people will go the far reaches of the universe to trick you. Even when you have video evidence, you can still get burned. So yeah, I try not to take heed to every little text leak that wants to claim itself as gospel.

Sure I talk a lot about Shadow but that was mostly speculation that took form back in August when Dark Samus and Chrom were promoted. I mean, yeah I fell to that temptress Mr. Grinch but that was me being nonsensical and gullible.

"Of course they can reveal 7 characters in one 40 minute direct."

Again, those were photos that took a lot of work to fake and I commend the effort.

Even back when Gematsu was raving about Chrom and it ended up being my favorite boy Robin, I actually GAINED from that.

By all means you didn't come off as rude. I don't mean to stomp on anyone's parade, and when Erdrick gets announced then congrats to you guys. But for the time being, until that trailer comes out, there's still a chance.

The credit roll looks like Automata's side scrolling sections. You know what THAT means.
YES! I totally pointed that out the first time I saw it and people said I was crazy for reaching that hard.

To be fair, shooting the credits is nothing new, but I believe this is the first time they did bullet hell style.

D

Deleted member

This brings up a point i want to bring up since everyone is acting Doom and Gloom when we're discussing the possibility of it not being Erdrick.

This is how actually Smash speculation is supposed to be.

Guys, it's supposed to be fun. If you're upset that we're mentioning the possibilities of a character that isn't who you were spoonfed to believe it is, then that's on you.

This is why I have my bottle popping ready for if it isn't Erdrick. Nothing against him or DQ, no matter how aggressively indifferent I am towards the series, but it's more that I want leakers to be wrong. Leaks are useless to me. I don't care. I don't care about anyone's "credibility". I'd rather have fun being wrong than to confine myself to delegating something that Internet Man said as gospel.

I'm more interested in the spark of hope that little Timmy here can get his Phoenix Wright or the glimmer of light that I've given you in regards to 2B.

It's more fun this way.
Understand your spirit and frankly I agree that the whole cycle would be a lot more entertaining if it was like a Kinder Egg where we dunno what we get until we open it, and its fun to imagine what we would get.

But on the other hand, I kinda like the way this particular leak is being developed with it being a list. Normally for Smash speculation, like it or not, speculation is always dominated by a specific set of characters with little to no changes unless one is confirmed. Which frankly can get a bit tiresome if its a set of characters that have been talked about for a long time. This kind of situation let people talk about characters that normally aren't talked as much in smash speculation, and in some cases even try franchises new to them. A few people even have warmed to the idea of Erdrick in Smash which is quite surprising.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Who sat on special visitor's seats in Satoru Iwata's funeral where just right next to his families?
Shigesato Itoi, the designer of MOTHER/EarthBound series and the person who came up with the name of Supuer Smash Bros.
Tsunekazu Ishihara, the producer of Pokemon series and the head of The Pokemon Company and Creatures Inc.
Yuuji Horii, the father of Dragon Quest series and the designer of the super influential detective adventure game Portopia Serial Murder Case.
And of cource, our daddy, Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of Kirby series and our all-time favourite Super Smash Bros.
They were always been good friends.
That's what gets me when someone says SE is using it for advertisement or w.e. Yes they are but Nintendo has actively wanted DQ to succeed here for a long time (Iwata did work on the translation of DQ1.) Yuji and DQ are almost part of the Nintendo family at this point.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's what gets me when someone says SE is using it for advertisement or w.e. Yes they are but Nintendo has actively wanted DQ to succeed here for a long time (Iwata did work on the translation of DQ1.) Yuji and DQ are almost part of the Nintendo family at this point.
For people here in the West, it's not a matter of not getting that Dragon Quest is Nintendo family or has a long history of supporting Nintendo even when Final Fantasy and other RPGS weren't.

It's the fact that Final Fantasy is the juggernaut here. It's the fact you've had a long standing popular request in Geno that even most of the basic Smash players seem to know. It's the fact that Kingdom Hearts is far more popular over here and shares cross pollination with Disney fans. It's the fact Square Enix also owns gaming icons like Lara Croft that people here are still extremely familiar with.

People are always going to want more of what they're familiar with and talk down what they're not familiar with.

Dragon Quest just simply isn't something that gets most Western fans excited despite it's known legacy and support because well....they don't know anything about it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If we're talking about likelihood again, I'm still almost 100% certain that Erdrick/any other DQ rep is coming. Nearly every piece of the SE rep puzzle since Vergeben brought it up in August has pointed to it. It may be blasphemous/heresy, but I do think LeakyPandy was correct (at least at a certain point in time). It's timing matches up with Tansut's claims of a company (very likely to be SE considering his own track record) being upset with a leak within a month of his posting (It was the beginning of October, iirc). Now that Tansut's tossed his hat into the "DQ Character is coming" ring, I'm even more convinced.

Regardless of whether "Brave" is Erdrick or not, I still think he's on the way. IMO, Brave is either Erdrick or Yuri and I'm fine with either one.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
If we're talking about likelihood again, I'm still almost 100% certain that Erdrick/any other DQ rep is coming. Nearly every piece of the SE rep puzzle since Vergeben brought it up in August has pointed to it. It may be blasphemous/heresy, but I do think LeakyPandy was correct (at least at a certain point in time). It's timing matches up with Tansut's claims of a company (very likely to be SE considering his own track record) being upset with a leak within a month of his posting (It was the beginning of October, iirc). Now that Tansut's tossed his hat into the "DQ Character is coming" ring, I'm even more convinced.

Regardless of whether "Brave" is Erdrick or not, I still think he's on the way. IMO, Brave is either Erdrick or Yuri and I'm fine with either one.
The issue with that is a trailer like Joker's takes months at a time to make. It couldn't have been as last minute as everyone thinks but idk.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The issue with that is a trailer like Joker's takes months at a time to make. It couldn't have been as last minute as everyone thinks but idk.
"Last minute" really only matters within context. If the decision for Joker was finalized a month and a half prior to the VGAs, that's still last minute considering the work load involved.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
14 days until the end of the month.

I thought January was almost over so we wouldn't get the Nintendo Direct after all. Turns out I thought the month was ending cuz my winter break ends on Monday :^(

Back to the old college grind. Would have been nice to get the direct this week or last week or something. Oh well.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
14 days until the end of the month.

I thought January was almost over so we wouldn't get the Nintendo Direct after all. Turns out I thought the month was ending cuz my winter break ends on Monday :^(

Back to the old college grind. Would have been nice to get the direct this week or last week or something. Oh well.
hopefully we get something right two weeks left

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
We know it's likely that it was planned as early as June 2018, given the tweeted footage between Reggie and Geoff mentioning a surprise in store at the Game Awards.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I'm still holding out hope for Neku and Sephiroth, but I honestly thought neither of them has ever had a real shot at making it into Smash and I still think their chances are low at best. While a character I'm unfamiliar with from a series I'm unfamiliar with would be an initial disappointment, it might lead me to trying a new game that I end up loving (happened with Shulk in Sm4sh), so if it's not one of the two I really want (and again, I doubt they'll make it in), it's not all bad and could end up being great :)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmm might as well excercise some no DQ-talk a bit.

Sephiroth. How would he play? How could they not make Masamune beyond broken with that range? I assume the size of that thing, at the very least, could be that of a fully powered Beam saber.

He has no Limit Break attacks per-se. So I Guess he could use stuff like Quake 3, Fire 3, Ice 3, Bolt 3?

And Final Smash would have him turn into that freaky final boss form and cast Supernova?

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman

Sephiroth. How would he play? How could they not make Masamune beyond broken with that range? I assume the size of that thing, at the very least, could be that of a fully powered Beam saber.

He has no Limit Break attacks per-se. So I Guess he could use stuff like Quake 3, Fire 3, Ice 3, Bolt 3?

And Final Smash would have him turn into that freaky final boss form and cast Supernova?
If you compare Masamune's sword length to Cloud's in their final battle in FFVII, both swords are actually about the same length (Masamune is probably a tad bit longer). If Sakurai were to use that design, he would likely have a similar reach as Ike or Cloud.

Otherwise I imagine the easy answer would be more startup and end lag.

D

Deleted member

Safer Sephiroth as FS is something that I could see happening, after all we have pig Ganon and Giga Bowser. Which would make me like if they could also make him a boss somehow.

Katana play could work a bit like Simon's in regards of setup and end lag, in that while it has long range it can leave you open for attacks afterwards.

For specials, I think Dissidia showed a few attacks created for Sephiroth that could be used. Need to replay the PSP ones, those were great.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If you compare Masamune's sword length to Cloud's in their final battle in FFVII, both swords are actually about the same length (Masamune is probably a tad bit longer). If Sakurai were to use that design, he would likely have a similar reach as Ike or Cloud.

Otherwise I imagine the easy answer would be more startup and end lag.
I honsestly couldn't picture it as long as Ike's because then it becomes a regular katana.

I think something around Corrin's lance maybe. And have thrust attacks being fast, and swing attacks have startup and cooldown lag.

His aerials could be a combination of Ike and Cloud's.

Nair: Cloud
Uair: Cloud
Bair: Ike
Fair: Ike

And Down air... I think we all know what that one would be. :p

Last edited:

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
I think Sephiroth would have some serious starting lag with all his moves... a really long wind up to balance out the range

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought, if they did another FF character, most notably Sephiroth, they would HAVE to add more music since its promised in the pack, as well as another FF stage, probably from 7.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Just a thought, if they did another FF character, most notably Sephiroth, they would HAVE to add more music since its promised in the pack, as well as another FF stage, probably from 7.
Honestly I think that's a big reason Sephiroth has gained a lot of traction is because people think they held back on the FF7 stuff to bundle with him.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There's so much FF music that should've been in.

I naively believed that they would at least include that Battle theme which I think is named Continuous Fighting, one that plays when you fight enemies one after another non-stop (like the Battle arena from Golden Saucer for example).

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Like this

Yes I know that's Kirito but he's a skin for Sephiroth in Smash Infinite and that's too good to not point out.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
DQ content in smash being one game is a genuine fear because 1. its lame to do just one of them 2. it wont even help people get into the series as a whole. Granted FF didnt NEED that anyway but it sure didn't help people get into games other than 7. Castlevanias wide spread is something franchises could only dream of.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
DQ content in smash being one game is a genuine fear because 1. its lame to do just one of them 2. it wont even help people get into the series as a whole. Granted FF didnt NEED that anyway but it sure didn't help people get into games other than 7. Castlevanias wide spread is something franchises could only dream of.
I'd definitely want to see stuff from all across the franchise, but I think DQ would be hurt a lot less by a narrow representation than a lot of other series, especially FF. DQIII at least has close connections to several other DQ games, especially some very recent ones, and its music and monsters reappear all over the place.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And we briefly talked about this in the erdrick thread, but putting a different hero on different alts (like bowser jr.) might be possible too.
There were counter-points to this and we talked a little around that. I still think it'd be a neat idea.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This comes off rather selfish to me. There are millions of characters out their who will NEVER see their day in Smash, so at least be a bit more appreciative if you get Erdrick. If Erdrick has to get in; I at least want his fans to be grateful for it.

D

Deleted member

This comes off rather selfish to me. There are millions of characters out their who will NEVER see their day in Smash, so at least be a bit more appreciative if you get Erdrick. If Erdrick has to get in; I at least want his fans to be grateful for it.
DQ is a series known with various heroes just like CV, so its natural to want one's favorites especially since a few can work as skins. If Erdrick is the only one we get its good, if we get additional skins its better.

I think its a valid fear, people like the characters represented the best they can.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
It's always more exciting when smash makes a whole series feel at home, especially if its gonna be for DLC. To go to the effort of getting permission to use the franchise in smash and then just to give it the bare minimum is disappointing for any franchise, especially 3rd party.

Top Bottom