• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Again all I'm sayin' is Geno's a real mascot AND a protagonist is all I'm saying haha
aaahahaha
aaahhh im so tired
aaaahaha
haha

ha
...Is he really the mascot of Super Mario RPG? I question that. Important to it, yes. But the thing is, there's kind of a difference between being highly popular and an actual mascot. There's a ton of characters in it. I love the game, but...

...Though that said, my guess is you're too tired and out of your mind and just don't have anything to say on the mascot thing?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
...Is he really the mascot of Super Mario RPG? I question that. Important to it, yes. But the thing is, there's kind of a difference between being highly popular and an actual mascot. There's a ton of characters in it. I love the game, but...

...Though that said, my guess is you're too tired and out of your mind and just don't have anything to say on the mascot thing?
Ahhh no I'm more mentally tired of the Squenix situation is what I meant! I'm here.

I think so. It kinda depends on how you define mascot? But he's very much the "face" of the game, just because he's a big part of why it's remembered in the modern day. There's no other real candidates.

It's less like he's an actual mascot, more like he'd just kinda BE the mascot by default if SMRPG truly had one.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ahhh no I'm more mentally tired of the Squenix situation is what I meant! I'm here.

I think so. It kinda depends on how you define mascot? But he's very much the "face" of the game, just because he's a big part of why it's remembered in the modern day. There's no other real candidates.

It's less like he's an actual mascot, more like he'd just kinda BE the mascot by default if SMRPG truly had one.
Okay, that makes more sense. Yeah, the game doesn't have a clear one. He's definitely the face to most.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Again all I'm sayin' is Geno's a real mascot AND a protagonist is all I'm saying haha
aaahahaha
aaahhh im so tired
aaaahaha
haha

ha

Joking aside, I too have grown incredibly tired of this phase of speculation. I thought nothing could be worse than the 4chan "Leak" Assault, but I was proven horribly wrong. Here's to hoping we get the Square Enix character within the next month or so.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, it is going around in circles. At least it shows that both Slime and Erdrick are heavily wanted for the DQ characters. Which isn't a bad thing.

Regardless, it'd be neat to hear more hard information or even leaks among the usual users like Verge. We have so little information right now.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I've got no horse in this race.
I'm just bored and depressed and seeing other people tear at each other is chicken soup for my soul.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Joking aside, I too have grown incredibly tired of this phase of speculation. I thought nothing could be worse than the 4chan "Leak" Assault, but I was proven horribly wrong. Here's to hoping we get the Square Enix character within the next month or so.
There are times when I think time moves fast because of how much time we spend on one activity, and then there's times like these when I think time's moving like a snail because we barely seem to move away from tension.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
me.jpg

I feel like this will happen when/if it's not Geno. If there's anything I've noticed lately, speculation is a ticking time bomb no matter who it will be. And oh boy, if we get Erdrick, it seems it will have the worst reaction here.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
View attachment 184934
I feel like this will happen when/if it's not Geno. If there's anything I've noticed lately, speculation is a ticking time bomb no matter who it will be. And oh boy, if we get Erdrick, it seems it will have the worst reaction here.
I made this btw lol. I made it around the time some of y'all began to doubt Polar when he started saying Erdrick is likelier then Geno. It sums up speculation in regards to leakers pretty well imo. Just because they're not vouching for a character you like doesn't mean you should doubt them; doubt them by the validity of their claims and nothing else.
There are times when I think time moves fast because of how much time we spend on one activity, and then there's times like these when I think time's moving like a snail because we barely seem to move away from tension.
One thing is true of this phase of speculation: with every piece of info we get, we end up right back where we started.

The only way to end this hell is to officially reveal the Square Enix character. Let's hope Reggie and co. deliver us from this agony soon.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The only way to end this hell is to officially reveal the Square Enix character. Let's hope Reggie and co. deliver us from this agony soon.
I suppose you're right. After witnessing and coming back sane from the Grinch and the aftermath, what can a bunch of rabid Geno fans do to make things worse than that?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
View attachment 184934
As a huge Geno fan (obviously) if anyone gets mad at you they need a slap upside the head
You busted your ass specifically for the Geno gang and whether he makes it or not you did some awesome work
Even if I can't tell if you're saying "he's still in the running" as a little lie to keep our spirits up LOL

Real talk though yeah if it's Erdrick this thread will be messy, but I'll be happy for his supporters. And mad at anyone who's mad at you!

D

Deleted member

I understand why people are tried, but you could just, y’know, log off. It’s not like any of us are legally bound to this thread, or at least I hope not.
Anyways ultimately people are gonna be more interested in seeing the two legendary heroes fight then seeing a legendary hero fight a generic mook, which is why the protagonist is usually chosen over the mascot.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that Erdrick rumor is false because - if Erdrick is in the game - it will be his NES Version - not the SNES Version where you can change the gender as Sakurai for third party NES Reps tend to go with their NES design over SNES.

So this design:

DQIIIHeroArt.png

Rather than this:

Hero3male.png

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
I noticed a new top of preferences in Japan.
http://www.gamekyo.com/blog_article388678.html

- Dragon Quest stands out on NES.
- Dragon Quest stands out on SNES.
- Shiren the Wanderer stands out on 64.
- Baten Kaitos, Resident Evil and Tales of Symphonia stand out on Cube.
- Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and The Last Story stand out on Wii.
- Shin Megami Tensei (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE) and Dragon Quest stand out on Wii U

- Dragon Quest stands out on Gameboy.
- Golden Sun and Ace Attorney stand out on Advance.
- Dragon Quest, Professor Layton, Shin Megami Tensei stand out on DS.
- Persona, Monster Hunter and Project X Zone stand out on 3DS
-> Project X Zone includes KOS-MOS as the main Namco representative.

This is not a question of leak or not : Dragon Quest will be represented in Smash Bros, because the license stands out most on Nintendo for Japaneses, on the 6/10 different consoles.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I have a feeling that Erdrick rumor is false because - if Erdrick is in the game - it will be his NES Version - not the SNES Version where you can change the gender as Sakurai for third party NES Reps tend to go with their NES design over SNES.

So this design:

View attachment 184941

Rather than this:

View attachment 184942
I..... actually find the NES design more interesting.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I noticed a new top of preferences in Japan.
http://www.gamekyo.com/blog_article388678.html

- Dragon Quest stands out on NES.
- Dragon Quest stands out on SNES.
- Shiren the Wanderer stands out on 64.
- Baten Kaitos, Resident Evil and Tales of Symphonia stand out on Cube.
- Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and The Last Story stand out on Wii.
- Shin Megami Tensei (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE) and Dragon Quest stand out on Wii U

- Dragon Quest stands out on Gameboy.
- Golden Sun and Ace Attorney stand out on Advance.
- Dragon Quest, Professor Layton, Shin Megami Tensei stand out on DS.
- Persona, Monster Hunter and Project X Zone stand out on 3DS

This is not a question of leak or not : Dragon Quest will be represented in Smash Bros, because the license stands out most on Nintendo for Japaneses, on the 6/10 different consoles.
I'm very confused as to why you're so certain, and confused on what this means. Yes, Dragon Quest is very popular in Japan, but pretty much only Japan. That would be why it's listed here (and not listed on everything). By your logic should we have Layton and KOS-MOS in Smash?

I..... actually find the NES design more interesting.
I hate Erdrick's neon SNES design haha, I like the slightly more muted NES one, but I'm still not super keen on it.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
What is the parallel with the affirmation : "Dragon Quest stands out on the 6/10 different Nintendo consoles" ?
It's your logic, not mine !
Only in Japan. The western world largely has no idea about DQ, and I'd like to ask what were you talking about when you said KOS-MOS as a Bamco rep when he is on one of ten, so by your own logic they shouldn't be in.

D

Deleted member

Only in Japan. The western world largely has no idea about DQ, and I'd like to ask what were you talking about when you said KOS-MOS as a Bamco rep when he is on one of ten, so by your own logic they shouldn't be in.
Can we please stop acting as if DQ is some unknown entity in the west instead of one of the most influential RPG of all times?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Do you see why I got confused?

Can we please stop acting as if DQ is some unknown entity in the west instead of one of the most influential RPG of all times?
96% of sales come from Japan only. The west hasn't been properly exposed to it (apart from VII, VIII and XI I think.)
Of course DQ is very influential, and the west has felt the influence, but the games themselves, not so much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you see why I got confused?

96% of sales come from Japan only. The west hasn't been properly exposed to it (apart from VII, VIII and XI I think.)
Of course DQ is very influential, and the west has felt the influence, but the games themselves, not so much.
It's not like those 96% are small though. Percentages mean nothing without the proper context. Those 4% western sales are bigger than some franchises currently represented in Smash. And it's not like where those sales come from actually matter to game companies, it's money all the same.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I'm very confused as to why you're so certain, and confused on what this means. Yes, Dragon Quest is very popular in Japan, but pretty much only Japan. That would be why it's listed here (and not listed on everything). By your logic should we have Layton and KOS-MOS in Smash?

I hate Erdrick's neon SNES design haha, I like the slightly more muted NES one, but I'm still not super keen on it.
There's also the question of - Kid Erdrick or Adult Erdrick

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Well personally, I don’t have much invested with any of the characters in the Square 7. At most, I’m just OK with most of them. So for me, I don’t have any real investment in the Square rep unless it’s outside those 7 (which may seem ironic considering how often I post on this thread).

But yeah, this speculation cycle is starting to get really repetitive. Hopefully some new info (official or from a seemingly somewhat credible leak) comes soon.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Yep. And because it's an inconsistency I am comfortable if it's held against Xenother.
Nothing against the guy, it's never anything personal against leakers; but I just keep seeing this weird habit where people go "well it's such a small detail it doesn't really count so yeah".
That's all fine and well and I don't mind it in the slightest, as long as you don't choose to willfully ignore things that happened to be correct.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough. Though refresh me. What's your track record so far in the leaking business?
Considering I'm about a month and a half in, and I've mostly been focusing on Smash DLC, it's short. I leaked out the Persona announcement and what would be announced prior to yesterday's reveal. As for Smash stuff, I've made a few claims that will pay off as the reveals start coming in.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Okay. What in god's name is going on with the characters? Is there a new leak or something?

xenother

Smash Apprentice
"A lot" and "certain" is a big statement.

Xenother seems pretty sure on it.
PolarPanda has a lot of reason to think it's Erdrick but seems to believe it's still anyone's game
Verge may be leaning towards Erdrick but has yet to outright say so
Hitagi doesn't **** with Smash much lately so not sure what to tell you there

Outside of there, I've rarely seen any actual insiders state they think it's Erdrick. There's your "big 4" for Smash spec and their opinions; I can't recall anyone else.
Tansut aka the guy that leaked Cloud for Smash 4 DLC has confirmed Erdrick as well now, on resetera.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Tansut aka the guy that leaked Cloud for Smash 4 DLC has confirmed Erdrick as well now, on resetera.
Welp, if you ask me, that is definitely confirmation that it's Erdrick then if Tansut is saying that it's him. At least, that's my view, given he was the only one able to confidently leak Cloud.

Temper your expectations, as I always recommend, but that just sealed the deal for me personally.

ETA: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...wdown-of-ultimate-destiny.84900/post-16411936

The source of Tansut's claim, for those who want to see it!

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Welp, if you ask me, that is definitely confirmation that it's Erdrick then if Tansut is saying that it's him. At least, that's my view, given he was the only one able to confidently leak Cloud.

Temper your expectations, as I always recommend, but that just sealed the deal for me personally.

ETA: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...wdown-of-ultimate-destiny.84900/post-16411936

The source of Tansut's claim, for those who want to see it!
Hang on. He says it gets the character right. But didn't it mention Luminary and Analucia too? As altswaps or colors, I think.
Considering I'm about a month and a half in, and I've mostly been focusing on Smash DLC, it's short. I leaked out the Persona announcement and what would be announced prior to yesterday's reveal. As for Smash stuff, I've made a few claims that will pay off as the reveals start coming in.
Hmm. So a bit of a rookie eh? I'd ask how you got your start, but I'm guessing that's classified. Still keen to see an era in the making, I'll be monitoring this history with gusto.

Now, I'm gonna do my psychic thing and guess that you haven't heard anything regarding Phoenix Wright, Sephiroth, NiGHTS, Neku or Master Chief, no? I'm right aren't I? XD

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hang on. He says it gets the character right. But didn't it mention Luminary and Analucia too? As altswaps or colors, I think.
I think so, but I can't say I remember very clearly, as I've... literally just woken up lmao. That being said, either way, I'm definitely putting my money on it at least being a DQ hero now, given Tansut is incredibly reliable with Square Smash DLC.

also listen this looks great for phoenix so i cant complain

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
also listen this looks great for phoenix so i cant complain
Oh? You knew about that too? Yeah, I know, it's great!
I think so, but I can't say I remember very clearly, as I've... literally just woken up lmao. That being said, either way, I'm definitely putting my money on it at least being a DQ hero now, given Tansut is incredibly reliable with Square Smash DLC.
True that. Now there's a man who's on Ryce tier levels with being trustworthy.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
At this point I didn't think I could be further disappointed with the DLC situation, but as more and more leakers throw their hat in with erdrick, I find the bottom keeps dropping out.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Damn, really do be like that for Geno fans, I guess. Hope Erdrick fans are satisfied with the character, he might not be my cup of tea, but if you enjoy him, all the more power to you!

Top Bottom